• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

How is the Front/Spadina area anyways? I'm moving from Vancouver and that's the area I've been looking at renting in. Keeping in mind I will not be getting a car in Toronto.

Everything in the city looks better at night.

That is true of every city.

How is the Front/Spadina area anyways? I'm moving from Vancouver and that's the area I've been looking at renting in. Keeping in mind I will not be getting a car in Toronto.

Well, it's almost all condos and new retail (chains, laundromats and banks). I find it to be pretty stale to be honest. It actually reminds me a lot of the Vancouver areas that are all green glass condo developments in a way. There is also no subway that goes there, just streetcars.

Well, it's almost all condos and new retail (chains, laundromats and banks). I find it to be pretty stale to be honest. It actually reminds me a lot of the Vancouver areas that are all green glass condo developments in a way. There is also no subway that goes there, just streetcars.

Yeah it kinda reminds me of the False Creek/Olympic Village area in Vancouver actually. Just seems like most of downtown Toronto is charging about 900-1100/month for rent and if I'm paying that, I might as well live in a newer condo with more amenities.

That is true of every city.

Infamous and Watch Dogs look amazing at night :p

Toronto needs to be in a video game

zroid

Banned
Toronto needs to be in a video game

KJKbF9Q.png

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
lol, speaking of the aquarium, I'm finally going tomorrow! hope the line's not too long

When I went it was a Saturday but I went sort of early (10:30) and there wasn't any line really. It get's busy around lunch.

What does $900-$1100 get you in downtown Toronto?

I found a brand new condo built in February of this year here in downtown Santiago for $650 all in. Fully furnished, internet (20mbs), cable, water, electricity, condo fees (I guess this covers 24/7 guard in the lobby and general maintenance of the building) and I'm trying to gauge what that'd all cost in Toronto.

My girlfriend and I are thinking of staying down here longer but doing the math and weighing the pros/cons.

I don't live in Toronto yet so I couldn't say for sure but from what I've seen, with a room mate that'll get you about 800-900 sq ft. (meaning $900-1100 per person). Otherwise it'll be a 400-500 sq ft. 0/1 bedroom.

Kraftwerk

Anyone familiar with labor laws and whatnot?

Some of you may know, but I used to work in the bike industry, but it has been a while. Doing freelance work for government now.

Anyway,

A friends bike shop was in an emergency and needed help for 3 days. He isn't the owner, but just works there. He told the owner about me, and the owner asked me if I could work there for 3 days until they sort out there staffing issue. Seeing as I am freelance and had free-time, I said sure.

Fast-forward to now, and the owner still hasn't paid me. I gave him two weeks as courtesy. I have been trying to contact him but he is ignoring my texts and calls.

The money is insignificant, as I get paid multiple times more doing freelance work, but I don't like to be walked over. It's the principle and being lied to.

What are my options here? Contacting the better Business Bureau?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

Some of you may know, but I used to work in the bike industry, but it has been a while. Doing freelance work for government now.

Anyway,

A friends bike shop was in an emergency and needed help for 3 days. He isn't the owner, but just works there. He told the owner about me, and the owner asked me if I could work there for 3 days until they sort out there staffing issue. Seeing as I am freelance and had free-time, I said sure.

Fast-forward to now, and the owner still hasn't paid me. I gave him two weeks as courtesy. I have been trying to contact him but he is ignoring my texts and calls.

The money is insignificant, as I get paid multiple times more doing freelance work, but I don't like to be walked over. It's the principle and being lied to.

Ministry of Labour.
416-326-7160

http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/feedback/index.php

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
*Toronto needs an open world AAA blockbuster video game where you can climb to the top of the CN Tower and swan dive into the aquarium
but Scott Pil....oh... :(

Soultron get going on that proposal on an open world TO game. Make it so that all the bad burger joints take away points.

Anyway,

I second labour. Don't bother with the joke of a BBB.

Quick

Banned
Yeah it kinda reminds me of the False Creek/Olympic Village area in Vancouver actually. Just seems like most of downtown Toronto is charging about 900-1100/month for rent and if I'm paying that, I might as well live in a newer condo with more amenities.

Can I live with you? I'm an awesome roommate. Can't pay rent, though. :lol

What does $900-$1100 get you in downtown Toronto?

I found a brand new condo built in February of this year here in downtown Santiago for $650 all in. Fully furnished, internet (20mbs), cable, water, electricity, condo fees (I guess this covers 24/7 guard in the lobby and general maintenance of the building) and I'm trying to gauge what that'd all cost in Toronto.

My girlfriend and I are thinking of staying down here longer but doing the math and weighing the pros/cons.

Stop teasing us with your easy living.

Blackhead

Redarse
I found out about the Moncton shooter a few hours ago on GAF and the wanton waste of life is depressing...

What system do you use for getting breaking News, Traffic/TTC route changes, Weather alerts and so on: New GAF threads? Updates to Toronto-Age? Twitter/Facebook? RSS/Refreshing cbc.ca? Watercooler/Lunch break chatter? Listening to radio while driving after work? TV with news on when you get back home?

I'm sometimes out of the loop; I didn't hear of the last Eaton center shooting until a friend from out-of-town called to ask if I was okay :|

Spl1nter

Twitter for breaking news and updates. The score app for any sports news and teams in interested in. Globeandmail for broader news and stories.

Quick

Banned
I found out about the Moncton shooter a few hours ago on GAF and the wanton waste of life is depressing...

What system do you use for getting breaking News, Traffic/TTC route changes, Weather alerts and so on: New GAF threads? Updates to Toronto-Age? Twitter/Facebook? RSS/Refreshing cbc.ca? Watercooler/Lunch break chatter? Listening to radio while driving after work? TV with news on when you get back home?

I'm sometimes out of the loop; I didn't hear of the last Eaton center shooting until a friend from out-of-town called to ask if I was okay :|

CP24 twitter account.

Dyno

lol, speaking of the aquarium, I'm finally going tomorrow! hope the line's not too long

Have you bought your tickets in advance on-line?

That's how you do it. There was an insane line-up when I went but we had advance tickets and waited only five minutes.

DO IT!

zroid

Banned
Have you bought your tickets in advance on-line?

That's how you do it. There was an insane line-up when I went but we had advance tickets and waited only five minutes.

DO IT!

I unfortunately can't because I'm using one of those BOGO coupons from Chapters... bleh!

Tuck

Just want to say, I love the TTCs subway cars. Being able to walk between cars is awesome.

There's something called the lumintato festival happening right outside my building... They're practising and setting up at the moment.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
New subway cars weird me out. It throws me to be able to see all the way down the train.
Pfft! They are a step in try right direction and are similar to the trains try got in Seoul which is a vastly superior system.

There's a lot more space and you can pack in more people.

And they actually have a better map system on the train so you know where you're going too.

If you don't like the new trains you're...I dunno worse than a Kraftwerk!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
He doesn't post regularly but lurks this thread from time to time. Congrats to Dougwelder for finishing dental school! Now he can prescribe us all drugs!!!

Edit: went to Guu and got the tasting menu and their premium sake. That's 100 I won't see back..,

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Jake lets you take the TTC?

:mad:

Pfft! They are a step in try right direction and are similar to the trains try got in Seoul which is a vastly superior system.

There's a lot more space and you can pack in more people.

And they actually have a better map system on the train so you know where you're going too.

If you don't like the new trains you're...I dunno worse than a Kraftwerk!

I didn't say I didn't like them. It just weirds me out a bit. I'm not used to it.

Also, if the train is really packed there are no poles for me to hold on to. :( I almost have to stand on my tip toes to hold on to that top bar or handle. No consideration for short people.

The map system I agree with.

Sober

I didn't say I didn't like them. It just weirds me out a bit. I'm not used to it.

Also, if the train is really packed there are no poles for me to hold on to. :( I almost have to stand on my tip toes to hold on to that top bar or handle. No consideration for short people.

I want to make a joke about how you gravitate towards poles but I'm too lazy to finish it.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Hmmm I never noticed that when I was in Korea. I guess the trains may be smaller there. This still isn't as bad as the streetcars that have you facing people. YOU MEAN I GOTTA SIT AND FACE THAT KAVE_MAN?!?!?!
I want to make a joke about how you gravitate towards poles but I'm too lazy to finish it.
This is why TO meet ups are always sausagefest ya buuuuuuuum!

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmm I never noticed that when I was in Korea. I guess the trains may be smaller there. This still isn't as bad as the streetcars that have you facing people. YOU MEAN I GOTTA SIT AND FACE THAT KAVE_MAN?!?!?!

This is why TO meet ups are always sausagefest ya buuuuuuuum!

Unless you're short, you probably wouldn't notice. :p

Beautiful day today. After work, gonna drop by the Portugal fest on Dundas later tonight and then hit up some bar for some glorious beer. God I love Saturdays.

Stet

Banned
He doesn't post regularly but lurks this thread from time to time. Congrats to Dougwelder for finishing dental school! Now he can prescribe us all drugs!!!

Edit: went to Guu and got the tasting menu and their premium sake. That's 100 I won't see back..,

Someone was unsatisfied with Guu?!

Top Bottom