• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

krae_man

Sanks. Ended up getting a galaxy S5, the lack of coverage areas of wind made me iffy. I wish wireless in Canada wasn't so lame.

As long as you turn off data roaming on the phone(unless you are in the states and have the roaming add on), Saving buckets of money every month is worth paying $5-$10 in roaming fees every now and again when you go to the cottage for a week or something.

The only time I ever leave the coverage area is when I'm on the 401 between Guelph and Milton. I'm surprised they haven't closed that gap yet. They have Hwy 115 between Peterborough and the 401 covered but not 401 between Guelph and Milton. Go figure.

Willectro

Banned
I don't know who to believe.

I dunno if it's a time of day/week thing, but when I went (and maybe I'm just naive to this restaurant format) you lined up first to order food and drinks, then pay. You take a number, sit down at the long benches and someone drops off your order. I'm not terribly interested lining up each time I want a beer. If the price was a bit cheaper maybe, but I seem to remember it cost my girlfriend and I nearly $30 for 2 sausages, 1 duck fries, a beer, and a water. The brats are worth it though.

As long as you turn off data roaming on the phone(unless you are in the states and have the roaming add on), Saving buckets of money every month is worth paying $5-$10 in roaming fees every now and again when you go to the cottage for a week or something.

The only time I ever leave the coverage area is when I'm on the 401 between Guelph and Milton. I'm surprised they haven't closed that gap yet. They have Hwy 115 between Peterborough and the 401 covered but not 401 between Guelph and Milton. Go figure.

I've only been hit with roaming up in the Muskoka area and in the States......and Wind roaming rates were better than my friends had with the big 3

Wind has gotten a ton better and I've saved so much money

Originally Posted by Zeer0id

I went a few years ago, it's neat. Worth going if you're a fan considering it's free. If they're setting up the Iron Throne again, expect a lineup for that though, lol.

I sat on the Iron Throne in Vegas, it was in the lobby of the hotel, also Game of Throne room keys and do not disturb sign :p

I don't know who to believe.

I work 2 mins away and have been there many, many times. It's expensive, the "atmosphere" is non existant and the portions are incredibly small and unsatisfying. You're eating glorified hot dogs.

If you want some interesting beer choices while sitting in a cafeteria, I guess it's worth checking out. Otherwise just get a better beer selection and vibe from Bier Market across the street or Bar Hop just down the street. Westlodge, Valdez and Gusto101 in the area are all very good too for social events (Valdez and Gusto have amazing patios).

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I work 2 mins away and have been there many, many times. It's expensive, the "atmosphere" is non existant and the portions are incredibly small and unsatisfying. You're eating glorified hot dogs.

If you want some interesting beer choices while sitting in a cafeteria, I guess it's worth checking out. Otherwise just get a better beer selection and vibe from Bier Market across the street or Bar Hop just down the street. Westlodge, Valdez and Gusto101 in the area are all very good too for social events (Valdez and Gusto have amazing patios).
Huh, so Krafty is lying?!

All hail Kave_Man, Leader of Leafs GAF!

Nah, he still likes Coors lite...

Bier Markt was also too crowded and stuffy for us too. We did go to Bar Hop though. U like the one at shops on don mills though.

Huh, so Krafty is lying?!

All hail Kave_Man, Leader of Leafs GAF!

Nah, he still likes Coors lite...

Bier Markt was also too crowded and stuffy for us too. We did go to Bar Hop though. U like the one at shops on don mills though.

Spirithouse opened not too long ago just up Portland. I haven't been yet but I hear OK things.

Ultimately I don't really understand why a bunch of Gaffers would be doing hanging out in King West but whatever. 3030 in the Junction would be a great spot I would think but it's a bit out of the way for anyone who doesn't live downtown west.

zroid

Banned
Free Go-Karting (if you're early)

201401_NOCL_MK_Main.jpg

201403_NOCL_MK.jpg

Willectro

Banned
Why are people (morons) still riding their bikes on sidewalks? It's such a scumbag move. If you are too soft to ride on the road, leave the damn bike at home.

zorbsie

Why are people (morons) still riding their bikes on sidewalks? It's such a scumbag move. If you are too soft to ride on the road, leave the damn bike at home.

That is the worst. Saw some dude on an ebike zipping along the sidewalk. Wanted to clothesline him.

Oppo

No the worst is when it's some lady with a basket-bike...

Like.. "oh I'm not going fast, I'm just doing my shopping"....

gtfo

Willectro

Banned
That is the worst. Saw some dude on an ebike zipping along the sidewalk. Wanted to clothesline him.

Down the street from my apartment, all these degenerates fuck around with ebikes all day. The stupid ebike theft alarms are constantly going off. These dudes seem to collect bottles and cans in bags, strap the bags all over the ebikes, then I'm assuming they depart on a pilgrimage to the Beer Store. Last week I was walking home just after dark and one of em was riding on the sidewalk with an open tallboy (Old Milwaukee Ice, of course, losers beer of choice).

Kraftwerk

Just incase you guys are also talking about cyclists, it's not that simple being in Toronto;

As a cyclist for the past 6 years, and also being in the industry, I deal with other cyclists all the time.

There are so many factors. Just the other day on queen street. Giant pothole in the side, and lots of cars on the road. What the fuck are you supposed to do? jump over the pothole? Sometimes you pretty much have to take the sidwalk.

There have also been countless times when I am riding on on a road with fast moving cars, and I have actually felt the car brush against my backpack. Sometimes they just don't give a fuck and practically hug you. It's such a scary feeling, Even as someone who has done this for years, my gut just sinks when that happens and I hop on the sidewalk for a minute or two. You actually feel as if you were about to die or get hurt badly. Now you can imagine how someone would feel if that happens, and them being a fairly new cyclist.

Not trying to make cyclists sound like angels and everyone else evil, but there are some good reasons why some folk ride on the sidewalk.

I also agree that some people are just jerks about it, and ride on sidwalks all the damn time, which pisses me off to; specially when they come up behind you and ring their bells so you move....I never move, because fuck you.

Willectro

Banned
I used to mountain bike for years prior to moving to Toronto and was pretty confident on a bike. I determined that it isn't safe for me to bike to work, given the route I have to take, so I walk or TTC. I would love if there were safe, separated bike lanes but the likelihood of this being implemented in any meaningful way across the city is slim.

I agree Kraft, not all cyclists do this and there are maybe some instances where it is unavoidable, but there just seems to be an absolutely massive correlation between people who are ignorant assholes and people who ride bikes on sidewalks. I often notice (not so much in the downtown core) that if cyclists were to ride on a street one block parallel to a main road, they wouldn't have so many issues - again I know this isn't always possible.

And yea, if you have to ring your bike's bell on a sidewalk, you should probably be rethinking a lot of things in your life.

Oppo

Down the street from my apartment, all these degenerates fuck around with ebikes all day. The stupid ebike theft alarms are constantly going off. These dudes seem to collect bottles and cans in bags, strap the bags all over the ebikes, then I'm assuming they depart on a pilgrimage to the Beer Store. Last week I was walking home just after dark and one of em was riding on the sidewalk with an open tallboy (Old Milwaukee Ice, of course, losers beer of choice).

Sadly many of those eScooter riders seem to be people with DUIs.

What they don't realize is, even though you don't need a license/insurance for an eScooter, if you get caught under the influence on one, it STILL counts as an additional charge. They even specifically call this out in the revised highway traffic act.

Re potholes and stuff: yeah I just dismount and walk. Part of the charm of a bike, actually.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Not trying to make cyclists sound like angels and everyone else evil, but there are some good reasons why some folk ride on the sidewalk.

I also agree that some people are just jerks about it, and ride on sidwalks all the damn time, which pisses me off to; specially when they come up behind you and ring their bells so you move....I never move, because fuck you.

The sense of entitlement some have is what really pisses me off. I've had too many instances of assholes on the sidewalk biking and demanding I get out of the way to give them any sympathy. Don't like potholes? Feel it's too dangerous? Get the off and walk it; if you're going to bike on the side walk at least have some courtesy; pedestrians have the right of way there not cyclists. Had one dude barreling down Queen at night and yelled at my wife and I to get the fuck out of the way. Had another kept ringing his bell to get me to notice and move out of the way on Dundas when there was a dedicated bike lane right next to him on the road.

Quadratic

Never been to either of these, wanna go there today with a friend, what do you guys recommend?

P&L Burger or Burger Priest?

I like Burger's Priest best out of the two. By no means is the P&L burger terrible if you want something non traditional like the Italian. Just a personal preference.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I like Burger's Priest best out of the two. By no means is the P&L burger terrible if you want something non traditional like the Italian. Just a personal preference.
Hmmm...gotta try P & L some day. Kraft, if you check the vice YouTube channel the chef of P&L has a video where he makes the burger. You might be able to decide after seeing it...
Burger's Priest

also watch Gojira

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
<everyone says Burger Priest>

Ehhh they're both good. P&L burger won the competition for best burger, but even the chef said Burger's Priest was awesome.

Plus, Krafty rides bikes and Harleys so opinion automatically invalidated.

Had he gone to Hero Burger or one of the other crappy joints, I'd be back on team kave.

Dyno

You may have seen Jackson Burger on Yonge St. just south of Gerrard. I have tried it on your behalf. Utterly average. Five Guys just across the street and to the south has more flavour and panache.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
You may have seen Jackson Burger on Yonge St. just south of Gerrard. I have tried it on your behalf. Utterly average. Five Guys just across the street and to the south has more flavour and panache.
Your sacrifice shall be remembered :'(
So, you have to answer Biblical trivia to access Burger's Priest's secret menu now, lol
wtf there's already enough of a line up...Holy Chuck 4 lyfe!

soultron

Banned
So, you have to answer Biblical trivia to access Burger's Priest's secret menu now, lol

And they're closed on Sundays. Another reason Burger's Priest is on my shitlist.

If your gimmick(s) gets in the way of me enjoying your food, you can get the fuck outta here.

zroid

Banned
I probably should have clarified, it was to access the secret menu on their website. :p

It's actually not a big deal at all

Man Papa John's sucks ass. I've tried it in 3 countries now. USA, Canada, Chile. All terrible. I didn't even want it and warned it was shit but got outvoted as it's newly opened down here and in-laws wanted to try it. Garbage. Overpriced garbage.

$26 for large 3 topping, 10 garlic sticks, 2 dipping sauces, 3 litre bottle (3 is common here and not 2) of coca cola. A local joint (not a usa franchise) for the above would have been about $15.

Took 90 minutes to deliver but didn't tip because it is not common down here to do so. Not like he fucking deserved one anyways.

Pizza Pizza > Papa John's.

I got an awesome $4 haircut at a sweet barber, though. Also, no tip. I'm loving not having to tip for everything down here. No different than any haircut I've paid $20 for in Toronto.

Kraftwerk

Man Papa John's sucks ass. I've tried it in 3 countries now. USA, Canada, Chile. All terrible. I didn't even want it and warned it was shit but got outvoted as it's newly opened down here and in-laws wanted to try it. Garbage. Overpriced garbage.

$26 for large 3 topping, 10 garlic sticks, 2 dipping sauces, 3 litre bottle (3 is common here and not 2) of coca cola. A local joint (not a usa franchise) for the above would have been about $15.

Took 90 minutes to deliver but didn't tip because it is not common down here to do so. Not like he fucking deserved one anyways.

Pizza Pizza > Papa John's.

I got an awesome $4 haircut at a sweet barber, though. Also, no tip. I'm loving not having to tip for everything down here. No different than any haircut I've paid $20 for in Toronto.

Jesus Christ

Kraftwerk

Going to Wonderland this week with friends. Made me think about a possible Wonderland meetup.

I wonder how realistic it would be. We could meet early around 1pm. Grab a few beers and food in one of the bars nearby, then go ride the leviathan shitfaced.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Going to Wonderland this week with friends. Made me think about a possible Wonderland meetup.

I wonder how realistic it would be. We could meet early around 1pm. Grab a few beers and food in one of the bars nearby, then go ride the leviathan pukefaced.
FTFY
long line ups.
Far away.
Terrible food.
Last few times I went it rained the whole damn time too.

zroid

Banned
I used to get season passes for Wonderland, but I haven't been there in probably 8 years now. I've been thinking about checking it out this summer, there must be a lot of new attractions.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
It depends on when you go. The best time to go is during the week in May and June. Nice weather and the lines are short. Or at least it was that way back when I worked there for a few summers. I don't think that would have changed.

Top Bottom