• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

ahdurian

wkaCToU.png

Canada doing it right

jokkir

I need help or some guidance. I've been trying to find a job in my field (studied computer programming and also have a background in art/design) for the past few months but so far no luck finding one. I don't really have much experience so a entry level job is good but no one seems to want to hire me :( I've just been doing side projects for myself, my friends, and others to try and build my portfolio in the meantime.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I need help or some guidance. I've been trying to find a job in my field (studied computer programming and also have a background in art/design) for the past few months but so far no luck finding one. I don't really have much experience so a entry level job is good but no one seems to want to hire me :( I've just been doing side projects for myself, my friends, and others to try and build my portfolio in the meantime.
Might want to ping our resident dev here Alphatw00 via pm or twitter @haroldli for some more in-depth advice.

Other than that, Linkedin, recruiting agency, find connections and have them get your resume to someone who matters.

What time is it?

You guessed it.

Zakkushi time.

How many times a month?

It's still not enough

Actually guys, hail is more often than not a warm weather thing. So that's a team warm win.

I couldn't get a job in the IT industry for the life of me. I ended up starting at the bottom in a call centre, being the best and moving up. It's not easy. Worst case scenario though you can try that as long as it's a company that has a lot of need for programming skills. Sometimes you just need your fit in the door even if it isn't for the job you want.

Rinoa

at least this has the right skyline

11127889_10153243587703874_1199240044946172435_n.jpg

What kinda programmin do ya do? Got a portfolio?

ahdurian

Going for another surgery today in like 1.5 hours.
Finally getting the lump(aneurysm) that has been plaguing my fistula in my left arm for a month.
Thank God... This is going to be fun

How four buyers each found a Toronto house for under $500,000

SOLD: $430,000

LIST PRICE: $449,000

WHERE: Keele St. halfway between St. Clair and Eglinton Aves.

WHAT THEY GOT: Detached with no parking, 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom in “as is” condition, a 20-by-100-foot lot

SOLD: $435,000

LIST PRICE: $399,900

WHERE: Balfour Ave. in Danforth and Main St. area

WHAT THEY GOT: Rowhouse, no parking, 2+ bedrooms, 1 bathroom, a 12.5-by-100-foot lot

SOLD: $458,000

LIST PRICE: $469,900

WHERE: Corbett Ave. in St. Clair and Runnymede area

WHAT THEY GOT: detached, lane parking with garage, 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 16-by-112-foot lot

SOLD: $495,000

LIST PRICE: $499,000

WHERE: Rockwell Ave. in St. Clair and Caledonia area

WHAT THEY GOT: semi-detached, mutual drive, 3+ bedrooms, 3 bathrooms on 17.5-by-100-foot lot

As of this March, however, the average GTA home price hit $613,933.

But that includes resale condos, which now account for a considerable portion of overall GTA home sales and distract from the fact that the average price of a fully detached house in the 416 and 905 regions combined was $787,388 last month — and over $1 million in the sought-after city of Toronto.

Just curious, how many are home/condo owners in Toronto GAF?

jokkir

What kinda programmin do ya do? Got a portfolio?

I know C, C++, Java, HTML/CSS, Javascript, PHP, Perl, COBOL lol, mySQL, Polymer but I'm best with web languages so far, I think. I have a website that I made and I link to that if you want.

And thanks Kuro! I'll PM him. I'll also try to expand my search

krae_man

There was an article in the paper today about how the Union Pearson Express has a stop on the Kitchener Go line.

I thought cool maybe this will be a faster way to get to Pearson. Lol no. It's no faster then taking the Go Bus to square one, then the regular bus to the airport and twice the price.

explodet

I've been looking off and on, but scraping together a down payment, crazy Toronto prices and shoddy condos have made it kinda rough. Plus I don't pay a lot in rent right now.

There was an article in the paper today about how the Union Pearson Express has a stop on the Kitchener Go line.

I thought cool maybe this will be a faster way to get to Pearson. Lol no. It's no faster then taking the Go Bus to square one, then the regular bus to the airport and twice the price.
Speaking of the Union Pearson Express, there's something I want to get off my chest. I walk by the construction site of it to get to and from work, and I'm starting to wonder if they're missing something.

To get from street level to the platform, there are two really old elevators - one on opposite ends - zero escalators, and a whole lot of stairs. So unless they're also adding escalators from some place I haven't seen yet, people carrying a whole bunch of luggage are going to have a hell of a time unless they walk all the way into Union station itself.

I have a feeling that place is going to be a clusterfuck.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Renters for life!
:(
Just don't fucking ever move, because the rate at which apartment prices are rising is far exceeding the maximum they can increase your rent yearly.

Azih

Actually have a condo at Yonge/Finch that I'm trying to get rid of. Couldn't sell it in time when we moved to a house in Mississauga and that led to a last minute scramble to find renters. Not fun. We were incredibly lucky to find great tenants but being a landlord is not something I am cut out for.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Actually have a condo at Yonge/Finch that I'm trying to get rid of. Couldn't sell it in time when we moved to a house in Mississauga and that led to a last minute scramble to find renters. Not fun. We were incredibly lucky to find great tenants but being a landlord is not something I am cut out for.

I'm renting a condo there right now, and it seems like an area ripe for young tenants. I'm curious what kind of difficulties you found since my fiance and I are thinking of renting out her unit after we move into a townhouse.

Azih

I'm renting a condo there right now, and it seems like an area ripe for young tenants. I'm curious what kind of difficulties you found since my fiance and I are thinking of renting out her unit after we move into a townhouse.

Renting isn't too bad at all in my experience. Selling requires patience though and I can't afford that.

Azih

Ah, yeah the real estate market is all sorts of fucked.

May I ask which building your condo is?

Just north of the TTC parking lot on the east side of Yonge. The buildings with the maroon balconies right across from the blue ones on bishop. Really liked it there.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Just north of the TTC parking lot on the east side of Yonge. The buildings with the maroon balconies right across from the blue ones on bishop. Really liked it there.

Nice, yeah I love this neighbourhood. Only thing missing is a T&T

ahdurian

Just got out of surgery and surprised how okay I'm feeling. Usually I'm knocked out for hours.
Right now just a crap ton of pain on my left arm
Can't wait to get some heavy painkillers

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Just got out of surgery and surprised how okay I'm feeling. Usually I'm knocked out for hours.
Right now just a crap ton of pain on my left arm
Can't wait to get some heavy painkillers
Heavy burgers too. Glad it went well for you.

I know C, C++, Java, HTML/CSS, Javascript, PHP, Perl, COBOL lol, mySQL, Polymer but I'm best with web languages so far, I think. I have a website that I made and I link to that if you want.

But for the love of everything holy, follow up with Rinoa first. I'd even give up Monster Hunter to work at SF.

ATF487

Anyone going to the Toronto festival of beer tomorrow?

I'm in Toronto for the first time. Wish it was a bit warmer* but enjoying it so far.

* seriously, wtf? We even have Spring in Boston

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone going to the Toronto festival of beer tomorrow?

I'm in Toronto for the first time. Wish it was a bit warmer* but enjoying it so far.

* seriously, wtf? We even have Spring in Boston

I would, but I'm still hung over from last meet up....

Yes...YESSS! It SHOULD be warmer...!

Entropia

No One Remembers
Not wanting to put my eggs all in one basket, but is the Yonge/Eglington area a good place to live?

Got called in for a follow up interview next week.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Not wanting to put my eggs all in one basket, but is the Yonge/Eglington area a good place to live?

I have a friend who lives in that area and loves it. The subway is right there, lots of restaurants, a small mall, movie theatre. The only grocery store is a Metro but a Loblaws will be opening very soon in the area. I'm somewhat familiar with the area because of my friend and also because Eglinton station is the one I use to go downtown.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

I've always heard a bit "pricey" and it has a younger demographic there but I've always viewed it as a pretty sweet area.

I currently live in the area

I absolutely love living here. Everything is just super convenient. Lot's of restaurants for whenever I want to eat out with family or friends. As far as groceries go there's a Metro with a Loblaws opening up soon (but if you want produce there's a Chinese green grocer near Yonge & Erskine that's good but god DAMN the lines sometimes). For shopping you have a few options in Eglinton Mall, and for electronics and such there's a Futursh- I mean Best Buy with a Canada Computers and NCIX basically next door. It might be better to take the train downtown to do shopping though. There's also an EB Games and Gamerama. Eglinton station being nearby is a fantastic plus though. Short train rides to both downtown and North York.

I think the big deal breaker though is the future of the area. A lot of big development and the LRT construction puts the area in a good spot for the next 10 years. That LRT needs to finish so they can toss a scramble crossing at the Y&E intersection god damn there's a lot of foot traffic in the area.

As far as downsides go rent is expensive as fuck and the area doesn't have a whole lot of personality. But in this case I'd definitely say the good outweighs the bad here. When it comes to the high rent you're basically paying for the convenience of the area so keep that in mind.

Rinoa

So sad about Lois :(

Used to sing the skinnamarink song and peanut butter all thru childhood with friends.

How four buyers each found a Toronto house for under $500,000

If you have the patience to play FFXI during the COP era and camp HNMs for full abjugation sets across multiple jobs and torture yourself with Japan midnight waiting needed missions while researching on 2ch how to clear... then waiting for houses to pop at lower prices in prime TO neighborhoods and visiting them may be for you! (2 houses get)

That was the kind of obsession it took. I had to take an easy mode (canter mode on career) job to make nice haus + dream wedding possible because that focus was my entire days and nights. I had everything I was looking for figured out, down to dark cherry hardwood flooring and glass subway tile backsplashes. I may have spent too much time at houzz.com...

Which langs are you stellar at and done hella stuff with though? And in what environments?

But for the love of everything holy, follow up with Rinoa first. I'd even give up Monster Hunter to work at SF.

As if you'd have to give it up to work here, lol! Salesforce is hiring 3 people here in Toronto but they're Marketing roles (PMM, Campaigns Managers) not dev. Though if ever applying for SF, do it through me/internally.

As if you'd have to give it up to work here, lol! Salesforce is hiring 3 people here in Toronto but they're Marketing roles (PMM, Campaigns Managers) not dev. Though if ever applying for SF, do it through me/internally.

Do you know how technical you actually have to be to get one of those solution architect positions? By the description, it sounds like a business analyst or consultant role but the job requirements they post are pretty steep (business analysis, SQL/database design, web development, programming, all phases of SDLC, systems integration, AND web encryption???).

Entropia

No One Remembers
Thanks everyone!

I have a friend who lives in that area and loves it. The subway is right there, lots of restaurants, a small mall, movie theatre. The only grocery store is a Metro but a Loblaws will be opening very soon in the area. I'm somewhat familiar with the area because of my friend and also because Eglinton station is the one I use to go downtown.

I've always heard a bit "pricey" and it has a younger demographic there but I've always viewed it as a pretty sweet area.

I currently live in the area

I absolutely love living here. Everything is just super convenient. Lot's of restaurants for whenever I want to eat out with family or friends. As far as groceries go there's a Metro with a Loblaws opening up soon (but if you want produce there's a Chinese green grocer near Yonge & Erskine that's good but god DAMN the lines sometimes). For shopping you have a few options in Eglinton Mall, and for electronics and such there's a Futursh- I mean Best Buy with a Canada Computers and NCIX basically next door. It might be better to take the train downtown to do shopping though. There's also an EB Games and Gamerama. Eglinton station being nearby is a fantastic plus though. Short train rides to both downtown and North York.

I think the big deal breaker though is the future of the area. A lot of big development and the LRT construction puts the area in a good spot for the next 10 years. That LRT needs to finish so they can toss a scramble crossing at the Y&E intersection god damn there's a lot of foot traffic in the area.

As far as downsides go rent is expensive as fuck and the area doesn't have a whole lot of personality. But in this case I'd definitely say the good outweighs the bad here. When it comes to the high rent you're basically paying for the convenience of the area so keep that in mind.

I am coming from London. Pretty much all rent is expensive as fuck to me! A few of the the big things in looking for places to live is 1) close to a grocery store (Loblaws = yay!!!), 2) Being close to the Subway, 3) Decent neighborhood, 4) Good looking building with good amenities

I've been to the area a couple of times (I was at the Unicorn this past weekend) and the area seemed nice and lively with the all of the shopping you mentioned being nearby.

Copacabana e'rryday

Is that the Brazilian place??

Rinoa

Do you know how technical you actually have to be to get one of those solution architect positions? By the description, it sounds like a business analyst or consultant role but the job requirements they post are pretty steep (business analysis, SQL/database design, web development, programming, all phases of SDLC, systems integration, AND web encryption???).

Hella technical and hella brain. They combine business brain with dev brain to come up with rounds of solutions for customers (combining hella platforms/etc) in insane turnaround times and also own decisions behind the methods of implementations.

Top Bottom