• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Hieberrr

I'm visiting Montreal for the first time in the next couple of weeks. Does anyone have any suggestions for food and general places to visit?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I'm visiting Montreal for the first time in the next couple of weeks. Does anyone have any suggestions for food and general places to visit?
Don't go to Schwartz's. Go to the place across the street from it is what I've been told by montrealers.

Also try La Belle Province

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Knowing people in high places has its perks. Free tickets to the game yesterday. #NotSoStealthBrag

That price though...

I wonder what game 3 at the ACC would cost for these seats. $1000+?

YWdHYU5.jpg

Wish I could have gone. Brother met and got pics with Jimmy Fallon, Don Cherry, Ron MacLean, Bryan Cranston, some dude from Modern Family. Was a real celebrity fest apparently.

You can watch that POS Brown lift his second Cup in person.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I think Nintendo did well today. It made me want a WiiU:

Zelda
Spaltoon (I don't even like shooters but this looks like mad fun)
Kirby & the Rainbow Curse
Xenoblade Chronicles X

I still need a PS4:

Uncharted 4
FFXV
Bloodborne
The Order

Quick

Banned
Thank you.

You don't need much experience or any money to do this.,

My friend did a similar thing. I had known him two years, and he was a bicycle mechanic. Simple and basic stuff.

He had had enough of this city too, and wanted to relocate. He applied for a ton of jobs in Alberta related to oil field and such, and finally got one after two months. He is making great money now working on the field. They assisted him with relocation, he has lodging and food allowance.

He had ZERO experience in the oil industry and field work. But since they need people, and he has the bare minimum experience with fixing things - bicycles in this case - they took him. He was trained for 2 months and then started working full-time.

It is long hours and hard work, and you don't get to come back to see family a lot, but the pay is worthwhile. A lot of people think they are prepared to work in such remote locations, but far too many mentally break down and come back.

Most of those territories are desperate for people to come.

My recommendation would be to sit down and make a list of all your expertise and experiences, no matter what. Tidy it up into a resume and cover letter and start mailing. If it fails, at least you tried.

I have already sent out a ton of resumes, even for position way out of my league. At the end of the day, what difference does it make if they say no?

I have a bunch of loose ends to tie up here in the city before I consider venturing out. I did apply for a job in the west, though. Nothing.

Save some cash for a plane ticket and come down here and teach English or distribute some good ole south american cocaine. I have a contact from Colombia named Sebastien who could hook you up with a job.

Also, check out workaway.info or other similar work for lodging/food websites out there. If you just want to get away for a year or whatever it is a great way to do it.

I did contemplate teaching English, but I don't have the credentials for the better ones (South Korea and Japan), and I fear for my safety for the ones that have lax credentials.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I think Nintendo did well today. It made me want a WiiU:

Zelda
Spaltoon (I don't even like shooters but this looks like mad fun)
Kirby & the Rainbow Curse
Xenoblade Chronicles X

I still need a PS4:

Uncharted 4
FFXV
Bloodborne
The Order
Kirby and Xeno look good. I personally liked the Toad game.
Yeah. I really want a Wii U now due to Zelda.

Speaking of free tickets; shadowkat should get us some from Joshua.
Not sure why people got so excited over a 15s? reveal.

I have a bunch of loose ends to tie up here in the city before I consider venturing out. I did apply for a job in the west, though. Nothing.

I did contemplate teaching English, but I don't have the credentials for the better ones (South Korea and Japan), and I fear for my safety for the ones that have lax credentials.
If you're desperate for a good paying job, the Praries and Alberta is the way to go.

Heh, the only credential you need to teach English in South Korea is a university degree. If you want to succeed, it requires a bit of creativity, openness, and a lot of prep work and planning.

Brehs that wanna save money, amazon has what I think is an E3 flash sale going on. Go check your pre orders, some prices didn't change and you have to cancel and pre order again. I just saved myself over 100$ in games that I want for the next year lol.

Magnus

Got the dreaded news; my contract won't be extended after all. Alas. Irrationally clung to hope that the chain of mat leaves and backfills above me wouldn't come crashing down to take my livelihood away. Suddenly have a fire under my ass to go job-hunting in this great city of ours. Wish me luck friends.

I already long for last night, where my biggest problem was weighing the pros and cons of pre-ordering a truckload of E3 games at Best Buy. Haha

(This will probably finally get me to create that big sell/trade post I've been meaning to do in this thread. I have a lot of stuff - games and otherwise - to try and offload.)

Stet

Banned
I have about 30 Wii, PS3 and 360 games. I have a launch Wii in perfect working order, a 360 with HDD in perfect working order and a red ringed 360.

I want to trade them all in or sell them -- with EB/Gamestop's trade-in deals this month, what could I feasibly get for them? Anyone know how Toronto stores are doing this deal?

Quadratic

Got the dreaded news; my contract won't be extended after all. Alas. Irrationally clung to hope that the chain of mat leaves and backfills above me wouldn't come crashing down to take my livelihood away. Suddenly have a fire under my ass to go job-hunting in this great city of ours. Wish me luck friends.

Good luck! I remember reading your post here when you got this job and got a pretty sweet location around Queen and Bathurst to live. I read that and remembered when I worked in the area. So much stuff so close to that location. Like for instance I went to Kensington twice a week for lunch at Jumbo Empanadas. It's hard to go back once you've tasted what the city has to offer.

Hope you land on your feet soon. Maybe take a couple of days to have a playcation and get some videogame backlog done.

Good luck! I remember reading your post here when you got this job and got a pretty sweet location around Queen and Bathurst to live. I read that and remembered when I worked in the area. So much stuff so close to that location. Like for instance I went to Kensington twice a week for lunch at Jumbo Empanadas. It's hard to go back once you've tasted what the city has to offer.

Hope you land on your feet soon. Maybe take a couple of days to have a playcation and get some videogame backlog done.
My man! I miss that place so much. I'm a regular over there. I think it is one of the most underrated (or unknown?) places in the city.

I don't even own a pair of skinny jeans.

I'm wearing a pair of slim (not to be mistaken with skinny) $19.99 blue jeans from old navy right now. They hug the body just right. No bag, no tight, just right.

zroid

Banned
I voted NDP for the first time. Don't really think the party or leader is particularly good, but since I feel the same way about the others, I figure change is better than no change.

whitehawk

Banned
I've voted NDP every time in the past, but voted Liberal for the first time. Not a huge fan of Wynne, but she's better than Andrea. It was partly a vote to make sure the conservatives don't get in too.

Quick

Banned
I've voted NDP every time in the past, but voted Liberal for the first time. Not a huge fan of Wynne, but she's better than Andrea. It was partly a vote to make sure the conservatives don't get in too.

Same here. I usually voted NDP, but chose Liberal this time.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Going to vote Liberal because best of the fucking worst and I don't want to skip voting because that would just help the worst of the fucking worst.

There's a voting thing right in my building so I don't even have to put on outdoor shoes to vote. Yay for lazy!

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Going to vote Liberal because best of the fucking worst and I don't want to skip voting because that would just help the worst of the fucking worst.

There's a voting thing right in my building so I don't even have to put on outdoor shoes to vote. Yay for lazy!
I really thought you were going to say you don't even have to put on pants to vote. :lol

Top Bottom