• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

zeitgeist

Two pushes in, my shovel broke off. This slush madness is so crazy that I could literally go swimming in the area where my driveway meets the road.

I just shoveled some slush. My arms are dead tired.

Can't wait until spring. #TeamWarm #BeastSpring
I actually hurt my heart shoveling today. I was about to keel over so I had to stop and stumble inside. I usually shovel like a maniac really fast and today I really felt it with this heavy slush. Young or old be careful with shoveling. You can really fuck something up if not careful. I'm fine but it was kind of scary for a few moments.

Take it easy shoveling this slush around. This is the kind of stuff that gives people heart attacks. Want to be a proud team #winter member, but this muck needs to go away and fast.
Lol damn just saw this post. Yeah, it can be dangerous.

Oh I have, I've lived in Europe. Just didn't know how they did it here.

It's a retention of traditions among founding populations and immigrant communities.

Here's a hint of why it's there: Kitchener used to be called New Berlin.

It's no Munich (the European one) but they make a good Canuckian effort.

Kraftwerk

It's a retention of traditions among founding populations and immigrant communities.

Here's a hint of why it's there: Kitchener used to be called New Berlin.

It's no Munich (the European one) but they make a good Canuckian effort.

I see.

Regarding the neetup, I would be down.

krae_man

Yeah it's the largest one outside Munich. As for how long, It would be an evening only. Maybe an overnighter if you want to get shitfaced and not drive home.

Kraftwerk

Yeah it's the largest one outside Munich. As for how long, It would be an evening only. Maybe an overnighter if you want to get shitfaced and not drive home.

I could so an evening or a full day, wouldn't be able to do overnight. Let me know how it goes, I am definitely down.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Thanks for that. This is a question to those who attended the last one. Worth going to if you're not a huge Zelda fan?

I'm not sure I can respond, given that I'm a huge Zelda fan. They go through all the games in the series, although some get really long segments (ie; Wind Waker). I hope there's more Skyward Sword this time around, given that it's a great soundtrack. But if you're only familiar with some of the games, even the early ones, you should recognize some tunes (the four part movement official is The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past., but they touch on a lot of other games like Link's Awakening, Majora's Mask, etc) You may just enjoy it for the music, but it's tough for me to give a non-bias opinion given my affinity for the games and especially their soundtracks.

They have a lot of fun at the symphony. It's very light hearted, and even speakers and even the conductor seem to be big Zelda nerds. You'll pick up a bunch of StreetPasses (I had over 60 at the one last year) and they have some merchandise, like t-shirts, available to purchase. They had some demo kiosk setup around the area with various Zelda games to play, but nothing too special.

I definitely preferred it over Video Games Live. VGL was entertaining, but the musically selection was really hit, or miss. And the production quality seemed a bit poorer (not that I'm an expert). I thought it was hilarious that the VGL host had no clue what the hell Earthbound was, when he was introducing the Runaway (a local Toronto music group).

edit: Club Nintendo offers a 15% discount on tickets as well.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
How much did the Zelda concert tickets cost last time?

I think $30 is as low as it goes. We had pretty good seats in the lower section, about 25 rows back for around $60 (although after all the Tickermaster surcharges and 'fees', it was over $80). Anything closer than that, there was a significant price hike.

Quick

Banned
Drove through the 401 earlier. Could not see shit, but at the same time, the roads were actually okay. Then the snow really piled up, but I was already on my way home before it piled up enough.

I actually hurt my heart shoveling today. I was about to keel over so I had to stop and stumble inside. I usually shovel like a maniac really fast and today I really felt it with this heavy slush. Young or old be careful with shoveling. You can really fuck something up if not careful. I'm fine but it was kind of scary for a few moments.

Are you feeling better now? I had to get rid of more ice/slush today, and I felt like I was about to break my chest open, holy crap.

N8ha4j2.jpg

source

EM I want your opinion on this....

This for real?
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=516730
I'll pretend to be EM today: it doesn't surprise me.

I think $30 is as low as it goes. We had pretty good seats in the lower section, about 25 rows back for around $60 (although after all the Tickermaster surcharges and 'fees', it was over $80). Anything closer than that, there was a significant price hike.
the front most section is around $125 after the club Nintendo discount

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
EM I want your opinion on this....

This for real?
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=516730

Sure, I could see it fitting. Audio / voice acting is even cheap. Don't ask me about 'Manufacturing and Shipping Physical Rewards' which eats up 20k. They could probably outsource the QA for less too, although it's obviously very important to them (<3). Keep in mind while the full game was in development, a lot of resources could be spread around, so it's not as simple to say 'every character in this game cost us $150k to make'. Now that they're going back to do these single character updates, cost will be higher.

jokkir

I'm not sure I can respond, given that I'm a huge Zelda fan. They go through all the games in the series, although some get really long segments (ie; Wind Waker). I hope there's more Skyward Sword this time around, given that it's a great soundtrack. But if you're only familiar with some of the games, even the early ones, you should recognize some tunes (the four part movement official is The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past., but they touch on a lot of other games like Link's Awakening, Majora's Mask, etc) You may just enjoy it for the music, but it's tough for me to give a non-bias opinion given my affinity for the games and especially their soundtracks.

They have a lot of fun at the symphony. It's very light hearted, and even speakers and even the conductor seem to be big Zelda nerds. You'll pick up a bunch of StreetPasses (I had over 60 at the one last year) and they have some merchandise, like t-shirts, available to purchase. They had some demo kiosk setup around the area with various Zelda games to play, but nothing too special.

I definitely preferred it over Video Games Live. VGL was entertaining, but the musically selection was really hit, or miss. And the production quality seemed a bit poorer (not that I'm an expert). I thought it was hilarious that the VGL host had no clue what the hell Earthbound was, when he was introducing the Runaway (a local Toronto music group).

edit: Club Nintendo offers a 15% discount on tickets as well.

Don't forget the loud obnoxious people! :p

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
http://www.thestar.com/life/food_wine/2013/02/28/115_bottle_of_beer_expected_to_sell_out_in_hours.html

One of the rarest, strongest beers in the world has touched down in Ontario — but it will cost you.

Samuel Adams Utopias, which goes on sale via the LCBO’s telephone order centre (800 668-5226) at 8:30 Friday morning, will set you back a whopping $114.95 per bottle. It’s a bargain at the price, vows Sam Adams founder and U.S. craft brewing legend Jim Koch.

It's no Coors Light but not gonna lie I do have some LCBO giftcards so I might call tomorrow to see if I'd actually get through to order one.

ZZMitch

Thanks for that. This is a question to those who attended the last one. Worth going to if you're not a huge Zelda fan?

Im not a huge Zelda fan, went with a friend. I enjoyed it a lot!

Protip: if you have a 3DS, bring it. I must have gotten 100 streetpasses.

Weather like this makes me believe, at heart, that if Rob Ford were forced to be a pedestrian for a week, he'd have long ago dropped his silly "War on the Car!" rhetoric.

Hell, one good head-to-toe bus slushing and he'd have changed his tune.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Weather like this makes me believe, at heart, that if Rob Ford were forced to be a pedestrian for a week, he'd have long ago dropped his silly "War on the Car!" rhetoric.

Hell, one good head-to-toe bus slushing and he'd have changed his tune.

We need subways, Subways, SUBWAYS!

We need subways, Subways, SUBWAYS!

Well, first I'd like it if the neighbours actually shovelled/salted their driveways and adjacent sidewalks. You know, like they're required to by law:

A. Every owner or occupant of any building must, within 12 hours after any fall of
snow, rain or hail has ceased, clear away and completely remove snow and ice from
any sidewalk on any highway in front of, alongside or at the rear of the building.
B. After the removal of snow and ice, if any portion of the sidewalk becomes slippery
from any cause, the owner or occupant must immediately and as often as necessary
apply to the sidewalk ashes, sand, salt or some other suitable material so as to completely cover the slippery surface.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Well, first I'd like it if the neighbours actually shovelled/salted their driveways and adjacent sidewalks. You know, like they're required to by law:

I miss the neighbour who used to live on the corner of my street. He always cleared his sidewalks. I'm pretty sure the new guy makes sure to put extra snow where the sidewalks are supposed to be when clearing his driveway. Bastard.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Seems like the Downtown Relief Line is the topic of the day at council. This is the study Stintz posted on Twitter a while ago. Not exactly mind blowing; Downtown is serviced well, 'shoulder' areas underserviced, demand on existing lines would decrease with DRL while raising ridership. They estimate automating the trains (ie; being able to run vehicles closer together) would keep them within capacity for their ridership for 15-20 years.. which seems.. slightly optimistic. Expansions to anywhere, like Richmond Hill (or Mississauga, please), obviously shortens that window to overcrowding.

edit: Looks like the TTC stabber was arrested this morning. My neck feels a slight bit safer.

Azih

Seems like the Downtown Relief Line is the topic of the day at council. This is the study Stintz posted on Twitter a while ago. Not exactly mind blowing; Downtown is serviced well, 'shoulder' areas underserviced, demand on existing lines would decrease with DRL while raising ridership. They estimate automating the trains (ie; being able to run vehicles closer together) would keep them within capacity for their ridership for 15-20 years.. which seems.. slightly optimistic. Expansions to anywhere, like Richmond Hill (or Mississauga, please), obviously shortens that window to overcrowding.

edit: Looks like the TTC stabber was arrested this morning. My neck feels a slight bit safer.

They should seriously rename the 'DRL' to the Scarborough-Etobicoke Relief Line (SERL) because that's what it fucking is.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
They should seriously rename the 'DRL' to the Scarborough-Etobicoke Relief Line (SERL) because that's what it fucking is.
It would also gain support in those areas. Scarborough and Etobicoke residents hear downtown relief line and they're against their taxes helping downtown. A rename and they'd be all for it. :lol

Oppo

Except that... none of the options actually go to Scarborough or Etobicoke....?

#1 connects Pape to Union
#2 connects Flemingdon Park (which is in North York) via Pape to Union
#3 is like #2 but also goes west and connects High Park Blvd. to Union as well

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Except that... none of the options actually go to Scarborough or Etobicoke....?

#1 connects Pape to Union
#2 connects Flemingdon Park (which is in North York) via Pape to Union
#3 is like #2 but also goes west and connects High Park Blvd. to Union as well
Stupid voters don't need to know that. :p

Top Bottom