• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm not a terrible fan of Scarborough when it comes to the city portions, but there are plenty of good parks. The Bluffs are awesome. I feel similarly about Etobicoke. Lots of suburban neighbourhoods (many being very nice, clean and quiet) which make family living okay, but not really desirable for me to visit. And then the shopping areas for the most part don't really pull me in. That's not strictly those places though. I've no desire to live around say, Yorkdale either.

For me, inside the old city of Toronto, but outside of the downtown core, is perfect. Many nice neighbourhoods, easy access to transit, walk-able and a bit more green than downtown.

Willectro

Banned
Scarborough's fine.

It's the seething inferiority complex in regards to downtown that's the problem here. Such resentment. It gets in the way of progress.

Scarborough is a bunch of property owners who bought low, weathered the storm in less than desirable areas, and now want a subway to further increase their property values. The simple answer is if you want subways you either have to move near kennedy or elsewhere in Toronto. The rest of us, who are paying premiums to live near the subway, get nothing but tax and fare increases to bankroll this shit, meanwhile the existing subways are a complete clusterfuck most days. If I moved to Scarborough, the amount I would save on overhead would allow me to take a helicopter to work each day. This is selfish on the part of the residents of Scarborough who are pushing for this and the politicians who seek their votes, and has nothing to do with improving the TTC as a whole for the majority of existing riders. Pickering should be the ones who are upset - they pay more property tax than Scarborough and get nothing.

If anything, the TTC should be improved downtown and Scarborough can have our fleet of buses. What's next? People in North Bay are going to petition the provincial government for a subway?

Roto13

My husband went recruiting at a couple of Targets today and he said it was amazing how terrible all of the employees were and he didn't try to steal anyone.

But he did say he wouldn't be surprised if their impending unemployment is just souring them all at work.

Anony

My husband went recruiting at a couple of Targets today and he said it was amazing how terrible all of the employees were and he didn't try to steal anyone.

But he did say he wouldn't be surprised if their impending unemployment is just souring them all at work.

what company is he poaching for

explodet

Hmm, I know someone in makeup, but I don't know if they're looking for another job.

I'm personally surprised that all the Target employees haven't stolen everything not nailed down, but they're probably better people than I.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Greenwood Smokehouse
http://greenwoodsmokehouse.com/
673 Danforth Avenue, Toronto, ON M4J 1L3
s1z3pxu.jpg

Went to Greenwood Smokehouse close to Pape station for brunch on Sunday.

Decor - There was a lot of comic-related paraphernalia on the walls, but other than that there wasn't anything particularly notable. It was quite small and we didn't have much space for the food there.

Service - I hope we just caught them in an off time or something, but there was 1 server who also doubled as host and she was hurried constantly from place to place. We did have to ask for water twice and there was quite a bit of wait after we sat down for her to take our order. In addition to assigning seats, taking orders, and bringing out the food, she also made drinks, took care of the bills, and cleaned the tables as well. It wasn't her fault, but they definitely need another person there.

Food - For brunch, you ordered from the brunch menu and added any BBQ extras, so my wife got the BBQ Breakfast and I had the Eggs Benny. We ordered a Caesar, a side of brisket, bacon, and pulled pork as well to try the actual BBQ portion of the restaurant. I liked the Caesar as it came with a bit of a smokey flavour, but I've had better Caesars elsewhere. The BBQ Breakfast and the Eggs Benny were pretty decent; I liked the eggs and the sauce on them along with the hush puppies (first time I've had them). Unfortunately, the BBQ portion of the brunch disappointed. The brisket you can see on the right there was in pieces and tough, the pulled pork was really dry, and the bacon was pretty decent, but who the hell fucks up bacon?!

Price - On the plus side, for all that food we got, it was only about 45 dollars including tips which was reasonable all things considered.

Verdict - Pass on it. I had read a lot of good things about this BBQ joint, but Hogtown Smoke is superior in every way.

IceIpor

I'm surprised. I've had nothing but good experiences with Target employees.

Did he go to the one at Stockyards (St. Clair and Keele)? I remember the employees at that one being very helpful.

Everyone knows that Cloverdale Target is best Target!

... But yeah, everyone is pretty sour and upset still.
The frequently asked questions we're getting aren't helping either. Especially when we barely know anything that is happening now. (When are you closing? When does the LIQUIDATION SALE start?!
WE DON'T KNOW.
)

ahdurian

Everyone knows that Cloverdale Target is best Target!

... But yeah, everyone is pretty sour and upset still.
The frequently asked questions we're getting aren't helping either. Especially when we barely know anything that is happening now. (When are you closing? When does the LIQUIDATION SALE start?!
WE DON'T KNOW.
)

<3 the Cloverdale Target...literally 5minute walk from my house
I'm so sad it's gonna close
even more sad that they apparently aren't getting any Rosalina/Luma Amiibos :( (atleast from what they told me)

Also, anyone have any good recommendations for Winterlicious (that isn't Canoe)?

Quadratic

I once worked down the street from DD. I didn't think their burgers were that good but I did love their fries which were thickly cut and the gravy was house made (at the time).

I'm hoping to move into Toronto in the next 2 years.

Toronto-GAF I'm from Thornhill, please advise what area will make me still feel like I live there but in Toronto. :p
Good sir.

You and I are a 2 minute drive from Steeles, we're practically in the walls of Toronto, we get all the benifits of good traffic flow, and none of the problems (or the crazy house prices)

I need to move downtown, I love how #teamwinter is complaining about the lack of snow! I don't like noisy urban jungle places, but this is a worthy tradeoff. Over here in Richmond Hill there's snow every other day.... there's a snowstorm going on right now :/

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Good sir.

You and I are a 2 minute drive from Steeles, we're practically in the walls of Toronto, we get all the benifits of good traffic flow, and none of the problems (or the crazy house prices)

Only downside is we don't get the benefit of a cheap taxi ride home or being able to hop on the subway and get back home with no real problems. :(

Azih

Yonge and Finch. It's got some of the problems of the suburbs and some of the problems of downtown and very few of the benefits of either!

Or Yonge and Sheppard. Kinda like Yonge and Finch but more expensive.

Source: Lived at Yonge and Finch for 4 years. Am now in Mississauga

¯\(°_o)/¯

zroid

Banned
Stepped out of Costco and suddenly it's a white-out

I wasn't dressed for a blizzard lol, by the time I walked to the car and brushed the snow off the glass, my hoodie was bleached.

Kraftwerk

Poutine....pizza?

Kuro, what insanity is this?

Where to eat poutine pizza in Toronto

20150127-mrmikespizza590-07.jpg

Poutine might be an iconic Canadian dish, but it certainly lends itself well to some monstrous mash ups.

While poutine pizza isn't new (Bannock makes its duck confit poutine pizza a menu staple), it's clearly catching on across the city. In Scarborough you'll find poutine pizza at Mr. Mike's, where the gooey mess is piled atop a plain cheese pizza.

It starts with house made dough slathered with deep red tomato sauce and dressed in shredded cheese. Once the pizza comes out of the oven, fries are applied carefully over the surface then sprinkled with cheese curds and more shredded cheese.

Traditional gravy in a choice of beef, chicken or vegetarian smothers the entire pie, and then it's boxed immediately so that all the components have a chance to melt and mingle together. It really is exactly what it sounds like and perhaps one of the best hangover fighters out there.

http://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2015/01/where_to_eat_poutine_pizza_in_toronto/

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
sorry kave. -17 to -20 this weekend. -24 tomorrow night. good times.

which craft beer fest?

Coors Lite has a beer fest?

edit: Krafty, that looks disgusting as hell. Delicious + delicious should equal more delicious but this city doesn't do poutine particularly well and there aren't a lot of good pizza places here either, so I'd be hesitant to try it besides the fact that my it'd be like a nuclear bomb for the ol beetus.

LMN

Hi Toronto-Gaf, I need a few advice concerning Laptop store.
At first I was planning to buy at Futureshop, however they offer same laptop with same price yet the spec is lower (2gb instead of 4gb graphic card memory, HD is 5400 rpm instead of 7200 rpm).
So right now I'm torn between buying at Canada Computer or NCIX. Since it not a small purchase I wanted to make sure that the store I buy with have good service and warranty in case there is a defect. Which one would you guys recommend? Are there better store out there?
Also, I prefer to buy in store and not online, cause in case there is really a defect I don't want to through the hassle of shipping back and forth.
Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestion.

Top Bottom