• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Kraftwerk

Hot and humid summer. So you're saying it's still coming?

The almanac did say it will be hot and humid. The other thing it said was that it will be really wet with lots of rain, which has also been true.

It the damn weather channels that keep shouting "OMG THUNDERSTORM" which has always been wrong.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Touhenboku Ramen

261 Queen St W, Toronto, ON M5V 1Z4
XNsCJP9.jpg
Known for using chicken broth, this restaurant is another in the fast growing area of Japanese cuisine. I got there around 12 and it was deserted, so I had my seat of choice. It was a bit warm inside, so I was sweating a bit, but the waitress came quickly and I decided on the lunch special which was their regular Touhenboku Ramen with extra chasu and a Sapporo for 18 dollars including tip. The broth itself is nice and buttery without overpowering the rest of the food. Unfortunately, that was the best part of the dish. The noodles didn't taste that good and are a step below what you can get at other places in terms of taste. The seaweed seemed stale and instead if the slightly crunchy appeal I was expecting, it was kinda like chewing paper. The chasu is ok, but very fatty and doesn't live up to what you can get at Kinton. The portion was pretty good and I can say I was definitely satisfied with what I got; if you want more, you can also pay an extra 50 cents for more noodles as well. Service is always pretty good at these places, and I had no problem here as well. Just a tip that if you tweet their twitter account before going there, you may get extra toppings for free. I'm not sure I'd go back there though with so many other options close by, but if you're in the area for lunch and definitely want ramen on Queen and University, it is right there.

soultron

Banned
I had Raijin again last week and I got the regular tonkotsu ramen and it was amazing. The broth was incredible. Definitely going back again. Surprised since my first visit last year was really forgettable. I had then only tried the dark charcoal broth ramen and thought it wasn't that special.

Also, Touhenboku has the best regular breaded karage, in my opinion. Kinton has spicy sauce'd karage which is my all-time favourite though.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I had Raijin again last week and I got the regular tonkotsu ramen and it was amazing. The broth was incredible. Definitely going back again. Surprised since my first visit last year was really forgettable. I had then only tried the dark charcoal broth ramen and thought it wasn't that special.

Also, Touhenboku has the best regular breaded karage, in my opinion. Kinton has spicy sauce'd karage which is my all-time favourite though.
I didn't get the karage, but I've had it around the city and Zakkushi is hard to beat. Goddamn that place...and it's close too.

Maybe Raijin next week.

I'm going to Toronto for a week+ at the beginning of august with my family, I could really use some help figuring out what to do there o__o

Bars/pubs/clubs and whathaveyou don't apply, since i'm going with family. Can't be anything that requires too much physical exertion either...

Any ideas guys? I would really appreciate it. Restaurant recommendations are welcome too

zorbsie

Taking my niece and nephew to the aquarium on Wednesday. I know some of you folks have gone. How much time can you spend there? They are 15 and 13. I'm thinking 2 hours. Am I crazy?

What area of the city will you be in and will you have a car to get around?

i will be all over really. Not like scarbarough or 'sauga...or richmond hill....

but i will be in etobicoke for sure and other areas. And yes definitely will have a car, although prefer not to drive around downtown o___o

but yeah since we have the car it won't be too much of a problem to get to places you guys might recommend :)

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
not sure really.

are there any really good buffets in toronto?

Well, not really. Maybe if you include all you can eat sushi, or mongolian grill.

Off the top of my head, other highlights are Guu, Sansotei Ramen, Jabistro, Caplansky's, Lee's, 7 Numbers, Copper Chimney, Mother's Dumplings.

Well, not really. Maybe if you include all you can eat sushi, or mongolian grill.

Off the top of my head, other highlights are Guu, Sansotei Ramen, Jabistro, Caplansky's, Lee's, 7 Numbers, Copper Chimney, Mother's Dumplings.

oh man, that dumpling place looks awesome :)

Sober

Yes the weather has been decent the last couple of days. A few 27s feeling like 32 here and there but today was great.

Except I spent it all indoors.

Magnus

I'm having a lot of trouble convincing friends/friends of friends to room. I'm renting my folks' second place on Queen St West, a 2br condo townhouse, super high 'walk score' (every convenience and necessity is nearby), but at $2k/mo., I need a roommate.

Unfortunately, most people I'd be interested in rooming with are my gen (late '20s) and either flying solo or only living with their SO. I think I missed my chance to nab a roommate, unless I make younger friends, haha.

Magnus

Is TekSavvy the way to go in downtown Toronto, folks?

I just can't handle the slow speeds of my current provider, and will likely be cutting both the TV and Net packages I have with them.

It looks to me like with TekSavvy, you need to purchase a modem from them (around $100) and then pay an activation fee (around $45 with the modem). That's it for upfront costs, yeah?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Is TekSavvy the way to go in downtown Toronto, folks?

I just can't handle the slow speeds of my current provider, and will likely be cutting both the TV and Net packages I have with them.

It looks to me like with TekSavvy, you need to purchase a modem from them (around $100) and then pay an activation fee (around $45 with the modem). That's it for upfront costs, yeah?

Yes. I think, but I'm not certain, that if you buy the modem from them, you get a slight discount.

krae_man

There's a $20 discount on the activation fee if you buy the modem from them. Total you're still looking at around $150.

Other sad thing is plans are 150gb standard now instead of the old 300gb. 30mbps plan is $45 for 150gb and $55 for 300gb.

Damn Rogers.

Samyy

There's a $20 discount on the activation fee if you buy the modem from them. Total you're still looking at around $150.

Other sad thing is plans are 150gb standard now instead of the old 300gb. 30mbps plan is $45 for 150gb and $55 for 300gb.

Damn Rogers.

DAMN ROGERS IS RIGHT
WANT TO GET NEW PHONE BUT 80 DOLLARS A MONTH ARE YOU KIDDING ME
I CANT UPGRADE SINCE MY OLD PLAN IS DEAD DAMN YOU ROGERS

:(((((((((((

Im moving to Europe fuck this shit.

Top Bottom