• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

The food was free :). The swag was not free :( I tried the demo by going in and shooting everyone; it was fairly short. I saw other people sneak around and interact with a bunch of stuff though. A couple people won Parrot drones! I wasn't that lucky :(

I streetpassed AlphaTwo (from SeaShore) in Animal Crossing :D. He says 'Muhahahaha'.

soultron

Banned
Yeah, ended up leaving pretty early with my work buddies.

Also, I don't know how to play video games and blew myself up right away in that van, barely a minute into starting. Hilarious.

jokkir

I got bored and eneded up taking a car and trying to run over all the guards. When I eventually took a truck though (the big truck), the guards didn't shoot at me and just watch me drive over people? It was odd. Lady from CTV filmed it too.

Glad I went to the event. I now know how to beat one level of the game in about 50 different ways. Loved seeing the mission being beat without even stepping foot in the restricted area.

And I thought my luck ran out when I found $5 parking right next to the event, but I also ended up winning one of the Parrot AR Drones at the end so I'm really happy.

Techcore

Neo Member
Went but left early to watch X-Men. It was my first time at that venue, I was interested in checking out the other floors but the dude guys wouldn't let me.

The food was free :). The swag was not free :( I tried the demo by going in and shooting everyone; it was fairly short. I saw other people sneak around and interact with a bunch of stuff though. A couple people won Parrot drones! I wasn't that lucky :(

I streetpassed AlphaTwo (from SeaShore) in Animal Crossing :D. He says 'Muhahahaha'.
Sorry, Mii Plaza is full.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I got bored and eneded up taking a car and trying to run over all the guards. When I eventually took a truck though (the big truck), the guards didn't shoot at me and just watch me drive over people? It was odd. Lady from CTV filmed it too.
Violent video games cause violence in generic Asian guys. News at 11.

jokkir

You couldn't even ram the gates down if you go full speed towards it. You still needed to hack it to get in. Also, if you ram your vehicle to the gate when it's unopened, the guards inside don't react at all. It's was a bit bizarre looking.

That's me and my friend in that first pic. I might be getting too old, but it was so loud at that venue. We had to leave after a bit just to have a conversation.

Which one were you? I ended up near the front after an hour in and just was getting food lol.

EDIT. Larger, uncompressed shots of the pictures I posted before:
http://abload.de/img/2014-05-222010.31.172ycu2x.jpg
http://abload.de/img/2014-05-222010.40.4726cudj.jpg
http://abload.de/img/2014-05-222010.43.432ruuoz.jpg
http://abload.de/img/2014-05-222009.39.46261u1s.jpg

zorbsie

Which one were you? I ended up near the front after an hour in and just was getting food lol.

The larger versions make it way easier to tell it's us. Wish I was that cool dude dancing behind me. I've got no rhythm. :(
watchdoge_event3wuvm.jpg
I saw your post about going to the front for food. But she's a vegetarian and didn't want anything. We ended up going to king lobster for a bite and chat about games. Actually was a good night. :)

Sober

That's me and my friend in that first pic. I might be getting too old, but it was so loud at that venue. We had to leave after a bit just to have a conversation.
Yeah, unfortunately nightclubs gonna nightclub. If it's not your flavour it sucks. But regardless it was just loud for the sake of it mostly. Hey, at least those chicks from Sony were dancing along, right?

The Black Flag one was at Amsterdam Brewery and that was already plenty loud when we were there too.

Dyno

Anyone every have a South Side Burger? This is the burger chain started by New York Fries and it looks like they sell gourmet burgers around 10 bucks a piece. Any good? The NYF connect makes me skeptical though I don't know why.

I probably eat too many hamburgers.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Anyone every have a South Side Burger? This is the burger chain started by New York Fries and it looks like they sell gourmet burgers around 10 bucks a piece. Any good? The NYF connect makes me skeptical though I don't know why.

Regular fast food type burgers man. Don't go out of your way to try one.

Also fuck Kuro for no real reason.

Quick

Banned
The larger versions make it way easier to tell it's us. Wish I was that cool dude dancing behind me. I've got no rhythm. :(

I saw your post about going to the front for food. But she's a vegetarian and didn't want anything. We ended up going to king lobster for a bite and chat about games. Actually was a good night. :)

Wait a second...

giphy.gif

You guys don't look like generic Asians.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

They aren't all that.

soultron

Banned
Tried Kenzo last night before going to the Watch Dogs party.

It was kind of what I'd imagine homemade ramen in Japan is served like. The eggs not being softboiled like other places (where dunking it in the broth causes the yolk to blend nicely) was my only real pet peeve. Other than that, it was a nice change of pace. Lots of veggies and other goodies in their ramen that I don't see the other places providing.

Not my favourite, but glad I tried either way. It was a nice change of pace.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Any good restaurants/food around the Toronto Congress Centre (Anime North)?

Looking to take a friend out, I own a car so 20 minutes away or whatever is no worry.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Tried Kenzo last night before going to the Watch Dogs party.

It was kind of what I'd imagine homemade ramen in Japan is served like. The eggs not being softboiled like other places (where dunking it in the broth causes the yolk to blend nicely) was my only real pet peeve. Other than that, it was a nice change of pace. Lots of veggies and other goodies in their ramen that I don't see the other places providing.

Not my favourite, but glad I tried either way. It was a nice change of pace.
Depending on the location, last one I went to was on Yonge, it was spicy as fuck.

I wish I could join you in this Kinton suicide

soultron

Banned
Depending on the location, last one I went to was on Yonge, it was spicy as fuck.

I wish I could join you in this Kinton suicide

I went to the Queen St. W. location and had the King of Kings Ramen (extra pork), level 2 spice. It was surprisingly mild. My friend had the Champon Ramen (seafood) and it had these fucking blistering hot firecracker peppers in it ... it wasn't even listed on the spicy section. I feel like those peppers were meant for my bowl but the chef may have made a mistake. :)

Boogie

Looking to take a friend out, I own a car so 20 minutes away or whatever is no worry.

I used to eat lunch at Chopstick Cuisine all the time, a hakka place at Derry and Airport.

explodet

I always found Kenzo very... safe. If you just want a basic bowl that won't cost you $12 it ain't bad.

I like it better than Ajisan, at any rate.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Holy shit Stockyards fried chicken is so good!

Also that new Aussie meat pie place downtown is really good too

Blackhead

Redarse
Was walking around downtown today and got called a fag for wearing shorts over leggings.

kwkmJas.jpg

Stay classy Toronto.

If you don't mind me asking, who called you those names — what was him/her wearing? The brand is not exactly to my taste but I thought Pyrex/Hood By Air was a hiphop mainstream now due to all the celebs wearing that. Or do some people still think Kayne is a 'fag' (due to that South Park episode) even after putting a baby in Kim K... ?

Holy shit Stockyards fried chicken is so good!

Also that new Aussie meat pie place downtown is really good too

The chicken and waffles!!! *salivating*

53667f9e158953ed2ef96e66_helena_chicken_ob.gif

It's always busy. There's like almost no seating inside so I think most people just get take out.

Yea, I just saw pics from inside

Maybe get takeout and then walk to a park to eat *shrug*

Might try to go with my gf tomorrow and get there before they open for dinner

Quadratic

Anyone familiar with Persian cuisine? I decided to take a chance with a kebab restaurant near my parent's place today. I got take out and when I get home there's a bag filled with raw onions, radishes, parsley and a lemon wedge. I assume the lemon is for the kebab. What are the herbs and giant pieces of onion for? Do I make a wrap with the pita w/ onion and parsley? Eat the onion bite by bite with the meat and rice? I'm going eat it whichever way but I wanted some insight on the "proper" eating strategy.

And to chime in on the Stockyards. Try the animal style burger. They call it "beast style" It's hella expensive for what is essentially an In N Out burger. It is tasty though. And the chicken and waffles for brunch is amazing.

Might as well ask....

If I get take out at Stockyards, any suggestions on where to go to eat it? I can't imagine there are many picnic tables in that area unless I walk to Christie Pits?

Quadratic

Might as well ask....

If I get take out at Stockyards, any suggestions on where to go to eat it? I can't imagine there are many picnic tables in that area unless I walk to Christie Pits?

Wychwood barns is nearby. Might even be a farmer's market this weekend. I've never had much of an issue getting seating. It's usually the stools near the front window. Weather plays a huge factor and since it's finally nice out I bet it's going to be busier now.

Wychwood barns is nearby. Might even be a farmer's market this weekend. I've never had much of an issue getting seating. It's usually the stools near the front window. Weather plays a huge factor and since it's finally nice out I bet it's going to be busier now.

Thanks!

I had been planning to go try Barque's on Roncy but waited a bit too long with the reservations

Fugu

I imagine it's too late for this, but the Japanese restaurant in one of the hotels across the street called Ginko is great. I've had a lot of sushi in Toronto and I'd rate it near the top; the only reason it doesn't get any more attention is its location, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't know what the situation there is like once AN is in full swing, but I went there on the Friday last year and my girlfriend and I got in just fine. Larger tables might be trouble.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yup that's the one! I just googled "ramen" and google picked Kenzo for me.

No. I had to wash it down with an Asahi. :(
Hopefully, an Asahi black you I cultured bum...

I need to try stockyards...like everyone said, there really isn't much else there.

Just got out of X-Men: DoFP. Wow, talk about epic. One huge ass story trying to tie everything together.

Now excuse me while I try not to hurl from the 3D...fucking 3D...

Blackhead

Redarse
Might as well ask....

There's a Starbucks at the corner of the street from Stockyards. Grab a drink and there's usually free seating.

Top Bottom