• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Between 10-15cm for us (more the further north you go). It was a good storm compared to the last few winters, but nothing compared to what dropped on Montreal apparently.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Seriously does Toronto have a horseshoe up it's ass?

Thankfully we haven't been hit by any serious weather conditions in what feels like years. The stuff always just misses us or goes around us.

Stet

Banned
ibclnp3zQoaPEe.png

Soon

#TeamWinter

RCMP will be so badass on these.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Seriously does Toronto have a horseshoe up it's ass?

Thankfully we haven't been hit by any serious weather conditions in what feels like years. The stuff always just misses us or goes around us.

I blame our proximity to a lot of bodies of water

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Yeah, I just assumed everyone did that. Otherwise you end up browsing the rest of GAF which is just a waste of time.

I always wondered what the view was like from that building. I wonder if the new tower just west of it has any view of downtown at all. Also a new condo going up over that hotel (closed a month ago) at the corner of Windermere and Lakeshore.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
So this internship I got working at a community centre is turning into something more permanent, but I have mixed feelings about it.

The internship started off as an opportunity to do some light work in the field of my choice (IT, I did some software development and database management here and there) - but because of staffing issues, it turned into me doing more and more administrative stuff. Which, don't get met wrong, I didn't have a problem with - they paid me well and good enough.

But the more permanent placement is going to be even more administrative. Honestly, it's flattering that they want to keep me and are putting so much effort into keeping me, but I really want to work in a more IT/Technical field, and this position isn't providing me with the experience I really really need right now.

I'm thinking I'll take the position, but start looking/training for more IT positions. It's just hard knowing where to look in the city, everywhere I look I see that they need people with 3-5 years experience in IT and I really don't have that sort of experience. If I am lucky enough to find a truly junior/entry level position, the job will also require I know stuff that I don't have any experience in (sharepoint, for example).

So I think what I will do is spend time 'studying' on my own for the next little bit, really working on a portfolio/web presence and then applying really hard to positions in the upcoming months, all the while working here. I think I know what to do for the studying and portfolio stuff - but when it comes to applying... ugh, I just don't know where I am going to start.

Does GAF have any idea what I should be doing for job searching in the city?

scogoth

So this internship I got working at a community centre is turning into something more permanent, but I have mixed feelings about it.

The internship started off as an opportunity to do some light work in the field of my choice (IT, I did some software development and database management here and there) - but because of staffing issues, it turned into me doing more and more administrative stuff. Which, don't get met wrong, I didn't have a problem with - they paid me well and good enough.

But the more permanent placement is going to be even more administrative. Honestly, it's flattering that they want to keep me and are putting so much effort into keeping me, but I really want to work in a more IT/Technical field, and this position isn't providing me with the experience I really really need right now.

I'm thinking I'll take the position, but start looking/training for more IT positions. It's just hard knowing where to look in the city, everywhere I look I see that they need people with 3-5 years experience in IT and I really don't have that sort of experience. If I am lucky enough to find a truly junior/entry level position, the job will also require I know stuff that I don't have any experience in (sharepoint, for example).

So I think what I will do is spend time 'studying' on my own for the next little bit, really working on a portfolio/web presence and then applying really hard to positions in the upcoming months, all the while working here. I think I know what to do for the studying and portfolio stuff - but when it comes to applying... ugh, I just don't know where I am going to start.

Ah yes the old need work experience to work paradox.... After I graduate next year ill be in the same position. Do you have any certifications, CompTIA, Microsoft, etc? Having few certifications is a great way to prove to them you have the knowledge but haven't been given the opportunity to gain experience. Also certifications will help with learning share point, such a great product wasted by most IT admins and business failing to understand how to use it.

You say city jobs need 3-5 years of experience, you are in a position to slowly gain years of experience.. KEEP AT IT!

thabiz

Practical experience is what you need. Do not load up on certs with no experience. They are called "Paper Techs", and all they show is that you can read. Use certs to highlight your strong areas. Pick one or two and get those.

My best advice would be to go with a staffing agency. They will have a stronger chance of placing you with low experience. You can still remain employed and gain experience while they look for you. I have some contacts you can use, so drop me a PM.

I think you have the right idea. Keep the stable position and work towards your goal. If you leave and try to get something with low experience, your basically fucked.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Ah yes the old need work experience to work paradox.... After I graduate next year ill be in the same position. Do you have any certifications, CompTIA, Microsoft, etc? Having few certifications is a great way to prove to them you have the knowledge but haven't been given the opportunity to gain experience. Also certifications will help with learning share point, such a great product wasted by most IT admins and business failing to understand how to use it.

I'll take a look at sharepoint, as I only know about in passing really - if it's that awesome, maybe I'll enjoy learning more.

You say city jobs need 3-5 years of experience, you are in a position to slowly gain years of experience.. KEEP AT IT!

The problem is that this isn't going to be relevant experience. Sending out emails, keeping track of clients and basic excel/word work isn't really going to give me the experience I want, or employers probably want. I want to be working with databases, writing code and doing everything IT related (except networking, blegh).

Practical experience is what you need. Do not load up on certs with no experience. They are called "Paper Techs", and all they show is that you can read. Use certs to highlight your strong areas. Pick one or two and get those.

My best advice would be to go with a staffing agency. They will have a stronger chance of placing you with low experience. You can still remain employed and gain experience while they look for you. I have some contacts you can use, so drop me a PM.

I think you have the right idea. Keep the stable position and work towards your goal. If you leave and try to get something with low experience, your basically fucked.

I appreciate the advice, and I would REALLY like to know those contacts so I'll drop you a PM.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Azih

Hey all, looking at getting some plane tickets around Family Day week to San Francisco but have no idea how to go about looking for good deals. I tried comparing flight going out of Pearson to those going out of Buffalo and the Buffalo ones seemed more expensive! I think I must be doing something wrong.

What sites are good for this kind of stuff?

MPW

I'll take a look at sharepoint, as I only know about in passing really - if it's that awesome, maybe I'll enjoy learning more.

The problem is that this isn't going to be relevant experience. Sending out emails, keeping track of clients and basic excel/word work isn't really going to give me the experience I want, or employers probably want. I want to be working with databases, writing code and doing everything IT related (except networking, blegh).

I appreciate the advice, and I would REALLY like to know those contacts so I'll drop you a PM.

Thanks for the advice guys!

find a new job

give me your current job (not in IT so I can do that job and not get bored/frustrated)

everyone is happy!

all I can find is 3 month contract positions :(

7dDVW.jpg

source

I took a dog for a walk during the snowfall today. It put me in the best mood ever!
There is nothing more beautiful than walking in the snow. The dogs love it too!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Potty mouth wanker, hush!

EDIT: On an unrelated note, Teksavvy guy came and left and everything went smoothly. 18/1 unlimited, compared to my old & shitty rogers express plan and temporary Bell service.

I like savvying money.

??? I don't think they offer unlimited anymore, do they? I just checked their site and I don't see it...there's a 300GB cap.

krae_man

When I signed up for Teksavvy I asked them if I could log into the website and track my data and they told me they don't have anything that allows customers to track their data usage yet. The website still doesn't have anywhere to track data usage and nowhere on my bill does it day how many GB's I used.

I'm pretty sure they can't track how much data you use and paying for unlimited is wasted money, at least right now.

Also, what is the point of the pro 16 tier? It's more expensive then the 28mbps tier.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
When I signed up for Teksavvy I asked them if I could log into the website and track my data and they told me they don't have anything that allows customers to track their data usage yet. The website still doesn't have anywhere to track data usage and nowhere on my bill does it day how many GB's I used.

I'm pretty sure they can't track how much data you use and paying for unlimited is wasted money, at least right now.

Also, what is the point of the pro 16 tier? It's more expensive then the 28mbps tier.
Yeah I don't think they really track it...

Free TTC? Any of you nuts going to city hall?

Well, I'm future proofed, so that when they do track it.. I'm in the clear. :D

krae_man

Well, I'm future proofed, so that when they do track it.. I'm in the clear. :D

The difference between capped and uncapped is $15 and the max overage fee is $25.

You're actually better off going on the 300gb cap level and switching to unlimited the first time you go over. If you hit the cap for the first time at any point past the first month, it's cheaper to pay the overage and switch then. The worst thing that can happen is you pay $10 more if you go over in the first month.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
The difference between capped and uncapped is $15 and the max overage fee is $25.

You're actually better off going on the 300gb cap level and switching to unlimited the first time you go over. The worst thing that can happen is you pay $10 more if you go over in the first month.
You pay extra for switching plans...still that isn't a bad idea.

You're actually better off going on the 300gb cap level and switching to unlimited the first time you go over. If you hit the cap for the first time at any point past the first month, it's cheaper to pay the overage and switch then. The worst thing that can happen is you pay $10 more if you go over in the first month.

I'm not the micro-managing, worrying type. I'm happy with what I have.

krae_man

You pay extra for switching plans...still that isn't a bad idea.

I can't see why they would make you pay a fee to upgrade to a more expensive plan. If such a fee existed it could probably easily be waved by just saying "I'm not upgrading unless you wave the switching fee".

Sober

Yeah I don't think they really track it...

Free TTC? Any of you nuts going to city hall?
I thought it was a good idea last year. Didn't go, but a) no one to go with me b) not after getting home from work then having to pick my parents up from the airport and c) well I didn't have a c.

I don't mind the cold but the crowd is something I'd prefer to avoid. Rather just stay at home and watch it on CityTV like every other year.

My GF told me she went to City Hall one year and getting out of the area was insane, plus the music is horrible

I kinda wanted to go to see how it would compare to the Bastille Day crowd at the Eiffel Tower I experienced in July.......the streets were littered with wine bottles, cars were trying to push through crowds of people walking on the streets, the police and what looked like military were patrolling, Metro stations were blocked by police and then suddenly they let people go down in a not at all orderly fashion lol

Top Bottom