• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

You know what makes cold weather even shittier?

When your hot water is busted.

And you find out its busted in the middle of your shower.

Fuck your shit, #teamwinter.

mr.rager

I bought some 3M insulating gloves at H&M. Hope they'll be good enough lol. I saw some North Face gloves that work with touchscreen phones for $45... fuck that.

The gloves from H&M are the shit, they keep my hands nice and warm. Those gloves that work on cellphones are godlike, a very good investment. As for a winter jacket, plenty of em to choose from.

Gangstaaaa as Fuck tier
Parajumpers

Azn from Montreal Tier
Mackage

Korean Tier
The North Face

Generic Azn Tier
Canada Goose

White People Tier
Nobis
Arcteryx

Garbage Bag Tier
Moncler

Did they really name their company Moose Knuckles? tier
Moose Knuckles

Old School Tier
Columbia

CHOOSE WISELY!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
The gloves from H&M are the shit, they keep my hands nice and warm. Those gloves that work on cellphones are godlike, a very good investment. As for a winter jacket, plenty of em to choose from.

Gangstaaaa as Fuck tier
Parajumpers

Azn from Montreal Tier
Mackage

Korean Tier
The North Face

Generic Azn Tier
Canada Goose

White People Tier
Nobis
Arcteryx

Garbage Bag Tier
Moncler

Did they really name their company Moose Knuckles? tier
Moose Knuckles

Old School Tier
Columbia

CHOOSE WISELY!
Rocking it Old School tier.

I hope all you WINTERITES get eaten by an abominable snowman!!!

Windam

Scaley member
I'll be using a paper-thin pea coat from H&M for the winter. Seeing as it's still fall (#TeamWinter), I'm using a paper-thin jacket from Zara that fits much too tight to be a size Medium.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
real men just bundle a bunch of sweaters and a wind breaker

Bah. My brother has been known to go out in short sleeves in the dead of winter. Or just a windbreaker (No sweaters). He was known around our building as the guy who doesn't wear a coat.

My brother is crazy.

Also, I wear mittens. :p

Apathy

5125074778_646a9dbc7e.jpg

Brought to you by #TeamWinter.

The cold hands of death are upon us brothers and sisters

mr.rager

Falling-snowflake.gif
giphy.gif
Falling-snowflake.gif

Why do you like Winter? It's ASS!

Cause it's fucking awesome. There's plenty of reason why winter is amazing. For starters, it's the Holiday season! People are in a jolly and giving mood cause of the holidays, malls/stores are open later and with beautiful decorations and people errwhere! Spending time with family during Christmas, eating delicious food and getting fat, giving and receiving gifts. And that's just one aspect of winter! Can't forget about the beautiful scenery! Trees covered in snow, frozen lakes, snow capped mountains and plenty more! There's also a lot of activities to do which I'll get to later on.

Days are so short!!

Yup, but it's not like you were gonna do anything anyways other than go home and browse GAF amirite?

Oooh sick burn bro!

Not gonna lie, I don't like the short days either but that's just how it is. Blame God/Earth/Whoever.

But it's so fucking cold!!11!1!!!

That's the best part of winter! Yes it can get RIDICULOUSLY cold at times which even some #teamwinter members don't like, but it's just something we have to deal with living in THE CENTRE OF THE UNIVERSE. There are ways to help deal with the cold and make winter a lot more comfortable. Read below!

mr.rager's guide to dressing for Winter.

Look like this guy.

img60348266.jpg

Real talk, proper winter attire from head to toe is needed to stay comfortable! Below are some tips/suggestions to survive our winters and hopefully turn some of you #teamsummer jerks into #teamwinter winners!

HEADGEAR

Keeping your head warm is essential in staying warm. A nice thick toque/beanie is a must. Get a merino wool one if you can. If you're not a fan of those, get a headband or ear muffs. or get a balaclava and be all ninja-like and shit.

Suggestions:

Patagonia, The North Face, Arcteryx

NECKWEAR

Bling Bling yo! For serious, Scarves. A scarf helps keep the heat from escaping. Also looks SWAG AS FUCK when worn right.

Suggestions:

Wool ones from your fave store/brand or whatever you can afford. Again, merino if your budget allows.

JACKET

A nice jacket is a must to survive the harsh winters! Winter jackets come in all types and varieties; wool, parkas, pullovers, bombers, pea coats, down filled etc. A down filled jacket is optimal but not needed. Yes, jackets can get ridiculously expensive but remember that jackets are an investment. You'll be using your jacket for 5 months every year for years. In my honest opinion, spend the extra money for a nice quality jacket. Remember that the type of jacket you wear will dictate what you wear underneath to be comfortable and warm.

Suggestions:

Too many to list. This all comes down to your budget/style. If I have to make a recommendation in terms of best bang for buck go with either of these Columbia jackets.

No Hood Down Jacket for $180

Hooded Down Jacket for $200

If you want to splurge on a jacket, can't go wrong with any of the big name brands.

UPPER INNER

All this depends on what jacket you're wearing. Thin winter jacket? Thermal shirt and long sleeves/sweater/hoodie. Thick jacket? A long sleeve with a tee underneath. So many combinations depending on what you want to wear. Just remember to WEAR LAYERS YO.

Suggestions:

Whatever you like as long as you follow the above.

HANDS

Wear insulating gloves. Keeping your hands (plus your head and feet) warm is key in staying warm.

Suggestions:

Plenty of brands with insulated gloves. H&M probably has the cheapest one.

LOWER

Jeans/Pants are usually enough on most days. Thermals underneath depending on how cold it is.

Suggestions:

Whatever you like.

FOOTWEAR

Proper footwear and socks. For non snowy days, boots are preferable but most types of footwear is good enough to use as long as you wear the right socks. Socks are the most overlooked item in a persons winter attire, no, your cotton socks aren't good enough. Invest in some wool/fleece/merino wool socks. Your feet will thank you. For snowy days, you'll want some boots. Most boots are breathable and waterproof so all you really need are the socks I mentioned. If you buy rubber boots (sorels, hunters) buy a sock liner.

Suggestions:

Sorel, Palladium, Columbia, The North Face, Timberland

Remember that these are just general guidelines to staying warm. Some people have different thresholds when it comes to temperatures and might not need to wear a beanie/scarf/glove combo unless it's -40 out. Mix and match and find out what works for you.

ACTIVITIES

There are various activities only possible during winter, below are some of those activities.

ICE SCULPTING

Only possible during the winter months. Beautiful sculptures crafted out of ice.

SNOWBALL FIGHTS!!!

SNOWBALL FIGHTS!!!!! FUCK YEAH!!!

SNOWBOARDING and SKIING

Tell me that does not look dope as fuck. Only possible during winter. There's Skiing too but it's not as cool as snowboarding. Blue Mountain and Mt St Louis are popular destinations.

SKATING

Who doesn't like going skating? Can't call yourself a Canadian unless you can skate. Great activity to do on dates/random night. You can skate year round indoors but it's mostly seen as a winter thing, popular spots include the super crowded Nathan Phillips Square and Harbourfront. Also, Kim Yuna.

HOCKEY

hockey_canada_640.jpg

Canada's Sport. Another sport you can do year round but is synonymous with winter. Can't mention hockey in Toronto without mentioning these clowns.

Toronto is home to the Toronto Maple Leafs, the team with a fanbase who will gladly pay ridiculous ticket prices year after year despite being shitty year after year. Apparently they're doing good right now but we all know they'll crash and burn come February/March. They'll probably win a Stanley cup in 2̶0̶,̶3̶5̶ 50 years. Maybe.

WINTERLICIOUS

Great food on the cheap! Running from January 30 to February 12 of next year.

ICE FISHING

icefishing.jpg

Haven't gone ice fishing but several of my friends have and they all enjoyed it.

In closing, winter is awesome.

Fuck Winter!

No, Fuck you.

N° 2048

Does anyone know how to get coupons mailed to me?

My girlfriend lives in Ajax and got these amazing Subway coupons (2for1 6-inch subs) that are valid only in Toronto.

I never get coupons so I'm wondering if there's somewhere I have to sign up, I just find it odd that she lives in Ajax and got them but I never do here in Toronto :p

Quick

Banned
Summer009.jpg

Summer? I barely know her!

Summer is great. Winter is not. Recognize.

Days are longer!

Hell yes it is. Browse GAF with the sun out longer. Get that Vitamin D, son.

But why do I need Vitamin D?

Because you're not a commie. Right?

So hot tho

Come on bae. Wear something nice and light. Don't even worry about layers.

Dressing for the summer

Be Generic Asian as fuck

Cotton_Blend_Shorts.jpg

Headgear

Hat the fuck up, promote that atheism like a boss

SpringHatGuide2-598x340.jpg

BJs. Get some BJs.

pMLB2-11543572reg.jpg

BlueJays_BattingPractice_NewEra_1.jpg

Neckwear

If you really want to, you could wear a light scarf.

mens-summer-scarves.jpg

But really, that's just wrong.

Jacket

Trick category. What jacket? We don't need no jacket.

You can probably wear a light hoodie in the summer, too. Why not.

Footwear

Salt on the driveway ruining your shoes? Nah, son. The only salt you'll need is for your food, unless you're Kuro.

mens-flip-flops.jpg

A_Rainbow_Of_Chuck_Taylors__by_sukoto_san.jpg

Best_Quality_New_Balance_Proct_Men_Blue_White_Running_Shoes_1.jpg

clarksbdb_1.jpg

Activities

THE BEACH, SON

toronto-beach.jpg

BEACH VOLLEYBALL

1747362785_1dd493f2a5.jpg

FOOTBALL

bji01880161.jpg

FOOTBALL

8-playing-soccer.jpg

ULTIMATE FRISBEE

Ultimate-Frisbee1.jpg

STREET HOCKEY

Street%20Hockey%20003.jpg

Spectator Sports

Go to the Jays home opener, never attend another game for the rest of the season!

6a00d8341bf8f353ef019affab16c6970d.jpg

Get disappointed by FC.

tfc940.jpg

Watch the Argos!
Haha, just kidding.

crop_19135574959.jpg

Summerlicious

Winterlicious? More like, nope.

PATIOS!

Look at these people not freeze their asses off.

20120529-nervosa-02_jpg_1022x496_q95_up_ctf.jpg

toronto_patio_59742a.jpg

201282-pauperspub.jpg

Fuck Winter

Fuck you, you fucking fuck.

Top Bottom