• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Hmm

In February 2013, Toronto’s mayor, Rob Ford, was caught on video smoking crack cocaine. Weeks later, he was accused of groping a campaign rival. In March, he was asked to leave a gala for being too intoxicated; in May fired as the coach of a high school football team. The events were part of a stream of Rob Ford “mishaps,” which include DUIs, accusations of domestic violence, and a trial where the Toronto City Council stripped him of his powers.

Through it all, Ford’s former chief of staff, Mark Towhey, stood by his side. Towhey was part of Ford’s inner circle; he’d joined Ford’s mayoral campaign in 2010 and quickly became one of his closest advisors. He responded to media questions regarding Ford’s drug and alcohol additions, his anger management problems, and, of course, the video of Ford smoking crack.

In May 2013, Mark Towhey had a confidential conversation with Ford. It was shortly after the video was made public and also followed rumors of Ford's involvement in the murder of Anthony Smith, who stands beside Ford in the video. Thus far, the public only knows two words from that conversation; Towhey told Ford to “get help.” They also know what happened next, Towhey was fired.

In Uncontrollable: My Life with Mayor Rob Ford, Towhey gives an insider account of working with Ford, covering for him, managing a man who people see as a joke, who trips over himself in videos; who throws candy at children instead of handing it to them; who rants and raves, and gets belligerent in meetings and at private events.

This is a must-read for Canadians voting in the mayoral election, as well as fans of Ford—and his antics—all over the world. It’s an unparalleled tell-all and perhaps what’s most amazing is that Towhey bears no ill will toward the mayor. This is not the account of a man eager to get revenge. It’s simply an up-close look at the mayor—and what goes on behind the scenes.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
who throws candy at children instead of handing it to them

LXq1ixO.gif

I can't stop laughing

Helmholtz

Hey, anyone able to recommend me a bar downtown that's fairly quiet/not extremely busy on a weekday night? Need a place where I can meet some old friends to catch up.

Quadratic

They might as well sell 10 burgers total, shut it down and consider the promotion a success due to "overwhelming demand".

I heard they're giving out wristsbands in the morning. All the burgers will be spoken for.

I think the promotion worked. Even though I have no chance at one we're talking about it. It's been on my twitter feed all day.

Quadratic

I was having a discussion with a coworker why In N Out is so good. Partially the reason for me is the value for the quality. http://www.fastfoodmenuprices.com/in-n-out-prices/

I enjoy getting them when I'm on the west coast. But we do have very good burgers in Toronto. If you're curious The Stockyards on St.Clair does a burger the same style. But it costs 7 dollars vs 2.50 in the US.

EDIT: oops it's actually $14.00 for a double double animal style at the Stockyards...

soultron

Banned
Inflammatory question on purpose? Should Tyson's PR reps have made sure the interviewer would agree not to ask that type of question?

Some people are pretty miffed at the interviewer, apparently.

Divvy

Yes, it would have been much better to have Stephen LeDrew fellate him with softball questions rather than actual journalism.

soultron

Banned
I think it's kind of hilarious. CP24 has, in my experience, always had it out for Ford for the last year or so, as soon as the crack video scandal began. Tyson's PR probably didn't do their research.

Divvy

I think it's kind of hilarious. CP24 has, in my experience, always had it out for Ford for the last year or so, as soon as the crack video scandal began. Tyson's PR probably didn't do their research.

Really? I have the complete opposite opinion, or maybe it's just every time Stephen LeDrew is involved.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Inflammatory question on purpose? Should Tyson's PR reps have made sure the interviewer would agree not to ask that type of question?

Some people are pretty miffed at the interviewer, apparently.
It was a fluff piece not hard hitting investigative journalism meant to get to the truth of the matter.

He is a convicted rapist; nobody denies that, but it was pretty unprofessional to bring that stuff up.

Reminds me of this one interview with Mila Jovovich and the presenters ambushed her with something about her father's money problems or something like that. She slapped the drink off the table and left.

Tyson may not be the greatest person or guest in the world, but he was a guest and shouldn't have gotten that. If they were disgusted with his previous actions, there wasn't anything forcing them to interview him.

Divvy

It was a fluff piece not hard hitting investigative journalism meant to get to the truth of the matter.

He is a convicted rapist; nobody denies that, but it was pretty unprofessional to bring that stuff up.

Reminds me of this one interview with Mila Jovovich and the presenters ambushed her with something about her father's money problems or something like that. She slapped the drink off the table and left.

Tyson may not be the greatest person or guest in the world, but he was a guest and shouldn't have gotten that. If they were disgusted with his previous actions, there wasn't anything forcing them to interview him.

Well the Mila Jovovich thing was shitty because it came out of nowhere. Tyson came to town to promote his show where he talks about the rape and then goes on a publicity stunt endorsing the mayor so it's not exactly out of the blue that that question got asked.

-----

Also a UofT St. George campus professor got stabbed by a student today.

alienxx45

Well the Mila Jovovich thing was shitty because it came out of nowhere. Tyson came to town to promote his show where he talks about the rape and then goes on a publicity stunt endorsing the mayor so it's not exactly out of the blue that that question got asked.

He doesnt really talk about the conviction much in the show but he does loudly claim he didnt do it. So if you were to relate the show with the interview then Nathan Downer calling him a rapist is even more rude and aimed to provoke.

Divvy

He doesnt really talk about the conviction much in the show but he does loudly claim he didnt do it. So if you were to relate the show with the interview then Nathan Downer calling him a rapist is even more rude and aimed to provoke.

It's not really rude to call a convicted rapist a rapist no matter how much he denies it.

alienxx45

It's not really rude to call a convicted rapist a rapist no matter how much he denies it.

The point has never been if he was convicted rapist or not, but if that person is your guest on an afternoon tv fluff piece, promoting a show that within it he claims he did not do it and one of your questions is calling him a rapist. that is just trying to provoke for no reason which is a bad interviewer trait.

Dr.Acula

Banned
The point has never been if he was convicted rapist or not, but if that person is your guest on an afternoon tv fluff piece, promoting a show that within it he claims he did not do it and one of your questions is calling him a rapist. that is just trying to provoke for no reason which is a bad interviewer trait.

All Tyson's camp had to do was say that the question was off the table. If both sides agreed they could have went that direction. Tyson gets asked about it all the time, he should be prepared for it.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

-----

Also a UofT St. George campus professor got stabbed by a student today.
Hmmm might be my former high school classmates brother is the constable investigating.

I wonder if sexual shenanigans happened?

Divvy

This rain is something intense.

This may have been my fault.

I'm watching my parent's dog until Friday and I was just thinking this morning that I was really glad that it hadn't really rained in the last two weeks I've had him.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
This may have been my fault.

I'm watching my parent's dog until Friday and I was just thinking this morning that I was really glad that it hadn't really rained in the last two weeks I've had him.
Now wish for a cold intense summer so that we'll get a day or two of snow and the it'll all go away.

Supposed to be more thunderstorms and possibly rain on the weekend...

Also, I hope you don't get the impression I'm attacking you or anyone else on Tyson; I don't personally care if he deserved it or not. It's just another media circus to me.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Now wish for a cold intense summer so that we'll get a day or two of snow and the it'll all go away.

Supposed to be more thunderstorms and possibly rain on the weekend...

Also, I hope you don't get the impression I'm attacking you or anyone else on Tyson; I don't personally care if he deserved it or not. It's just another media circus to me.

Little known fact, Kuro has the same tattoo as Tyson on his face.

Top Bottom