• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

walei

Hi All I'm a noob here...

I grew up in Toronto and working in Asia for the past 8 years... I miss the city so much and really want to move back and settle there. Only problem is I work as a PM in the semiconductor industry and EE jobs in Toronto are dropping like flies, and I don't have the courage to just drop everything and move back before I can secure some job there. Friends back home are getting laid off left and right and I'm a wuss when it comes to taking risks that can jeopardize my financial stability.

Whenever I hear the song "The Place I'll Return Someday" from FFIX I always think of Toronto :(

I guess I will visit this page when I'm home sick... -_-

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Cheap ass tickets and an entertaining sport?

Advantage: Lacrosse. :D

I'm waiting for that entertaining sport, boogie...

I grew up in Toronto and working in Asia for the past 8 years... I miss the city so much and really want to move back and settle there. Only problem is I work as a PM in the semiconductor industry and EE jobs in Toronto are dropping like flies, and I don't have the courage to just drop everything and move back before I can secure some job there. Friends back home are getting laid off left and right and I'm a wuss when it comes to taking risks that can jeopardize my financial stability.

Whenever I hear the song "The Place I'll Return Someday" from FFIX I always think of Toronto :(

Yes visit the thread. If there is another knock I have against this city, besides the crappy TTC and roads, it's the lack of jobs/careers.

This doesn't seem to affect other provinces and cities like Alberta and Saskatchewan. I remember my cousin visiting from Edmonton and he just said I'm a matter of fact tone to 'just apply for jobs. Try applying for IBM or Bell or Dell'.

If it was only that easy...

I can only say the jobs are there but I know a lot of qualified people just aren't getting jobs. The HR people here need to get their heads out of their asses and start hiring instead of posting for preferred candidates and to gauge the market so they can low ball you afterwards. And everything seems to be a goddamn contract.

Friend with a Masters degree is working at a goddamn bookstore as a cashier on fulltime contract...

If a job is the issue, I'd look into Calgary and Regina. Supposedly really easy to get jobs there and even the crap jobs give good pay. Example was a clerk processing receipts making 40k....wtf that's more than me and I deal with some specialized archaic ass programs.

Whatever you decide, good luck, bro.

Oppo

Yes visit the thread. If there is another knock I have against this city, besides the crappy TTC and roads, it's the lack of jobs/careers.

This doesn't seem to affect other provinces and cities like Alberta and Saskatchewan. I remember my cousin visiting from Edmonton and he just said I'm a matter of fact tone to 'just apply for jobs. Try applying for IBM or Bell or Dell'.

I think it's just pure population pressure. 4th biggest city in N.A. and all that.

Doesn't make it suck any less though.

ORadk0Z.jpg

source

Sober

Just came out of the Game Of Thrones exhibit and it was pretty damn cool.

For anyone who didn't get tickets you can probably go in and try to get rush tickets right at the kiosk in the main lobby, I think it was between 11 to 7. It was kinda small and when they let a wave of people in it would get crowded for a bit but they didn't really seem to care to much about having you only spend your hour there and then leaving.

A PM is a PM is a PM. I'd say a good PM is about as stable/in demand as any job ever.

KJA

Hey, if any of you are on March Break or simply have some free time to kill, you should definitely check out the Game 2.0 exhibit that just opened at the Ontario Science Centre.

https://www.ontariosciencecentre.ca/Calendar/112/

It was pretty cool to play all of these old systems and arcade cabinets (did I mention they were free-to-play?). It was like a gamer's dream come true. The only drawback is that there were a shitload of kids running around, making it next to impossible to focus on the history details on some of the set pieces.

As for retro game stores in Toronto, I find A&C Games incredibly expensive. That store, however, seems like it's the only place that carries Famicom games.

Hey, if any of you are on March Break or simply have some free time to kill, you should definitely check out the Game 2.0 exhibit that just opened at the Ontario Science Centre.

https://www.ontariosciencecentre.ca/Calendar/112/

It was pretty cool to play all of these old systems and arcade cabinets (did I mention they were free-to-play?). It was like a gamer's dream come true. The only drawback is that there were a shitload of kids running around, making it next to impossible to focus on the history details on some of the set pieces.

Thanks for the heads up! Looks like it's open til September so I'll definitely get over there to check it out!

KJA

Also, if anybody likes movies, the TIFF Lightbox is showing 2001: A Space Odyssey and Vertigo in 70mm film until next Thursday.

walei

A PM is a PM is a PM. I'd say a good PM is about as stable/in demand as any job ever.

Haha I hope so...I do have my PMP certification so right now I'm exploring what other fields I can get into besides the tech industry. My education background is Elec. Eng. but Toronto really isn't that good of a market for it unless you go into pure software...

I can only say the jobs are there but I know a lot of qualified people just aren't getting jobs. The HR people here need to get their heads out of their asses and start hiring instead of posting for preferred candidates and to gauge the market so they can low ball you afterwards. And everything seems to be a goddamn contract.

Friend with a Masters degree is working at a goddamn bookstore as a cashier on fulltime contract...

If a job is the issue, I'd look into Calgary and Regina. Supposedly really easy to get jobs there and even the crap jobs give good pay. Example was a clerk processing receipts making 40k....wtf that's more than me and I deal with some specialized archaic ass programs.

Whatever you decide, good luck, bro.

I visited a friend in Calgary when I was en route to Toronto to visit my parents in Feb, and man the oil industry there is the thing to be in. He took me to his company's corporate box for the Calgary Flames and it sure was sweet. Meanwhile my friend from Toronto who went to Yellowknife with me on the same trip got laid off a week before we met up and is having trouble finding a job, she was a Elec Eng like me... I know it's all anecdotal but it's a bit discouraging.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Figured as much. Good luck to your friend, and it may be anecdotal but it's a fair assessment fr what I've seen, heard, and have been through.

I've gone through the whole 20 resumes a day, but those stupid keyword searches on company websites and lazy ass HR along with scared corporate are making for slow hiring.

Trades are in very high demand though so there is that...

As for me, I've been a customs rater, law clerk, tutor, banker, telemarketer, and now I'm in directory support. This is all within the past 5 years and they aren't the greatest job in the world.

Hell, I tried to apply for the second career funding and for some fucking reason they changed the rules in the middle of my app. I went from 95% guaranteed to get funding to 'you're too educated and qualified'.

So,the job, hiring, and support industry is a fucking mess in the GTA...even the job fairs I went to had a lot of 'go to Saskatchewan' booths.

This is opposite of 6 years ago when I came back and applied for jobs and I had a few to choose from and got interviews with regularity.

Oppo

Nice. It's about damn time.

I know they have to test them and everything but the TTC sure seems to take it's time rolling this stuff out. I don't know why they need 18 months after delivery.

Haha I hope so...I do have my PMP certification so right now I'm exploring what other fields I can get into besides the tech industry. My education background is Elec. Eng. but Toronto really isn't that good of a market for it unless you go into pure software...

I work for an ad agency/design studio and i'd say over half our employees are PMs and we're always, always hiring more.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Really looking forward having POP on every route, with Presto payments via the back doors.

And let's not forget the dreaded face to face seating. Although I don't seem to mind as much as some.

yeah. are they only going to be used on dedicated lanes? i can foresee some traffic nightmares if they aren't.

edit: Oops, I read the specs slightly wrong.

New streetcar is about 20 feet longer than the old ALRV, width is almost exactly the same and height is about a foot more.

This photo will give you an idea about the size of this thing. While it is quite a bit larger, the giant windows and low loading nature of it make it appear even larger.

izzw7mluswVu3.jpg

Are they going to use it at Spadina station? Almost seems too big.

According to a Torontoist interview, the Spadina line will be the first to have these streetcars. I imagine they will only fit one, or maybe two into the loading area at a time, unlike now where they cram three in.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
They look quite nice, the city's transportation might start looking modern.

Though, how long until that white turns yellow I wonder.

Rinoa

In Spadina they can have two at a time, maybe the first one sticking out further ahead and the second one with part of it at the back.. dunno, assuming they can control which doors open so people can load/unload on at certain ones while the doors in tunnel stay closed.

krae_man

Really looking forward having POP on every route, with Presto payments via the back doors.

And let's not forget the dreaded face to face seating. Although I don't seem to mind as much as some.

edit: Oops, I read the specs slightly wrong.

New streetcar is about 20 feet longer than the old ALRV, width is almost exactly the same and height is about a foot more.

This photo will give you an idea about the size of this thing. While it is quite a bit larger, the giant windows and low loading nature of it make it appear even larger.

izzw7mluswVu3.jpg

According to a Torontoist interview, the Spadina line will be the first to have these streetcars. I imagine they will only fit one, or maybe two into the loading area at a time, unlike now where they cram three in.

Those photos make it look like they only have like 10 seats in them.

Face to face seating is pretty dumb though. Everyone is either awkwardly trying to look away or do something else, or awkwardly staring right at each other.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Face to face seating is pretty dumb though. Everyone is either awkwardly trying to look away or do something else, or awkwardly staring right at each other.

I can sit across from people on the subway, GO Train, back of the streetcar, or front of the bus already without feeling uncomfortable. I guess it helps when half the bus is doing something on their smart phone. There will be seats that don't face each other as well, so no need to worry too much.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I had a terrible TTC day, almost fell twice. First time it was my fault and got a cramp when getting up to leave the subway this morning and basically collapsed into the door.

Then on the way home the bus driver decided to take off like fucking speed racer and all the standing passengers almost fell, and the lady behind me rammed me and this other guy with her baby carriage by accident when trying to steady herself.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I had a terrible TTC day, almost fell twice. First time it was my fault and got a cramp when getting up to leave the subway this morning and basically collapsed into the door.

Then on the way home the bus driver decided to take off like fucking speed racer and all the standing passengers almost fell, and the lady behind me rammed me and this other guy with her baby carriage by accident when trying to steady herself.

I recommend reporting the later to @TTCHelps on Twitter, with details of the time and if you recorded it, vehicle number.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I can sit across from people on the subway, GO Train, back of the streetcar, or front of the bus already without feeling uncomfortable. I guess it helps when half the bus is doing something on their smart phone. There will be seats that don't face each other as well, so no need to worry too much.
Pfft that's cause you're a weirdo.

I will sit across from you and stare at you at the next meet up...

I'd probably lose

Mr. F

Banned
I don't have a problem with facing seats, but it sort of seems like an inefficient use of space (but what do I know). Also seems like there isn't much leg room, but that might just be the photo.

Rinoa

Just had a Banh Mi Boys sandwich. So good and pretty cheap for how big it was! How did I not know about this place?

I still find it a ripoff, go to chinatown for the reg ban mi 2 dollar!

Did you try the fries?

You should report this, do you have the vehicle number? Or at least the time+route? Not sure if they still do the 'three strikes' for getting in trobule and this should constitute as a strike on someone's record.

MikeDip

Just report it anyway. Time and route number is usually enough. Vehicle number if you want to make sure the driver is warned.

You should report this, do you have the vehicle number? Or at least the time+route? Not sure if they still do the 'three strikes' for getting in trobule and this should constitute as a strike on someone's record.

Yeah I remember the time and route so I will report it.

Lurkee

Neo Member
Speaking of TTC, are drivers allowed to let people off at the intersection before the stop when it's a red light? The 35 and 36 buses never have a problem opening the front doors to let people off and make their connecting transfers, but yesterday when I was on the 41 Keele, the driver refused, causing me to have to wait for another 96 bus at Wilson. I'm patient, so it wasn't a big deal, but I could see this annoying/pissing people off needlessly. Is it a liability to let passengers off at the light, or was this driver just being a prick?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Heh, I'll follow this TTChelps and see if anything is done. Mostly a lot of apologies and some dumbass fucking people tweeting with stupid shit.

MikeDip

Speaking of TTC, are drivers allowed to let people off at the intersection before the stop when it's a red light? The 35 and 36 buses never have a problem opening the front doors to let people off and make their connecting transfers, but yesterday when I was on the 41 Keele, the driver refused, causing me to have to wait for another 96 bus at Wilson. I'm patient, so it wasn't a big deal, but I could see this annoying/pissing people off needlessly. Is it a liability to let passengers off at the light, or was this driver just being a prick?

I've seen people being declined for this a lot recently, but I think it's up to the driver to decide? Especially since they can drop you off between stops after 9pm, so the idea in general can't be too frowned upon.

Heh, I'll follow this TTChelps and see if anything is done. Mostly a lot of apologies and some dumbass fucking people tweeting with stupid shit.

I've never used twitter and have no idea how to, so I was going to report it though contact info on the site, probably by phone. The last time I called for some information the people were extremely helpful. I'll let you know if they tell me anything interesting though.

Rinoa

I've seen people being declined for this a lot recently, but I think it's up to the driver to decide? Especially since they can drop you off between stops after 9pm, so the idea in general can't be too frowned upon.

I've never used twitter and have no idea how to, so I was going to report it though contact info on the site, probably by phone. The last time I called for some information the people were extremely helpful. I'll let you know if they tell me anything interesting though.

The drivers letting off is super situational and really depends on driver's call. Depends on the time of day, how much they're off schedule, and safety.

I haven't used the stopping between stops before though, has anyone? I've yet to get the balls to ask for it. I get home very late and have to walk by 3 sketchy bars with men always outside being jerks & car repair shops, from all of them I get honked/hollered at every time, even in the morning. Not to mention they park their cars right on the sidewalk, causing people to walk through traffic at some points.

Complaining by phone works, but even better is going to Davisville in person. I've had neighbors with special access needs who had to complain a few times about the drivers for various reasons, doing so in person worked and we got new drivers in the end.

MikeDip

The drivers letting off is super situational and really depends on driver's call. Depends on the time of day, how much they're off schedule, and safety.

I haven't used the stopping between stops before though, has anyone? I've yet to get the balls to ask for it. I get home very late and have to walk by 3 sketchy bars with men always outside being jerks & car repair shops, from all of them I get honked/hollered at every time, even in the morning. Not to mention they park their cars right on the sidewalk, causing people to walk through traffic at some points.

Complaining by phone works, but even better is going to Davisville in person. I've had neighbors with special access needs who had to complain a few times about the drivers for various reasons, doing so in person worked and we got new drivers in the end.

The only time I got off between stops is when I had a super nice driver who saw me standing beside the door and said to just signal him when I wanted off. I've never actually asked for it but I've seen a few people use it when coming home late from school.

Something tells me that they're told that they should only let passengers on and off at designated stops, all other factors being equal.

But, as a frequent user of the 7 (Bathurst), it's fairly routine for the driver to let folks off on the southeast side of Bathurst & St. Clair while waiting at the red - and then doing the regular pickup/dropoff at the signed stop on the north side. As others have mentioned, I suspect it has a lot to do with what the driver can safely do in traffic conditions.

As for the "Between Stops" dropoff after 9, I've only ever used it once; the driver didn't offer but, only three other people on the bus at 2AM, didn't seem to mind much.

Lurkee

Neo Member

Oh wow, I didn't really think that my scenario was the same as the late night stop request service the TTC has, but it's essentially the same thing. The difference is that I think the drivers are more willing/obligated to let people off between stops at night because it's more of an increased safety thing. It was originally for women too, but I think now it's marketed to everyone.

And in your case, you have every right to ask the bus driver stop somewhere closer to your home. The situation you described is exactly why the program is in place! :)

Request Stop Program
The Request Stop program is available to all customers travelling alone by bus between 9:00pm and 5:00am. Request Stop allows any customer feeling vulnerable to get off the bus between regular TTC stops.

The request should be made at least one TTC stop ahead of the desired location.
The Operator must be able to stop safely in order to meet your request.
Exit the bus via the front doors, the rear doors will remain closed.
Reminder: Request Stop is not available on streetcars. Streetcars travel in the middle of the roadway too far from the sidewalk to let customers exit the vehicle safely at an unmarked stop.

Andddddd, I just found the answer to my question:

Stops Between Stops
TTC Operators may exercise discretion when it comes to stopping their bus between regular TTC stops for any customers expressing a genuine need to exit the vehicle, regardless of gender or time of day. The only restrictions are:

Whatever the location, the TTC vehicle must be able to stop in a safe manner.
Whatever the reason to stop between stops, the person making the request must truly be in need (i.e., personal safety or disabled).

Source: http://www.ttc.ca/TTC_Accessibility/Easier_access_on_the_TTC/Riding_the_bus.jsp

Something tells me that they're told that they should only let passengers on and off at designated stops, all other factors being equal.

But, as a frequent user of the 7 (Bathurst), it's fairly routine for the driver to let folks off on the southeast side of Bathurst & St. Clair while waiting at the red - and then doing the regular pickup/dropoff at the signed stop on the north side. As others have mentioned, I suspect it has a lot to do with what the driver can safely do in traffic conditions.

Yeah, that's what happens on the 36 (Finch) and 35 (Jane) routes too.

Top Bottom