• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Is TekSavvy the way to go in downtown Toronto, folks?

I just can't handle the slow speeds of my current provider, and will likely be cutting both the TV and Net packages I have with them.

It looks to me like with TekSavvy, you need to purchase a modem from them (around $100) and then pay an activation fee (around $45 with the modem). That's it for upfront costs, yeah?

Not sure about the pricing compared to TekSavvy, but I have Distributel and its uncapped, instead of 300gb. I pay 60 bucks a month, everything included, for 25/1 and get 32/1.5. I reccomend checking them out, I refused to get bell or rogers, and with Netflix, my brother and I didn't know if we'd go over a cap.

Edit : wooooah, what the hell? Just checked the distributel site and the prices have gone up too! Damn, gonna check my speed when I get home...

N° 2048

TekSavvy also has Zap The Cap option.

They drop your speed down from 8pm to 12am and for that small sacrifice they remove the 300GB cap on those plans.
My speed goes down from 25mbs(3MBs) to 9mbs(1MBs) which is still fast.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
TekSavvy also has Zap The Cap option.

They drop your speed down from 8pm to 12am and for that small sacrifice they remove the 300GB cap on those plans.
My speed goes down from 25mbs(3MBs) to 9mbs(1MBs) which is still fast.
I was thinking of turning this on, but I've only gone over the cap once, and that was when they weren't charging extra.

Destiny beta today though...

Quadratic

I was thinking of turning this on, but I've only gone over the cap once, and that was when they weren't charging extra.

Destiny beta today though...

I'm going to miss my granfathered Teksavvy unlimited plan when I move. I forgot to leave my PS4 on standby today to get the Destiny Beta :(

Oppo

TS is great until something goes wrong.

Something went very, very wrong with my connection and i had to drop 'em. sucks too because it was probably Rogers fault. but at the end of the day I work at home, so i need that connection to be solid, and they just couldn't seem to keep things alive in east york.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
TS is great until something goes wrong.

Something went very, very wrong with my connection and i had to drop 'em. sucks too because it was probably Rogers fault. but at the end of the day I work at home, so i need that connection to be solid, and they just couldn't seem to keep things alive in east york.
Hi neighbour!

I'd say if people have problems, email their VP, Andre. I was pissed and looking at forums and got his emails since he was asking for feedback. I told him why I left and he said if I were to come back to let him know. When I came back they waived the connection fee. Additionally, I know when EM had trouble, he also got in touch with him and EM's issue got sorted out.

soultron

Banned
Dang it, I'm about to spring for TS and get a wired connection. We have wifi only at my apartment (Rogers) and it's the absolute worst. I cannot reliably play MP games like CSGO where connection speed really matters. Sometimes I can't play because the lag is debilitating.

Blackhead

Redarse
I want to switch again, what's the best for TV between Rogers, Bell or Telus? I'm down for live soccer/sports and hbo. Any good packages/deals in time for the fall (soccer is on a break right now and the hbo summer shows suck)? Otherwise for those who have cut the cable, what's your setup and bills: netflix/appletv/vudu/roku/crunchyroll/PSN etc?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I want to switch again, what's the best for TV between Rogers, Bell or Telus? I'm down for live soccer/sports and hbo. Any good packages/deals in time for the fall (soccer is on a break right now and the hbo summer shows suck)? Otherwise for those who have cut the cable, what's your setup and bills: netflix/appletv/vudu/roku/crunchyroll/PSN etc?
No cable. But pretty much what you listed there.

Netflix. Apple TV. Crunchy roll. Hulu. Hockeystreams.com.

Between all that and occasionally going out to the movies, I'm quite content.

10 for netflix
100/year for Hockeystreams
Hulu is free and you can get around the region block pathetically easily
Teksavvy is running me around 65 I believe.

yyzjohn

Banned
No cable. But pretty much what you listed there.

Netflix. Apple TV. Crunchy roll. Hulu. Hockeystreams.com.

Between all that and occasionally going out to the movies, I'm quite content.

10 for netflix
100/year for Hockeystreams
Hulu is free and you can get around the region block pathetically easily
Teksavvy is running me around 65 I believe.

I thought Hulu was a paid service?

Sweet Ivy

Entering the conversation since you're just talking about it.

What would be the best provider for online gaming (with two PS4 or PCs playing at the same time)?
They have the fiber from Telus where I'm going, but it's only 5mb upload speed...
Also no cap, I can't stand cap, makes me feel too backward and I'd likely go over it since I'm connected 18/24.

I don't care for any TV services, just the internet, home phone and solid online gaming (FPS).

I'm moving to Toronto from Vancouver in about 2 weeks.

I am Asian, I love EDM, and I need a wingman to hit on girls at clubs. Who wants to be my friend?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

I am Asian, I love EDM, and I need a wingman to hit on girls at clubs. Who's wants to be my friend?

At least 80% of Toronto-GAF falls under the generic Asian background so you shouldn't have a problem finding one.

Oppo

Hi neighbour!

I'd say if people have problems, email their VP, Andre. I was pissed and looking at forums and got his emails since he was asking for feedback. I told him why I left and he said if I were to come back to let him know. When I came back they waived the connection fee. Additionally, I know when EM had trouble, he also got in touch with him and EM's issue got sorted out.

Hey! I thought I saw that you were over here... I'd know better if you showed up to the meetings! ;)

I would like to go back to TS at some point. I hate giving money to Rogers. But I hate slow uploads / outages even more.

yyzjohn

Banned
They have both.

Thanks man, just tried Hulu with Unlocator through my router to fake a U.S. IP, works great. Only thing is it's only desktop right now, I read online that they'll be allowing mobile streaming free this summer, so hopefully that's out soon. Will be great to chromecast Hulu direct from my phone. I can do it right now from my PC to the chromecast.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure how much I'll even play it, but who knows.
I can't remember, do I have you on PSN? I'm firehawk1234.
Yes.

I am Asian, I love EDM, and I need a wingman to hit on girls at clubs. Who wants to be my friend?
Kraftwerk would make a good wingman. And you should come join us at the next meet up whenever the hell that happens.

Sigh...I still need to post pics...
At least 80% of Toronto-GAF falls under the generic Asian background so you shouldn't have a problem finding one.
Quiet, 1st class cat!
Hey! I thought I saw that you were over here... I'd know better if you showed up to the meetings! ;)

I would like to go back to TS at some point. I hate giving money to Rogers. But I hate slow uploads / outages even more.
I was at the last two meet ups! D:

If you do go TS, you'd still be giving money, albeit less, to Rogers. Unless you're with Bell now?

Leslieville is big. I'm about 4 blocks away from Gerrard Square. And I apparently live near Epic Tales of Penis!

Quadratic

Kuro bailed on us before the Polar beers Nerfgun. Blood sugar spike probably :)

I have 2 extra codes for Destiny on PS4 if anyone here wants them. We should plan a play session on the weekend.

Going to a BBQ on Saturday and a Jays game tonight. I should be home all day Sunday.

PSN: Bentobox

Quadratic

I was tempted to buy one. I decided to go with Arcteryx instead so I wouldn't be yet another generic Asian with a CG jacket. Moose Knuckles are becoming the overwhelming fashion trend for winter jackets now.

I'll stop talking about winter because I sense the #teamwarm police incoming.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

I have 2 extra codes for Destiny on PS4 if anyone here wants them. We should plan a play session on the weekend.

Going to a BBQ on Saturday and a Jays game tonight. I should be home all day Sunday.

Add me!

PSN: Kaydin

I planned on going to JaBistro, but dat blood sugar...! So I went home instead. I think I had 4 pints or something. One with Fire "never finish phd" hawk and three with you guys.

Sunday I may not be on though. Tonight and Saturday I likely will be in between job hunting.

g2ThF04.jpg

source

Oppo

I was at the last two meet ups! D:

If you do go TS, you'd still be giving money, albeit less, to Rogers. Unless you're with Bell now?

Leslieville is big. I'm about 4 blocks away from Gerrard Square. And I apparently live near Epic Tales of Penis!

Ah sorry! was chaotic. I'm north of the Danforth so not Leslieville technically (couldn't afford a house there!)

Ok I'll be on, I have a code as well. PSN: Nerfgun

mr.rager

I was tempted to buy one. I decided to go with Arcteryx instead so I wouldn't be yet another generic Asian with a CG jacket. Moose Knuckles are becoming the overwhelming fashion trend for winter jackets now.

I'll stop talking about winter because I sense the #teamwarm police incoming.

Ugghhh Moose Knuckles. Only Moose Knuckles that are fresh are the womens red parka, the rest looks wack. Actually, only women should wear Moose Knuckles. 99% of guys can't pull off wearing Moose Knuckles. Not gonna lie though, I use to be a Generic Asian ®. I had a CG when it started blowing up then I noticed everyone started to buy one and I didn't want to look like everyone so I went and got a Parajumper.

Nah brah, I live in Vancouver. It doesn't even go below 0 most winters.

Welp, Since you're gonna be living in Toronto, it's time to choose. Be a Generic Asian or be a Not So Generic Asian.

Also are you #teamwinter or #teamwarm?

PS.

Fuck #teamwarm

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh. Last time I trust google reviews.

Avoid Har Gow, which is a dim sum place near Donlands station.

It's the worst dim sum I've ever had barring the time my mother forgot to throw out rotten dim sum. This place is just slightly better than that.

It's one of the rare times I wasn't able to finish everything. Rather not go into details, just avoid it.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
My friends, should I make the 20ish minute drive to try Burger Priest for the first time for lunch/dinner today?

Please note I am in Vaughan.

I will decide if I will go or not based on what you guys say. Also please advise which burger I should get if it is decided I go.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
My friends, should I make the 20ish minute drive to try Burger Priest for the first time for lunch/dinner today?

Please note I am in Vaughan.

I will decide if I will go or not based on what you guys say. Also please advise which burger I should get if it is decided I go.
If you're closer to Holy Chuck or P&L Burger, try those instead. If not, then yes. Don't get anything with blue cheese though, it overpowers everything

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
If you're closer to Holy Chuck or P&L Burger, try those instead. If not, then yes. Don't get anything with blue cheese though, it overpowers everything

Holy Chuck is slightly closer, then that will be what I try out then.

How odd a Five Guys, Burger Priest and Holy Chuck are all on Highway 7 up in Woodbridge, all within about 5 minutes of each other.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Holy Chuck is slightly closer, then that will be what I try out then.

How odd a Five Guys, Burger Priest and Holy Chuck are all on Highway 7 up in Woodbridge, all within about 5 minutes of each other.
Heaven. Though Five Guys is hit or miss depending on which location.

Sigh...pretty much beat the single player content in destiny. Back to withdrawal.

Top Bottom