• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Rinoa

I went to SIGNS last night, funnily enough! My GF surprised me with it. I was a bit apprehensive since I had a long week and was worried it would feel like more work, but it was actually fantastic. One of the best and most interesting restaurant experiences I've had in a long time. I'll write more in a bit.

EDIT:

So there are people who can speak out loud (but also speak ASL) who will help you in, and then they will introduce you to your server, who will (assumedly) only speak ASL. Our server was so enthusiastic and that made the experience great. If you get stuck ordering stuff there's a cheat sheet with heavy use ASL signs (even has conversational ASL signs) and every menu option shows you how to order in ASL. Also, our server taught us additional stuff (she asked if we wanted to learn) while we waited for our food. My GF and I were having so much fun that we looked up additional signs on our phones to tell the server how great of a job she was doing. So, if you're willing to learn a bit of a new language and perhaps feel disadvantaged a bit at first, you can have a great time if you bring a positive attitude in. Your servers will love it if you put in the effort.

The food was actually good too! We both ordered butternut squash ravioli and it was pretty tasty. Pretty sure it had truffle oil on it, to match the flavours of walnuts and mushrooms they dressed the ravioli in. The pasta itself was cooked just right and the filling was fantastic. It came with garlic bread that wasn't overpowering either, which is a plus for me since I hate when garlic is used but dominates other flavours instead of coexisting with or enhancing other flavours. Mains were 16, I believe.

For dessert we had a chocolate trio (white chocolate ice cream, dark chocolate crackle cookie, chocolate mousse) and the Nutella tiramisu. Fantastic quality and presentation. Deserts were 9.

Overall, I feel that there are culinary students or grads working the kitchen because this is definitely not family chain restaurant fare. There's a bit of imagination in their food (nothing too crazy though) and it all feels handcrafted on the spot, that day instead of frozen, bagged, or anything else like that.

Our bill came out to 76 after taxes and before tip (I also had 2 Guinness draughts) but I felt it was worth every penny. It's a great experience I hope to bring family and friends to, providing that they're open to it.

Dat hivemind, surprised my husband (who also had an awful long week) by taking him to Signs as well!

He had no idea what was going on until we sat down and the situation explained.

Food was just under the middle end of the spectrum, definitely not high end but decently plated and healthy portions. It's really about the experience though! Service is excellent as many staff need to be attending in various ways. Was considering the raviolli but I didn't want to get something that was meant to have nuts in it and nerf it due to allergy. I think adding special additions to your order is expected though.

It was interesting that they simply brought out the tea case for choice. There were no pots though, rather, a cup of hot water was brought to the table. This meant the need to ask for another cup later on and for milk, which came in those little disposable plastic containers. They are probably still in need of proper tea sets.

The staff are very sweet and I saw them hugging each other often or signing "I love you" to each other. We also ended up wanting to look up more signs!
BvsDf-aCcAALbIN.jpg

I also ordered the (italian) (chocolate) (layered) for dessert

We're not allowed to take pics of the menus and signage/cheat sheets though, as the images are copyrighted.

Why the hell did Rob Ford start his racoon fear mongering again and why is talk radio all over it? Is rehab actually working and Rob hasn't gone on another drunken tirade and they have nothing better to talk about?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmm Rinoa

Glad to hear you had a good time cause I was just reading a pretty scathing review of it on Reddit. Though they seemed to hate everything there, but the hate for Signs and Copacabana on Eglinton stood out.

Signs said service was mediocre, food below average, and bread was supposed to come but when the couple asked, the manager just rudely put it in front of them.

Copa said they take your reservations with a CC and charge you if you don't show up. One dude claimed they charged him even though he did show up. Another said the service was poor and not enough meat came out and that they had to wait a really long time for drinks due to shitty service.

Hmmmm...of all the places I've been to in Toronto, I'm not sure I've been to any with absolutely outstanding service. Certainly good and above what I would expect but not outstanding.

Best is probably a place I went to in Yorkville and we were served by a French guy. Worst is some restaurant on King and the guy was extremely unattentive considering there were only a few people in the restaurant. Had to ask for menus, water, and bill several times and food was pretty bad - closest I've come to complaining to a manager.

explodet

Hmmmm...of all the places I've been to in Toronto, I'm not sure I've been to any with absolutely outstanding service. Certainly good and above what I would expect but not outstanding.
Service in Toronto is, on average, somewhere between tolerable and "we might as well be cattle". I can't put my finger on exactly why, though. Everybody I know who visits from the US remarks at how the service isn't as good here as it in anywhere in America.
It's too bad, because you always remember the bad service.

One time at this popular Pho restaurant which no longer exists we were seated, our orders taken, and wasn't even glanced at for half an hour. After which someone who wasn't our server wanted to know if we were ready for the check.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Service in Toronto is, on average, somewhere between tolerable and "we might as well be cattle". I can't put my finger on exactly why, though. Everybody I know who visits from the US remarks at how the service isn't as good here as it in anywhere in America.
It's too bad, because you always remember the bad service.

One time at this popular Pho restaurant which no longer exists we were seated, our orders taken, and wasn't even glanced at for half an hour. After which someone who wasn't our server wanted to know if we were ready for the check.
Hahaha that is awesome. Too notch service I've had has been in Asia ironically and there were no tips involved there

mr.rager

Anyone been to Korean Village Restaurant? Good? Bad? Average? Any other Korean places you guys would recommend? Been fiening for some Korean food lately and apparently this place is among the best downtown.

Quadratic

I prefer Ka Chi at Markham and Bloor. Kuro likes Arisu across the street at the same intersection.

Are you going with a group of people? I've been to Korean Village before and it's okay. It's a bit spendier than some of the neighbouring restaurants.

explodet

Korean Village (I always knew it as the Han Kuk Kwan) is pretty safe. Nice atmosphere, food's all right, and yes, prices above average for the area.

There's a Ka Chi in the same neighbourhood too, although I've never been to that particular one. Then again, these days I just get pork bone soup at the Owl.

soultron

Banned
Thanksgiving waffle and (apple) pie milkshake were god-tier/next-level deliciousness.
Cocoa infused fried chicken may as well have been brown food colouring added to the batter cause it didn't taste anything like cocoa.

The pie milkshake was okay only because the the milkshake itself was good. I found the extra chunks of pie crust to take away from the milkshake.

Rinoa

For Korean food I just buy and make at home from PAT supermarket, the marinated meat so gewd.

Duff/st clair is starting to become filled with azn restaurants lately. New pho places, sushi places and now new a tea place.

Hahaha that is awesome. Too notch service I've had has been in Asia ironically and there were no tips involved there

Love no tip places like that, in places like Japan's higher end restaurants (and even some middle end) the service is extremely detailed and attentive despite not having the best quality china/plate sets and silverware like Europe high end restaurants tends to always have.

alienxx45

I prefer Ka Chi at Markham and Bloor. Kuro likes Arisu across the street at the same intersection.

Are you going with a group of people? I've been to Korean Village before and it's okay. It's a bit spendier than some of the neighbouring restaurants.

Depends on what you want to eat. If its for an actual meal like meat/rice then Ka Chi or Arisu is ok although price wise is a bit more than Korean Village if i remember correctly. If you want soups then i would rec' Buk Chang Dong Soon Tofu or Tofu Village a block away. There is also an Ajuker in the area if you want some Korean fried chicken.

mr.rager

Gonna be going with my gf and nieces. I've heard good things about Arisu too. Have to take a look at this Ka Chi.

Korean Village (I always knew it as the Han Kuk Kwan) is pretty safe. Nice atmosphere, food's all right, and yes, prices above average for the area.

There's a Ka Chi in the same neighbourhood too, although I've never been to that particular one. Then again, these days I just get pork bone soup at the Owl.

Safe bet eh? I'm guessing all of the restaurants you guys recommended are pretty good. Can't go wrong with any of them. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

jokkir

According to a lot of my Korean friends, Ka chi isn't really that great for Korean food. Or at least something authentic tasting. But I still enjoy it despite that since I have no idea what real Korean food tastes like.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
According to a lot of my Korean friends, Ka chi isn't really that great for Korean food. Or at least something authentic tasting. But I still enjoy it despite that since I have no idea what real Korean food tastes like.

-_-

I've heard a lot of Koreans complain about this...

It's Korean food made by Koreans using Korean ingredients and Korean methods.

Really, they could complain it doesn't 'taste' good, but the authentic complaint doesn't hold water for me.

I will say that the Korean food in Korea was overall much better, but there were also a lot of bad places I went to in Seoul and Busan as well.

Ka Chi isn't bad, their pork bone soup is ok. I'd argue it's pretty similar to what I had in Korea, so eh...

whitehawk

Banned
Holllly fuck. Has anyone with Wind tried calling their customer support? They are uselsss. I added a $10 data add-on but was charged twice for it, and they keep trying to tell me it was my fault and won't refund it to me.

N° 2048

Lotta rapes around Pape station that isn't being mentioned anywhere...???

Wait, is this actually true?

I used to live a five minute walk from Pape. Once my girlfriend was visiting and swore two guys wearing all black clothes were following her. She ended up reporting it just to be safe.

Random: Has anyone eaten from Cho Cho Cho?

explodet

Fairview is a fancy mall?
Compared to Dufferin Mall, maybe? They're spot on with the Lawrence West mall, at least.

And we were just talking about this - Christie is where all the Koreans are (or at least were). I ain't seen no Koreans in Ossington.

I do enjoy that they have no idea what to do with Bessarion.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, is this actually true?

I used to live a five minute walk from Pape. Once my girlfriend was visiting and swore two guys wearing all black clothes were following her. She ended up reporting it just to be safe.

Random: Has anyone eaten from Cho Cho Cho?
maybe...

I'm not sure where they got that name from. I've. Been there plenty of times and never felt unsafe

jokkir

So a bunch of people got sprayed with something at the end of Buskerfest and I think I caught it on video. Uhhhhhhhhh what now. It's not being reported by news so it can't be that big of a deal right? Lots of emergency vehicles were there though

Rinoa

Compared to Dufferin Mall, maybe? They're spot on with the Lawrence West mall, at least.

And we were just talking about this - Christie is where all the Koreans are (or at least were). I ain't seen no Koreans in Ossington.

I do enjoy that they have no idea what to do with Bessarion.

This. The map needs to be fixed! Casa Loma is on the wrong spot, Christie is Koreans, hipsters should be on Ossington now. Lotta MILF/Yoga yuppies at Eglinton too which was missed out on. Rich people (affluent mansions and not the new shit) is York mills not sheppard though.

Long ass walk used to have long escalators that kept breaking down. Loved that thing though, used to ride a bike on it lol.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Are you coming to the meetup next week? A lot of people want to buy you coors light. Others want to kill you.

It's on Friday?

I'll see if I can swing by. I'm going to have a very busy week.

Today played 4 baseball games, playing a baseball game a night Monday to Thursday, Friday is finally a free day and then 2 games on both Saturday and Sunday.

Quick

Banned
So a bunch of people got sprayed with something at the end of Buskerfest and I think I caught it on video. Uhhhhhhhhh what now. It's not being reported by news so it can't be that big of a deal right? Lots of emergency vehicles were there though

What the hell?

I'm assuming it was nothing if it isn't on the news by now.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
This. The map needs to be fixed! Casa Loma is on the wrong spot, Christie is Koreans, hipsters should be on Ossington now. Lotta MILF/Yoga yuppies at Eglinton too which was missed out on. Rich people (affluent mansions and not the new shit) is York mills not sheppard though.

Long ass walk used to have long escalators that kept breaking down. Loved that thing though, used to ride a bike on it lol.

Loved the long escalators.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Top Bottom