• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Tonight is what being a Toronto sports fan is all about, amiright guys?

nojWx.gif

Biff

I voted for Ford and I am still happy with my choice. #dealwithit #opparobfordstyle

No matter what you say about the man's character, he's gotten shit done. He's pissed countless people off, but in the process he's successfully negotiated with many unions (often brutally... He's by far the toughest mayor we've had on unions, which I applaud), designated the TTC as an essential service (banning future strikes that grind our city to a halt while the TTC holds us hostage), got Toronto to a fiscal surplus in 2011, and in 2012 has made tough, unpopular cuts (e.g. zoos and libraries, lol) to redirect cash flow into more essential services.

He is the most capitalist mayor we've seen in a while, and that's not a bad thing at all. He is the antithesis of David Miller. It's good to have some righties to balance out the lefts. The next mayor will be left-leaning, I can all but guarantee you that... Deal with it until then.

*gives the one finger salute as I drive recklessly into the sunset while talking on my cellphone*

Willectro

Banned
What does that have to do with anything? Care to respond to points either of us made? I still want to know why my points are arbitrary in your mind. Because I didn't vote for him? Hilarious.

If you didn't originally vote for him, then of course you want him out.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
If you didn't originally vote for him, then of course you want him out.

So, do you find yourself incapable of criticizing him because you voted him in? Because I find myself able to criticize doofus politicians I regret voting for, and praise those I was wrong about. Of course, Ford has done nothing to earn praise.

You're useless to even talk to regarding city issues, especially anything concerning Ford, because you constantly evade any real conversation.

I voted for Ford and I am still happy with my choice. #dealwithit #opparobfordstyle

No matter what you say about the man's character, he's gotten shit done. He's pissed countless people off, but in the process he's successfully negotiated with many unions (often brutally... He's by far the toughest mayor we've had on unions, which I applaud), designated the TTC as an essential service (banning future strikes that grind our city to a halt while the TTC holds us hostage), got Toronto to a fiscal surplus in 2011, and in 2012 has made tough, unpopular cuts (e.g. zoos and libraries, lol) to redirect cash flow into more essential services.

He is the most capitalist mayor we've seen in a while, and that's not a bad thing at all. He is the antithesis of David Miller. It's good to have some righties to balance out the lefts. The next mayor will be left-leaning, I can all but guarantee you that... Deal with it until then.

*gives the one finger salute as I drive recklessly into the sunset while talking on my cellphone*

Yes, those 2011 budget meetings were amazing. Keeping people there until 4am, waiting to speak and then sicking Mammoliti on them every once in a while to keep order. Of course, there were few cuts made compared to the threats that were made, but did you actually forget that? It's was a beautiful scare tactic though and had to be done after chanting gravy, gravy, all the way to city hall. Paying KPMH millions for a study showing non-existent 'gravy' was a great move in his early time as Mayor.

We can all be glad the TTC is an essential service, because it'll end up costing us far more when they sit down at the bargaining table, right? What other union matters has Ford handled well? Outsourcing garbage for half the city to a company that stumbled out of the blocks, leaving garbage on sidewalks for a week? Or maybe how he so easily caved to TPS when they said they weren't moving at all on their budget and were in fact increasing it. Man, what a tough Mayor on unions!

Of course, because he was such an ass with the way he handled meetings and addressed councillors, he ending up losing majority support of the council and losing any hope he had for his transit vision. He was so likeable that most of his inner circle bailed on him as soon as he was in court.

At least he'll always have his victory with the Jarvis bicycle lanes. Sure it created more gravy ripping them out, but that's just our Capitalist Mayor Ford. Bravo.

Biff

Yes, those 2011 budget meetings were amazing. Keeping people there until 4am, waiting to speak and then sicking Mammoliti on them every once in a while to keep order. Of course, there were few cuts made compared to the threats that were made, but did you actually forget that? It's was a beautiful scare tactic though and had to be done after chanting gravy, gravy, all the way to city hall. Paying KPMH millions for a study showing non-existent 'gravy' was a great move in his early time as Mayor.

We can all be glad the TTC is an essential service, because it'll end up costing us far more when they sit down at the bargaining table, right? What other union matters has Ford handled well? Outsourcing garbage for half the city to a company that stumbled out of the blocks, leaving garbage on sidewalks for a week? Or maybe how he so easily caved to TPS when they said they weren't moving at all on their budget and were in fact increasing it. Man, what a tough Mayor on unions!

Of course, because he was such an ass with the way he handled meetings and addressed councillors, he ending up losing majority support of the council and losing any hope he had for his transit vision. He was so likeable that most of his inner circle bailed on him as soon as he was in court.

At least he'll always have his victory with the Jarvis bicycle lanes. Sure it created more gravy ripping them out, but that's just our Capitalist Mayor Ford. Bravo.

Um, I think you're angry about people staying up until 4am or something. I'm not sure, so I'm just going to respond to the only thing that can be responded to in your post, i.e. union matters.

CUPE416 gave up a huge consideration on their part to get a deal done with King Ford. They used to have guaranteed pay for a job once they served more than 10 years. Through negotiations, they conceded an increase to 15 years. LOL I have know idea how Ford got that done, but that's a huge win for tax payers.

Did you know that until King Ford, paramedics weren't considered an essential service? Think about that. Paramedics threatened to strike with King Ford brought up the idea of making them an essential service. Well, in the end they didn't strike and they are now an essential service, forever ensuring they will never be able to strike, and that future negotiations will go straight to arbitration instead of dealing with empty strike threats.

Other negotiations that ended without strikes: inside workers, parks & rec

The only negotiations that resulted in a strike was librarians. Those pesky librarians! Still sour about the Internet I'm guessing. They resolved their negotiation a week later.

P.S. here's a picture of Rob with a hat on
tumblr_mh78voBBVp1qzikspo1_1280.jpg

CUPE416 gave up a huge consideration on their part to get a deal done with King Ford. They used to have guaranteed pay for a job once they served more than 10 years. Through negotiations, they conceded an increase to 15 years. LOL I have know idea how Ford got that done, but that's a huge win for tax payers.

Did you know that until King Ford, paramedics weren't considered an essential service? Think about that. Paramedics threatened to strike with King Ford brought up the idea of making them an essential service. Well, in the end they didn't strike and they are now an essential service, forever ensuring they will never be able to strike, and that future negotiations will go straight to arbitration instead of dealing with empty strike threats.

Credit where it's due, good for Ford for pushing those initiatives. But he didn't get there alone, and considering paramedics an essential service, as well as working more emphatically to "win" or at least garner more favourable settlements with unions is something the entire right wing of council - and most centrists, to be honest - has been talking about for 10 years. It's not surprising to me that it happened, but he gets to take credit because he's the face of those decisions.

I'm also rather a fan of his privatizing waste collection. Once the bumps are worked out, it'll save the city a lot of money, and I'm glad to see he's done it.

On the other hand: In his term we've also seen the TTC become an essential service. Unlike other Union negotiations, this will end up hurting the city - they are arguably Toronto's most powerful union, and though they can no longer hold the city hostage by striking, they most certainly have an elevated bargaining position on account of their recognition by the city - and the province - of being integral to the city's running. In an era where we should be eliminating the position of token dispenser in favour of a fully automated system, we've basically guaranteed $80,000 salaries to people who, let's face it, make change for a living. (Drivers make more, and IMO so they should. But fare collectors should not be a human position given available technologies and current TTC operating budget shortfalls.)

He's also failed to unite the city - his failure to show up for Pride events, which aside from their cultural/social significance have a huge economic impact in Toronto, left many feeling alienated and as though their mayor did not represent them. He claims that the city took out a war on the car, and instead of dealing with congestion he opted to remove bike lanes where he didn't like them. In the midst of a long-term operating budget shortfall for infrastructure, he advocated for subways - and nothing else, and to hell with those who disagreed with him. He took out a war against the Toronto Star; and, whatever the Star's role in the war, a politician who wants to be portrayed in a favourable light needs to give up the grudge and play ball. He's happy to have the left considered pinko commies who would ruin the city. Well, look, Miller was in power for a fair amount of time, and like it or lump it (and there's a fair bit to lump), the city was still standing when Ford inherited it.

Being Left or Liberal (or whathaveyou on that side of the spectrum) shouldn't be a dirty word. Valuing progressivism, environmental issues, and social cohesion shouldn't warrant being treated like you're a second-class citizen in your own city.

And that's where, I expect, Ford will never win the hearts and minds of those who currently disagree with him. He's always been happy to take the calls of his constituents - to a greater degree, arguably, than he should. But you disagree with him? He doesn't want to hear it.

Willectro

Banned
Credit where it's due, good for Ford for pushing those initiatives. But he didn't get there alone, and considering paramedics an essential service, as well as working more emphatically to "win" or at least garner more favourable settlements with unions is something the entire right wing of council - and most centrists, to be honest - has been talking about for 10 years. It's not surprising to me that it happened, but he gets to take credit because he's the face of those decisions.

I'm also rather a fan of his privatizing waste collection. Once the bumps are worked out, it'll save the city a lot of money, and I'm glad to see he's done it.

On the other hand: In his term we've also seen the TTC become an essential service. Unlike other Union negotiations, this will end up hurting the city - they are arguably Toronto's most powerful union, and though they can no longer hold the city hostage by striking, they most certainly have an elevated bargaining position on account of their recognition by the city - and the province - of being integral to the city's running. In an era where we should be eliminating the position of token dispenser in favour of a fully automated system, we've basically guaranteed $80,000 salaries to people who, let's face it, make change for a living. (Drivers make more, and IMO so they should. But fare collectors should not be a human position given available technologies and current TTC operating budget shortfalls.)

He's also failed to unite the city - his failure to show up for Pride events, which aside from their cultural/social significance have a huge economic impact in Toronto, left many feeling alienated and as though their mayor did not represent them. He claims that the city took out a war on the car, and instead of dealing with congestion he opted to remove bike lanes where he didn't like them. In the midst of a long-term operating budget shortfall for infrastructure, he advocated for subways - and nothing else, and to hell with those who disagreed with him. He took out a war against the Toronto Star; and, whatever the Star's role in the war, a politician who wants to be portrayed in a favourable light needs to give up the grudge and play ball. He's happy to have the left considered pinko commies who would ruin the city. Well, look, Miller was in power for a fair amount of time, and like it or lump it (and there's a fair bit to lump), the city was still standing when Ford inherited it.

Being Left or Liberal (or whathaveyou on that side of the spectrum) shouldn't be a dirty word. Valuing progressivism, environmental issues, and social cohesion shouldn't warrant being treated like you're a second-class citizen in your own city.

And that's where, I expect, Ford will never win the hearts and minds of those who currently disagree with him. He's always been happy to take the calls of his constituents - to a greater degree, arguably, than he should. But you disagree with him? He doesn't want to hear it.

So he doesn't please everyone... In a city as diverse as Toronto, in so many ways, how does a mayor make everyone happy?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
You show up and do your job, instead of begging off for a cottage vacation that you could easily have postponed until the following weekend.
I don't have a problem with him not moving his vacation weekend since it's on the long weekend but him ignoring things at City Hall during the week when he's there is a problem. I was surprised when he did show up for that one event last year after he declined the invitation. He has no problem leaving City Hall to go coach but him showing up to an event there is like pulling teeth.

His showing up for the lesser-publicized event after declining the whole invitation did not strike me as genuine. It came across as an "are you happy now?!?" gesture.

Devoting yourself to public service is not like any other job, where your evenings, weekends, and holidays belong to you (and your family) alone. When there's something going on that is important for your city, and is critical to demonstrating to the 2.6 million people who you represent that you will be there for them, you had damn well better show up.

However noble your other pursuits (and volunteering to coach football would count), it cannot trump showing up and doing what you have been elected - and what you nominated yourself - to do.

Fuzzy

Fuck people who don't know how to drive in the winter. Once I got to the 401 and heard that two lanes of the DVP were blocked south of Lawrence I turned around and came home because I know it'll be even worse in the afternoon and I don't need one of these asshats hitting me.

scogoth

Fuck people who don't know how to drive in the winter. Once I got to the 401 and heard that two lanes of the DVP were blocked south of Lawrence I turned around and came home because I know it'll be even worse in the afternoon and I don't need one of these asshats hitting me.

I still don't get why people think they can get away with "all-season" tires. It's Canada, it snows, suck it up and by snow tires!

Fuzzy

I still don't get why people think they can get away with "all-season" tires. It's Canada, it snows, suck it up and by snow tires!
I was behind one guy this morning that was snaking down the road with his shitty tires while I stayed away from him going straight. Some people are so stupid.

whitehawk

Banned
awesome.

gonna get weird around here soon folks, temp is going up bigtime, I expect candy-shell ice forming over the snow that fell last night, then fog, then cold mush flowing everywhere by wednesday when it gets into plus double digits... woooo
Awesome? That looks disgusting.

Varshes

I guess I'll post this in here too:

Some EB stores in the GTA got early shipments of Fire Emblem today and are selling them!

Mr. F

Banned
Man, the TTC is one complex system. I still get confused at how the trains arrive and leave at Downsview
KuGsj.gif

Same, without fail any time I decide to stand by a door pulling into Downsview the platform will always be on the opposite side of the train.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Update from the PM last night; It's available at every EBgames in the GTA. Not sure other stores are releasing it prior to the 4th yet.

Yeah I got mine today! Along with a new Red XL since it's 40 dollars off this week. Time to sell my old 3ds.

whitehawk

Banned
I've finally jumped into the smart phone life! Just ordered a Nexus 4. Now I need a data plan. I guess Wind just got another customer.

Man, the TTC is one complex system. I still get confused at how the trains arrive and leave at Downsview
KuGsj.gif
It's always alternating platforms, even if both of them are empty (exception is when it actually goes out of service (towards the switch further north). If you're on the train, you pretty much have to wait till it's at the last crossover switch to know.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
My inlaws refuse to switch their internet over from Rogers because they have a bundle plan that saves them almost nothing. They have to stop using their internet at the end of every month for a week, because they reach their 25gb cap. Rather than pay the $15 more for a Teksavvy 300gb cap, where they would never have to worry about the cap again and would have improved service, they just keep on trucking along. Quite sad, actually. They can easily afford to do it.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
My inlaws refuse to switch their internet over from Rogers because they have a bundle plan that saves them almost nothing. They have to stop using their internet at the end of every month for a week, because they reach their 25gb cap. Rather than pay the $15 more for a Teksavvy 300gb cap, where they would never have to worry about the cap again and would have improved service, they just keep on trucking along. Quite sad, actually. They can easily afford to do it.
Dem Asian parents....stubborn to a fault.

Took my mom a loooooooooooooong time to get rid of land line and cable tv too.

Top Bottom