• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Dyno

Center Island was really nice this weekend. The Carousel was a great place to sit on a patio, drink beer, and eat calamari.

Rinoa

Phone peeps, what's the best way to upgrade to a samsung s5? I'm on rogers and my bills with it suck, is it worth changing to a new carrier now? (is Wind good?)

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
So Hudak wants to increase elementary/highschool school classes to 60 < Not a Typo

I don't think he's actually said 60 students. He's said that he wants to cut teachers and would increase class sizes, but no hard numbers. 60 students per class would be insane. Not only would it be a nightmare to teach that many young kids, but how many classrooms out there right now can fit more than 30-40 students? They'd have to renovate every school in Ontario to accommodate the increased sizes.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I don't think he's actually said 60 students. He's said that he wants to cut teachers and would increase class sizes, but no hard numbers. 60 students per class would be insane. Not only would it be a nightmare to teach that many young kids, but how many classrooms out there right now can fit more than 30-40 students? They'd have to renovate every school in Ontario to accommodate the increased sizes.

Yeah you're right, I guess people misheard him. Regardless he wants to cut 5900 teachers.

Azih

Considering how popular the all day kindergarten type policies are I really think that this is a dumb way to go for Hudak. The hate for teacher's union isn't very high right now I think.

Blackhead

Redarse
Phone peeps, what's the best way to upgrade to a samsung s5? I'm on rogers and my bills with it suck, is it worth changing to a new carrier now? (is Wind good?)

I seem to recall a trade-in program... what phone do you have now?

Wind is great value if you're in Toronto

Considering how popular the all day kindergarten type policies are I really think that this is a dumb way to go for Hudak. The hate for teacher's union isn't very high right now I think.

He's saying all this extremist stuff because no one in Ontario votes. So he's trying to get his base all hyped up and they'll turn out to the polls. People who don't want Hudak to win will stay home and watch Family Feud or something.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just now getting ready to go back to school to pursue a teaching degree, lol. Hudak pls
Do you have any experience teaching?
Do you have desirable teachables?
What age group you want to teach?
Do you have a connection to someone in school administration?
Are you willing to work on contract?
Are you willing to teach special ed?
Are you willing to teach in the suburbs/outside the GTA?
Are you ok with the government fucking you over?
Are you willing to look long and hard before you get a contract position?
Are you willing to look and work for years before you get something permanent?
Do you have a back up plan in case?

These are the questions I had to answer when I looked into it some more and my conclusion was "fuck this shit".

I know many people with their degrees who did dick all or never got into teaching. Some worked retail, some entry level jobs, some sales (selling literacy books), and mah gawd...

Rinoa

I'm only ever in cities but I do need to call USA a lot and roam into it.. hrm.

Can't trade in my phone, it's a dead blackberry (lol washingmachine)

krae_man

I'm only ever in cities but I do need to call USA a lot and roam into it.. hrm.

Can't trade in my phone, it's a dead blackberry (lol washingmachine)

Wind Mobile has a $60/month plan with unlimited Canada and US Wide Calling, Unlimited US roaming(Calling both in the US and back to Canada, Text both back to Canada and US and unlimited Data) , Global text, and Voicemail for $60/month. It also comes with a $500 phone subsidy.

Just double check their Canadian coverage area to see how often you leave it.

FYI data is soft capped at 5gb, you get throttled after. Speeds will be worse then Rogers/Bell/Telus but rates are amazing if their coverage area works for you.

Jayhawk

Anybody have a recommendation for a shop for buying and installing tires in the northeast-ish part of the city (North York, Scarborough, Markham)? My summer tires and winter tires are pretty much done, and I will likely just buy all-seasons this time around.

I'm just now getting ready to go back to school to pursue a teaching degree, lol. Hudak pls
Be prepared to wait a LONG time before getting a permanent teaching job, regardless of whether Hudak becomes the premier of Ontario, teachers just don't retire, and the least tenured you are the worst you'll be treated, it's a great paying job when you're tenured.

Teaching is one of the worst degrees to pursue right now. I know a ton of unemployed teachers. Be prepared to substitute or even not work at all for a very long time. However, going overseas and teaching English is always in demand, so you can go that route.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Teaching is one of the worst degrees to pursue right now. I know a ton of unemployed teachers. Be prepared to substitute or even not work at all for a very long time. However, going overseas and teaching English is always in demand, so you can go that route.

Don't need a teaching degree to do that. And I didn't find a big difference between those with B.Eds and those without. Those with a legit TESL degree though did have an edge.

i just got back from overseas. i don't mind working overseas for a bit, or substituting. i really do like the profession.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
i just got back from overseas. i don't mind working overseas for a bit, or substituting. i really do like the profession.
Hope the passion stays with you. Becoming a teacher is one thing, but getting into the system is another thing entirely. Come to the next meet up and we can discuss further.

Speaking of which, ummmmm...when you gonna make the meet up thread, added_time?

Omlagus

Anybody have a recommendation for a shop for buying and installing tires in the northeast-ish part of the city (North York, Scarborough, Markham)? My summer tires and winter tires are pretty much done, and I will likely just buy all-seasons this time around.

Steelcase Tires

http://www.steelcasetires.ca/

They are near Steeles and Woodbine. I've bought two sets of tires from there in the past. Price was pretty good, from what I remember, and installed while you wait.

zroid

Banned

I don't have any experience personally, but my parents have been getting it done at Active Green+Ross in Markham for several years, and I think they're pretty happy. They bought the winter tires there and I believe lifetime free tire-swap was included.

LOL. All so lazy.

Yes.

Oh, and I met "Yohei" from Chi's Sweet Home during TCAF! Yohei Sadoshima, former editor at Kodansha, was speaking at the Japan Foundation :D.

TCAF was very busy, but I didn't find it impossible to get into the 2nd floor area. The wait was actually really short. I really enjoyed the panels, and I got a few new books, all signed by the authors of course.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
What do you mean by "all"?

Racist.

I didn't exclude anyone. Are YOU making the meet up thread? I could cross you off my lazy list then.

She's a smelly alt?! D:

i4GoKaFaL0Kw7.jpg

krae_man

I would totally do it and book a reservation at Wrst so we can finally get some sausage but I have no idea what weekends I'm free right now. If you are all still lazy asses by the time my personal stuff gets cleared up I'll do it.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I would totally do it and book a reservation at Wrst so we can finally get some sausage but I have no idea what weekends I'm free right now. If you are all still lazy asses by the time my personal stuff gets cleared up I'll do it.
And he's not even in Toronto, you lazy bums!

D:

Shaddup! I did it last time!

Kraftwerk

My buddy went to Wrst this morning and surprised us with some food, it was delicious of course.

Someone make the meetup thread already, or I will D:

Rinoa

Wind Mobile has a $60/month plan with unlimited Canada and US Wide Calling, Unlimited US roaming(Calling both in the US and back to Canada, Text both back to Canada and US and unlimited Data) , Global text, and Voicemail for $60/month. It also comes with a $500 phone subsidy.

Just double check their Canadian coverage area to see how often you leave it.

FYI data is soft capped at 5gb, you get throttled after. Speeds will be worse then Rogers/Bell/Telus but rates are amazing if their coverage area works for you.

Sanks. Ended up getting a galaxy S5, the lack of coverage areas of wind made me iffy. I wish wireless in Canada wasn't so lame.

anyone going to this?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
My buddy went to Wrst this morning and surprised us with some food, it was delicious of course.

Someone make the meetup thread already, or I will D:
He got take out...?

I say we do the meet up at Wvrst and make your reservation. Set a warning in the OP, and if people aren't there at a certain time then you go in with the fewer people. Y'all adults that have a watch or smartphone.

Willectro

Banned
He got take out...?

I say we do the meet up at Wvrst and make your reservation. Set a warning in the OP, and if people aren't there at a certain time then you go in with the fewer people. Y'all adults that have a watch or smartphone.

Wvrst has great food, but I hate the hipster cafeteria style setup. Just seems lazy.

Top Bottom