• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Fellow ex-Koei worker and Torontonian has just made an Android game I figured you guys would like

My Pet Mayor

I'm normally against sharing anything Android only, but in this case I'll give it a pass.

Kraftwerk

Sorry about double post

Could someone explain this to me...like...what

10425376_1444304779188503_3007031109781352166_n.jpg

soultron

Banned
I went to SIGNS last night, funnily enough! My GF surprised me with it. I was a bit apprehensive since I had a long week and was worried it would feel like more work, but it was actually fantastic. One of the best and most interesting restaurant experiences I've had in a long time. I'll write more in a bit.

EDIT:

So there are people who can speak out loud (but also speak ASL) who will help you in, and then they will introduce you to your server, who will (assumedly) only speak ASL. Our server was so enthusiastic and that made the experience great. If you get stuck ordering stuff there's a cheat sheet with heavy use ASL signs (even has conversational ASL signs) and every menu option shows you how to order in ASL. Also, our server taught us additional stuff (she asked if we wanted to learn) while we waited for our food. My GF and I were having so much fun that we looked up additional signs on our phones to tell the server how great of a job she was doing. So, if you're willing to learn a bit of a new language and perhaps feel disadvantaged a bit at first, you can have a great time if you bring a positive attitude in. Your servers will love it if you put in the effort.

The food was actually good too! We both ordered butternut squash ravioli and it was pretty tasty. Pretty sure it had truffle oil on it, to match the flavours of walnuts and mushrooms they dressed the ravioli in. The pasta itself was cooked just right and the filling was fantastic. It came with garlic bread that wasn't overpowering either, which is a plus for me since I hate when garlic is used but dominates other flavours instead of coexisting with or enhancing other flavours. Mains were 16, I believe.

For dessert we had a chocolate trio (white chocolate ice cream, dark chocolate crackle cookie, chocolate mousse) and the Nutella tiramisu. Fantastic quality and presentation. Deserts were 9.

Overall, I feel that there are culinary students or grads working the kitchen because this is definitely not family chain restaurant fare. There's a bit of imagination in their food (nothing too crazy though) and it all feels handcrafted on the spot, that day instead of frozen, bagged, or anything else like that.

Our bill came out to 76 after taxes and before tip (I also had 2 Guinness draughts) but I felt it was worth every penny. It's a great experience I hope to bring family and friends to, providing that they're open to it.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I went to SIGNS last night, funnily enough! My GF surprised me with it. I was a bit apprehensive since I had a long week and was worried it would feel like more work, but it was actually fantastic. One of the best and most interesting restaurant experiences I've had in a long time. I'll write more in a bit.

EDIT:

So there are people who can speak out loud (but also speak ASL) who will help you in, and then they will introduce you to your server, who will (assumedly) only speak ASL. Our server was so enthusiastic and that made the experience great. If you get stuck ordering stuff there's a cheat sheet with heavy use ASL signs (even has conversational ASL signs) and every menu option shows you how to order in ASL. Also, our server taught us additional stuff (she asked if we wanted to learn) while we waited for our food. My GF and I were having so much fun that we looked up additional signs on our phones to tell the server how great of a job she was doing. So, if you're willing to learn a bit of a new language and perhaps feel disadvantaged a bit at first, you can have a great time if you bring a positive attitude in. Your servers will love it if you put in the effort.

The food was actually good too! We both ordered butternut squash ravioli and it was pretty tasty. Pretty sure it had truffle oil on it, to match the flavours of walnuts and mushrooms they dressed the ravioli in. The pasta itself was cooked just right and the filling was fantastic. It came with garlic bread that wasn't overpowering either, which is a plus for me since I hate when garlic is used but dominates other flavours instead of coexisting with or enhancing other flavours. Mains were 16, I believe.

For dessert we had a chocolate trio (white chocolate ice cream, dark chocolate crackle cookie, chocolate mousse) and the Nutella tiramisu. Fantastic quality and presentation. Deserts were 9.

Overall, I feel that there are culinary students or grads working the kitchen because this is definitely not family chain restaurant fare. There's a bit of imagination in their food (nothing too crazy though) and it all feels handcrafted on the spot, that day instead of frozen, bagged, or anything else like that.

Our bill came out to 76 after taxes and before tip (I also had 2 Guinness draughts) but I felt it was worth every penny. It's a great experience I hope to bring family and friends to, providing that they're open to it.
I...what...No PICS?! D:

Thanks for the impressions though. Still doesn't seem like a place I'd want to go...but you never know.

Anony

where does one get a gameboy micro without getting ripped off in toronto?
probably such a places does not exist

maybe it would be easier to find an android portable that's gb micro sized instead

soultron

Banned
Hah. I live in the moment, maaaannnn.

Yeah, it's a place that if you're not into the whole experience, it will definitely be bad for you and the staff. Don't do it unless you're committed, basically.

Anony, I have a GBM (silver front face plate only, not mint but still in good condition. No box or manuals but I have the charger) if you want it. PM me an offer if you're interested.

Quadratic

Anyone been to El Furniture Warehouse yet? It's the new hipster restaurant in the annex that has really good food for 4.95 apparently. In now and looking at the menu.

Braised beef spaghetti

Beet and goat cheese salad

Braised beef dip au jus

For 4.95???

There has to be a catch right? And the food I see at the other tables look great.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Burgers Priest is expensive as hell but so good. Similar to Five Guys imo.
You bite your bloody tongue, ser! >=[

Holy Chuck and Burger's Priest are both good. I'd be hard pressed to choose a favorite. Though BP is closer...at least Holy Chuck you can sit down.

Anyone been to El Furniture Warehouse yet? It's the new hipster restaurant in the annex that has really good food for 4.95 apparently. In now and looking at the menu.

Braised beef spaghetti

Beet and goat cheese salad

Braised beef dip au jus

For 4.95???

There has to be a catch right? And the food I see at the other tables look great.
Definitely recommended. I went on opening night and it was great. Portion sizes were better than expected, food tasted good, and my bill was super cheap. Plus I ended up getting 2 free shots each for me and m'lady.

The catch is alcohol is a little more expensive.

Kraftwerk

I am thinking about going to see Guardians of the Galaxy tomorrow,. Was thinking of doing an impromptu meetup. Movie and then some beers after. nothing fancy.

Let me know if anyone wants to go.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Trying Yakitori Kintori finally tonight. Pumped up!
lemme know how it is. Zakkushi is pretty tough to beat though...but if their pork belly is anything like their yakitori, you'll be in heaven
Hit the gym breh
How bout you hit the bottle, you alcoholic! >: (
I am getting a new number on Wednesday, so no phone until then.

Might just go tomorrow. Hate this fucking rain.
'hot and humid summer'

Top Bottom