• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Sushi on Bloor! Their cucumber rolls are to die for.

I....what the fuck is this shit?! D:

Cheap is shit like tnt and bento sushi and most food court places.
Mid Tier would be stuff like Sushi on Bloor and Sushi on Queen and the rest of those Chinese run places.
High Tier would be stuff like Mikado Sushi and Taro's Fish. I'm very tempted to put Sushi Marche on here, but it's very expensive for what you get, but goddamn they're literally one block away from me.
God Tier would be stuff like Kaji Sushi and Kaiseki Yu-zen Hashimoto
Kuro Tier Sushi would likely be Tokyo - SUKIYABASHI JIRO.
AYCE I actually like Yang's kitchen and ten-ichi sushi

Quadratic

I always recommend Sushi Kaji as my favourite Sushi restaurant in Toronto.

EDIT: Yeah, after watching Jiro Dreams of Sushi and if I ever make it out to Tokyo, I'm definitely dropping the $400 to eat there. Sadly he might not still be alive and his son (who in his own right is a great sushi chef) will be running things.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I always recommend Sushi Kaji as my favourite Sushi restaurant in Toronto.

EDIT: Yeah, after watching Jiro Dreams of Sushi and if I ever make it out to Tokyo, I'm definitely dropping the $400 to eat there. Sadly he might still be alive and his son (who in his own right is a great sushi chef) will be running things.

Sadly? I'd eat sushi made from his cold dead corpse hands!

Bladeworker, your momma was wrong! ;)

Quadratic

But getting back to the Toronto sushi talk. It's hit or miss when it comes to "good sushi" here just due to the fact that we're not next to the ocean and everything needs to be trucked or flown in. Add to the fact that most sushi places lie about what they are serving makes me just settle for splurge sushi. It's really not horrible but when you haven't had awesome sushi you really don't know. Just try a few places and read a few yelp reviews with a grain of salt for some advice. Really depends at the end of the day how much you want to spend and if you enjoy it. All the food snobby attitude in the world doesn't matter if you like that random joint on Danforth or Queen St. We ended up at an AYCE sushi place at the TO meetup and no one seemed to hate the food if I recall.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
But getting back to the Toronto sushi talk. It's hit or miss when it comes to "good sushi" here just due to the fact that we're not next to the ocean and everything needs to be trucked or flown in. Add to the fact that most sushi places lie about what they are serving makes me just settle for splurge sushi. It's really not horrible but when you haven't had awesome sushi you really don't know. Just try a few places and read a few yelp reviews with a grain of salt for some advice. Really depends at the end of the day how much you want to spend and if you enjoy it. All the food snobby attitude in the world doesn't matter if you like that random joint on Danforth or Queen St. We ended up at an AYCE sushi place at the TO meetup and no one seemed to hate the food if I recall.
Can't argue this...by all means go to that neighborhood joint. Just so happens that mine is sushi marche, but I've had decent at the 'bad' places I joked about. OK...not TNT or Bento though...that's more rice than fish.

So burgers and now sushi...beer next? Coors Light SO baaaaaaaad!

scogoth

Can't argue this...by all means go to that neighborhood joint. Just so happens that mine is sushi marche, but I've had decent at the 'bad' places I joked about. OK...not TNT or Bento though...that's more rice than fish.

So burgers and now sushi...beer next? Coors Light SO baaaaaaaad!

Burgers, Sushi, Beer, Coors light. That sounds like the order for the next meetup.

Google search shows that they still ugly tho.

Asking Google search what the ugliest building is, is the same as asking the general public what the best movie of the year is.
The best movie of the year isn't the fucking Avengers (but that is probably what Joe Shhmoe would say) so why would I trust those same assholes to pick the ugliest building in Toronto?

Hieberrr

I....what the fuck is this shit?! D:

Cheap is shit like tnt and bento sushi and most food court places.
Mid Tier would be stuff like Sushi on Bloor and Sushi on Queen and the rest of those Chinese run places.
High Tier would be stuff like Mikado Sushi and Taro's Fish. I'm very tempted to put Sushi Marche on here, but it's very expensive for what you get, but goddamn they're literally one block away from me.
God Tier would be stuff like Kaji Sushi and Kaiseki Yu-zen Hashimoto
Kuro Tier Sushi would likely be Tokyo - SUKIYABASHI JIRO.
AYCE I actually like Yang's kitchen and ten-ichi sushi

Come on brove, it's pretty good :O~ Seriosuly, their cucumber rolls are so fresh tasting that it beats any cold beverage in the summer.

:OOOOOOOOOOO~~~~~~~~~~~

EDIT - Nevermind. Might just do Sushi on Bloor lol
My nigguh

Damn snow, I'm supposed to go to Niagara for my bday on Wednesday =/

I guess I'll have to drive very carefully, and hope it's wet snow that doesn't accumulate too much on the highway

Rinoa

Asking Google search what the ugliest building is, is the same as asking the general public what the best movie of the year is.
The best movie of the year isn't the fucking Avengers (but that is probably what Joe Shhmoe would say) so why would I trust those same assholes to pick the ugliest building in Toronto?

It's not the same as asking about movies. Toronto is full of ugly architecture, I've accepted this fact.

iAtLlTX.jpg

source

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I always like Cora's, but that's pretty standard.

Cora's has really gone down hill for me. It's always insanely busy, the staff doesn't give too many shits, the meals are not quite as tasty as they once were. Maybe it's just the downtown one though. If I want to fill my gut, I'll just find a good Sunset Grill. Easy Restaurant at corner of Roncesvalles and Queen is okay too, although not nearly as cheap as Sunset. Cardinal Rule is also close by.

I always wondered; where can you get God Tier ( or above ) Sushi in Toronto?

Sushi Kaji. You'll pay through the nose, but he's where Japanese rich folks & celebrities go when they're in town. He flies all his stuff over from Tokyo, and he has good sources. My girlfriend grew up by the seaside in Chiba and is super picky about this stuff, but even she was really impressed.

If you want something cheaper (but not cheap, still looking at $50 for two), go to Sushi 930 on Queen. You'll have to wait a while, there are only two people and it's take out only, but he's a legit sushi chef, I actually found out about him from the president of Honda Canada who's a fan.

Blackhead

Redarse
location? i usually go with close florists so delivery costs are minimal.

Toronto, North York area (deciding between delivery at work or home). Didn't know delivery costs could vary that much across the GTA...

This. Wiring delivery orders is great if you're sending them cross-country, but you gotta keep in mind that the store or service you place the original order with is taking 10% off the top.
Well ya, that's why I'm asking for a local toronto recommendation instead of ordering off one of those Canada/NA flower website. What did y'all do for Valentine's Day?

Well ya, that's why I'm asking for a local toronto recommendation instead of ordering off one of those Canada/NA flower website. What did y'all do for Valentine's Day?

My folks are florists, so free flowers. Unfortunately they're outside the GTA by quite a bit, so I can't help you there. Your best bet is probably to just google map the area you're looking at. All the florists in the GTA are going to get their flowers from the same five or six suppliers anyways, so I'd just pick a shop that looks nice and go with them.

Blackhead

Redarse
My folks are florists, so free flowers. Unfortunately they're outside the GTA by quite a bit, so I can't help you there. Your best bet is probably to just google map the area you're looking at. All the florists in the GTA are going to get their flowers from the same five or six suppliers anyways, so I'd just pick a shop that looks nice and go with them.

That's exactly the work I was looking to avoid by asking for a recommendation haha. Guess I get off my lazy bum and search googlemaps/blogto

Top Bottom