• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Azih

Hey guys could any of you give me recommendations on good value cable/internet plans?

My roommate and I have Rogers at the moment, but now that our 8 month student plan is up the price has jumped from $80 to $140, which is just too much.

I generally always recommend TekSavvy. They've got a variety of plans and reasonable compromises like 'Zap the cap' for unlimited usage and downloading from 2 am - 8 am that doesn't count against your cap. What's your net usage like?

it's a 'no frills' service though so you won't get a 'free' modem or 'free setup' though. That's paid up front, but it's made up by the lower monthly prices.

Do you guys REALLY need cable? Live sports is the only good reason for it that I can see.

ZZMitch

I generally always recommend TekSavvy. They've got a variety of plans and reasonable compromises like 'Zap the cap' for unlimited usage and downloading from 2 am - 8 am that doesn't count against your cap. What's your net usage like?

it's a 'no frills' service though so you won't get a 'free' modem or 'free setup' though. That's paid up front, but it's made up by the lower monthly prices.

Do you guys REALLY need cable?

We used about 60gb last month. Thats on the higher end of our usage I believe. I am debating getting rid of cable too, dunno how my roommate feels about it though. I will have to ask him and see what he says!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
We used about 60gb last month. Thats on the higher end of our usage I believe. I am debating getting rid of cable too, dunno how my roommate feels about it though. I will have to ask him and see what he says!

Get rid of Rogers and definitely go to Teksavvy.

Their caps are 300GB though it seems you won't reach. What are your speeds for 80?

Yeah, the only reason I don't go is the really lackluster gaming section. Once that gets better and is not just mostly Ubisoft, I'll go.
D: He knows not what he speakth, soultron! We love Ubisoft...

Except for their level designers. They really need to improve upon their bland level design.

jokkir

Get rid of Rogers and definitely go to Teksavvy.

Their caps are 300GB though it seems you won't reach. What are your speeds for 80?

Except for their level designers. They really need to improve upon their bland level design.

Hahaha I don't really mind Ubisoft but I want more! More I say!

soultron

Banned

Hah, you're allowed to say whatever you like. I won't be angry or the slightest bit miffed if you don't like Ubisoft or any of the games released under the name. :)

Really nice CNE shots, jokkir. Makes me wish I had gone at night!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Hah, you're allowed to say whatever you like. I won't be angry or the slightest bit miffed if you don't like Ubisoft or any of the games released under the name. :)

Really nice CNE shots, jokkir. Makes me wish I had gone at night!

GG soulton...

Such a GG D:

Sigh, work is going so slowly. Still a few hours from Ramen Time.

Edit: meet up over for me at least. Blood sugar...HNNNGFGHHHH! Met some awesome new people. Did NOT lose to anybody at any Kirby games. I did not personally tip the stand off-ish waitress too. Sympathized even more with Aussies and Kiwis when it comes to game prices. And was able to win the Great Temperature Battle of 2014 August by default. #teamcold leader Kraftwerk had to "work". Kave_Man had to shed. I win!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't gone to the CNE in quite a few years now, I feel like it's kind of depressing/sad? I dunno... I loved it as a kid when the free admission to Ontario Place = power pod!

Old CNE pics
http://www.blogto.com/city/2011/08/what_the_cne_used_to_look_like/
It's a victim of it's own creation. It's part of a tradition that's been in Toronto for decades and that tradition has allowed for very few changes. It's the same old rides, same old midway games, same set up, and same shows and performances. The food can change up a little and that's why people get excited over it, but when it's the same thing year after year and I daresay that they even keep cutting small parts, there isn't much new or exciting to keep it fresh.

Will I take it my kid to it in 10 years or so when I have one? Sure. It's tradition. Will I personally be excited? No, because I know what to expect.

Kirby isn't real.
We saw some expert (rice) ball handling tonight.
That's RIGHT! Kirby does NOT exist!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Would anyone take 20 bucks to drive me from downtown to Ikea and back with some furniture? Completely serious here lol.

I would if I didn't already have plans...sorry, bud!

Pics from Last Night

Ramen

SPY8N9X.jpg

Not bad by any means at all. Not up to the par of Kinton though.

Left side of the table at Mick
kkf4fIo.jpg

mr. rager, whitehawk, junior mint, kinitari, fuzzy, dr campino, quadratic's head, brinbe's head, who is the guy at the bottom left????

Right side of the table at Mick
6Ur1jh8.jpg

sober covering up louis c.k. lookalike, evilmario, brinbe, kinitari, and on the other end it's lostconfused, soultron, dynasty warrior alphatw00, dr campino's genius girlfriend, dr campino, fuzzy's head, mr rager's head, whitehawk's head

Cheers!
FjHWou0.jpg

toasting a nice hot summer day!

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Whoa whoa whoa whoa

whoa!

WHOA!!!

A girl at our sausagefest?

I leave for a few and all of a sudden you let girls in? I see how it is!

Sober

3DS-fest just before the Ramen meetup. Not shown: some Vitas.

EM's two copies of MK7 and his copy of Nintendogs: Cats

Japanese Poutine. Eh.

This is TO-GAF tipping

Quadratic and Whitehawk fondling those balls

Cripplegate, Mupod, Alpha, Soultron's tattooed arm and Junior Mint on the other side of the table watching the ball fondling

Brinbe is passed the fuck out. Also dat next-gen bloom.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Next time I gotta hang out later. But the last two times I had something to do the morning... :(

Great laugh was when we got our beers at Mick. I was sitting across from dr campino and his girlfriend. I say cheers and everyone inadvertently skips dr campino's girl.

It was a hover cheers... :<

Anyone else watching Muchmusic's top 100 videos of all time? I've been watching since #25 and it's actually a really solid list.........makes me miss the old days of Much =/

alienxx45

What stores would be the best bets for Funko Pop! dolls?

Aside from 401 and Silver Snail, Harry Tarantula has probably the bigger collection. Also depends on the type of characters you are looking for, if its comic/game related then the stores mentioned before would be best but if you want more pop culture ones you should check your average HMV and Hot Topic.

Aside from 401 and Silver Snail, Harry Tarantula has probably the bigger collection. Also depends on the type of characters you are looking for, if its comic/game related then the stores mentioned before would be best but if you want more pop culture ones you should check your average HMV and Hot Topic.

Rocket Raccoon!

Next time I gotta hang out later. But the last two times I had something to do the morning... :(

Great laugh was when we got our beers at Mick. I was sitting across from dr campino and his girlfriend. I say cheers and everyone inadvertently skips dr campino's girl.

It was a hover cheers... :<
It's because of the unmentionable event that happened.

You mean when they played music videos? :(

I wish I knew this was on.

30 years of Much is on now......unfortunately it has mostly been current VJs (they still have VJs?!?!) and insignificant current Canadian bands (Hedley?!?) talking about the old VJs doing awesome stuff

K-Os bit was good though

Heh, Nardwar!

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
30 years of Much is on now......unfortunately it has mostly been current VJs (they still have VJs?!?!) and insignificant current Canadian bands (Hedley?!?) talking about the old VJs doing awesome stuff

K-Os bit was good though

Heh, Nardwar!

No Erica Ehm? Steve Anthony? Master T? Rick the Temp? Bill Welychka?

Heck, even Ed the Sock.

I used to love Fromage with Master T and Ed the Sock.

mr.rager

Rachel Perry is the best.

Also, had an awesome time at the meet up. Meeting new and old people. Managed to catch the last train back to Sauga with 5 minutes to spare lol.

Sweet Ivy

How does the Toronto ComiCon compare to FanExpoCanada.
I could only go for a couple of hours on Friday and was blasted away (artists' alley and comics area are pretty cool), won't be able to go tomorrow unfortunatel, would have liked to attend the Patrick Stuart event.

Rinoa

Queen Monika will forever be my favourite

3222.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dtyi0__CYvg

new streetcars on spadina tomorrow
http://www.cp24.com/news/new-streetcars-officially-in-service-sunday-on-510-spadina-line-1.1984593

It's a victim of it's own creation. It's part of a tradition that's been in Toronto for decades and that tradition has allowed for very few changes. It's the same old rides, same old midway games, same set up, and same shows and performances. The food can change up a little and that's why people get excited over it, but when it's the same thing year after year and I daresay that they even keep cutting small parts, there isn't much new or exciting to keep it fresh.

Will I take it my kid to it in 10 years or so when I have one? Sure. It's tradition. Will I personally be excited? No, because I know what to expect.

That's RIGHT! Kirby does NOT exist!

Even as a kid I dreaded it, the only highlight was if there were new videogame systems out there to test. Everything costed so much money back then and I am scared to find out how much it costs to do "fun" stuff for 3 seconds now.

Quick

Banned
Reporting back from Fan Expo. First of two days for me.

Pros:

Fan Expo basically took over the Metro Toronto Convention Centre entirely. The layout's similar to last year, minus sports. I didn't think Sports took off, and its omission just confirms it. Nerds have no love for pro sports, I guess.

The space inside the North Building was used adequately, I think. The omission of the sports area left more space by the side entrance.

South Building is pretty much unchanged. Though, splitting the event to both North and South buildings really gave the place some breathing room.

Companies upped their game. Sony's pushing Destiny hard with almost every demo device running Destiny. One area was dedicated to LittleBigPlanet 3 and another for Drive Club. I think the Xbox One area had Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. Huge lineup, though. I might try it out later. Just Dance remains a staple for Ubisoft. Random Assassins Creed: Unity area with a photo op with a French soldier.

They upped their guests game. The big one everyone was talking about was Matt Smith and Arthur Darvill of Doctor Who. This is probably the first time I really looked to buy tickets for a special event. Sold out though.

Cons:

Bottlenecking. Not that it's their fault, but there has to be better ways to lay out their lines to go between buildings.

Snarky volunteers aren't new, but some of them can be real pricks. It personally didn't bother me directly, but some of them really patronize people.

Same food as before. Pizza Pizza really has a monopoly on the place.

Same vendors, same products. I guess this could be a pro for anyone looking to save money and/or stick to panels and events. I couldn't find any Guardians of the Galaxy stuff, since everyone cleaned them out of those. Oh well.

Some questionable decisions on utilizing the exhibition space. Artists alley got shoved over to the big food court area, and lighting in that area is dimmer than the rest of the floor. Not the best spot for them.

Some people really have no respect for others. What makes being outright shoved aside by some fatass in a costume worse is the empty "oh, sorry" after the fact and seeing that person do it again to someone else. It wasn't like they were making an attempt to get out of the way, they were just sticking their hands out and shove people aside. I was close to losing my temper after being shoved continuously by different people, and I don't lose my temper often. I reserve those for special occasions usually.

Creeps. Unavoidable anywhere.

Conclusion:

No regret, but people need a re-education on human decency. Quick ain't impressed with people today.

Sober

Oh that's what all that crazy screaming was about while we were at Mick's? She was 18-19?

Old gaf gonna old gaf I guess.

alienxx45

No regret, but people need a re-education on human decency. Quick ain't impressed with people today.

That goes out the door once people enter a convention/street festival in Toronto. If I see another person wheeling an empty stroller through a crowd im going to kick it over.

soultron

Banned
Going to Fan Expo tomorrow for Artist's Alley stuff.
Hoping I don't get pushed/shoved by creeps, Quick!

My biggest pet peeve still remains cosplayers with gigantic costumes stopping in the middle of aisles because some shitheel asks for a picture.

Quick

Banned
That goes out the door once people enter a convention/street festival in Toronto. If I see another person wheeling an empty stroller through a crowd im going to kick it over.

I don't know why I even bother to be considerate when others don't even bother. Damn.

Going to Fan Expo tomorrow for Artist's Alley stuff.
Hoping I don't get pushed/shoved by creeps, Quick!

My biggest pet peeve still remains cosplayers with gigantic costumes stopping in the middle of aisles because some shitheel asks for a picture.

I'm gonna be paying close attention to Artists Alley. Might I finally meet Soultron?! The question that everyone needs answers to!

There was one costume that was both inconvenient and uncomfortable for the person.

She dressed up as this:

cassandra.jpg

She had her face attached to the centre of this thing, while wheeling it around. Super inconvenient having to wheel shit around on carpet. But I don't think she thought out the costume in general. She has to hunch down and has her face stuck on that thing. Could've adjusted the stand to match her height, OR just dress as something less inconvenient.

alienxx45

They dont really give respect to the Artist's Alley which is arguably one of the more interesting sections of the Expo. I even think they purposely make the aisle smaller compared to the vendor section.

Sweet Ivy

Would anyone take 20 bucks to drive me from downtown to Ikea and back with some furniture? Completely serious here lol.

If it's small stuff or just a couple of pieces you might be better off ordering online.
If you go to the store you're paying 59+t minimum for delivery, but if you order online you could end up with 20ish to pay for delivery (I've just done it).

jokkir

I'm going to try taking pictures of cosplayers again today. I didn't get any yesterday because stupid camera app I need crapped out on me when I needed it most :( I missed out taking pictures of Perfume cosplay though and was really disappointed.

Perfume is this:
EDWpGQn.jpg

Top Bottom