• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

yXht9zm.jpg

source

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So apparently Ford was the the only person who voted against more shelter beds today. What a disgusting human being.

kFpkUmy.jpg

Mary Fragedakis Tweeted out it was 36 to 3, so I figured the Ford brothers and maybe Holyday. But Ford has a long history of being the only vote against on many proposals. Just remember, this is the man that voted against (although he ended up settling on it after Mammo's proposal was rejected) his own budget. There should be no surprises with anything he does.

Azih

Seriously, what do shelter beds do the curb the homeless issue in the first place?

Much like Food Banks shelter beds are, or at least were, meant to be temporary stopgap measures to help people desperately in need while the longer term issues are addressed.

They've now BECOME the long term solution which is a god damn shame.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I've been there before, I recognize the tree.
I've been there too. Over rated.

Can I jump on and then off the bandwagon?

Blue Jays! Still a chance for a 150 win season!

Fucking BJs losing to a scrub team like Cleveland. What do they have there and why would anybody want to go there? Another season of disappointment. Fuck this fucking team!

Willectro

Banned
Much like Food Banks shelter beds are, or at least were, meant to be temporary stopgap measures to help people desperately in need while the longer term issues are addressed.

They've now BECOME the long term solution which is a god damn shame.

Exactly, this is what I'm getting at.

Well, for one thing it helps them to not die and maybe to feel like people rather than an issue to be solved.

I think the feel good story of the person who is down on their luck and just needs a bed for a period of time to get back on their feet is not reflective of the majority of people who use shelter beds. I would imagine that many people in these shelters have mental or drug/alcohol abuse issues. I think to simply increase the number of beds is essentially just a poor attempt to hide the problem at hand. But when hasn't Toronto been about band-aid solutions?

Stet

Banned
Exactly, this is what I'm getting at.

I think the feel good story of the person who is down on their luck and just needs a bed for a period of time to get back on their feet is not reflective of the majority of people who use shelter beds. I would imagine that many people in these shelters have mental or drug/alcohol abuse issues. I think to simply increase the number of beds is essentially just a poor attempt to hide the problem at hand. But when hasn't Toronto been about band-aid solutions?

I didn't say anything about getting back on their feet. Even the homeless deserve to sleep on a bed once in a while. The problem is that you're defending Rob Ford for voting against this motion because beds "solve nothing" while at the same time he has absolutely no other plan.

Willectro

Banned
I didn't say anything about getting back on their feet. Even the homeless deserve to sleep on a bed once in a while. The problem is that you're defending Rob Ford for voting against this motion because beds "solve nothing" while at the same time he has absolutely no other plan.

Even I can't defend him anymore, lol. All I'm saying is council will approve this, and then never give it another thought. The solution is not an easy one, however.

Azih

Even I can't defend him anymore, lol. All I'm saying is council will approve this, and then never give it another thought. The solution is not an easy one, however.

I think the problem is that any real solutions would be way more expensive and way more painful then finding one or two new places to stick in some beds and hire a few more overstretched social workers to try to maintain the place.

Lack of affordable housing, lack of care spaces for mentally challenged people, etc etc is the real issue. A real honest attempt to tackle these things will be incredibly difficult (read: expensive).

I've had the pleasure of interacting with a couple of food bank officials who have told me that their clients often use food banks for a period of about 8 months, and then no longer need the food bank. More than half of their volunteers are former clients who want to "repay the favour".

I don't know if the same situation applies to shelter beds, but if it's any indication, shelters have an important role to play in turning lives around.

That's not to say the system through which we offer these services couldn't be improved, but it's something worth reflecting upon.

Dyno

Seriously, what do shelter beds do the curb the homeless issue in the first place?

Shelter beds alleviate the utter misery of being exposed to the bitter elements through the night. Some nights exposure can be deadly. Most nights however it is uncomfortable to the point of being quite painful. When sleeping exposed continues for a prolonged period of time, mental illness takes root. Indeed homelessness and mental illness go hand in hand in a 'chicken & egg' scenario.

So you provide some beds and a few social workers now or you take up the valuable time of various doctors, pharmacists, and nurses later on. Shelter beds make dollars and cents and you don't even have to show basic human empathy to be on board with this.

Quadratic

I've been playing Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on my 3DS and I wondered if any other TO Gaffers would consider meeting up for hunts once a month at a bar or coffee shop. I know Evilmario plays (open invitation), but I'm totally a novice in Monster Hunter so anyone else in the beginner level up for something like this? It's a good chance to socialize/drink and get phat loots.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I've been playing Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on my 3DS and I wondered if any other TO Gaffers would consider meeting up for hunts once a month at a bar or coffee shop. I know Evilmario plays (open invitation), but I'm totally a novice in Monster Hunter so anyone else in the beginner level up for something like this? It's a good chance to socialize/drink and get phat loots.
Generic Asian Hunter reporting for duty

Novice? Use the hammer....charge lvl 3 while dodging and attack with charge when monster open. Works on everything except those fuckface chickenshit water monsters. Worst. Design. Decison. Ever.

Evilmario?! Pfft! I'll hammer EM's shiny Canuck head! Oh, I went there, EM! I went there! ^_=

Oppo

Willectro further reinforcing my theory that conservatives lack an empathy gene. Like attached earlobes.

Willectro

Banned
Willectro further reinforcing my theory that conservatives lack an empathy gene. Like attached earlobes.

I just don't look at everything through rose-tinted glasses. I would rather assist people with a long term plan to possibly rehabilitate them instead of just giving them a crappy bed for the night. Check out a shelter one night and then tell me about empathy.

Top Bottom