• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Oppo

I know there are tons. It's separating the wheat from the chaff. I've eaten at most of the spots on Gerrard. I personally think Lahore Tikka House is a bit overrated.

Take out or sit down is fine.

I got some to go from Mekkah today near Donlands and Danforth

Makkah. I love that place. Well, usually. It can vary quite a bit. But I order from there all the time. It's almost impossible to sit in there.

Quadratic

Anyone going to TCAF this weekend? Seems to be getting bigger every year. Honestly, I think it's outgrown the Reference Library but the organizers want it to remain free. I usually do one or two passes and then jet because it gets pretty crowded.

Anyone going to TCAF this weekend? Seems to be getting bigger every year. Honestly, I think it's outgrown the Reference Library but the organizers want it to remain free. I usually do one or two passes and then jet because it gets pretty crowded.
Do the comics writers and artists do signings? I might go to get some of my stuff signed by Ed Brubaker and Jeff Smith. And I have always wanted to meet Kate Beaton.

Being free at the library does attract a huge demographic. Plus, it helps set the tone regarding the breadth of comics they want to showcase.

Do the comics writers and artists do signings? I might go to get some of my stuff signed by Ed Brubaker and Jeff Smith. And I have always wanted to meet Kate Beaton.

Many writers and artists do signings. Sometimes at special events, signing events, and booths. It depends, so be sure to check for the artist you want.

Roto13

I'm definitely going. Actually, I need to look at the schedule and see if there are any panels I want to see.

Kate Beaton is definitely doing a few signings over the course of the weekend. I dunno if Jeff Smith is doing one. He was a featured guest a couple of years ago and I got him to sign one of my Bone books. That was awesome.

tZaBa.jpg

Kate Beaton has a talk tonight @ the Reference Library. Probably a good chance there's going to be a signing afterwards

Kate Beaton and Lynn Johnston. There's a signing afterwards, according to the TCAF site, but tickets are gone. (And I forgot to get mine. Bah.)

explodet

Nerdy events are getting ridiculously crowded.
This year we'll most likely be grabbing a few select books and then getting out before we get trampled.

Can't wait to see how many people go against the "we're rather you not cosplay" suggestion.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Hudak announces that he'll cut 100k public sector jobs. I don't know why that would make anyone want to vote for him, but I guess I just don't understand conservatives.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Hudak announces that he'll cut 100k public sector jobs. I don't know why that would make anyone want to vote for him, but I guess I just don't understand conservatives.
He's gonna cut our jobs!

VOTE HIM INTO OFFICE!

mini review of disappointment.
Kibo Sushi
Bleh! I waited 30 minutes for THIS?!

Sashimi was way too cold - like they pulled it out pre cut and tossed it on. Nigiri was terrible. Fish to rice ratio was way off; too much rice. There wasn't enough vinegar in the rice so it was bland and also undercooked. There were some harder kernels in the rice too.

Fuck, even the tempura was bland. How the hell does someone screw that up?! Minimum the shrimp would give it flavour but didn't.

The maki rolls we had were hard to chew according to my wife cause the seaweed was too moist.

Most disappointing of all was the aburi. Half the price of JaBistro and nowhere near as good. Fish tasted off, didn't smell great, and was a struggle to finish.

Final verdict = slightly better than TNT sushi...at the end of the day...

jl4855

http://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2014/05/09/rob_ford_one_wild_night_in_march.html

It’s two days after Ford’s celebrated appearance on Jimmy Kimmel Live, two months before rehab.

In the course of this March 5 night, Ford will bring together two of his closest felon friends, beating one and accepting drugs from another; go on a racist tirade; and boast that he often has sex with “girls” in front of his wife, according to an account of the evening. He will suggest one man could have sex with her, a source has told the Star, recalling Ford’s words.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member

That's easy. Public sector is full of evil scum sucking bastards that just coast by in their cushy government jobs while the Ontario taxpayer (which obviously doesn't include public sector workers) has to pay the bill for their slacking. Getting rid of these people does nothing but free up money that could otherwise go towards tax cuts.

jl4855

That's easy. Public sector is full of evil scum sucking bastards that just coast by in their cushy government jobs while the Ontario taxpayer (which obviously doesn't include public sector workers) has to pay the bill for their slacking. Getting rid of these people does nothing but free up money that could otherwise go towards tax cuts.

hey hey hey hey hey what is going on here? some of us are in these jobs...

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Well the part about him fucking other women in front of his wife is an obvious fabrication.
Seriously, who would let Rob Ford put his twanger in them.
Hookers...lots and lots of hookers?
How dare those evil gov't scum show up late? (Or was it napping). FIRE THEM ALL!

hey hey hey hey hey what is going on here? some of us are in these jobs...
Joke over head

Unless it's your joke over my head...

In other news, kraftwerk likes good beer and kave_man likes bud light.
Kraftwerk to destroy kave_man at next meet up.

Edit: the building that never dies. The restaurant in the corner of Broadview and Dundas is now a Chino Locos...wonder how long they'll last...

Roto13

Man, TCAF has gotten too popular. It's a fight to get near any of the tables. The line to get into the floor 2 salon wrapped like all the way around the floor. (It's always at capacity.)

At least I got a ton of streetpasses.

explodet

I got to TCAF right when the doors opened, and got out after about an hour and a half. The crowds around then were getting bad.
We hung outside for a while and went back in a little before 1pm - holy hell, the crowds.

And I forgot my 3DS. Curses.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
TCAF is at it's breaking point I feel. It need a larger venue as it keeps getting more popular.

Something will have to give in these next few years.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
TCAF is at it's breaking point I feel. It need a larger venue as it keeps getting more popular.

Something will have to give in these next few years.

Or, it can go in the opposite direction like comic con toronto and merge with other shitty cons and get worse...

Why was everything in my youth better? :(

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
comic con toronto was always shit though.

Stick to burgers and being generic Kuro.
Back when I went a loooooong time ago, I enjoyed it and there were good deals. The last time I went with the missus, it was mixed with the horror con or some shit, it was farther away, the guests were shittier, deals were non existent, and it was much smaller than I remembered.

I hope kraftwerk ends your ass next time so I can take over Leafs age...

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Back when I went a loooooong time ago, I enjoyed it and there were good deals. The last time I went with the missus, it was mixed with the horror con or some shit, it was farther away, the guests were shittier, deals were non existent, and it was much smaller than I remembered.

I hope kraftwerk ends your ass next time so I can take over Leafs age...

Wait just to be sure you're talking about the actual Comic Con Toronto and not Fan Expo right?

Because Fan Expo was pretty awesome until it started mixing everything together and getting bigger and bigger. I remember walking up to the ticket booth on Friday night and getting a weekend pass then meeting Adam West.

soultron

Banned
I'll probably go tomorrow to check it out, never been to TCAF before.

Getting ready for hipster cosplay romantic encounter thread tomorrow night. Do not disappoint me, Kraft.

I went today and agree it's getting a bit overcrowded. I couldn't get into the Salon section on the 2F and the 1F tables were megacrowded.

zroid

Banned
One of our backyard neighbours have a gorgeous pink magnolia tree standing right by our shared fence. It's just coming into bloom now, and we probably get an even better view of it than they do... but the flowers all fall into their yard!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Wait just to be sure you're talking about the actual Comic Con Toronto and not Fan Expo right?

Because Fan Expo was pretty awesome until it started mixing everything together and getting bigger and bigger. I remember walking up to the ticket booth on Friday night and getting a weekend pass then meeting Adam West.

oh shit....yes, Fan Expo, not comic con.

Sigh...I'm old, gimme a break :(

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Hudak booted off TTC while announcing transit plan
http://www.citynews.ca/2014/05/11/hudak-booted-off-ttc-while-announcing-transit-plan/

The TTC was not the better way for a campaigning Ontario PC Leader Tim Hudak.

His campaign team attempted to hold a press conference on a subway train Sunday to announce new transit plans.

But they, and the gathered media, were asked to leave the subway by TTC security because the transit service bans campaigning in areas accessed by paying a fare.

“Candidates can hold events outside stations or canvass outside the fare-paid area, but doing so on platforms or vehicles is not permitted,” TTC spokesperson Brad Ross told CityNews in an email.

Hudak’s campaign team apologized to reporters for not acquiring the proper permits, but according to Ross there are no permits that would allow campaigning in the paid areas.

First he tried to launch his campaign at a music studio but gets called out there for trying to cut funding to music programs and now this. This guy is something.

Went to the Ed Brubaker Noir talk. Was freaking awesome.

Missed Jeff Smith.

Didn't get anything signed or get any good pictures

Well at least the talk was great!

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Went to the Indigo on John and Richmond today. I forgot that it's closing, that makes me so sad :(.

Top Bottom