• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

jokkir

GKHlcEK.jpg

The line at the Apple Store was nuts today and I think that was just to get into the store. There was, what looked like two lines from the left and right of the store and extended to a pretty good lengths down the mall. This was around 7PM too. What I didn't understand is why they didn't just go to Best Buy since there was no line there at all.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Kuro is going to town on Oilers fans in that thread. I don't hate it. :lol
Quick's hatred of the Jets PALES in comparison to my hatred of the Oil.

I used to live there and the place is a cesspool of racist, redneck, shitheads who make money through oil and spend it on drugs and hookers because their city is boring as paint drying on the wall and is as small and filthy as Taylor Hall's jock strap.

I was there for the Gretzky years and the Cups as well, but the team go so pathetic that the papers were reporting on the points the players got, not that the lost. Cause they stunk.

Add to that the stench of failure and years of top picks and 3 number one picks overall and they couldn't even do better than Calgary who lost Iginla and Kipprusoff. Let me repeat that again: THE OILERS RANKED LOWER THAN THE FLAMES WHO LOST THEIR CAPTAIN AND THEIR NUMBER ONE GOALIE!

Oh, and it's Leaf fans that are delusional and living in the past?
LOOOOOOOOOL

dubq

The line at the Apple Store was nuts today and I think that was just to get into the store. There was, what looked like two lines from the left and right of the store and extended to a pretty good lengths down the mall. This was around 7PM too. What I didn't understand is why they didn't just go to Best Buy since there was no line there at all.

There aren't enough #SMH hashtags in the world.

Sober

Apple fanatics usually don't adhere to common sense, just saying.

Hmm. Maybe they wanted an unlocked phone or one that isn't tied to a contract? I think Best Buy is only selling phones with a 2 year agreement

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
If you guys want to punish me, just have Shadowkat do it :D
Well, shadowkat. One "Ball" in your court. ;)

And for fuck's sake, Firehawk! Read up on the whole Balsille backstory before jumping to misinformed conclusions.

Toronto doesn't want another team near it, which is true, but it can't and didn't force the league to cockblock Balsille. Balsille fucked Balsille over by pissing off the other owners and Bettman off. It was really public what he did and there were several informative articles, which went into the whole story.

zroid

Banned
Everyone's going nuts for the hot new phone while here I was last week upgrading my 6 year old phone to a 1 year old phone ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, who cares. Half of the ppl who make fun of apple fanatics stand in line at midnight in the freezing cold for a video game launch.
Only game I ever lined up for was Final Fantasy 3 SNES. Worth it.

I don't get the whole crowd that updates their phone at every iteration. Every year or in some cases 8 months...I know they sell their old phones and don't pay full price, but it still seems a waste

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Eh, who cares. Half of the ppl who make fun of apple fanatics stand in line at midnight in the freezing cold for a video game launch.

I've stood in line for two games so far in my life.

Midnight launch of Skyrim. Showed up at 11:45pm, was out of the place with the game by 12:15.

First time though was for GTA: San Andreas. I don't why but the store I preordered from called everyone up to come get the game at like 9pm the day before it came out. I just finished my shift at the movie theatre at 6pm and the store was in the same mall, so I just hung around for a bit and got it.

zroid

Banned
Hmm, I've only stood in line for 1 console and 2 games. I lined up outside Bay/Dundas Best Buy for the Wii and the StarCraft II Collector's edition, and I lined up at the Markham Future Shop for the Diablo III Collector's edition.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Pabst is actually much better tasting than Bud etc. But I have a serious question about shitty American beer that I have never gotten a satisfactory answer to.

Why do scumbags drink Coors? Every time somebody has gotten wasted in a car and left their beer trash on the sidewalk, it's Coors. Every time I see bottles tossed from moving vehicles (and let's be clear, trucks) it's Coors.

Why?

Coors has almost no alcohol, like Bud and Miller, and it tastes almost like water. It isn't cheaper than other garbage beers. So what's the appeal to racist DUI litterbugs?

Japan and Mexico both do a way better job at drinkable lager-esque cheap beers. ours are pretty embarrassing tbh. And Miller gives me a headache almost immediately, so chock full of chemicals it is.

From the PBR thread. Might be overdoing it a bit there, but damn some people hate Coors.

Sober

Wondering if I should pre-order Smash so it gets mailed to me or I could just walk into any old Walmart/Best Buy/Future Shop and pick it up on the same day instead.

Or get the eShop version instead.

jokkir

Wondering if I should pre-order Smash so it gets mailed to me or I could just walk into any old Walmart/Best Buy/Future Shop and pick it up on the same day instead.

I went into Futureshop to get Pokemon Y when that came out and they still had a lot of copies left. I can see it being the same situation with Smash Bros

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Do you see yourself trading it in the future? Do you always want it on your 3DS?
Can you wait for a possibly cheaper price on the physical copy?
Did you take advantage of that 25% off eshop money deal?

zroid

Banned
It's a good game to have digitally, but I lucked out with that Amazon goof at E3, so I'm getting Smash 3DS for like $27.

soultron

Banned
Because of the account system on the 3DS, I always went for physical copies whenever possible. Plus, Nintendo games tend to hold decent monetary value, so that's another reason to grab a physical copy, I think.

diaspora

I bought the Last of US PS4 bundle today and tried the game out. But I want to return it to BestBuy, will they take it even though I redeemed the code? I don't want to be fucked out of $450 over a $40 game.

Quick

Banned
I bought the Last of US PS4 bundle today and tried the game out. But I want to return it to BestBuy, will they take it even though I redeemed the code? I don't want to be fucked out of $450 over a $40 game.

I don't condone this type of stuff, but you probably don't have to bring it up. If it's brought up, the decision is yours to lie or tell the truth on whether you used the code or not.

Is it a scratch-to-reveal type code, or is it just on a piece of paper?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I don't condone this type of stuff, but you probably don't have to bring it up. If it's brought up, the decision is yours to lie or tell the truth on whether you used the code or not.

Is it a scratch-to-reveal type code, or is it just on a piece of paper?
Likely a scratch to reveal.

diaspora

Likely a scratch to reveal.

Actually, it's just paper/

What code?

Also why are you returning your PS4?

Last of Us. I'm returning it because the game library is a little sad right now. There's better places to spend $450.

edit: to clarify, given what's available now, I could spend $450, plus $50 for PSN, and more for games, or alternatively spend it on platforms I own already which have a lot of overlap with the PS4, I feel like it'd make more sense to do what I did with the PS3, wait 3-4 years and pick it up at $250-300.

Azih

Yeah after last gen where I bought a 360 at launch and had to live through crazy hardware problems and a small library at the start and then both a PS3 four years later and had a stable streamlined revision and a whole whack of cheap games or games I could borrow from friends I've pretty much decided to buy consoles when they're near the end of their lives rather than the start.

Willectro

Banned
Was in Montreal for a several days last week. I got to experience their Metro (TTC equivelent) and holy shit is it ever night and day compared to Toronto. I feel like they haven't attempted to fix all issues with one solution (see: #topoli) and have instead made what seems like 10000 small, but educated decisions. I bought a 3 day pass (paper card, tap to enter subway/bus, can keep in wallet to tap on) for $18 which seemed pretty reasonable.

A few standouts for me were: the wheels on the train (I'm assuming) eliminate the screeching, the trains don't slam the brakes in the stations, the doors open at the second (and sometimes before) the train stops, payment system(s), cleanliness, station layout, plastic seats (no disgusting fabric), and last but not least the overall subway map/system.

I get that Montreal has a smaller population and therefore the capacity issues aren't as much of problem, but I just can't help but think we should be copying many of their ideas, where possible. They aren't reinventing the wheel, but are instead making logical decisions.

If the Scarborough line gets extended as our solution to transit, I think I'll just move.

I get that Montreal has a smaller population and therefore the capacity issues aren't as much of problem, but I just can't help but think we should be copying many of their ideas, where possible. They aren't reinventing the wheel, but are instead making logical decisions.
Fun fact:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_North_American_rapid_transit_systems_by_ridership

Code:
System			Annual Ridership (2013)		Ave. daily weekday boardings (Q4 2013)	System length		Ave. daily boardings per mile (Q4 2013)	Stations	Lines	
Montreal Metro		356,096,000			1,256,200				43 miles (69 km)	29,214					68		4	
Toronto rapid transit	309,490,400			1,007,800				42.4 miles (68.2 km)	23,769					69		4
They're practically identical in size, but Montreal takes in more people.

That is truly bizarre. I've been to Montreal a hundred times and I've never seen the Metro very busy compared to what I see in Toronto.
I'm assuming it's got a lot to do with actual traffic distribution, the numbers take a very averaging rate of ridership per station, but we all know something like Bessarion has like 2 people using it every day.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
The Montreal Metro is so far advanced with how tickets and passes are handled that it's like jumping 50 years into the future compared to the TTC. The coverage of the city is also much much better.

Their trains are dogshit however compared to the ones on the TTC.

Samyy

The Montreal Metro is so far advanced with how tickets and passes are handled that it's like jumping 50 years into the future compared to the TTC. The coverage of the city is also much much better.

Their trains are dogshit however compared to the ones on the TTC.

All stations need to support presto or something

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I'm assuming it's got a lot to do with actual traffic distribution, the numbers take a very averaging rate of ridership per station, but we all know something like Bessarion has like 2 people using it every day.

Those have to be subway numbers only, right?

I can't imagine that with all our streetcars, buses, LRTs, and subways put together in the largest population in Canada that we can't outdo them.

That or we really are super fucking inefficient, which I'm sure accounts for a lot as well.

Top Bottom