• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Willectro

Banned
dOcjCI2.gif

Thanks, r/Toronto.

thabiz

I was at the Skydome yesterday to watch the TFC home opener. It was a nice match. I haven't seen TFC hustle like that in a long time and it was nice to see an actual victory.
I will be very glad to have them playing back at BMO Field though. The "Rogers Centre" just isn't great for atmosphere. It's a huge cavern. The funny thing was that the weather was so nice yesterday that they didn't even have to play the match there.

Photo of the (sun)day:

Cv1wIT6.jpg

source

thabiz

I was at the Skydome yesterday to watch the TFC home opener. It was a nice match. I haven't seen TFC hustle like that in a long time and it was nice to see an actual victory.
I will be very glad to have them playing back at BMO Field though. The "Rogers Centre" just isn't great for atmosphere. It's a huge cavern. The funny thing was that the weather was so nice yesterday that they didn't even have to play the match there.

I watched the game and it looked bad. The Dome is just too big. When its full, its awesome, but that only happens once a year now. When i first turned it on, i thought it was a game from last night. it was so dark.

I watched the game and it looked bad. The Dome is just too big. When its full, its awesome, but that only happens once a year now. When i first turned it on, i thought it was a game from last night. it was so dark.

Yeah. It's a weird place. The attendance was around 25,000 which is more than BMO Field holds but it looks a lot worse there.
The sound doesn't carry well either. I saw the supporters groups jumping and singing something but the sound didn't even carry to where I was sitting like 5 sections over.

I'm gonna be travelling to Montreal to watch TFC play the Impact next weekend and that match is going to be played at Olympic Stadium instead of their real soccer field too. Should be interesting.

thabiz

Ahahaha, It looks like the letter the school sent is written in comic sans. While I agree he really desperately needs some PR people to censor him, I really don't care about some Catholic high school teachers' interpretation of a newspaper article.

I think there's more to this. This is Don Bosco, the Church of Rob Ford. The very school that shielded and defended him before the trial. Why would they suddenly turn on him? Odd.

Yes, he really needs to get a good PR team together. They were working very hard before, now it seems the don't give a shit.

Willectro

Banned
I think there's more to this. This is Don Bosco, the Church of Rob Ford. The very school that shielded and defended him before the trial. Why would they suddenly turn on him? Odd.

Yes, he really needs to get a good PR team together. They were working very hard before, now it seems the don't give a shit.

Teachers are crazy.

thabiz

Yeah. It's a weird place. The attendance was around 25,000 which is more than BMO Field holds but it looks a lot worse there.
The sound doesn't carry well either. I saw the supporters groups jumping and singing something but the sound didn't even carry to where I was sitting like 5 sections over.

I'm gonna be travelling to Montreal to watch TFC play the Impact next weekend and that match is going to be played at Olympic Stadium instead of their real soccer field too. Should be interesting.

Yeah, it was really quiet. I swear, i thought it was a game from the night before, in KC.

I like the O. Its a piece of crap like the Dome, but it has character. Montreal fans are always fun too. should be a good time.

The Dome is just a cavernous, concrete bowl. Are we still paying for that thing?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
The Dome is just a cavernous, concrete bowl. Are we still paying for that thing?
I love the story of the cost and multiple sales of the SkyDome.

Estimated Construction Cost (1986-1989): $570 million
Sold to Interbrew (1994): $151 million
Stadium files for bankruptcy protection (1998)
Sportsco buys it out of bankruptcy protection (1998): $85 million
Sold to Rogers (2004): $25 million

I'm waiting a few years before I offer Rogers $100 for it. :lol

Brinbe

Weather is absolutely perfect right now, damn.

And stop hating on the dome, it's perfectly fucking fine! The atmosphere is usually shitty when the roof is closed, (unless there's a sellout, like a concert/WrestleMania/Jays opener/TFC vs LA Galaxy last year) but it's always great when the roof's open. They also tore down those windows in center recently and Rogers says they're investing $200 mill in improvements/reno, so it'll get better. Can't wait till they're able to kick the Argos out and get that real grass installed.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Weather is absolutely perfect right now, damn.

And stop hating on the dome, it's perfectly fucking fine! The atmosphere is usually shitty when the roof is closed, (unless there's a sellout, like a concert/WrestleMania/Jays opener/TFC vs LA Galaxy last year) but it's always great when the roof's open. They also tore down those windows in center recently and Rogers says they're investing $200 mill in improvements/reno, so it'll get better. Can't wait till they get they're able to kick the Argos out and get that real grass installed.

Can't wait for real grass. I've dreamed of a real baseball park for decades.

I still say add a bit of foilage where Windows used to be and baby we looking pretty.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Having visited plenty of the new balls parks that popped up around MLB in the last decade, I feel justified in my Skydome hate. It might be a decent venue for other events, but it's a terrible baseball stadium. Putting in grass is a great attention, but it doesn't change the layout and seating problems, or the stadium being one of the ugliest imaginable. Crowd atmosphere really has nothing to do with it. Even terrible stadiums can have great energy if your team is winning and you're selling a bunch of tickets. I guess we can always take solace in being better than the Oakland Coliseum.

Maybe if I had some more sentimental attachment to the stadium, I would feel differently.

edit: I should note I grew up going to Candlestick, so I know bad ballparks. Skydome isn't nearly that level of terrible, but it's no gem.

Brinbe

Can't wait for real grass. I've dreamed of a real baseball park for decades.

I still say add a bit of foilage where Windows used to be and baby we looking pretty.

Seriously, go all out with it. Waterfalls/fountains, all of that good shit hahaha

And I hear ya, EM! I've been to a bunch of other stadiums and it doesn't really truly compare to the historical nostalgia of Fenway/Old Yankee Stadium or the new beauty/amenities of Citizen's Bank/Camden or New Yankee/Citi Field and other baseball-only stadia. It's real unfortunate that we built it right at the time when cookie-cutter configurations were going out and the new-retro thing was coming in.

But considering its prime convenient location and the fact that, as you said earlier, we're sure as hell not paying for a new one anytime soon, the concrete cavern does its job well enough.

Also, lol @ the Oakland dig. Damn Al Davis (RIP) fucked it up with building those upper decks!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Oakland Coliseum is so terrible. It's literally falling apart like the Gardiner, with huge chunks of concrete breaking off. Security at the ball park (at least last time I went in.. 2000?) was highest I've seen at any ballpark. They were batting down half the people entering the stadium. It's also around absolutely nothing. Built in the middle of nowhere. Playing baseball in a dilapidated football stadium. People of Oakland have it rough.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
It's sad, we literally built this monstrosity in that small time period that everyone was going stupid over domes and astroturf. If the plans got delayed even by a few years we'd probably end up with something a lot better than what we have now. :(

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Why are you guys hating on Skydome? It's an iconic part of Toronto and it's a part of us all.. a part of us all.. a part of us all! Sorry to repeat myself but it'll help you remember.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So salty about that. If any other team won a World Series like that it would be played non-stop for years to come. Because it was in Toronto it's never even mentioned.

That is a top 3 World Series moment of all time but it's never talked about.

It's actually mentioned in US media more than you might think. When it comes to all time World Series list and what not at least.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I feel like climbing the CN tower steps one day, do they allow that on regular days or do I wait for a charity event of some kind?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like climbing the CN tower steps one day, do they allow that on regular days or do I wait for a charity event of some kind?
Event. And word of warning try to be one of the first to go up.

Someone I know works there and I asked a ton of questions about this climb.

It's hot as hell inside. People throw up. People sweat. People fart. People...do god knows what else. But the overwhelming experience is hot and stanky

cbox

Awesome stuff. Aside from the A&C games ones, I've never seen any of those before.

Also, speaking of graffiti, how long has that awesome new graffiti been up on the the back of the Midas store you see on the Bloor subway line?

This one:
dw156o7.jpg

It's amazing!

They redid it before Last december, amazing eh? I pass by every day and stare at it.

krae_man

So salty about that. If any other team won a World Series like that it would be played non-stop for years to come. Because it was in Toronto it's never even mentioned.

That is a top 3 World Series moment of all time but it's never talked about.

It was in Big Daddy!

Heading out of town?

Actually I am but that had nothing to do with the photo.

About 4000 Toronto FC fans are making the pilgrimage to Montreal this weekend to watch TFC vs Montreal Impact and I'm going with a group of 8 of us. Should be a ball.

The only bad thing is I noticed that there is a live UFC event in Montreal the same night so I expect thousands of idiots to be unleashed onto the streets of Montreal when that finishes. I'll bring some riot gear or something.

Willectro

Banned
Actually I am but that had nothing to do with the photo.

About 4000 Toronto FC fans are making the pilgrimage to Montreal this weekend to watch TFC vs Montreal Impact and I'm going with a group of 8 of us. Should be a ball.

The only bad thing is I noticed that there is a live UFC event in Montreal the same night so I expect thousands of idiots to be unleashed onto the streets of Montreal when that finishes. I'll bring some riot gear or something.

Soccer/Football fans have never been know to be violent, right? Only MMA fans.

IIRC there is like 10km between those 2 arenas anyway.

Taking the TTC between 2 and 4pm is like taking part in an elementary school field trip.

But, there are fewer people on the morning and evening rushes. All other things being equal I'll take the lower volume even if it means dealing with more kids who don't behave in public.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
When I did the 501 commute from Spadina every day, the pack streetcars were actually sort of fun. It's always interesting trying to jam yourself into the mass of people and positioning yourself to not be on the steps. Usually I had a seat by Ossington. The only really miserable times are when you have someone trying to eat food in a packed streetcar, or someone is coughing all over you.

But, there are fewer people on the morning and evening rushes. All other things being equal I'll take the lower volume even if it means dealing with more kids who don't behave in public.

The 301 Queen streetcar at 4:30am is where it's at. No kids, the drunk club goers are already home and you're probably one of three people on the streetcar.

Too bad the only time I've been on a streetcar at this hour was for a really early morning MRI.

When I did the 501 commute from Spadina every day, the pack streetcars were actually sort of fun. It's always interesting trying to jam yourself into the mass of people and positioning yourself to not be on the steps. Usually I had a seat by Ossington. The only really miserable times are when you have someone trying to eat food in a packed streetcar, or someone is coughing all over you.

You and I have different ideas of fun, lol

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
You and I have different ideas of fun, lol
Reminds me of when I went to Japan. I had seen videos of these fabled people pushers with white gloves who made sure you were packed in as much as possible.

I was lied to. I was there during rush hour on the Yamanote line (friend lived in Shibuya) and I never got pushed in once.

Reminds me of when I went to Japan. I had seen videos of these fabled people pushers with white gloves who made sure you were packed in as much as possible.

I was lied to. I was there during rush hour on the Yamanote line (friend lived in Shibuya) and I never got pushed in once.

Well THAT's disappointing.

Oh well. I suppose I'll just have to find another reason to visit Japan. Like the food or something.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Well THAT's disappointing.

Oh well. I suppose I'll just have to find another reason to visit Japan. Like the food or something.
Also ate ramen like 90% of the time there too. :( only sushi place we could find that was still open was some all you can eat place. Still better than the one at the meet up though.

I battled my Japanese buddy to the death, matching him roll for roll and piece for piece. Fucker was able to eat a lot for a skinny ass Japanese guy...

Was more epic than kave_man vs kraftwerk round 2.

Top Bottom