• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Willectro

Banned
Those $100k token collectors are the life blood of the TTC!

As much as I dislike the TTC, you can't blame the (near) lowest level employees for the many issues currently plaguing the service. People making decent wages (in terms of the collectors, a large amount of overtime was required as the base salary is much less than 100k. About 60k IIRC) is good for our economy. Even if the TTC fired all the token collectors tomorrow, it's not like that will free up enough money to really change the service drastically.

I'm surprised this thread doesn't rip more on Stintz, who constantly makes poor decisions (see: Newsstand controversy, lmao) which negatively impact the TTC infinitely more than employee earnings. All I'm saying is we should be scrutinizing the "little guys" less, considering token collector, bus driver, etc are less than glamorous jobs.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
As much as I dislike the TTC, you can't blame the (near) lowest level employees for the many issues currently plaguing the service. People making decent wages (in terms of the collectors, a large amount of overtime was required as the base salary is much less than 100k. About 60k IIRC) is good for our economy. Even if the TTC fired all the token collectors tomorrow, it's not like that will free up enough money to really change the service drastically.

I'm surprised this thread doesn't rip more on Stintz, who constantly makes poor decisions (see: Newsstand controversy, lmao) which negatively impact the TTC infinitely more than employee earnings. All I'm saying is we should be scrutinizing the "little guys" less, considering token collector, bus driver, etc are less than glamorous jobs.

It's a microcosm of what's wrong with the TTC's management. They cling to these positions to save jobs, rather than move on with automation of the system, making progress, trimming the fat. They're just starting to talk about train automation, when it's been a standard in many transit system for decades. Token collectors are basically sweet heart jobs for TTC employees that have put in the time. And yes, most of the six figured employees at the TTC, save for some of the higher ups, making their money on overtime (TTC paid out $62 million in overtime in 2011).

I don't necessarily blame the token collectors as much as I do the management. Although I do blame the token collectors for giving a shitty face to the TTC. On average, they seem to be the most miserable people I come across every day. The Runnymede incident will always stick in my mind whenever I see a grumpy token collector. It might be a less than glamorous job, but I see minimum wage employees in customer service positions will a better demeanour than token collectors.

Of course, there's plenty of blame to go around from management to employees to the province for under funding the transit system in the country's largest city. Then you see how the TTC manages their funds with the money they do have and eyes roll. So yeah, I don't mean to just spout off at the front line employees, some of which are very friendly and helpful. But I'm not exactly sympathetic to their position when it comes to automation versus their jobs.

Stintz will start to get ripped a lot more in the coming months when her candidacy for mayor is official. She's not exactly someone who the majority of GAF will want in office either. And her posturing the last couple of years is irritating to say the least.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I remember going to Kipling station and a woman was struggling to open the gate to push her giant luggage thing through. There were two ttc employees literally standing next to the gate chatting and totally ignoring her.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I remember going to Kipling station and a woman was struggling to open the gate to push her giant luggage thing through. There were two ttc employees literally standing next to the gate chatting and totally ignoring her.

The range of employees is interesting. You'll see everything from streetcar drivers that will stop the vehicle, get off and help people load on luggage and strollers with a smile and a tip of the cap. To streetcar drivers that won't even acknowledge your existence as you board, or bus drivers that refuse to lower the bus for for elderly people trying to get on and off.

I do enjoy it when I catch the 501 streetcar driver who sings the stops, or the one that has long, detailed descriptions of each stop, including what's good to eat in the area.

edit: To Willectro's point; People that blame drivers for short turns and other things are ridiculous. It's like blaming the cashier at a grocery store because the price of milk went up. It's totally out of their control, but I see people rip into them. When the driver gets off to get pizza, leaving his streetcar in the middle of the road for five minutes on the other hand..

Seems like the Downtown Relief Line is the topic of the day at council. This is the study Stintz posted on Twitter a while ago. Not exactly mind blowing; Downtown is serviced well, 'shoulder' areas underserviced, demand on existing lines would decrease with DRL while raising ridership. They estimate automating the trains (ie; being able to run vehicles closer together) would keep them within capacity for their ridership for 15-20 years.. which seems.. slightly optimistic. Expansions to anywhere, like Richmond Hill (or Mississauga, please), obviously shortens that window to overcrowding.

Wait... so they are aiming to have the DRL built in 25 years?!?!?! What the fucking shit is that?
Please say I'm reading that incorrectly.

I wish I lived in the past when they used to just build things because we need them instead of just talking about it forever.

cbox

Anyone know of any 3d printing service shops in toronto? I'm looking to get something really simple printed, and I've looked on shapeways but it's WAY too expensive.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Wait... so they are aiming to have the DRL built in 25 years?!?!?! What the fucking shit is that?
Please say I'm reading that incorrectly.

I wish I lived in the past when they used to just build things because we need them instead of just talking about it forever.

We're building for our grandchildren.
;_;

Of course, it's not like we could actually stick to a transit plan for five years. Not like this plan would last over two decades. It's just a hypothetical study, but it's sort of depressing to see how slowly things might progress.

;_;

Of course, it's not like we could actually stick to a transit plan for five years. Not like this plan would last over two decades. It's just a hypothetical study, but it's sort of depressing to see how slowly things might progress.

If we planned things in this way back when the original subway line was built then it never would have happened at all.
It's pathetic the kind of political bureaucracy that cripples current transit planning in North America when you compare it to Europe or especially Asia.

Azih

Except that... none of the options actually go to Scarborough or Etobicoke....?

#1 connects Pape to Union
#2 connects Flemingdon Park (which is in North York) via Pape to Union
#3 is like #2 but also goes west and connects High Park Blvd. to Union as well

Because it allows people coming in from Scarborough and from Etobicoke to Union to hop onto their fancy brand new subway express straight to union and not have to stand at Bloor and St.George for 20 minutes just to crush into the people from North York heading south. That's the whole point of it. It's not being built for the people at Pape or High Park Blvd! It's for everyone east of Pape and west of High Park.

Azih

;_;
And because our parents/grandparents didn't build it for us. Bastards.

t's a microcosm of what's wrong with the TTC's management. They cling to these positions to save jobs, rather than move on with automation of the system, making progress, trimming the fat. They're just starting to talk about train automation, when it's been a standard in many transit system for decades.
I don't agree with that because what does management need to actually do any of these things? A whole hell of a lot of capital investment. What has the TTC NOT had for a whole hell of a long time? Capital investment.

Train automation can't happen until we get new trains. We finally got the new trains (thanks to McGuinty) and so now we can automate. How the heck would TTC management do so before then?

Ticket automation is not an easy thing to do either. Look at all the problems Presto is having. Doing it right takes time (read: money) and expertise (read: money) and if transit systems here had a reliable source of consistent capital funding then we'd be able to judge how effective they are. But they don't.

You can't expect service and equipment to improve while you're busy cutting a budget to the bone.

Now I agree with you that the union would fight these things tooth and nail but that's an academic point as the management hasn't been given the resources to do them in the first place. Unfortunately that's not as much a municipal issue as much as a provincial/federal one.

Miller improved the municipal situation a bit in tandem with McGuinty by getting Toronto the power to levy taxes and he used them well (Vehicle Registration and Land Transfer). Ford is doing his level best to screw that up. Thankfully council has neutered him but damn this is wasted time. The Vehicle money could be doing so much good right now.

Wynne+Howarth could do some really great things with getting additional revenue streams to pay for transit capital investment and ongoing operations funding throughout the province. Blowback from McGuinty's incredible mismanagement might blow them out of the water though and bring Hudak (shudder) in. We'll see. I hope not.

Harper? Fuck he doesn't give a shit. Canada is the only developed country without a federal transit strategy. That bullshit is on Paul Martin and Jean Chretien as well.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
And because our parents/grandparents didn't build it for us. Bastards.

I don't agree with that because what does management need to actually do any of these things? A whole hell of a lot of capital investment. What has the TTC NOT had for a whole hell of a long time? Capital investment.

Train automation can't happen until we get new trains. We finally got the new trains (thanks to McGuinty) and so now we can automate. How the heck would TTC management do so before then?

Ticket automation is not an easy thing to do either. Look at all the problems Presto is having. Doing it right takes time (read: money) and expertise (read: money) and if transit systems here had a reliable source of consistent capital funding then we'd be able to judge how effective they are. But they don't.

You can't expect service and equipment to improve while you're busy cutting a budget to the bone.

Now I agree with you that the union would fight these things tooth and nail but that's an academic point as the management hasn't been given the resources to do them in the first place. Unfortunately that's not as much a municipal issue as much as a provincial/federal one. It's tough for me to defend TTC management when

Miller improved the municipal situation a bit in tandem with McGuinty by getting Toronto the power to levy taxes and he used them well (Vehicle Registration and Land Transfer). Ford is doing his level best to screw that up. Thankfully council has neutered him but damn this is wasted time. The Vehicle money could be doing so much good right now.

Wynne+Howarth could do some really great things with getting additional revenue streams to pay for transit capital investment and ongoing operations funding throughout the province. Blowback from McGuinty's incredible mismanagement might blow them out of the water though and bring Hudak (shudder) in. We'll see. I hope not.

Harper? Fuck he doesn't give a shit. Canada is the only developed country without a federal transit strategy. That bullshit is on Paul Martin and Jean Chretien as well.

Regarding automation and moving forward; A lot of other transit systems have gone through the growing pains of it and are better for it. More efficiently run, faster service, easier to understand for tourist. No one at the TTC was even pushing for the beginning phases of the programs, which is a management problem at the TTC. It has to start at that level. You're not going to secure funding sitting on your hands. The Province is reluctant enough to give the TTC cash. Of course, there is much influence from their union to keep this sort of progress out of the talks, because it might mean cutting some jobs in the end.

Just because it's tough to implement doesn't mean you pass it over though. Putting off the inevitable doesn't help anyone, whether it's through things like automating the system, expanding it, etc. Whoever does end up paying for it ends up worse than us in the end. We're merely passing the bill down to them.

What was stopping the TTC from using an automated fare system long before PRESTO was even conceived? A hundred other transit systems had moved in that direction. They could have used a smart card system that was already in place instead of waiting for PRESTO to show up; A new system that was built from the ground up and thus experienced all the trail and error growing pains you could expect from a new system. And even when PRESTO did show up, they had to be taken kicking and screaming into accepting it.

Even things like stop announcements, the TTC was reluctant to adopt. Don't forget, only 6 years ago, not all stops had announcements, which is something you take for granted if you're travelling in most modern transit systems. Of course, that's only the tip of the ice berg when it comes to accessibility issues on the TTC and at the stations.

Other levels of government have plenty of blame when it comes to how the TTC has developed, because like you said, without funding from that level, most projects come to a stand still. But TTC rarely takes the lead when it comes to progress and building awareness of what the transit system needs. When they do get the budget and the chance to act, they hand out terrible contracts and have no communication with the community at all (St Clair and Roncesvalles projects), or the projects end up being a hilarious way to burn a bunch of money (increase bus route frequency, then cut bus route frequency six months later, the 'hybrid buses' that don't save nearly as much as they thought, argh).

edit: I will say the progress Giambrone tried to make is given way too little credit, mostly because the guy is such a mess when it comes to his public image.

edit2: So, yes, I hope Toronto actually see's some more funds coming its way from Ottawa for transit. I agree with you we receive way too little (ie; nothing) to even run year to year, but TTC management does itself very little favours in terms of how it handles itself publicly.

Azih

Regarding automation and moving forward; A lot of other transit systems have gone through the growing pains of it and are better for it. More efficiently run, faster service, easier to understand for tourist.
Hell I agree with that.

No one at the TTC was even pushing for the beginning phases of the programs, which is a management problem at the TTC. It has to start at that level.
I don't know EM. I've been here since 1996 and honestly with the Mike Harris years it wouldn't have mattered what the TTC pushed for as he downloaded all transit costs onto the city (Revenue neutral swap Common Sense Revolution my ass). How would you push for improving the service when you have to scramble to figure out how you're going to keep the trains even running? Especially with a forced amalgamation happening at the same time trying to smash six city governments into one. It was a horrible time made worse by Federal Liberals (Chretien and Martin) completely and totally taking Toronto seats for granted and engaged in downloading their own responsibilities downward as well. The city was getting screwed on all ends hard (Harris campaign slogan was basically FUCK TORONTO and he won a majority twice based on it and proceeded to do just that. The hate on for Toronto from the rest of the province was intense man). I don't know if you were here then but things were BAD, and they were BAD for a very very long time (Seven years). Every service was in full on survival mode.

You can't advocate in that kind of an environment. As soon as we got out of that with the Liberals things started improving again which is kind of amazing considering how underfunded the system still is. Honestly I think memory of the Harris days is why I *still* like Doofus McGuinty. The opening of some taps by him is what allowed Miller and Giambrone to actually start investing again.

The problems in this specific case came from the top (Harris/Martin/Chretien), not the bottom (unions). And you can't really say too much bad about management if they're being underfunded by their bosses. They're not on the top after all, the politicians and therefore the public (democracy lol) are.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I will say the progress Giambrone tried to make is given way too little credit, mostly because the guy is such a mess when it comes to his public image.

edit2: So, yes, I hope Toronto actually see's some more funds coming its way from Ottawa for transit. I agree with you we receive way too little (ie; nothing) to even run year to year, but TTC management does itself very little favours in terms of how it handles itself publicly.

Fuck his free french lessons

Fuck TTC management!

I think there was some TTC driver who's a poster here. I got no beef with you, but you gotta admit your coworkers do more harm than good when they do stupid shit like sleeping on the job and yelling at moms with baby strollers.

Kraftwerk

I was talking to sushi expert yesterday. He told me that the closest authentic Japanese sushi you can get is at Hiro Sushi in St.larwnce market. Expensive, and real. I am going there on Thursday.

Azih

The new guy Andy Byford does seem to have far more of a clue. I hope he sticks around for a while.

daemonic

Banned
Yesterday morning at Church and Adelaide two streetcars (one after the other) stopped in the middle of rush hour traffic, blinkers went on, and the two drivers jumped out for a smoke break to chat while all traffic behind had to swerve around just to pass.

Is this something that is typically allowed or accepted? I was so tempted to take a picture of the two drivers smoking and laughing it up while also completely indifferent to the confused motorists who clearly did not understand why the streetcars were no longer moving.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I was talking to sushi expert yesterday. He told me that the closest authentic Japanese sushi you can get is at Hiro Sushi in St.larwnce market. Expensive, and real. I am going there on Thursday.
Hiro is pretty good. Go for the expensive omakase. Though he is wrong and you need to go to mikado and Taro's fish.

Once you see the rush to rice ratio, especially, Taro's fish, you will see...

Lol TTC drivers and streetcars!

Should've taken a picture and sent it to this almighty chief with his articles on customer service in the metro. His words are nice but shit like this still happens now and then.

I sent in a complaint once about 4 72 buses coming at the same time and no response and no responsibility. Fuck the TTC.

0MIlZLA.jpg

source

Man, that new "artwork" on the wall of Pape Station is just awful. I don't understand how they could choose that awful looking stuff when such great artists are out there.
Very disappointing.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Man, that new "artwork" on the wall of Pape Station is just awful. I don't understand how they could choose that awful looking stuff when such great artists are out there.
Very disappointing.
I see it all the time. I don't care about it. I just want them to finish the goddamn station. Besides thugs walking in for free, it was an extremely efficient set up. Now the have the 72 turn in where the 81s turn in....and the 81s are ALWAYS there

Oppo

Very disappointing.

That stuff is nothing compared to the horrible aesthetic abominations that have adorned the Queen and College subway walls for decades.

I can't even express in words how much I loathe that "artwork". If you read about someone utterly defacing it beyond repair someday, it was probably me. I scowl every single time I pass through there.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I've become EvilMario...I picked up an XL today despite already having a 3DS.

They only had the pink/white ones too...

That's ok...right? :'(

Now what the hell am I supposed to do with my old one?!

Lol TTC drivers and streetcars!

Should've taken a picture and sent it to this almighty chief with his articles on customer service in the metro. His words are nice but shit like this still happens now and then.

I sent in a complaint once about 4 72 buses coming at the same time and no response and no responsibility. Fuck the TTC.

The naive person says that with the new customer charter things will change.

The cynic says take pictures and send them to the press.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
The naive person says that with the new customer charter things will change.

The cynic says take pictures and send them to the press.
All I see from this chief are pretty words. Until I see disciplined drivers and a sense of urgency with regards to customer service, the TTC is just getting better at PR and the union is out for itself and not the citizens of Toronto.

Yesterday, I went to Roy Thompson Hall for a concert called "Arcadiac" which was these screens showing old videogames from the 70s and early 80s and then they would skip or loop a very small clip of the music or sound effects from the game and the Toronto Symphony Orchestra would play along with it. It was pretty fun!
It was games like Tempest and Defender and things like that. They weren't playing the songs from the game, it was like writing new music that had some sound effects or bass tones from the games together with it.
A good time.

All I see from this chief are pretty words. Until I see disciplined drivers and a sense of urgency with regards to customer service, the TTC is just getting better at PR and the union is out for itself and not the citizens of Toronto.

Of course the union is out to help itself/its members, and not speaking in the interests of Toronto. It's a Union! It's not supposed to speak for customers. Customers don't pay dues.

It would be nice if they'd consider us, but nobody should be surprised when a union doesn't advocate for people who aren't its members.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Don't hate on Speaker's corner :( Sure it was gross and people defecated on air, but it brought us awesome stuff every now and then.

Seriously? What in the fuck.

And yeah, Speaker's Corner was pretty fun to watch. Though I watched the one out of London.

Rinoa

Seriously? What in the fuck.

And yeah, Speaker's Corner was pretty fun to watch. Though I watched the one out of London.

When I worked at 299 queen I met the producer of SC and was in a few commercials for it. She told me some stories that would give you nightmares or scare you from setting foot in/touching anything in that booth. If you ever looked at the floor you'd notice a drain there, it's there for a reason.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
When I worked at 299 queen I met the producer of SC and was in a few commercials for it. She told me some stories that would give you nightmares or scare you from setting foot in/touching anything in that booth. If you ever looked at the floor you'd notice a drain there, it's there for a reason.
The infamous drainhole

Sounds like a thread for the OT

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I remember walking past one weekend and seeing a guy pleasuring himself in there. I kept walking.

Top Bottom