• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Anony

osaka is really like tokyo but with less people
kyoto was really interesting to visit, the 'suburbs' (not sure what else to call it) is really cozy, there's actually houses and small front yards with temples inbetween every now and then

can't believe it's 9c out right now, the hell is up with this flux weather, just decide already

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Finally found the perfect winter jacket. A Mackage parka... $1050 :(
So are you #teamwinter cause you get an excuse to sell off an arm and leg? D:

I got a lot of pictures unfortunately with my phone only.

I really liked this area
bCygEDT.jpg

HXtkhGi.jpg

Liberty4all

Banned
Geez. This is why I live downtown in a condo with tight security including elevators that will only take you to your floor by key fob. Its getting to the point that the only nice areas left are downtown, north York (mainly subway corridors), beaches and the uber rich areas like Rosedale.

Otherwise you gotta go way out into the 905. No way I'd live in the neighborhoods I grew up in (Scarborough).

Sch1sm

Geez. This is why I live downtown in a condo with tight security including elevators that will only take you to your floor by key fob. Its getting to the point that the only nice areas left are downtown, north York (mainly subway corridors), beaches and the uber rich areas like Rosedale.

Otherwise you gotta go way out into the 905. No way I'd live in the neighborhoods I grew up in (Scarborough).

Hey! We don't have axes. Just knives... and guns.

So are you #teamwinter cause you get an excuse to sell off an arm and leg? D:

Hey, hey, I never aligned myself to a side yet. I'm not gonna lie though, I'm leaning towards team winter cause I like wearing winter coats lol. We'll see if I change my mind when the real snow storms start........

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, hey, I never aligned myself to a side yet. I'm not gonna lie though, I'm leaning towards team winter cause I like wearing winter coats lol. We'll see if I change my mind when the real snow storms start........
Supposed to be a cold winter this year too. Not ice storm bad hopefully.

alienxx45

Dunno if you've tried Pepper Lunch but if you haven't, you should. It's right under the bridge at Shibuya Station. Soooo good.

If you like Pepper Lunch there is a place in Markham that opened up basically ripping off the same concept and its actually alright. Aka Teppan.

Rinoa

Has anyone ever had stuff coming in (to Toronto) via Canadapost that had tracking show an item processing from Mississauga to London? Not sure if panic or if sauga overloaded.

Quadratic

Has anyone ever had stuff coming in (to Toronto) via Canadapost that had tracking show an item processing from Mississauga to London? Not sure if panic or if sauga overloaded.

I've had Canada Post parcels travel from Mississauga to Concord back to Mississauga. It's probably a sorting error if it's the first time you've seen it. I see a lot of misdirected Canada Post come to my office all the time because we changed locations recently. We're on Ellesmere now and I see mail sent to us addressed to Progress, Midland and Kennedy.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Had a pretty rough day today. It was cold and rainy and my feet and legs were sore as hell. I had also lost my wallet and also my bag but thankfully a Chinese tourist found it and gave it back to me and my friend took my bag when I forgot it.

For food, I went to this neat place at Kyoto Yodobashi Camera that had an all you can batter and deep fry in panko restaurant.

After that though I was exhausted and really achey. I was a bit nervous but I decided to hell with it and went to the public bath. I've been to them in Korea and you'd think it'd be old news to me but was still a bit nervous. It was totally worth it though cause the hot soak got rid of that cold wetness in these old bones and I feel so much better. I did see a poor Japanese dude slip and fall but he got up and seemed ok.

Best part of this trip would have to be today this far with the aquarium, the bamboo forest, another shopping area, an entire section of ramen only restaurants, the all you can batter restaurant and the public bath.

#teamwinter can get frostbite on their noses!

My sister got a Lawrie jersey for her b-day, he had just gotten injured........she wore the jersey to his first game off the DL.......he lasted one inning and out was out for the rest of the season

She's not amused lol

lololol.

Also, has anyone been to Ice Man Video Games? I had never heard of this plays up until a couple of weeks ago and now I have discovered two locations in only a few days. There is one in Kensington Market and one near Queen and Bathurst.

Rinoa

I've had Canada Post parcels travel from Mississauga to Concord back to Mississauga. It's probably a sorting error if it's the first time you've seen it. I see a lot of misdirected Canada Post come to my office all the time because we changed locations recently. We're on Ellesmere now and I see mail sent to us addressed to Progress, Midland and Kennedy.

Damn that's cray, hope it fixes... Thanks for the heads up!

Had a pretty rough day today. It was cold and rainy and my feet and legs were sore as hell. I had also lost my wallet and also my bag but thankfully a Chinese tourist found it and gave it back to me and my friend took my bag when I forgot it.

One of the cool things about Japan is never worrying about getting robbed/pickpocketed, the purse I got there is kinda open (samantha thavasa) and the whole time there nobody stuck their hand in. I don't feel as safe leaving it open in other cities. You can seriously leave your stuff anywhere (bags/coats) and nobody touches it.

Sweet Ivy

Hey guys, anyone been at the Whole Life Expo the past weekend?
It was pretty nice, lots of stalls, lots of local healthy goodies. Stocked on natural/organic handcreams for the winter and kale chips.

You could also talk with the angels, if that's your thing or have your chakras checked. Basically it was divided into three areas: food+cosmetics/body health/spirituality.

All in all really nice layout and diversity.
But no burgers and probably nothing fried either (and no cokes)...

alienxx45

Also, has anyone been to Ice Man Video Games? I had never heard of this plays up until a couple of weeks ago and now I have discovered two locations in only a few days. There is one in Kensington Market and one near Queen and Bathurst.

Kensington is the original location. They also always have a booth at expos/conventions. Great selection of old school stuff but of course comes at a price.

dubq

One of the cool things about Japan is never worrying about getting robbed/pickpocketed, the purse I got there is kinda open (samantha thavasa) and the whole time there nobody stuck their hand in. I don't feel as safe leaving it open in other cities. You can seriously leave your stuff anywhere (bags/coats) and nobody touches it.

Be careful with this line of thinking. I've had shit stolen in Harajuku before. I'm assuming it was by other tourists or non-natives, though.

Rinoa

Be careful with this line of thinking. I've had shit stolen in Harajuku before. I'm assuming it was by other tourists or non-natives, though.

Damn I can see that happening there. When I saw the crowds I instinctively closed my bag up, and I didn't want to walk through all those people in a small space

Boogie

I don't see any "power of the internet" angle here. The article doesn't give any details of how he was found.

See, I find this interesting.

Usually, police get viewed as being the types to "fearmonger" neighbourhoods as places not to live.

But after 7 years on the job, and having worked and spent time in pretty much the shittiest areas of the GTA, I feel like I would feel more comfortable living throughout Toronto than you would, as described here. I definitely don't view things as getting more and more dangerous. We're not in the 2005 "year of the gun" here, folks. Relax.

(also, while in a big picture level, increased condo security is a good thing for the average citizen, the higher level drug dealers and organized crime types know this as well, and gravitate to those sorts of buildings. It is an axiom of the job that condo security is corrupted and will pass along every police contact to any interested criminal subject. Pain in the f-ing ass.)

Quick

Banned
Never had it.
Don't care for sports.
I'm more of a fall, not too warm, not too cold kinda guy.

I don't like you.

You're too neutral.

Do you know who's neutral? Switzerland.

Do you know where Switzerland is? Europe.

Do you know what's in Europe? Visors, Hert-a-whirlin', COMMUNISTS.

ARE YOU A NO-GOOD, HOT-DOGGIN', VISOR-WEARIN', EUROPEEN-BEIN' COMMIE, FRECKLESTEIN?

Should make it for when Smiley's in town. Though I think he's here on weird days.

I'm going to make an attempt to make it to a meetup and would be encouraged further if Smiley were in town for it.

I'd join Team Mackage but those prices...

ZncZhrn.png

even I can't justify them.

I pulled the trigger on a cheap coat. It looks nice. :)

Can I mack?

Windam

Scaley member
I don't like you.

You're too neutral.

Do you know who's neutral? Switzerland.

Do you know where Switzerland is? Europe.

Do you know what's in Europe? Visors, Hert-a-whirlin', COMMUNISTS.

ARE YOU A NO-GOOD, HOT-DOGGIN', VISOR-WEARIN', EUROPEEN-BEIN' COMMIE, FRECKLESTEIN?

I'm going to make an attempt to make it to a meetup and would be encouraged further if Smiley were in town for it.

I pulled the trigger on a cheap coat. It looks nice. :)

Can I mack?

All this talk of Smiley, I'm thinking of Smiley90 from VanGAF/NHL-GAF. And he's Swiss.

Everywhere I look, the jacket style I like (pea coat/top coat) is out of my size or evidently just for style, like the cheapo H&M pea coat I got two years ago that I'm still using. Zara, Armani Exchange, somewhere... pls

Rinoa

I'd join Team Mackage but those prices...

ZncZhrn.png

even I can't justify them.

DWND often has a winter coat sale, can get heads up if on the email list. It helps with dem prices.

All this talk of Smiley, I'm thinking of Smiley90 from VanGAF/NHL-GAF. And he's Swiss.

Everywhere I look, the jacket style I like (pea coat/top coat) is out of my size or evidently just for style, like the cheapo H&M pea coat I got two years ago that I'm still using. Zara, Armani Exchange, somewhere... pls

Burberry has a ton in good fit for that style, dunno if it is warm enough for beyond -10 tho.

East is pretty shit too though. I live several doors down from someone who deals drugs. There are constantly people coming and going all hours of the night, sometimes really loud and obviously drunk and/or high.

I've had to call the cops multiple times because I am always worried about people who might get off the 506 streetcar in front of our apartments (above stores on Gerrard St E) might run into one of those SOBs while they're tweaked the fuck out and yelling at nothing.
You might want to move if your neighbor is a drug dealer, it's probably not safe for you.

North Toronto/Leaside/Davisville is still pretty safe.

Quick

Banned

Burberry has a ton in good fit for that style, dunno if it is warm enough for beyond -10 tho.

I went through a few sizes for my coat before ultimately landing something that fits well enough without being oversized.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

He is talking about him...

Feel kinda sick from the cold. Going to take a hot bath and hope it goes away the last two days I'm here.

I've never heard of the deers in Nara til now but goddamn that was pretty amazing. They can get quite a bit aggressive but it was the experience of a lifetime and it's highly recommended. You can buy cookies for them and they'll come right up to you and you can feed and generally pet them. Like I said, they can be a bit aggressive and I had one nip my clothing and another headbutt me and follow me around. They do have antlers but the dangerous ones generally have those cut down. My friend did get nailed in the balls from one with small horns though...

Also had okonomiyaki and it was friggin fantastic here. Not sure what we're getting tonight but the highlight of the trip so far is Kyoto and Nara.

Top Bottom