• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

If it's small stuff or just a couple of pieces you might be better off ordering online.
If you go to the store you're paying 59+t minimum for delivery, but if you order online you could end up with 20ish to pay for delivery (I've just done it).

Ya I checked online first. Would cost $90 to ship 2 items to me :(

Magnus

Yeah, the only reason I don't go is the really lackluster gaming section. Once that gets better and is not just mostly Ubisoft, I'll go.

Microsoft, Playstation and WB all have similar or larger sections this year. =/

I honestly also can't agree with the human decency/pushing/shoving complaints. In 13 years I've never had this problem. Just decent, awesome people for the most part who all commiserate with me when it gets a bit crowded. Have I just gotten really lucky?

explodet

Y'all don't know crowds. I'm currently at DragonCon. These guys have taken over four hotels instead of a convention center, and the crowds here are INSANE.

Friendly crowds for the most part, just sheer density. The only gaming booth at the dealer's den is all about Jesus. Which is cool, just not my thing. Definitely more of an older crowd, with a cosplay slant, not so much for gaming.

mr.rager

So I went to the guvernment last night with a buddy. The events here are crazy lol. A good time was had.

That place used to be a lot better. A LOT better.

Also, fuck this heat. I'm melting. So tempted to just jump in my neighbours pool.

:edit:

Has anyone been to a concert at Echo Beach? Going for the first time on the 7th to see A$AP Rocky.

How old are you again? If I was 15 years younger that would have been my Saturday night too!

I'm too old now :(

I just turned 26 in May. Gotta make use of the time I still have!

Didn't seem too bad last night. Place was packed. Mostly came to see the DJs though. An event with MS54, Sick Individuals, New World Sound and Ben Gold in Vancouver would've cost like $60+. Saw the moms and dads that you told me about though LOL.

Also, fuck this heat. I'm melting. So tempted to just jump in my neighbours pool.

:edit:

Has anyone been to a concert at Echo Beach? Going for the first time on the 7th to see A$AP Rocky.

Echo beach is decent, saw the offspring there

Hieberrr

I went to Webster's Falls yesterday in Hamilton and it was fucking awesome. Do we have any other gems like this (doesn't even have to be a nature thing) around Toronto? Cool neighbourhoods? Cool towns? ANYTHING?! I need my "adventure" fix before the summer ends.

Quick

Banned
I went to Webster's Falls yesterday in Hamilton and it was fucking awesome. Do we have any other gems like this (doesn't even have to be a nature thing) around Toronto? Cool neighbourhoods? Cool towns? ANYTHING?! I need my "adventure" fix before the summer ends.

Top 125 Unusual Things to See in Ontario.

I was browsing Indigo and stumbled upon that book. I haven't explored Ontario as much as other places, so seeing that book was an eye-opener on all the cool things in the province that not many people may have heard of.

Quick

Banned
Microsoft, Playstation and WB all have similar or larger sections this year. =/

I honestly also can't agree with the human decency/pushing/shoving complaints. In 13 years I've never had this problem. Just decent, awesome people for the most part who all commiserate with me when it gets a bit crowded. Have I just gotten really lucky?

My complaint on human decency, pushing and shoving are exclusive to this year. I'll agree with you that in the past few times I've been to Fan Expo, it wasn't anything as bad as that, but people seem to have decided against being polite this year.

Earlier, I was shoved to the side by a woman who just stuck her arms out and shoved everyone as hard as she could just so she can make a path for herself. She had her kid with her, but that doesn't excuse her behaviour at all. The rest of the day wasn't so bad, a few shoves here and there, but nothing as violent as that woman.

And concluding this whole human decency issue, I was on the train earlier, and a woman made a huge fuss about not getting a seat. She was saying she was pregnant and she needed to sit down (which is fair), but she wasn't earning any sympathy from everyone with her terrible attitude. I think she was able to find a seat.

I also passed by your booth, but I wasn't sure how to properly introduce myself, since there were a couple of you, and you guys were pre-occupied with other people.

soultron

Banned

Milton, Ontario is my hometown and it's home to tonnes of conservation areas and hiking. If you have a car, it's great to visit places like Rattle Snake Point, Mountsberg Conservation Area, or Glen Eden/Kelso. If you're into hiking or taking photos, it's worth the drive out to spend the day. Lush forest trails, a beach, etc.

Fan Expo was surprisingly not terrible today. My buddy and I went at 10, bought tickets with cash, and were in straight away. For the first few hours, it was easy to walk around Artist's Alley and the regular vendor space. We lined up for a panel on D&D 5E and other than this really abrasive volunteer (slouched on a chair) rudely telling everyone to make the worst lines imaginable, it was great. I think the $40 Sunday ticket and (relatively) lower traffic in the morning is my sweet spot now for future Fan Expos. I'm never doing Saturday ever again.

Milton, Ontario is my hometown and it's home to tonnes of conservation areas and hiking. If you have a car, it's great to visit places like Rattle Snake Point, Mountsberg Conservation Area, or Glen Eden/Kelso. If you're into hiking or taking photos, it's worth the drive out to spend the day. Lush forest trails, a beach, etc.

Fan Expo was surprisingly not terrible today. My buddy and I went at 10, bought tickets with cash, and were in straight away. For the first few hours, it was easy to walk around Artist's Alley and the regular vendor space. We lined up for a panel on D&D 5E and other than this really abrasive volunteer (slouched on a chair) rudely telling everyone to make the worst lines imaginable, it was great. I think the $40 Sunday ticket and (relatively) lower traffic in the morning is my sweet spot now for future Fan Expos. I'm never doing Saturday ever again.

The exclusion of the Sports sections plus extension of the PC section really allowed for a lot more breathing space this year. They always seem to have the Walking Dead panel Sunday morning so that's why the convention was even less dense then usual.

I was a bit disappointed about the Walking Dead panel compared to last year. It started late, there were no fan questions, it ended short, and they immediately left the stage when they finished; whereas last year, besides starting a tad late, everything else was the opposite.

Ended up getting these at Artist Alley...Was not planning to spend that much money, but when I saw the Flash canvas I just had too
OW43jLjl.jpg

Check out the Devil's Punchbowl if you're ever in Hamilton again :D especially after it's rained and cooler.

For the GTA, the Oak Ridges Moraine is beautiful. One of my friend's uploaded pictures of him biking in L'Amoreaux Park (I think) and it was also scenic, probably not "adventurous" though.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
As I told some of you at the meetup; I don't like playing demos/betas. That means the first to quote this post will get a PM with a Mighty Number 9 beta code for Steam.

Quadratic

As I told some of you at the meetup; I don't like playing demos/betas. That means the first to quote this post will get a PM with a Mighty Number 9 beta code for Steam.

Yeah! Glad I woke up early this morning :)

Thanks Fuzzy.

You didn't want to play the beta?

Quadratic

Why Toronto is awesome #37. Went to a bar to pre drink and struck a conversation with the bartender who noticed I was wearing a T-shirt from the fighting game tournament EVOLUTION. Got a free shot of Jameson :)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Why Toronto is awesome #37. Went to a bar to pre drink and struck a conversation with the bartender who noticed I was wearing a T-shirt from the fighting game tournament EVOLUTION. Got a free shot of Jameson :)
How many more free things are you going to get today?

Sweet Ivy

The exclusion of the Sports sections plus extension of the PC section really allowed for a lot more breathing space this year. They always seem to have the Walking Dead panel Sunday morning so that's why the convention was even less dense then usual.

I was a bit disappointed about the Walking Dead panel compared to last year. It started late, there were no fan questions, it ended short, and they immediately left the stage when they finished; whereas last year, besides starting a tad late, everything else was the opposite.

Ended up getting these at Artist Alley...Was not planning to spend that much money, but when I saw the Flash canvas I just had too
OW43jLjl.jpg
Pretty nice, I was so sorry I couldn't go Sunday, but I guess that saved me some cash.
I love artist stuff, I have many Ciruelo pencils, from back when I attended Lucca Comics (and he was pretty much the only artist there, but I've always loved his style!).

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Those Escape Room challenge things have been popping up all over the city. I can't say that I mind though, because I've done a couple and the majority have been pretty fun.

Sweet Ivy

Guys, has anyone ever had their tap water tested by a lab in Toronto?
I want to buy a filtering system, but want to make an informed decision.

Any experience?

Oppo

Any experience?

I just did this with the free city test. You just go to one of the pick up places and get a little kit, which is just a bottle and some instructions. Fill it up and drop it off again. Also there are more locations than it seems at first, you have to dig a bit. I used a Health Canada office in East York.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Any experience?
You really don't need to buy a filtering system for Toronto water. Especially not if you're concerned about safety.

Sweet Ivy

I just did this with the free city test. You just go to one of the pick up places and get a little kit, which is just a bottle and some instructions. Fill it up and drop it off again. Also there are more locations than it seems at first, you have to dig a bit. I used a Health Canada office in East York.
Thanks for the tip, I was under the impression this was for the recent lead problem, but I'll double check.

You really don't need to buy a filtering system for Toronto water. Especially not if you're concerned about safety.
I'm not concerned with safety, more like quality/healthiness.

I don't have a problem admitting I'm an health "fanatic", so I really need numbers to believe: chlorine, fluoride, VOCs and heavy metals, I want to know what I cook my food in.

Top Bottom