• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

cbox

Fell asleep after lunch because it was pretty darn hot. Woke up an hour or so later and it was cold. I thought I slept till fall.

soultron

Banned
Yakitori Kintori is so good. But so expensive. I went with a buddy and my GF, and we got Chef's Selection (Chicken and Beef) for 3 (58.50) and a Seafood Selection (18.50) and a couple of steamed pork buns. The food was so good... especially since I've not had anything BBQ all summer. But damn if the bill coming in at 130 (had a beer each and another a la carte item) at the end didn't hurt a bit.

Hi Toronto GAF, I'm visiting cn tower today with my parents from hawaii and a couple of their relatives from the Philippines who haven't been out of their country before. Any other tourists friendly stuff to see + nice place for lunch in the area? I'm driving there if that helps.

Plus I'm assuming that finding parking might suck?

zroid

Banned
Hi Toronto GAF, I'm visiting cn tower today with my parents and a couple of their relatives. Any other tourists friendly stuff to see + nice place for lunch in the area? I'm driving there if that helps.

Well the Aquarium is next-door, and that's pretty great.

Quadratic

Hi Toronto GAF, I'm visiting cn tower today with my parents from hawaii and a couple of their relatives from the Philippines who haven't been out of their country before. Any other tourists friendly stuff to see + nice place for lunch in the area? I'm driving there if that helps.

Plus I'm assuming that finding parking might suck?

All the restaurants in the area cater to tourists. There's a Baton Rouge near John and Front. Going along Front Street east you'll hit chain restaurants like Boston Pizza, Casey's Jack Astor's as you approach University. Hard to recommend stuff since I don't frequent the area much for food.

Parking will be hit or miss since the weather looks like it may rain today. I would stick just parking once and walking to whatever restaurant you guys decide instead of driving around because Front Street is a mess due to construction at Union Station.

I've taken relatives to the Steam Whistle brewery tour and had fun (check the website for availability). Depends if they are drinkers of course. Fort York is a short drive west of the CN Tower if that's interesting. The Aquarium has already been mentioned.

Edit: Oh, since it's close, maybe a tour of the Rogers Centre? aka Skydome. Baseball fans in your family?

Azih

Walk along the waterfront and Centre Island maybe? Not as fun in the rain but it's actually a pretty nice waterfront walk. Hard to get to though because of the dumb raised highway.

BxGYUkn.jpg

source

Quadratic

Since you are in a tourist area the prices for food do tend to be a bit pricier than other parts of the city. There are food trucks if I recall in front to the convention centre if you are in a pinch. Just the standard hotdogs/hamburgers and fries, I think.

Azih

I take it you have difficulty uses crosswalks at street lights? That's the only thing I can think of that would make it hard for you.

It's not hard for me because I'm used to the city. It's confusing as hell for everyone else though because you can't see the lake until you're practically on top of the thing and have to go under an incredibly dark and offputting highway underpass to get there.

Edit: There's been a bunch of times where I have had to assure tourists or convention attendees that yes that really is where the lakeshore is and I work on Front. I know people who come here on business and have even stayed at the Royal York for weeks and walked around and never realized they were a five minute walk from a pretty well developed lakefront.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
And now with the wall of condos it doesn't matter that the Gardiner is there because those same people wouldn't know the lake is there. I gave up a long time ago trying to give directions to people. I just use my phone to show them where to go.

explodet

I know people who come here on business and have even stayed at the Royal York for weeks and walked around and never realized they were a five minute walk from a pretty well developed lakefront.
Can't blame them - have you seen it lately? Not only about the condos and the Gardiner, but Queen's Quay W has been torn up with construction for over two years.

An hour late into work this morning. Westend TTC was chaos.

Someone was injured at track level at Lansdowne so instead of taking the shuttle busses, which I hate, I decided to go back to Jane and take the Dupont 26 for a leisurely ride to St. George. Just as I board that bus tons of people start coming up from the subway. Apparently someone had hit the emergency button at Jane and the driver tipped them off about the Dupont route. That's my little secret! Bah!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Someone was injured at track level at Lansdowne so instead of taking the shuttle busses, which I hate, I decided to go back to Jane and take the Dupont 26 for a leisurely ride to St. George. Just as I board that bus tons of people start coming up from the subway. Apparently someone had hit the emergency button at Jane and the driver tipped them off about the Dupont route. That's my little secret! Bah!

TTC: World Class Subway

Stet

Banned

TTC: World Class Subway

Every day is an adventure! Will I show up 10 minutes early or 30 minutes late? Maybe it's a metaphor for our weather!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Every day is an adventure! Will I show up 10 minutes early or 30 minutes late? Maybe it's a metaphor for our weather!

Pretty much this...

I'd like it to be more consistent. Even the apps I use only give a very iffy approximation.

Example today is the 83 Jones bus; the fucking app is telling me 20 minutes when I KNOW one is going to come in a few minutes. Sure enough, one comes in a few minutes and the fucking app updates at the last minute.

When I was in Asia (Seoul, Hong Kong, Tokyo)
* I didn't see drivers stopping at intersections to jump out and go to a convenience store
* I didn't see drivers passive aggressively stopping the bus to let the crowd give shit to a person who had a bike on the bus during the wrong hours
* I didn't see people working at the station sleeping or watching DVDs
* Subway trains were always on time and their goddamn timer was actually accurate
* I didn't have to pay 3 CAD to use the transit
* I didn't see buses on the same route leapfrogging each other.
* I didn't see 3 or sometimes 4 of the same buses at the station all waiting there for god knows what

So you guys see that fatal motorcycle crash on the 401? I was driving home with my brother, and we were there right as the police, ambulances, and fire trucks showed up. As we were waiting, my brother says "ooh shit, I thinki see a body", and we all look out and see this orange blanket covering what looks like a body.

Later when we drove by we saw a SUV with two people, it didn't seem to have any damage, and a van with no damage as well. By a police car was the orange blanket and....at first I guess I was just focused on the blanket itself, but my girlfriend just makes this weird noise and I look left of the blanket...and there was this...stuff. Like, I don't want to really think about what stuff. I can't scrub this image from my brain, and I keep thinking about death and the afterlife and shit.

Even more fucked, we were on the 401 and it was fine, a guy flies by us going 150-160 on a motorcycle, then another, then a lot traffic, then...yeah. So fucked, I can't stop thinking about it.

Man I've been looking at Twitter and Google news and there's like no mentions of anything happening which I find completely insane

I've never seen that many police cars in one area before. There were like officers with dogs sniffing for something. Like you wouldn't send that many cruisers patrolling the area and parking near the ends of roads and middles of crescents unless it was some serious shit

yyzjohn

Banned
So you guys see that fatal motorcycle crash on the 401? I was driving home with my brother, and we were there right as the police, ambulances, and fire trucks showed up. As we were waiting, my brother says "ooh shit, I thinki see a body", and we all look out and see this orange blanket covering what looks like a body.

Later when we drove by we saw a SUV with two people, it didn't seem to have any damage, and a van with no damage as well. By a police car was the orange blanket and....at first I guess I was just focused on the blanket itself, but my girlfriend just makes this weird noise and I look left of the blanket...and there was this...stuff. Like, I don't want to really think about what stuff. I can't scrub this image from my brain, and I keep thinking about death and the afterlife and shit.

Even more fucked, we were on the 401 and it was fine, a guy flies by us going 150-160 on a motorcycle, then another, then a lot traffic, then...yeah. So fucked, I can't stop thinking about it.

Just reading your account creeps me the fuck out. I never want to see something like that.

Azih

In less horrifying news. Andrew Wiggins got traded from Cleveland to Minnesota which makes it much more likely that he'll want to bolt out of there as soon as possible. The possibility of Wiggins getting to the Raptors in the medium term is much higher now.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
In less horrifying news. Andrew Wiggins got traded from Cleveland to Minnesota which makes it much more likely that he'll want to bolt out of there as soon as possible. The possibility of Wiggins getting to the Raptors in the medium term is much higher now.
What bullshit. I'm sure we'll get Wiggins back somehow.

Quadratic

Going to Copacabana tomorrow for Brazilian BBQ. Anyone been and care to share their experience? The Adelaide location I have reservations to seem to be more negative reviews on yelp than their Eglinton Ave restaurant. I couldn't get reservations for the latter.

Going to Copacabana tomorrow for Brazilian BBQ. Anyone been and care to share their experience? The Adelaide location I have reservations to seem to be more negative reviews on yelp than their Eglinton Ave restaurant. I couldn't get reservations for the latter.

I've been to the Eglinton location

I loved it!

Don't fill up at the salad bar as the meat will be coming at you faster than you can eat it :D

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

I've been to the Eglinton one a couple of times and loved it. Get a couple of small things at the salad bar because the meat just keeps coming. It's mostly beef but they have some chicken, pork and fish. The grilled pineapple is godly and I generally don't like pineapple very much.

I saw that EXACT same thing happen like 5 years ago. Driving on the DVP, two motorcycles speed by going insane speeds. Then we hit traffic out of nowhere and then tons of cops and ambulances speed by us. I think that scenario plays out very often.

I saw that EXACT same thing happen like 5 years ago. Driving on the DVP, two motorcycles speed by going insane speeds. Then we hit traffic out of nowhere and then tons of cops and ambulances speed by us. I think that scenario plays out very often.

I can't even imagine how the people who actually saw what happened must feel...

Top Bottom