• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Dr.Acula

Banned
When we lived in Vancouver, there was a Denny's near our apartment that we went to regularly and there was this waitress that was friendly and eventually she said she'd like to hang out or whatever and gave us her email address and we were like "Oh, er, hmm" and just stopped going there forever.

You can take the Torontonian out of Toronto, but you can't take the Toronto out of the Torontonian :)

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, you scrubs keep bringing up a meet up, but I asked before what day and time?

We could do a ramen meet up if enough are interested, show of posts?

Anyone?

Quad is saying Ramen Raijin on a weekend afternoon and it makes sense since Sansotei was pretty empty when I was there.

soultron

Banned
Ok, you scrubs keep bringing up a meet up, but I asked before what day and time?

Anyone?

Quad is saying Ramen Raijin on a weekend afternoon and it makes sense since Sansotei was pretty empty when I was there.

I'm down. Not this weekend (Mother's Day) but I'd be good for next weekend. Daytime?

I could make a weeknight but it really depends on how late it is. I tend to leave work between 7 and 9 most nights.

Real ramen talk.

I'm beginning to think we're at the point of saturation now. I'm with Kuro that back oh, 7-10 years ago the only place where you could get restaurant ramen was at Kenzo in North York.

Nowadays even the splurge sushi joints on the Danforth have it on the menu. There's that huge cluster of 7 restaurants between OCAD to Ryerson. I'm thinking 2-3 of those won't last till the end of the year. Sorry Ryu's noodle bar...

Yeah, I don't think Ryu's will last very long. It was good the few times I've had it, but I'd never jump at the chance to go when Kinton (the GOAT) is right next door and very worth the wait if there's a line up.

I agree that the saturation of ramen joints seems to be hitting a tipping point. There's another new location that opened a few months ago, Isshin Ramen, near Sneaky Dee's. It never stops!

krae_man

Anyone?

Just pick a time and day and I'll go if I can. As long as theirs booze, eats, and a sausage fest, I'm game.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I'm down. Not this weekend (Mother's Day) but I'd be good for next weekend. Daytime?

I could make a weeknight but it really depends on how late it is. I tend to leave work between 7 and 9 most nights.

Yeah, I don't think Ryu's will last very long. It was good the few times I've had it, but I'd never jump at the chance to go when Kinton (the GOAT) is right next door and very worth the wait if there's a line up.

I agree that the saturation of ramen joints seems to be hitting a tipping point. There's another new location that opened a few months ago, Isshin Ramen, near Sneaky Dee's. It never stops!
I...what is this nonsense? You were crowning Sansotei whilst I said Kinton! You switched sides?

Isshin Ramen...I should try it...my blood sugar hnnghghghg!!!
Sushimoto North York meetup when it's stupid hot out.

Hmmm...! Man, do I miss that place. It's just too far for me to go to regularly.

I'm holding out hope one of you other people will get this meet up done this time. We may have Don Quick and also pop Samyy's ramen cherry too.

...why does that sound so dirty...

Oh look a bunch of generic Asians talking about ramen. Doesn't look like I'm missing much in TO.

In other news, some guy jumped off the tallest building here (1000 feet tall) and landed about 50 meters from me. Good times.

Apparently I heard that girls seem to like ryu more than kinton, it's quiet enough for a conversation while kinton is loud, but kinton is certainly tastier.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Never. Kinton has always been my favourite. I just got my head wrap/chef towel the other day for finishing 30 bowls!
I looked and you are right. I apologize, fellow bowler! 30 bowls is pretty nuts. I think it was 1000?? You get free ramen for live, or was it 10000? Forget blood sugar, watch out for that sodium, brother! I'm on 1 bowl...

Livefromkyoto was talkin smack about it.

Though people kept pimping Ryoji...now I may try it. And can someone recommend another hot pot place besides celebrity hot pot... Damn wife... :(
Hello fellow kinton bowler!

Kinton is awesome, love the chicken broth but with pork belly, the chicken broth is so concentrated...
Man, that pork belly...it's all Quad's fault. Why did I listen to him and get an extra order of it? Damn your hide, Quad!

Rinoa

tnt night markets & the stank tofu

tumblr_lj9qjx46Ao1qixleeo1_500.gif

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I'll be in the states next weekend :(
Any time after that works except middle/end of June.
Next weekend is the long weekend...hmmm...
I'll see what he says. He might not be here much longer. We may have to do a long distance thing.
Poor James. Carlyle never gave him a chance :(

People who can stand the smell of stinky tofu have obviously lost their sense of smell long ago.
The only thing maybe worse is the bondegi I had in Korea. Don't google that...tasted and smelled terrible.

Lol. The guy cosplaying is very familiar. Can't remember the name of the anime

Its Hatarku Maou Sama, I believe.

For some reason I found the green jackets with the red start the girls are wearing to be far more odd that I didn't even realize the guy was in a cosplay outfit.

soultron

Banned
Lol. The guy cosplaying is very familiar. Can't remember the name of the anime

That pose screams "every anime ever," to be fair! :p

The numerous de facto anime character poses (demure for women, stoic and decidedly nonchalant for men) are one of the things I've grown to hate about anime. It's almost as if character designers are saying to cosplayers, "PLEASE DO THIS POSE WHEN YOU DO A COSPLAY OF MY CHARACTER(S)!!"

Quadratic

Hey south Asian TO-GAF. Where in your opinion is the best spot to get Briyani? Bonus points of you can give me recommendations in the east end.

Azih

Ugh more Carlyle..

Anyway has anyone here worked at a Polling Station before? How was your experience?

http://wemakevotingeasy.ca/en/working-for-the-election.aspx

The processes and procedures are a bit complicated but nothing mind bending. It can get a bit hectic during busy times. Long day too. The vote counting at the end is fun. Not a bad way to spend a day really. You realize at the end that mistakes only matter if it's a close race. If one person is in a comfortable lead than no one really gives a shit.

Quadratic

Man there's a million. Take out or sit down?

I know there are tons. It's separating the wheat from the chaff. I've eaten at most of the spots on Gerrard. I personally think Lahore Tikka House is a bit overrated.

Take out or sit down is fine.

I got some to go from Mekkah today near Donlands and Danforth

soultron

Banned
Speaking of Indian, went to Cinnamon on The Beaches (Queen St. E) and it was the bomb. I had so much lamb briyani left when I was done eating. They also do it in a really cool way: the meat is packed in rice and seasoned as normal, but it's done in a small clay pot and they draped some sort of crispy, almost flake pastry-ish bread over top of it. When it's served, you need to cut into the bread to get to the rice and meat in the clay pot.

GF had the butter chicken and it was crazy good as well.

Azih

I know there are tons. It's separating the wheat from the chaff. I've eaten at most of the spots on Gerrard. I personally think Lahore Tikka House is a bit overrated.

Take out or sit down is fine.

I got some to go from Mekkah today near Donlands and Danforth

Well, Silver Spoon for takeout on Sheppard and McCowan is popular with the community for takeout. It's a full takeout place though so no seating but a lot of food for less. Shaheen Tikka & Kabab near the Ontario science center is fine for sit down. Really a lot of the good South Asian places are not in the core. It's Pakistani fare, which is a lot like Northern Indian but spicier, less creamy, and more focused on meat from my experience.

Quadratic

Well, Silver Spoon for takeout on Sheppard and McCowan is popular with the community for takeout. It's a full takeout place though so no seating but a lot of food for less. Shaheen Tikka & Kabab near the Ontario science center is fine for sit down. Really a lot of the good South Asian places are not in the core. It's Pakistani fare, which is a lot like Northern Indian but spicier, less creamy, and more focused on meat from my experience.

Thanks. That's actually really helpful. I tend to stay near the core. But I am willing to travel out. Especially when I get cravings for Filipino food.

I find this phenomenon crosses over to Chinese food. A lot of the "good" spots have moved out out Scarborough or Markham. Available space for a restaurant + parking factors in a lot of cases. The decline of the Gerrard St. Chinatown continues. I've noticed more business closures recently.

zroid

Banned
+1 for Silver Spoon, their seekh kebabs are very good. Soft though, so if you prefer them a bit firmer then you might not love 'em.

Top Bottom