• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Quadratic

TTC - get there 15 min early or 45 min late

There's your goddamn slogan!

Signal problems at Broadview this morning, medical problem at Greenwood, another problem at Kennedy station.

The bus I usually take to work just vanished. rocket man had the estimated time jump from 2 mins to 25 this morning. Probably a mechanical failure but it's the first time I've encountered this since using rocket man.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
It took me over an hour to get onto a train. I arrived at the station at 830, got to work at 1030. What a joke.

4 different stations had passenger alerts pulled.

I'd really like a detailed report on how/where/why things broke down today, because it was embarrassing. Signal updates and construction or not, it was stressful and felt like it could've been avoided somehow.
TTC answer would be: JUST CAUSE

I've been forced to use the TTC as my primary means of transportation over the last couple of years (I don't drive and I commute to work), and this is so true.
I miss Asian Internet and public transportation so so much...
The bus I usually take to work just vanished. rocket man had the estimated time jump from 2 mins to 25 this morning. Probably a mechanical failure but it's the first time I've encountered this since using rocket man.
Happens all the fucking time with Rocket Man for me. Phantom goddamn buses.

whitehawk

Banned
It took me 30 minutes to move from greenwood to castle frank this morning. Ridiculous, made me 40 mins late for class. NOW on the way to the ACU event, it took 20 minutes to move from downsview to Wilson station. God dammit.

BTW I'm coming to the ACU event. Meeting a bus there. I'm on the bus heading down since the subway can't be trusted today.

Anyone else going?

Conceptor

I made mention of a Toronto-Age hockey game in the NHL thread, and I'm actually down for all of us to get together and play some hockey.

I was wondering if there's interest in this idea for either the next meetup or a future meetup.

Not everyone skates, but we can either get a good number of people joining up, or we can do a mix of non-skaters and skaters.

And what's a good place to get this going within Toronto?
I'M DOWN

whitehawk

Banned
I made mention of a Toronto-Age hockey game in the NHL thread, and I'm actually down for all of us to get together and play some hockey.

I was wondering if there's interest in this idea for either the next meetup or a future meetup.

Not everyone skates, but we can either get a good number of people joining up, or we can do a mix of non-skaters and skaters.

And what's a good place to get this going within Toronto?
I'm good at skating but terrible at hockey. Should I?

Magnus

Consider this my full, 100%, unabashed endorsement for Choir! Choir! Choir!

Check it out on Facebook. Pub/bar singing in a group of 100. Pop and rock classics. Two awesome dudes who basically double as comedians direct harmonious a Capella arrangements of songs with high, medium and low parts for the crowd to sing. An hour of practicing different parts of the song leads to an amazing finish each time. Crowd sounds great. Best $5 nights I've ever attended. Bar serves drinks.

Both times I've come to this I was having the shittiest day and both times I've emotionally turned upside down and become so happy. It's like exercise or sex. Releases all the happy endorphins. I love that this is a thing.

soultron

Banned
Oh man, that ACU party was the fanciest Ubisoft event I've been to. Food was good, venue was nice, entertainment was classy, and the crowd was more mature than I'm used to.

I feel like I'm missing out on these Ubi events but then again I have a complete and utter indifference for the Assassin Creed games. You play one of them you played them all IMO.

Quick

Banned
I might be seeing things, but I saw a small protest at Yonge-Dundas Square earlier this evening. Did anyone catch what it was about? I saw a guy wearing a Guy Fawkes mask in the group.

soultron

Banned
I feel like I'm missing out on these Ubi events but then again I have a complete and utter indifference for the Assassin Creed games. You play one of them you played them all IMO.

The combat is much more challenging with the removal of counters (parrying and dodging are now important) and the parkour has much more finesse and more granular control now. These 2 core elements make the game exciting and much more enjoyable this time around, IMO.

For these two reasons alone, I'm still excited to play the full game when it comes out, even having played my small part in the game for over a year straight as I worked on it. Before working on ACU, I didn't last more than 4 or 5 hours in each AC game after starting.

Sober

The combat is much more challenging with the removal of counters (parrying and dodging are now important) and the parkour has much more finesse and more granular control now. These 2 core elements make the game exciting and much more enjoyable this time around, IMO.

For these two reasons alone, I'm still excited to play the full game when it comes out, even having played my small part in the game for over a year straight as I worked on it. Before working on ACU, I didn't last more than 4 or 5 hours in each AC game after starting.
This is why I need to play Rogue before I start Unity, otherwise I'll hate myself for going backwards.

Quick

Banned
This is why I need to play Rogue before I start Unity, otherwise I'll hate myself for going backwards.

I was thinking the same thing, but I feel like Ubi's going to release a PS4/Xbone version of Rogue later on. I might wait out for that.

The food is always worthwhile though, my gf was glad she went and she has no idea what assassin's Creed is

mr.rager

Brooo you gotta try Black Flag. So fucking good. I wasn't a fan of AC until I played that one. Really liked the Caribbean setting and playing as a pirate with the whole naval battles, searching for treasure and all that good shit, it really felt like an adventure. Not really liking what I've seen of Unity so far, probably cause of the setting.

I actually hate the parkour now, it feels way too automatic. Except for the combat (which is a lot harder now) everything else seems to be too automatic too (no more manual hidden blade, no jumping ect).

I usually come out of these events wanting to play the game, but not this time around. I'll be returning my E3 pre order.

Also you need to bring that girl you were with to the GAF meetups, she's quite the looker ;)

whitehawk

Banned
Oh man, that ACU party was the fanciest Ubisoft event I've been to. Food was good, venue was nice, entertainment was classy, and the crowd was more mature than I'm used to.
the venue was amazing. The whole event was bigger than last year. Didn't get any food though. Saw people walking around but they never came up to me. Btw was nice chatting with you. too bad other gaffers didnt show though.

soultron

Banned
I actually hate the parkour now, it feels way too automatic. Except for the combat (which is a lot harder now) everything else seems to be too automatic too (no more manual hidden blade, no jumping ect).

I usually come out of these events wanting to play the game, but not this time around. I'll be returning my E3 pre order.

Also you need to bring that girl you were with to the GAF meetups, she's quite the looker ;)
I kind of felt the opposite way you did in regards to parkour in the older games. I felt I often struggled to get to where I *really* wanted to be, sometimes overshooting things. Also, the parkour routes felt too overstated in that you really started to see the hands of level designers telling you where you were supposed to go. (This probably bothers me more since I'm a level designer myself.) Having the option to quickly descend, while maintaining momentum, meant we didn't have to rely as heavily on haystacks/leap of faith to get down from high spots, although we still do use them.

I'm not really arguing with you or trying to sell you on the game though, so please don't get the wrong impression, just having a discussion. ;)

soultron

Banned
That AC event was totally to my taste hahaha, complete with a harpist!

Posted pics to the hashtag on twitter https://twitter.com/sheilareine

Cool shots! I think I was behind you at the bar with my GF getting drinks. Were you wearing a white dress?
the venue was amazing. The whole event was bigger than last year. Didn't get any food though. Saw people walking around but they never came up to me. Btw was nice chatting with you. too bad other gaffers didnt show though.

Yeah man, always good seeing you! Sorry I totally goofed on your first name! I won't forget for next time. Hopefully your buddy Travis (I think that was his name!) emails me so I can give him a written version of the info I dumped on him.

Rinoa

There was food at service stations on the side of the room, they replenished it about halfway through. Same for the hors d'oeuvres, they were being passed around again after a bit.

Cool shots! I think I was behind you at the bar with my GF getting drinks. Were you wearing a white dress?

It was a pink sweater dress with a white/multicoloured crochet jacket thingie, and I had a white fascinator on my head. Been wearing pink to every ass creed event for years now, making it a thing!

whitehawk

Banned
Yeah man, always good seeing you! Sorry I totally goofed on your first name! I won't forget for next time. Hopefully your buddy Travis (I think that was his name!) emails me so I can give him a written version of the info I dumped on him.
Don't worry I goofed too lol I think it's stuck in my noggin now though. For my bud you got the T right (it's Tristan). I'm sure he will email you. He was really appreciative of all the tips you gave him!
There was food at service stations on the side of the room, they replenished it about halfway through. Same for the hors d'oeuvres, they were being passed around again after a bit.
Daaamn. I thought that was just a refilling station for waiters lol.

Rinoa

Don't worry I goofed too lol I think it's stuck in my noggin now though. For my bud you got the T right (it's Tristan). I'm sure he will email you. He was really appreciative of all the tips you gave him!Daaamn. I thought that was just a refilling station for waiters lol.

It was empty for a long white, so I can see why anyone would think that! But the food at those stations weren't the little thingies being handed out. There was a pita something, chow mein and diff meats. I had extra drink tickets and gave em away towards end of night tew haha.

It was empty for a long white, so I can see why anyone would think that! But the food at those stations weren't the little thingies being handed out. There was a pita something, chow mein and diff meats. I had extra drink tickets and gave em away towards end of night tew haha.

Who was supposed to get drink tickets? My GF and I each got one handed to us randomly while we were sitting down eating

TTC - get there 15 min early or 45 min late

There's your goddamn slogan!

Signal problems at Broadview this morning, medical problem at Greenwood, another problem at Kennedy station.
tumblr_l9s0oylfm21qz4w1go1_400.png

The signal system is pretty old by the way

soultron

Banned
Toronto getting same-day delivery on Amazon.ca.

Aw yeah.

I'm trying it out! I ordered something yesterday, as well as another thing this morning, and they're both scheduled to arrive today. It was pricey, but as I argued in the Canadian Gaming Deals thread, I think it's worth it if you need/want an item for the weekend and it's Wednesday or Thursday. Otherwise, regular Prime 2-day will probably do.

Top Bottom