• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Magnus

For rental applications in Toronto:

Are you required to actually disclose exact salary info, length of employment, etc.? I realize that if you aren't, declining to disclose sets you at a disadvantage against other candidates who actually are willing....just wondering.

In a situation where you're applying with a partner, are they going to look at the combined salary/work situation of both parties, or will one partner being lesser seriously negatively impact your rental application? I have to imagine it's pretty normal for one partner in a couple to either not be working or making a lot less. Right?

Anony

For rental applications in Toronto:

Are you required to actually disclose exact salary info, length of employment, etc.? I realize that if you aren't, declining to disclose sets you at a disadvantage against other candidates who actually are willing....just wondering.

In a situation where you're applying with a partner, are they going to look at the combined salary/work situation of both parties, or will one partner being lesser seriously negatively impact your rental application? I have to imagine it's pretty normal for one partner in a couple to either not be working or making a lot less. Right?

if you want the place, yes
the owners would want to know if you have a stable income to pay for rent for the duration of the contract

I did a bit of research on it, and seems like it might even be worth making the trek down to Mississauga to see it in 70mm IMAX. Apparently the IMAX cinemas in Vaughan and North York aren't legit or something.

The trouble is convincing someone to go to Mississauga with me :lol I don't normally have a problem with seeing movies alone but this one is long as hell and the drive will be boring.

Where are you? Scotiabank is an option.

Is it now?

Good for those who are going to see it then. I imagine the Scotiabank theatre imax is still a cluster fuck

Haha, in what way?

I've only been in the city three years now, and IMAX has been pre-assigned seating this whole time. Never had a problem at Scotiabank, but then I usually wait a couple weeks or more after a film releases before I go see it. I'm not used to big city crowds and I'm certainly not used to films ever being sold out (I tried seeing The Grand Budapest Hotel opening weekend up at the Varsity and was turned away; blew my mind), so I don't usually bother with opening weekend.

Haha, fair enough.

But yeah I imagine it's worth the trek for 70mm. The footage in TDKR was incredible. Great sound, too, which is just as big of a draw as the visuals for me. I hit up the Scotiabank IMAX every now and then just for the sound system.

Quick

Banned
I just watched The F Word (advertised as What If in some places), which stars Dan Radcliffe and Zoe Kazan. I really enjoyed the movie, and I think being set in Toronto plays a part in my enjoyment.

I wish we'd get more international movies that are set in Toronto.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I just watched The F Word (advertised as What If in some places), which stars Dan Radcliffe and Zoe Kazan. I really enjoyed the movie, and I think being set in Toronto plays a part in my enjoyment.

I wish we'd get more international movies that are set in Toronto.
Scott Pilgrim not enough for ya?
tumblr_m2hjodUIjy1rs95bro1_500.gif

Welp, thought I fixed my computer, but it turns out that it still has this memory problem. Now it will shut down/crash after some use and try to boot up constantly over and over, again. I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic and it said that there was a hardware problem, but it couldn't finish the diagnostic before it crashed again.

Definitely need to bring it to a shop now, wish me luck guys.

Spl1nter

I meant movies that are set in Toronto, and not just standing in for another city.

But Toronto can be any city! New York, Chicago, Boston, it an American city buffet for movies. Why stick with what you have when you can be anything. Crazy futuristic city of Total Recall, Toronto can be it all.

I also liked Interstellar a lot, I think ice planet was filmed just outside of Toronto. Team winter strikes again.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
But Toronto can be any city! New York, Chicago, Boston, it an American city buffet for movies. Why stick with what you have when you can be anything. Crazy futuristic city of Total Recall, Toronto can be it all.

I also liked Interstellar a lot, I think ice planet was filmed just outside of Toronto. Team winter strikes again.
D:
Bastards!

My whirlwind trip to Toronto is now over, but I did manage to check out "Best Breakfast Place" down in Cabbagetown where my sister lives. That was a good $5 breakfast.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
My whirlwind trip to Toronto is now over, but I did manage to check out "Best Breakfast Place" down in Cabbagetown where my sister lives. That was a good $5 breakfast.
I didn't know there were places that served poutine for breakfast.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Hmm...try Lady Marmalade or Bonjour Brioche in my area (Leslieville) next time. They're both generally crowded, but there are other decent places there as well.

krae_man

I always got a laugh at the Tim Horton's sign in Exit Wounds. DMX and Segal living in Toronto with their bud Tom Arnold.

Edit isn't Big Daddy set in Toronto? Hell Joe Carters home run is a crutial plot point.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I always got a laugh at the Tim Horton's sign in Exit Wounds. DMX and Segal living in Toronto with their bud Tom Arnold.

Edit isn't Big Daddy set in Toronto? Hell Joe Carters home run is a crutial plot point.
It's set in NYC, they just came here for the game.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

I can't remember the movie but it was supposed to take place in Washington DC and
there's a CityTV van that drives by.

soultron

Banned
Does anyone have experience with custom framing? Where are some good spots in town you'd recommend?

I want to frame some of the prints I got from Fan Expo. Some art post cards, some are 8x11, some 8x14.

I also want to frame some digital photos, but that should be easy since I can size those to whatever I need.

krae_man

Does anyone have experience with custom framing? Where are some good spots in town you'd recommend?

I want to frame some of the prints I got from Fan Expo. Some art post cards, some are 8x11, some 8x14.

I also want to frame some digital photos, but that should be easy since I can size those to whatever I need.

Unless you buy off the shelf frames you will pay through the nose. Even with uber stacking coupon day, Michaels custom framing is expensive.

I just do off the shelf on double stacking coupon days.

soultron

Banned
Unless you buy off the shelf frames you will pay through the nose. Even with uber stacking coupon day, Michaels custom framing is expensive.

I just do off the shelf on double stacking coupon days.

I guess the sizes aren't really in need of custom framing, so I think you're right in that grabbing some nice frames DIY'ing it is my best bet.

krae_man

Always Check Michaels website. Frames are often 1/2 off or BOGO. Make sure you wait for the 1/2 off sale if you need an odd number. Sometimes you can stack an extra 10-20% too.

whitehawk

Banned
These... God damn subway delays. We need to install suicide barriers asap.

edit: It took me 2 and a half hours to get home when it usually takes around =/

whitehawk

Banned
what line/stations were affected and when?
I got on Downsview around 6:20ish probably. It was slow because spade > union was closed off. We lost power at one point, the train was silent. Eventually we got to Spadina and I got on the east train. Then I found out that there was an injury at Pape (probably a jumper) and there was no subway from Broadview > Woodbine.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I got on Downsview around 6:20ish probably. It was slow because spade > union was closed off. We lost power at one point, the train was silent. Eventually we got to Spadina and I got on the east train. Then I found out that there was an injury at Pape (probably a jumper) and there was no subway from Broadview > Woodbine.
I dodged a bullet then since I get off at Pape/Donlands and yesterday I got off at 5:50

Top Bottom