• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Had dinner at Jacobs and Co last night. Good lord I love their steaks. SO GOOD.
Man...I really want to go there. I need to plan it some day with the wife. I've heard its marvelous. What did you order exactly and how much?

Edit: Krafty, I think it would be more than 2000 and EM would be the one responsible for tipping

And since it's you, alpha, take a look at this article.

CRA employee fired over vidya game

http://www.polygon.com/features/2013/3/7/4071136/he-got-fired-for-making-a-game-i-get-this-call

Had dinner at Jacobs and Co last night. Good lord I love their steaks. SO GOOD.

I want to go to a nice steakhouse so badly but my wife is vegetarian and she is the only person I would ever go to an expensive restaurant with.

Post photos of your steak so I can live the dream through you...

Let's go together added_time......*wink*

I'm not opposed to the idea but don't forget that I'm the ugly guy in this thread!

GyMT5nW.jpg

source

cbox

The skydome along with the cn tower is what made up the skyline before all those condos blocked it. So they're iconic and I never want them to change. Fuck you Rogers for renaming it. I'll always remember driving downtown with my parents and seeing the city, it was amazing - still is today and especially at night.

And since it's you, alpha, take a look at this article.

CRA employee fired over vidya game

http://www.polygon.com/features/2013/3/7/4071136/he-got-fired-for-making-a-game-i-get-this-call
Yeah I know. This story floated around the toronto scene for the last month and made pretty big waves. It's certainly interesting to say the least. I found it even more ironic because I practically did the same thing (half venting about a job in a game), but with the difference that he was still working there, and I had been out of the system for a year.

2000 dollars only. No tip

I once thought about doing the meetup at a place like that. We shall have a $2000 bill.

How much would we tip???!!!

I want to go to a nice steakhouse so badly but my wife is vegetarian and she is the only person I would ever go to an expensive restaurant with.

Post photos of your steak so I can live the dream through you...
I would assume the average meal would be $100.

Here's the over-exposed (it was a pretty dim litted place) photo of the porterhouse that I split with my sister
40 oz. ~$160.

The skydome along with the cn tower is what made up the skyline before all those condos blocked it. So they're iconic and I never want them to change. Fuck you Rogers for renaming it. I'll always remember driving downtown with my parents and seeing the city, it was amazing - still is today and especially at night.

They should have gone with Rogers Skydome.

I've already mentioned this in previous Toronto threads but it's fresh on my mind since I'm eating one right now:

"Gryfe's Bagels" are the best in the city BY FAR. It's like a croissant in bagel form. You really need to have it fresh though to really get it.

Actually, I've never had a bagel anywhere that I like as much as these. New York style and Montreal style don't do it for me like these do (even though I love those too). I have a Gryfe's bagel for breakfast every day (some stores carry them if you don't live near the bakery - like Whole Foods among others)

Quadratic

I like those bagels too. And you're right about how they're not a Montreal or NYC bagel. It's hard for me to get them but on the rare occasion that I'm craving one I'll trek up and buy few. Because you know.... they taste better.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
We bake most of our own bread, including our own New York style bagels. I'll give Gryfe's Bagels a shot if I'm ever that far north (probably visiting Video Games Plus).

Windam

Scaley member
Live in Scarborough (cue the jokes), thinking of going downtown for a few. Never been to A&C or Game Centre so I was wondering for those of you who have been, which would be a better bet to get a good price on a PS2 or some old PS1 games or new releases?

I do all my game shopping at Amazon/FS/BB/EB. :(

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Live in Scarborough (cue the jokes), thinking of going downtown for a few. Never been to A&C or Game Centre so I was wondering for those of you who have been, which would be a better bet to get a good price on a PS2 or some old PS1 games or new releases?

Game Centre has the better prices by far, but a much smaller collection for older generations (although their PS2 selection is okay, their PS1 selection is bare bones). A&C has all variety of games, systems, imports, magazines, toys, collectibles, but most come with a hefty price tag. You can check their list (however outdated) to get an idea about what they have in, but they don't list prices online. They will however answer emails promptly and give out prices that way.

They're about 20 minutes walk distance apart, via Bloor St, or three subway stops. No reason not to visit both, unless you're running short on time. The Labyrinth and The Beguiling and even BMV Books are nearby A&C, if comics / manga / illustration books interest you at all too. If you walk down Yonge St from Game Centre though, you have One Million Comix, Silver Snail and Hairy Tarantula.

Game Centre.

I like A & C but they are over priced. Game Centre actually has pretty good prices on used games.

A & C may have better selection though.

You should check out both if you have the chance. It's a 15-20 minute walk from Yonge to Spadina along Bloor.

Windam

Scaley member
Game Centre has the better prices by far, but a much smaller collection for older generations (although their PS2 selection is okay, their PS1 selection is bare bones). A&C has all variety of games, systems, imports, magazines, toys, collectibles, but most come with a hefty price tag. You can check their list (however outdated) to get an idea about what they have in, but they don't list prices online. They will however answer emails promptly and give out prices that way.

They're about 20 minutes walk distance apart, via Bloor St, or three subway stops. No reason not to visit both, unless you're running short on time. The Labyrinth and The Beguiling and even BMV Books are nearby A&C, if comics / manga / illustration books interest you at all too. If you walk down Yonge St from Game Centre though, you have One Million Comix, Silver Snail and Hairy Tarantula.

Game Centre.

I like A & C but they are over priced. Game Centre actually has pretty good prices on used games.

A & C may have better selection though.

You should check out both if you have the chance. It's a 15-20 minute walk from Yonge to Spadina along Bloor.

Thanks for the heads up and suggestions, guys! I'll head to both, and I'm looking to trade in a few games I don't play anymore, so hopefully prices won't be too high (blah limited budget). I'll also be sure to check out a couple of those bookstores. :)

Here's the over-exposed (it was a pretty dim litted place) photo of the porterhouse that I split with my sister

original.jpg

Holy shit! That looks delicious!

They should have gone with Rogers Skydome.

That would have been way better for the general public. However, they don't give a shit about us and they knew damn well that if it was called "Rogers Skydome" then everyone would just skip the Rogers part and keep calling it "Skydome".

Air Canada actually must be pissed at everyone saying the "ACC" for that reason.

I fucking can't stand corporate names for anything and wish cities would just ban that garbage but that ship has long sailed.

Mr. F

Banned
The Lightbox has a pretty awesome series this month, I'll be going to a few for sure. Seeing The Iron Giant, Mask of the Phantasm, TMNT, and The Rocketeer on the big screen is too tempting to pass up.

I'm likely late on this, but having not been on GAF in a few weeks I thought I'd share.

thabiz

MLSE raising ticket prices next year. fuckin assholes.

Calling it a “cost of living” increase. Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment will hike ticket prices for the Raptors and Maple Leafs by about 2.5 per cent across the board starting for the 2013-14 seasons.

Windam

Scaley member
A&C has won my heart. Stopped out at The Labyrinth first and picked up the 3-in-1 first edition of FullMetal Alchemist, then went to A&C. They had a complete copy of Threads of Fate. Fina-fuckin'-lly. Didn't get a chance to check out Game Centre. Maybe Friday when I'm back downtown for the U of T open house.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
MLSE raising ticket prices next year. fuckin assholes.

Calling it a “cost of living” increase. Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment will hike ticket prices for the Raptors and Maple Leafs by about 2.5 per cent across the board starting for the 2013-14 seasons.

Got an email today from the Raptors about this.

They seem to ask for the money earlier and earlier every year. :T

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
and if we have a good year, guess what happens next year.

I cant express enough my outright joy that Rogers and Bell owns these teams.

Comparably to other sports, even the most expensive baseball stadiums have better value because of the number of games played. Even in San Francisco, after winning two world series (and having an incredibly nice ball park), there are tickets for under $20 for almost every game. Matchups will dictate a lot of prices too. Astros / Jays game next year if we win 90, will still be dirt cheap in the normal cheap seats. Not arguing that prices won't go up with success, but that's business. And at least it's better than MLSE with their 'cost of living' increase while delivering terrible sports teams every year.

Holy shit! That looks delicious!

That would have been way better for the general public. However, they don't give a shit about us and they knew damn well that if it was called "Rogers Skydome" then everyone would just skip the Rogers part and keep calling it "Skydome".

Air Canada actually must be pissed at everyone saying the "ACC" for that reason.

I fucking can't stand corporate names for anything and wish cities would just ban that garbage but that ship has long sailed.

If we banned corporate sponsorships we wouldn't have stadia in which to play. And, come to think of it, most school pools would be closed. Community Recreation Centres aren't exactly cash cows.

As for Skydome/Rogers Centre, I don't know a soul born in Toronto who calls it the "Rogers Centre" unless specifically prompted to do so. Hell, even Union Station kept its "Skydome" sign up until mid 2011.

If we banned corporate sponsorships we wouldn't have stadia in which to play.

Do you honestly believe that?
We always had stadiums to play in before the stupid sponsorships. They just found another way to make money and shoved it down our throats because we are too spineless to ever say no to anything.

Do you honestly believe that?
We always had stadiums to play in before the stupid sponsorships. They just found another way to make money and shoved it down our throats because we are too spineless to ever say no to anything.

Yes, because concessions and ticket sales used to outscore maintenance and staffing (etc) fees.

For massive stadia, that is generally the case only for successful teams. And MLSE.

For the rest of the city, including municipal community centres, P3s are the reason that they remain standing. There are not enough budget funds to pay to staff the facilities or to offer the programs without the capital investment and continuing involvement of corporate and private donors.

Or, culling funds from other government programs that are just as important and necessary for the health and well-being of citizens.

I just googled Game of Thrones. I had no idea what you guys were talking about but I see now that it's a tv show.
At first, I thought you guys were saying "Game of Thongs" which sounds slightly more interesting.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I just googled Game of Thrones. I had no idea what you guys were talking about but I see now that it's a tv show.
At first, I thought you guys were saying "Game of Thongs" which sounds slightly more interesting.
A TV show based on the great book series A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin.

Top Bottom