• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Oppo

You sound mad.

Do you want to talk about it?

Nah. I just wish FanExpo were better. It's not like there's a shortage of sports support in the city. I get crotchety when it invades a bastion of nerddom like that. ;)

Also, extra crotchety from this April snow. I hate it when winter overstays it's welcome.

Also, my content slider is not behaving. I think I will have some indian food now.

I'm glad the season is finally starting again so I can finally chuckle at this classic:

202uUGa.jpg

Quick

Banned
Apparently we also set a record for most pitches dropped by a catcher in a single game at 4 misses. It's gotta be that knuckle ball.

Yeah, heard that earlier in the broadcast. So much for Arencebia and Dickey working together in the off-season.
I joke, I'm sure they'll get it together as the season continues.

jl4855

Yeah, heard that earlier in the broadcast. So much for Arencebia and Dickey working together in the off-season.
I joke, I'm sure they'll get it together as the season continues.

pretty sure blanco will start R.A.'s next game lol

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Not Toronto related, but G&M had a hilarious video article on "why you shouldn't give up cable'. The best part was " "1.3% percent of Canadians unsubscribed while 52,000 new subscriptions joined". Wouldn't want to list that 1.3% as a number because it's actually a higher number than 52,000. Hard hitting advertising reporting here, folks.

/morningrant

People of Toronto need a lesson in walking, subway, and elevator etiquette. Everyone is off in their own world.

Step to the right, people. Step to the right..

And don't forget, we're in bicycle season now. I've already had plenty of people blazing past me on sidewalks (right next to dedicated bicycle lanes) without any sort of bell, or warning. All the more scary while I'm walking my dog.

Willectro

Banned

And don't forget, we're in bicycle season now. I've already had plenty of people blazing past me on sidewalks (right next to dedicated bicycle lanes) without any sort of bell, or warning. All the more scary while I'm walking my dog.

I say this as a cyclist: people who ride their bike on sidewalks are scum. There is absolutely no excuse. I don't care if there isn't a bike lane, or the road is jammed with cars, or you are riding really slow. It should be legal to clothesline them. Morning rant also completed.

cbox

I say this as a cyclist: people who ride their bike on sidewalks are scum. There is absolutely no excuse. I don't care if there isn't a bike lane, or the road is jammed with cars, or you are riding really slow. It should be legal to clothesline them. Morning rant also completed.

Agreed 100%, as a fellow cyclist ( though I avoid the downtown core like the plague ) they're just idiots.

It's amazing how many people I've bodychecked walking through the subway during rush hour. So many clueless people just stop right at the foot of the stairs and I just cross check them out of the way haha, can't help it!

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I finally went to Taro's yesterday and man was it delicious. Best sushi I've had in the city so far. I thought it was expensive at first, but they give you such huge cuts of top quality fish that it's well worth it. I wish they had more seating room though.

Also, first time on the Sheppard line! Man is that line deserted or what, even during rush hour.

Roto13

You mean it's NOT legal?

Maybe I should stop doing it.

I'm not going to stop doing it.

whitehawk

Banned
Not Toronto related, but G&M had a hilarious video article on "why you shouldn't give up cable'. The best part was " "1.3% percent of Canadians unsubscribed while 52,000 new subscriptions joined". Wouldn't want to list that 1.3% as a number because it's actually a higher number than 52,000. Hard hitting advertising reporting here, folks.

/morningrant
Wow. That video was basically an advertisement paid by the cable companies. There's no reason not to cut cable right now (unless you watch a lot of sports). But I believe with that local games problem, you can just use a proxy or VPN to get around it.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Wow. That video was basically an advertisement paid by the cable companies. There's no reason not to cut cable right now (unless you watch a lot of sports). But I believe with that local games problem, you can just use a proxy or VPN to get around it.

Yes, it's not tough to bypass MLB.tv and other services black outs to get your home market games. I'm guessing even something free like Media Hint will do it. There are, of course, more nefarious ways to find game broadcasts as well.

The video made me laugh more than it made me angry. Media companies (BCE) trying to protect their interest, I guess. Maybe they should have made a video telling me why I need a newspaper subscription next.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Not every single person in Canada has a cable subscription. Its 1.3% of households with cable.

Correct. Although it is still a misleading number, which is exactly why they listed a percentage for subscription droppers, rather than the actual number.

Statscan (www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/comm01a-eng.htm) says there were 8,309,300 cable subscribers in 2011. A 1.5% reduction would represent 108,021.

edit: Or like Roto said below, they could be manipulating numbers further. We don't really know, but either way, they're talking out of their asses.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, it's not tough to bypass MLB.tv and other services black outs to get your home market games. I'm guessing even something free like Media Hint will do it. There are, of course, more nefarious ways to find game broadcasts as well.

The video made me laugh more than it made me angry. Media companies (BCE) trying to protect their interest, I guess. Maybe they should have made a video telling me why I need a newspaper subscription next.
I don't think media hint works with nhl Centre ice though?

Correct. Although it is still a misleading number, which is exactly why they listed a percentage for subscription droppers, rather than the actual number.

Statscan (www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/comm01a-eng.htm) says there were 8,309,300 cable subscribers in 2011. A 1.5% reduction would represent 108,021.

edit: Or like Roto said below, they could be manipulating numbers further. We don't really know, but either way, they're talking out of their asses.

It's interesting because Bell owns a 15% stake in G&M.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
With the way the media has been polishing the BJs knob, you'd think they'd already won the world series. Still early yet.

Bah just watch the Leafs make the playoffs and get eliminated in rd 1 instead

Top Bottom