• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Heard it's easy there.

As someone who only did it a few months ago, check your blind spots often and exaggerate the shit out of it. Hell, wear a Leafs hat so the tester can see you turning your head.

Unless the tester is a Sens fan.

I was so terrified taking my test when I was 18. Someone was stuck in front of us at the DMV pullout, and the driver had me back up this narrow, winding, road with concrete barriers on either side with inches to spare. Always a good way to start a driving test.

Sober

Any real reason to take your G out in the sticks? Sure, maybe not in the metro areas, but is it that bad? (fake edit: Port Union isn't that far but I've heard of people going out to Algonquin to take theirs)

I'm like half a year into my G2 actually and I've had to drive downtown on the roads a few time, plus having to navigate Pacific Mall on weekend evenings ... is it really that bad or are some of the testers just super anal about some things?

Quick

Banned
Thanks, guys. I did my G2 test last year at Port Union, so I feel like I know the place enough, but I still can't shake off the nervousness after failing a couple of times before passing.

Kuro, I thought hats are a no-no? I actually don't own a Leafs hat. :O

I drove to Oakville once. Wasn't terrible, just incredibly long.

Sober, one of my G2 attempts was actually at a farther location at the suggestion of a friend, did not work out for me. And Port Union's my closest Drive Test location.

And lol, I know that feel about navigating through Pacific Mall's parking lot. Fucking terrible place. Probably one of the very few places where I'd be happy just to find ANY spot, regardless of how far from the door it would be.

If you can handle city driving and crazy pedestrians, there's no real reason to venture out to the sticks to get your drivers' license. I did mine at Vic Park - where you use the DVP for your highway portion - and was fine.

Practice and experience will give you the confidence - and hopefully also the competence - you need to pass, wherever you go.

Quick

Banned
I had a few years of driving on the highway, so I think I'm as knowledgeable as I can be about it.

I'm hoping I get the same examiner as last time. All we did was talk. lol.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I had a few years of driving on the highway, so I think I'm as knowledgeable as I can be about it.

I'm hoping I get the same examiner as last time. All we did was talk. lol.
Years on highway? I was on the highway around 10 times and never by myself. You'll be fine.

John Blade

Which remind me.....need to take the G test soon. Fail too many time when I did it in Oakville. Do anyone know a good place to do it that give u a better chance to pass but not so far away?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
If you can handle city driving and crazy pedestrians, there's no real reason to venture out to the sticks to get your drivers' license. I did mine at Vic Park - where you use the DVP for your highway portion - and was fine.

Practice and experience will give you the confidence - and hopefully also the competence - you need to pass, wherever you go.
Yep, me too. I remember my test was right before a big snow storm was coming so they were rushing us through really quick so they wouldn't have to cancel any bookings. It was done in no time and to save time he didn't make me parallel park or even back into the parking space when I was done. :lol

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Any real reason to take your G out in the sticks? Sure, maybe not in the metro areas, but is it that bad? (fake edit: Port Union isn't that far but I've heard of people going out to Algonquin to take theirs)

I'm like half a year into my G2 actually and I've had to drive downtown on the roads a few time, plus having to navigate Pacific Mall on weekend evenings ... is it really that bad or are some of the testers just super anal about some things?

Based on my experience it's mostly testers being super anal about some things and those situations show up more often in denser areas.

Quick, if you've got years of experience driving on the highway you'll be fine.

As everyone else has said, make sure you exaggerate your head movement when you check your blind spots. I got dinged twice for not checking at a railway crossing because the examiner didn't notice my head movement when I looked.

Yep, me too. I remember my test was right before a big snow storm was coming so they were rushing us through really quick so they wouldn't have to cancel any bookings. It was done in no time and to save time he didn't make me parallel park or even back into the parking space when I was done. :lol

Did my G2 exit test after a major storm, myself. My "emergency parking" required a "snowbank judgement" rather than a curb judgement.

Life in Canada, eh.

Quick

Banned
So, is the G test just going from the test centre and right onto the highway, or would I have to do an abbreviated version of the G2 test on top of that or something?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Not sure how much has changed but I did my G test about 8-9 years ago. I remember it was going onto the highway so merging, changing lanes, and coming off the highway then I drove around the area on the regular roads and did things like 3 point turn and parallel parking and what not. Basically a full test.

As everyone said exaggerate looking into all the mirrors.

I also did my G2 at Downsview and then failed the G the first time at Downsview with a ridiculously anal instructor that would yell at any little mistake I did. I got my G the second time going up to Aurora.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I did my tests in Oakville, the worst one in Ontario, failed but got it on the second try. Well third, but my second test was cancelled because some idiot drove into a tractor trailer right outside the driveway of the test centre.

Did my tests in Brampton which is notoriously known as one of the hardest and highest fail rate in Ontario. Didn't have a problem and I barely ever drive. I had driven on the highway maybe a handful of times before taking my G. Not really that hard if you relax and know whats expected.

Didn't have to reverse park at the end (both g2 and g), did parallel park behind a parking cone, 3 point turn and emergency stop on a dead end street, on the highway and off on next exit. On highway again and off on next exit. Back to test center.

VRmY6.jpg

source

Since Django Unchained is out, I've been re-watching some Quentin Tarantino movies and I almost forgot about the funniest thing from Jackie Brown (saw this in the theatre and everyone just cracked up):

awWYK.jpg

and here is the youtube clip

"I've got the money right here in my Raptor bag"

I was reading an interview with him where he explained why he put that line into the movie. Samuel L Jackson was working on some movie in Toronto right when the Raptors first started playing and he went to every game while he was here and became a huge fan after that. It's still hilarious that he asked Tarantino if he could mention them in the movie though.

John Blade

Just got myself a new job position. Going to start tomorrow and hope this position can last for a while. One less stress to worry now in my life. If anyone here need photography stuff, message me.

I took my G test at Victoria Park. Hit a curb but still passed because the tester guy was a laid back skater.

Front and Yonge around 1900:

SqVxn.jpg

Brofield

I definitely got to visit the Community side of GAF more often.

From what I read on the last page thus far,

A) God help you if you take your G test at Port Union, and if you do make sure you do it early in the morning. Failed twice before I finally got it, and both times I had the grouchiest people possible. Took my G test in Oshawa where it's all one way streets, and got it in one shot.

B) I hate this warm weather, not before I get a chance to ski this year. I'm starting to get really scared buying a pair of skis has been a poor investment with the weather being as it is as of late.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Best. Weather. Ever!

15th and 16th will be da bess!

Looks like there's a bit more snow in the forecast about 1 1/2 week from now, but I'm hoping it won't be a huge snowstorm. I don't mind a little snow, just so long as it melts as fast as this snow did.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Great way to start a week I must say:

Giorgio Mammoliti spent more than $12,000 over his 2010 campaign limit: audit

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/01/11/giorgio-mammoliti-spent-more-than-12000-over-his-2010-campaign-limit-audit/

A forensic audit of Councillor Giorgio Mammoliti’s 2010 election books has found his campaign overspent by more than $12,000, an “apparent contravention” of the Municipal Elections Act.

If a prosecution finds the councillor to have contravened the Municipal Elections Act, he could face a fine, be ousted from office and banned from running until the next regular election. Mr. Mammoliti won Ward 7 with 5,338 votes, about 1,700 votes more than his next closest competitor.

We haven't even had a really cold day this winter, but all I hear is complaining from miserable #teamunreasonable. You'd think we were having Winnipeg weather this winter!

Oh man, we've had snow on the ground for a whole week and a half. When will this horrible winter end?!

#teamwarm is the reason why the rest of the country laughs at us.

Top Bottom