• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

Quadratic

Just curious, how many are home/condo owners in Toronto GAF?

I just bought recently and it's still crazy out there. Regular salary 2 income or bust for a reasonable home nowadays in the city (not counting extremely wealthy upper 6 figure salaries). A big relief is that mortgage rates are still low and lenders will fight for your business. But, you better have 20% down because soon the CHMC is raising the insurance rate of 10% or lower down payments after May from 3.15% to 3.6%.

Singles will have to do with smallish condo's. I lucked out and got something under market. But it took a lot of work, time and money getting it to where I wanted to live.

As some people in this thread are moving out of Yonge and Finch I just moved there so I hope it's still a healthy area. I do notice a ton more rentals than owners in my building. My floor is 1/2 empty if school is not in session (which is nice for noise + wifi interference)

Still taking food recommendations for the area if anyone has good spots to check out. Is mabu station any good for Taiwanese food? I see people eating there a lot.

Azih

I am coming from London. Pretty much all rent is expensive as fuck to me! A few of the the big things in looking for places to live is 1) close to a grocery store (Loblaws = yay!!!), 2) Being close to the Subway, 3) Decent neighborhood, 4) Good looking building with good amenities

Yonge/Eglinton is great for that. Take a quick look at the area at and between Yonge/Sheppard and Yonge/Finch too.

LevelNth

Banned
I am. I took a gamble a few years ago on Liberty Village, hoping it would blow up and gain value and become sort of a hot spot. Suffice it to say I'm shocked at just how much and how quickly that has happened.

I got very lucky.

ahdurian

Reminded how much I hate doctors.
Before I signed the waiver for my surgery, he was saying I would need two to three weeks off work to recover, so I told him that's fine as long as I can get a letter from him/the hospital for work/insurance purposes.
Now I ask him for a note after the surgery is done, and the douche doesn't want to write it, saying to get my family doctor to do it, even though he is the one that did the surgery.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
As some people in this thread are moving out of Yonge and Finch I just moved there so I hope it's still a healthy area. I do notice a ton more rentals than owners in my building. My floor is 1/2 empty if school is not in session (which is nice for noise + wifi interference)

Still taking food recommendations for the area if anyone has good spots to check out. Is mabu station any good for Taiwanese food? I see people eating there a lot.

It's still a great area, and getting better. This area used to be complete shit ten years ago and it's only been improving since.

As for Mabu station, it's very hit or miss these days. Some things are good, some things are terrible. I still go from time to time, but mostly out of laziness. Other good places along that stretch are Angus Pho House and Hot Pot on Yonge. I especially like the hot pot place, and make sure to try the congee hot pot on a cold day. There is also VIPS sushi around the corner, they mainly do cheap rolls. The rolls are like ten dollars, but they're the size of your arm so it's pretty decent. Don't go to the Wild Wing here, it's total garbage. Lim Ga Ne is probably the best Korean restaurant in the area, unless you go north to Drewry, where Chowon is.

Azih

For Iranian food a little north of Yonge/Finch is a huge Iranian grocery store called "Super Khorak" which has a restaurant on one side. It's pretty much the easiest to order from if you don't know Persian. Great kebabs. The Koobedah is a staple.

South of Finch there's this tiny street that's actually an entrace for a bunch of condos on the east side of Yonge called Northtown way. There's a hell of a lot of sandwich places and a tiny takeout sushi place as well. Search for Sushi Bong online and you can find it. I've always enjoyed eating there but I don't have high standards so....

Divvy

For Iranian food a little north of Yonge/Finch is a huge Iranian grocery store called "Super Khorak" which has a restaurant on one side. It's pretty much the easiest to order from if you don't know Persian. Great kebabs. The Koobedah is a staple.

South of Finch there's this tiny street that's actually an entrace for a bunch of condos on the east side of Yonge called Northtown way. There's a hell of a lot of sandwich places and a tiny takeout sushi place as well. Search for Sushi Bong online and you can find it. I've always enjoyed eating there but I don't have high standards so....

Yeah, that little place is a gem for small take out stuff. There's a place there that does fresh fish dessert waffles that's pretty good.

EDIT: Just got the home we wanted just north of Yonge and Finch, oh my god.

Azih

Yeah, that little place is a gem for small take out stuff. There's a place there that does fresh fish dessert waffles that's pretty good.

For the fish waffles I go to the Korean stall in front of the large Shopper's Drug Mart south of Finch on the West Side of Yonge.

Edit: Congrats! An actual home? Those things be Expensive. Is it behind the slightly sketchy Food Basics mall on Old Cummer?

Divvy

For the fish waffles I go to the Korean stall in front of the large Shopper's Drug Mart south of Finch on the West Side of Yonge.

Edit: Congrats! An actual home? Those things be Expensive. Is it behind the slightly sketchy Food Basics mall on Old Cummer?

It's a condo townhome. It's still being built and it's across the street from the Basics, a bit east of yonge.

Quadratic

EDIT: Just got the home we wanted just north of Yonge and Finch, oh my god.

Congratulations. Staying in the neighbourhood it seems. Best of luck. Owning a home is whole new can of worms.

Divvy

Congratulations. Staying in the neighbourhood it seems. Best of luck. Owning a home is whole new can of worms.

Thanks, yeah I love this neighbourhood. And yeah, looking at the amount of money that will have to be paid is a bit terrifying.

Rinoa

It's a condo townhome. It's still being built and it's across the street from the Basics, a bit east of yonge.

Congrats! When will it be built?

There are so many condo townhouses going up it's insane, I remember the whole area near ubisoft is being turned into condo townhouses.

Anony

how much are bachelor's condos? at 1) yonge and finch 2) somewhat close to dt core 3) close to ttc subway, along yonge line
i dont need that much space, nothing fancy, but no old stuff

Divvy

Congrats! When will it be built?

There are so many condo townhouses going up it's insane, I remember the whole area near ubisoft is being turned into condo townhouses.

In about a year they're saying. It's already been delayed once, so hopefully it meets this date.

how much are bachelor's condos? at 1) yonge and finch 2) somewhat close to dt core 3) close to ttc subway, along yonge line
i dont need that much space, nothing fancy, but no old stuff

Dunno about bachelor, but one bedrooms are going for 270-300k in that area

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
D'oh! Happy late birthday to the most Canadian Torontonian ever. The guy who finished his citizenship test in only a few minutes and laughed at everyone else. The old fogey who got choked by Darth Vader. The fattie who can't protect his medic. Evilmario!

Also, fuck the Raptors.

Edit: that black cat thing's birthday was on the same day too.

Mhee123

Neo Member
There's an expo that's happening... in Scarborough of all places!

10911300_906557589377580_2923247875279932466_o.jpg

Don't know what to expect, but I'll probably be there in the afternoon. Their website isn't working, but their Facebook is better.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I went to Starving Artist last weekend. I had a Monte Cristo. Instead of bread though, they had french toast waffles. It was amazing.

Renewed

I'll admit: This weather is nice. Not too cold, not too warm. Went to volunteering shift with not much and still nice weather when I left.

I feel like I've betrayed #teamcold...

zroid

Banned
I haven't watched any of the playoff games because they never gave me a reason to. Made the right decision clearly.

ahdurian

im really freaking craving a burger...

but got not patties at my house
and because of the pain killers im taking im not supposed to drive...

ughhh....hate Etobicoke life

Talking to first time buyers (like 50+ buyers) I would say 99% of them have one or more of the following:
-no university debt cuz they lived at home for free (even more bonus if they did co-op programs and got to keep their income)
-down payment help from parents
-free hand me down car from parents (nice not to have to buy a depreciating asset by yourself!)
-parents friends and relatives very generous during wedding time
-dual income (this is key)
-commute really far to work but stay close to parents, OR, if living downtown or somewhere away from parents then their parents still treat them like they're at home eg buying them bulk groceries, lending them a car for road trips, taking care of kids for free, etc

Notice a common thread :) Nice to see parents and families helping and staying close together but understandably frustrating for the sole first time buyer or even self-made couple with no parental help.

Back on topic though, affordability is possible in fantastic safe tree lined neighbourhoods IF you can compromise on size. Port Union (towns and maybe detached at high end prices), Wexford Maryvale (small bungalows), Don mills from finch down to eglinton (towns and large condo units), Yonge and finch west (towns and maybe a small bungalow at high end)

Top Bottom