• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

Quadratic

So yeah.... how about our local sports teams. Sigh.

The Leafs will get Hanifin or Strome 4th. Not sure which is better since I'm not a puckhead. They are upgrades right?

I was sad after the Raps loss yesterday. Fought back to tie it and send the game to overtime. Our guard play which was supposed to be our edge let us down. Gotta regroup and win on Tuesday. Going 0-2 to DC cannot happen if we want a chance to win the series.

TFC... yikes. I dunno how a team can consistently be this terrible with all the resources of a multibillion dollar telecommunications owner. Even bad teams fail upwards sometimes right?

At least the Jays won. With a walk off. Looking at cellar dwelling in the AL East. Our pitching sucks unless the staff ERA can be under 4. Out hitting teams is not a good long term strategy.

Brinbe

Hmm, I'll take a crack at this too.

Leafs: There's really not much to be depressed about at this point.. 9.5% chance on McSaviour so didn't count on that. Just cheesed that the fucked Oil won it again. It's like the Cavs winning multiple lotteries in the NBA recently. Fuck that shit. But really, they're blowing it up and building the right way, I'm behind Shanny 100% and Strome/ or Hanafin will be good building blocks. This is a multi-year process, as it should be. Just the beginning of the tear down. Hope we swipe Babs from the Red Wings.

Raptors: I told you all! I have zero confidence in this team with Casey as coach. They have zero discipline or offensive coherency. The Warriors/Spurs/Hawks/Rockets shoot tons of 3s too, but they do it within a team dynamic (and also happen to have the players to do it). This team just chucks like there's no tomorrow and it's depressing to watch. And the defense has been horrible too. They're wasting JV, our best young asset and we should just trade him if we're gonna treat him like an afterthought. I sincerely hope Masai wakes up and cans him this off-season. The Clippers/Warriors only improved when they ditched Del Negro/Mark Jackson respectively, and we shouldn't be afraid to make a change. If he stays the course, he's just another Colangelo to me.

TFC: Honestly, they've been terrible because they also have never had any cohesion or stability. There's a new coach or regime in every few years. And that's on the upper management for not being able to recruit capable coaches/managers to lead the team. They also have terrible defending and they didn't really do much to change that. They'd rather splash the big bucks on guys like Bradley/Altidore/Giovinco (who is admittedly a great signing) instead of building from the back. I don't know, they fucked up for a long time and it's a shame because for a few years they really had something there and had a great chance to build something with that amazing fan support. And then they fucked it all away. Sad.

Jays: What else is new? They're inconsistent as hell and it's frustrating to watch. Jose/Edwin/R-Mart, you know the veteran guys getting paid, haven't had good starts to the season (though Joey Bats had that 2-run homer yesterday that you hope will get him going) and the young trio of Hutch/Norris/Sanchez have had middling to bad results so far. But on the bright side, Donaldson has been as good as advertised (walk off!!) and it is genuinely nice to see guys like Devon Travis develop (and he will be a star here, easily our best 2B since Robbie) and flourish. CastrOsuna will be the rocks of our pen this season. And Pillar has been a nice suprise and it's nice to know he'll offer depth when Saunders returns.

It's only been two weeks and we're not close to out of it yet, but I just want to see everyone get it going at the same time because 1-9 this lineup can legit be as deadly as there is in baseball. But I don't know, the pitching will always be a concern. Especially the bullpen.

Varshes

Hello Toronto GAF, I need Bawls. I used to find it at my local Hasty Mart and Kitchen Table, and they haven't restocked in months. Anyone see it anywhere in the city? Thanks.

Mupod

Starting new job in the morning. Still haven't been paid for my last month and a half at the previous place - gonna have to start looking into my options there. I don't think he's going to pay up willingly and it's a nice chunk of change.

But for now I'm just going to focus 100% at the new place. On paper it sounds perfect so here's hoping it lives up to that. First day in IT is always weird in my experience, of the 3 places I've worked none of them had a real game plan for training new employees. Everyone was too busy.

Also, I almost forgot that Chaobreaker asked about my run-in with DSP a while back:

https://youtu.be/EnO--WetMKs

Starting new job in the morning. Still haven't been paid for my last month and a half at the previous place - gonna have to start looking into my options there. I don't think he's going to pay up willingly and it's a nice chunk of change.

But for now I'm just going to focus 100% at the new place. On paper it sounds perfect so here's hoping it lives up to that. First day in IT is always weird in my experience, of the 3 places I've worked none of them had a real game plan for training new employees. Everyone was too busy.

Also, I almost forgot that Chaobreaker asked about my run-in with DSP a while back:

https://youtu.be/EnO--WetMKs

Wonderful. He even records his gameplay offscreen.

Even though it rarely rains here... I still get pissed off every time it rains. God damn I hate rain.

On another note, went to Ossington area on Saturday for the first time since moving to Toronto. Went to the pho place (Golden Turtle?), never seen so many hipsters in a pho place in my life. That area is so relaxing, I forgot what it feels like to not live near streets with so many cars and people everywhere.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

It sucks that your old job won't pay. I hope you're not giving up on it though. This asshat employer is just going to continuing fucking every employee he can if no one forces his hand. Sadly I've no advice with how you should really proceed. :/

I may be joining TorontoGAF in the next month or so. Have a phone interview later this afternoon!

One of us. One of us.

Even though it rarely rains here... I still get pissed off every time it rains. God damn I hate rain.

On another note, went to Ossington area on Saturday for the first time since moving to Toronto. Went to the pho place (Golden Turtle?), never seen so many hipsters in a pho place in my life. That area is so relaxing, I forgot what it feels like to not live near streets with so many cars and people everywhere.

There's a bunch of those "small, quiet" areas in the city. I never really considered Ossington THAT relaxing though, haha. My two personal favourites are Bloor West / Roncesvalles / Swansea and the Beaches. Lots of green space, small shops and just less hectic in general, while still being able to access downtown in a twenty minutes. Bloor West tends to stay a little less busy than the Beaches, which really pick up in activity as the warmer weather approaches, but I would still recommending visiting both.

There's a bunch of those "small, quiet" areas in the city. I never really considered Ossington THAT relaxing though, haha. My two personal favourites are Bloor West / Roncesvalles / Swansea and the Beaches. Lots of green space, small shops and just less hectic in general, while still being able to access downtown in a twenty minutes. Bloor West tends to stay a little less busy than the Beaches, which really pick up in activity as the warmer weather approaches, but I would still recommending visiting both.

Yeah, I really need to explore more now that it's starting to get sunny again. I'll probably check out Roncesvalles (how do you even pronounce that?). My coworkers keep saying that I should consider moving to Liberty Village - which is somewhat close by - when my current lease is up.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
XLI2zoo.jpg

source

Yeah, I really need to explore more now that it's starting to get sunny again. I'll probably check out Roncesvalles (how do you even pronounce that?). My coworkers keep saying that I should consider moving to Liberty Village - which is somewhat close by - when my current lease is up.

I think I say it 'Rawn-sez-vales', but when it doubt you can just say Roncy. Your other option is to ride the streetcar there and hear the stop announcement.

krae_man

Google Crystal Beach Amusement Park. There used to be steamboats from Buffalo that took Americans to the park. Its crazy, looks so quaint and old timey.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Thanks everyone. It went alright. I got a bit nervous as I tend to do in that type of situation - speaking a little to fast, etc. I will find out later this week if they want me in for an actual interview.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

If you think your employer is not following the Employment Standards Act 2000 (ESA) you can call the Employment Standards Information Centre at 416-326-7160 or toll free at 1-800-531-5551 for more information about the ESA and how to file a complaint. Complaints are investigated by an employment standards officer who can, if necessary, make orders against an employer - including an order to comply with the ESA. The ministry has a number of other options to enforce the ESA, including requesting voluntary compliance, issuing an order to pay wages, an order to reinstate and/or compensate, a notice of contravention, or issuing a ticket or otherwise prosecuting an employer under the Provincial Offences Act.

Ontario Ministry of Labour
Employment Standards Inquiries
416/326-7160 (Greater Toronto Area) or 1-800-531-5551
E-mail: webes@mol.gov.on.ca[/QUOTE]http://www.worksmartontario.gov.on.ca/scripts/default.asp?contentID=1-0-0-1

[quote="shadowkat, post: 160878943"]I worked there! :p And I remember when you could walk through the mountain.

Everything is so built up now. It looks so empty in those pictures compared to now.[/QUOTE]A few of my friends worked at Wonderland back in HS. One of them worked at the chicken place in the Medieval Faire and he would charge us for a small drink then give us the large chicken/fries combo. It was also great going through the employee entrance so we could park for free.

Azuran

Banned
I think I'm going to have to start prostituting myself to get my hands on a damn Anime North pass. I just lost a seller because some guy offered him a PSfing4 for the pass he was selling. I think I'm dying on the inside trying to get one.

Bleh.

Edit: Nvm. I got a weekend pass from someone else right after posting this. Fuck yeah, complaining on the internet continues to work beautifully.

Mhee123

Neo Member
Apparently it was a natural gas leak. The explosion happened 8KM from my place, but I didn't know it happened until "Scarborough" trended on twitter! I guess my headphones were both Noise Canceling and Shock Resistant.

ahdurian

so looks like im taking another 2-3 weeks off work

just got out for a surgery to insert a new temporary line for my dialysis treatment on Friday, then had blood level complications until today

Now on Thursday, they're going to take a look at the golf ball-sized aneurysm that's been in my fistula to see if they can remove it, and apparently it takes minimum 2 weeks to heal

gonna be fun not being to be able to use my left hand for the majority of those 2-3 weeks as well

Roto13

just got out for a surgery to insert a new temporary line for my dialysis treatment on Friday, then had blood level complications until today

Now on Thursday, they're going to take a look at the golf ball-sized aneurysm that's been in my fistula to see if they can remove it, and apparently it takes minimum 2 weeks to heal

gonna be fun not being to be able to use my left hand for the majority of those 2-3 weeks as well

Your life is a rollercoaster

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Ahh, damn, that blows. Here's hoping you get better soon
so you can get out to a meetup.

So I looked up this Uncle Tetsu cheesecake and it's only 9 bucks? Here I am thinking it was some high quality gourmet delicacy and now I want to try it.

I'm gonna get it sometime this week.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I bring you this morning's TTC delay, featuring the 501 streetcar. I thought they were spaced well enough for this to never happen, even while turning. Guess not.

Oh and a gas leak this morning at College and Spadina with all that construction.. fun times..

CityNews TorontoVerified account
‏@CityNews
HEADS UP: #Toronto police say to avoid the College & Spadina area because of a gas leak.

So I looked up this Uncle Tetsu cheesecake and it's only 9 bucks? Here I am thinking it was some high quality gourmet delicacy and now I want to try it.

I'm gonna get it sometime this week.

They price it so it's $10 even after tax. Definitely a reasonable price. Just depends on how much you value your time..

Willectro

Banned
I really wish Toronto would just ban all these street charity collectors. Even the homeless panhandlers (who truly don't bother me) aren't this aggressive. It's not even when they ask to have a conversation in some cheesy manner, it's the snarky comments after. I feel like chumps donating are funding more collectors.

'Hey man, you don't understand discrimination, but if you let me harass you into wasting a few minutes of your time and you sign up for a donation subscription, you will finally get it.'

To be clear, I'm not anti-charity, but there is a time, place, and method to go about it. I donate every year to the food bank and salvation army.

Azih

I really wish Toronto would just ban all these street charity collectors. Even the homeless panhandlers (who truly don't bother me) aren't this aggressive. It's not even when they ask to have a conversation in some cheesy manner, it's the snarky comments after. I feel like chumps donating are funding more collectors.

'Hey man, you don't understand discrimination, but if you let me harass you into wasting a few minutes of your time and you sign up for a donation subscription, you will finally get it.'

To be clear, I'm not anti-charity, but there is a time, place, and method to go about it. I donate every year to the food bank and salvation army.

Yeah they're really aggressive. I've started walking on the street for a bit to dodge the ones who setup shop on both sides of sidewalks.

Top Bottom