• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member

It could always be worse.

2472309492.png

Brinbe

Looks like Markham might be getting their 21st-century Copps Coliseum after all!
Markham city council backs financing plan for NHL-size arena

The $325-million Markham, Ont., arena project promoted by Graeme Roustan is still alive.

Roustan, the former chairman of Bauer Performance Sports, saw the financing plan for a second NHL-size arena for the Greater Toronto Area, which is financially backed by developer Rudy Bratty, survive by a 7-6 margin in a vote by Markham city council. The vote came close to 3 a.m. Wednesday as the council meeting neared the eight-hour mark.

The financial plan would see Markham borrow the $325-million cost of the arena with the private partners covering half of that. The city would then pay back its $162.5-million share through a “voluntary” levy on developers’ new housing projects, parking revenue and surcharges on event tickets. But there is no guarantee the city will not be responsible for any losses...

Opponents of the financing plan said taxpayers’ money should not be used to finance an arena that will enrich private investors if an NHL team is landed. “Let those who will benefit most pay for it,” said Markham resident Bil Trainor.

Ever since he started promoting this project, Roustan has been careful to say the arena can be successful without an NHL team despite evidence to the contrary. He has also said he and Bratty are not chasing a team. But that position evaporated quickly Tuesday night when former NHL Players’ Association executive director Paul Kelly stepped forward to speak to council.

He acknowledged he was there on behalf of Roustan, although he said he was not being paid. All Kelly spoke about was the chance of landing an NHL team and he warned the Markham politicians “if you don’t seize this opportunity to have an NHL team you will likely not get it again.”

Kelly said something publicly that has long been said by many NHL governors behind the scenes: “From the moment I became executive director of the NHL Players’ Association I heard of the long-term vision of the National Hockey League to expand from the present 30 to 32 teams.” His implication was those two additional teams could be in the Greater Toronto Area and Quebec City.

Kelly’s statements are certain to create a lot of discussion in those cities, not to mention NHL circles, because of his implication the expansion plans are an official NHL policy. However, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has long been careful to keep such talk out of the minutes of governors’ meetings and dismiss it as speculation.

In conclusion, Kelly said, “If you build it, they will come,” referring to the NHL. However, he failed to mention Hamilton, which sits 100 kilometres southwest of Markham, built Copps Coliseum in 1985 in hopes of attracting an NHL team only to be spurned by the league. But more than one opponent told council Hamilton is still paying to operate Copps.

Councillor Colin Campbell noted Hamilton pays more than $3-million per year in subsidies to the Coliseum. He also said he was told the NHL will put teams in Seattle and Quebec City long before a second team is placed in the GTA.

So, let's pay for something we don't need, for a team that doesn't (and may never) exist, for a city that doesn't fucking want it. Brilliant job, Markham.

There's nothing wrong with NHL-GAF...unless you have a problem with full frontal male nudity.

I absolutely love naked men. Everyone knows that.

I guess I just know more about soccer even though I really like hockey. So I felt like I had nothing to contribute. Maybe I'll just provide comic relief.

photo tra-la-la

8f6aC4G.jpg

source

daemonic

Banned
Another thumbs up for Teksavvy. Too bad they were a major headache to deal with when I moved last month. The coordination with Rogers is simply abysmal and the communication between their own departments is hit or miss. Customer support is super friendly but they gave me a different story each time I called, which caused a ton of delays to get my service up and running.
2474567007.png

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Raptors with some big changes. Ed Davis and Calderon's expiring contract moved for Rudy Gay. That's a lot of shots for DeRozan and Gay now at pretty low percentages, with no one on the team that's at all threatening in the post. This team will be hilarious to watch though if Lowry gets hurt without Jose to play heavy minutes now.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Raptors with some big changes. Ed Davis and Calderon's expiring contract moved for Rudy Gay. That's a lot of shots for DeRozan and Gay now at pretty low percentages, with no one on the team that's at all threatening in the post. This team will be hilarious to watch though if Lowry gets hurt without Jose to play heavy minutes now.

Tank so hard next year for Andrew Wiggins.

That is my dream.

Stet

Banned
you getting the highest tier of cable? I got the highest tier with 300gb cap

edit: i love how i started this posting of speedtest.net pics. COMPARE OUR E-PEENS!

Nah, I'm on 16 mbps DSL. I would love to switch to cable, but I think the activation fee would be more than it's worth.

krae_man

I've finally jumped into the smart phone life! Just ordered a Nexus 4. Now I need a data plan. I guess Wind just got another customer.

Wind Data won't be amazing, but $30/month for unlimited talk text and data is a hell of a lot better then anyone else is offering(well except for Mobi)

Teksavvy still doesn't offer fast enough for me.

You're also paying what $100/month for that?

For the people getting 45mbps from Teksavvy, are you on the top plan? I'm on the 18mbps plan and and that's what I normally get. Sometimes I get around 30mbps.

Anth0ny

colangelo is so fucking dumb

tank for wiggins you idiot

he's our lebron

rYNxkIN.png

look at those 02-03 cavs. that right there is some mighty fine tanking. mighty fine.

*tear*

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
You guys are not understanding how terrible our team is going to be shooting wise. Lowry is going to be hurt half the time, which means extended minutes for John Lucas III. There are better players in the D League right now than Lucas. No 1st round pick this year, so we won't improve there and no FAs will sign here. Rudy Gay is basically a rich man's DeRozan, and they both have terrible shooting percentages, both shrink under pressure and they love to jack up a lot of shots. Don't forget we'll be giving Landry Fields, a player who sets offensive basketball back decades, lots of playing time. And of course, we have Bargs coming back so we can go into ultimate tank mode. We're all set to be an 8 win team next season. If it comes down to it, we'll trade Amir Johnson and Lowry for a washed up Euro player, just to be safe.

BC to go all out for the 8th seed next year, keep his job for another decade and continue to do nothing positive.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Wind Data won't be amazing, but $30/month for unlimited talk text and data is a hell of a lot better then anyone else is offering(well except for Mobi)

For the people getting 45mbps from Teksavvy, are you on the top plan? I'm on the 18mbps plan and and that's what I normally get. Sometimes I get around 30mbps.
Yes top tier with 300gb cap. I doubt I will teach it.

Also happy to report my mother was streaming, my wife was streaming, and I was streaming radio and there was only one small hiccup when I was playing tf2.

Hieberrr

You guys are not understanding how terrible our team is going to be shooting wise. Lowry is going to be hurt half the time, which means extended minutes for John Lucas III. There are better players in the D League right now than Lucas. No 1st round pick this year, so we won't improve there and no FAs will sign here. Rudy Gay is basically a rich man's DeRozan, and they both have terrible shooting percentages, both shrink under pressure and they love to jack up a lot of shots. Don't forget we'll be giving Landry Fields, a player who sets offensive basketball back decades, lots of playing time. And of course, we have Bargs coming back so we can go into ultimate tank mode. We're all set to be an 8 win team next season. If it comes down to it, we'll trade Amir Johnson and Lowry for a washed up Euro player, just to be safe.

BC to go all out for the 8th seed next year, keep his job for another decade and continue to do nothing positive.

Bargs... so much promise, so little... everything. What a complete waste. That and I cannot believe we drafted Arujo back in the day LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Bargs... so much promise, so little... everything. What a complete waste. That and I cannot believe we drafted Arujo back in the day LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

i1OwxwUEqmXng.jpg

Yeah, at least Bargs had some sort of talent. Too bad it's gone by now. The guy is a complete waste, even on offense at this point. He'll be better served when he's a 7th man off someone's bench receiving 15 minutes per game.

scogoth

Yep that's 100 a month, for 120 a month you get 150 down 150 up but only for select areas.

Farooq

Banned
You guys are fucking lucky.

I moved to a new development. Apparently Teksavvy does not have access to this area.
I am stuck with Rogers and Bell, which is ridiculous. Have to deal with low caps, and price gouging.

I moved less than a kilometer from my old location too, receiving perfect service from Teksavvy.

Prax

I am pretty sure I am on the Cable 18 plan, so getting these extra boosted speeds is great for just paying around $40ish a month. I've been with them for years and their customer service has always been great (even if there have been hiccups on the Rogers end.. ). Unfortunately, I've been running into router troubles lately (I think).
I am also a Wind customer. Nothing but the reasonably best for reasonably cheap for me! XD

Good luck getting Teksavvy support on the phone. Their call center is seriously under staffed. Thankfully I've only ever had to call them maybe two or three times in the almost two years I've been with them. Once you get someone on the phone then they're good.

I'll give credit to Rogers though too when it comes to customer service over the phone they actually have the best of the big three. Maybe thats not saying much though. Bell is the worst good luck getting someone who speaks English.

I wish I got a docsis 3 instead of the 2 when I signed up. But I always get around high teens mb/s and always more than the package level your paying for.

Looking at their internet packages on the site makes no sense. They have the cable 28 pack (28down, 1 up) for $46.95 and then the pro 16 (16down, 1up) for $49.99. Am I missing something here? Both 300gb cap.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Good luck getting Teksavvy support on the phone. Their call center is seriously under staffed. Thankfully I've only ever had to call them maybe two or three times in the almost two years I've been with them. Once you get someone on the phone then they're good.
Not true. I've had to make numerous calls this month and it has been around 5 min or less and they give you the option to have them call you back.

Okay, so Im with rogers, I have an extreme account which is 120GB. Somehow over the course of the month, Im 75GB over. I dont understand how this happened as Im barely at home, dont stream, play games online a lot, and only watch YouTube at home occasionally. So this is pretty clearly my siblings' fault!

So Ive been thinking that I should switch to teksavvy, but I dont know how simple this process is as Ive got internet, phone and tv under one package with rogers I think. Or at least what my dad says. So my question is, how simple is this transfer? Is it an all or nothing thing, I have to get their cable package too? I think I want the one thats $52 or try the unlimited.

I dont know what Im doing. I am stupid, ISPs, how do they work?!?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I came close to cancelling my season tickets for the Raps after this trade but decided against it. More because I'm a basketball fan first and foremost.

Either way though on a somewhat plus BC at least admitted to Bargnani may get moved. I still want his ass fired don't get me wrong but he can at least do that and stop sabotaging basketball in Canada.

Azih

I came close to cancelling my season tickets for the Raps after this trade but decided against it. More because I'm a basketball fan first and foremost.

Either way though on a somewhat plus BC at least admitted to Bargnani may get moved. I still want his ass fired don't get me wrong but he can at least do that and stop sabotaging basketball in Canada.

I for one am done. Trading away one of the best PGs in the league and an incredibly promising Davis for a wing when we're already overloaded with them (who gets screwed in minutes now? DeRozan who we're overpaying or Ross the rookie who desperately needs minutes to develop? FML) . Screw the Raptors, screw Coangelo. I hope Calderon wins a ring somewhere and I hope Ed Davis continues to progress and becomes an elite PF.

And I hope both of them go crazy and whip the Raptors whenever they play them.

Bargniani still hasn't been dumped? SMH.

Edit: Other trades before the deadline might mollify me. But Calderon?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I for one am done. Trading away one of the best PGs in the league and an incredibly promising Davis for a wing when we're already overloaded with them (who gets screwed in minutes now? DeRozan who we're overpaying or Ross the rookie who desperately needs minutes to develop? FML) . Screw the Raptors, screw Coangelo. I hope Calderon wins a ring somewhere and I hope Ed Davis continues to progress and becomes an elite PF.

And I hope both of them go crazy and whip the Raptors whenever they play them.

Bargniani still hasn't been dumped? SMH.

Edit: Other trades before the deadline might mollify me. But Calderon?

Well, Calderon actually makes sense, but not with trading David. Calderon was an expiring contract and by all reports, he wanted to move on to actually play meaningful games. He's been a good guy and player for his career here, so I would be happy if he ends up on a good team next year.

Bargs can't be moved because he's injuried right now, but I'm not sure BC would trade him, even if he could. His contract may also be unmovable. Trades in the NBA, matching salaries, is very difficult. Moving him might mean taking back an equally bad contract, unless we're will to part with young pieces. But shit, we traded Davis so..

Our PG position is really going to be terrible when Lowry, who has a long injury history, can't play starter's minutes. Lucas put up a good game last night, but that's probably not going to hold. We also have next to nothing on the block, with Amir Johnson being our most polished threat and V not playing because of injury.

Gay is no franchise centre piece and he's basically DeRozan's doppelganger. It's sort of hilarious how hard we pushed for him and ended up trading our valuable expiring contract (Calderon) and a young piece that had been playing well (Davis) for him.

Brinbe

I really still don't get why THIS got everyone all upset. Seems weirdly overdue since there's a billion things BC has gotten wrong and this is actually something he did right. We've been crying out for a decent SF since Garbo and he finally found one.

First of all, Jose played well this year, but overall, he was a terrible defensive player, extremely overpaid and unfortunately, someone who could never accept being the back-up. He almost ran-off Lowry too, FFS! I'm just happy we got something back for him and didn't let him just leave for nothing in return like Barbosa and Bayless last season.

And I love Ed, he was a monster this season, but we traded definitely sold high on him. Amir and (hopefully) Acy isn't that much of a drop-off of what he brought. Average 4s are a dime a dozen in this league now. Not sure why y'all are so overly attached to him now. What was your opinion on him four months ago?

Hell, save for the refs fucking up last night, we almost beat the Hawks without either of them!

Anyway, liking this move shouldn't/doesn't absolve Colangelo of his numerous past mistakes. He still has to deal with the Bargnani/DeRozan issues (BTW, Bargnani still hasn't been dumped because he's been hurt for the past two months!) and find somehow/someway to find a taker for Fields' awful deal (not likely, but he did manage to trade Turkaball and Hoffa, right?). But at least wait till after the trade deadline to walk off the ledge, okay?

In the mean time, there's reason for optimism. Lowry/Ross/Gay/Amir/Val is a solid core to be excited about.

Azih

Blah, I think I'm going to have to agree to disagree with you on Calderon. It seemed to me like Calderon and Lowry got along and Calderon has shown that he's perfectly fine with being option 1, and 1a with another PG and that's always worked out fine. To me he's an elite PG and he made all of his team mates better. He has been the most professional player this team has ever seen. We are incredibly thin on the PG front now especially with Lowry's injury issues.

And he by all accounts loved playing here even when things were bad and they were bad frequently. We got rid of a good guy for sure and a guy that the other players loved playing with. Locker room morale has got to have taken a hit. Everybody depended on Calederon feeding them for their points. Seriously. And dumping him to the Pistons and not a contender? Insulting.

I liked having a good young core that we could see develop and grow and Ed Davis was a part of that. It's gone now. And anyway to clear out the PF jam it's Bargniani that should have gone.

DeRozan needs minutes, Ross needs minutes, who gets screwed when Gay comes in?

We got rid of one of the best passers in the league and replaced him with another ball hog. Lovely.

Like I said, I hope Calderon and Davis go gangbusters on the Raptors whenever they play them. Like absolutely murder them.

Oppo

Out, you sports heathens! You have threads for this! ;)

I'm getting 36Mb/sec down on TekSavvy now. Still just a measly 1Mb up. (this is all over Wifi). I'm desperately hoping I don't need to switch (back) to Rogers for the upload speeds, as I really do need something faster for my biz, it's kind of critical actually... I've already put it off more than I should but I hate the thought of running back to Rogers SO DAMN MUCH, I put up with the slow upload and hope those upgrades Rogers is putting in trickle down to TS sooner rathe than later. Even 2 Mb/sec up would be a doubling, I'd fucking take it.

edit - also can I say: now this is a fucking snow squall. brrr

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Anyone in the north end of the city being hit by this storm? TTC feed has been lighting up with people complaining about buses skidding about on icy roads and 'blizzard' conditions. Howling wind down near the lake on the west end for me, but otherwise, pretty nice.

Out, you sports heathens! You have threads for this! ;)

I'm getting 36Mb/sec down on TekSavvy now. Still just a measly 1Mb up. (this is all over Wifi). I'm desperately hoping I don't need to switch (back) to Rogers for the upload speeds, as I really do need something faster for my biz, it's kind of critical actually... I've already put it off more than I should but I hate the thought of running back to Rogers SO DAMN MUCH, I put up with the slow upload and hope those upgrades Rogers is putting in trickle down to TS sooner rathe than later. Even 2 Mb/sec up would be a doubling, I'd fucking take it.

Teksavvy will eventually see those improvements, but if it's worth it for your business to have it ASAP, might as well switch. Nothing stopping you from bouncing right back once Teksavvy is up to speed, except of course, the cost of constantly switching.

Top Bottom