• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

Roto13

My hobby is walking past people who thrust things into your hands before demanding money and just walking away with their shit.

I really wish Toronto would just ban all these street charity collectors. Even the homeless panhandlers (who truly don't bother me) aren't this aggressive. It's not even when they ask to have a conversation in some cheesy manner, it's the snarky comments after. I feel like chumps donating are funding more collectors.

'Hey man, you don't understand discrimination, but if you let me harass you into wasting a few minutes of your time and you sign up for a donation subscription, you will finally get it.'

To be clear, I'm not anti-charity, but there is a time, place, and method to go about it. I donate every year to the food bank and salvation army.

I was walking near College & Yonge a week ago and I swear to god there were two of those "I Am a Girl" or whoever people (they were blue vests I'm pretty sure you all know who I'm talking about) just flat out hitting on girls walking by and it was cringeworthy. Whenever I see those people on the street I just take out my phone and ignore the shit out of them

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I was walking near College & Yonge a week ago and I swear to god there were two of those "I Am a Girl" or whoever people (they were blue vests I'm pretty sure you all know who I'm talking about) just flat out hitting on girls walking by and it was cringeworthy. Whenever I see those people on the street I just take out my phone and ignore the shit out of them

I always hear the worst shit (although what you describe is a new one..) about the "I Am a Girl" chuggers. They definitely seem to be the most persistent to me, but not really more than others. But lots of stories about them grabbing people by the arm that try to walk by without acknowledging them, stuff like that. I play the dangerous game of actually speaking to them saying "No", or "Not today", but I never stop moving.

I really wish Toronto would just ban all these street charity collectors. Even the homeless panhandlers (who truly don't bother me) aren't this aggressive. It's not even when they ask to have a conversation in some cheesy manner, it's the snarky comments after. I feel like chumps donating are funding more collectors.

'Hey man, you don't understand discrimination, but if you let me harass you into wasting a few minutes of your time and you sign up for a donation subscription, you will finally get it.'

To be clear, I'm not anti-charity, but there is a time, place, and method to go about it. I donate every year to the food bank and salvation army.

I seriously thought this was a normal thing here. I live downtown and I've seen these "I am a Girl" people EVERYWHERE. And they're constantly walking in front of people to try to stop them. I used to do the smile and no thanks thing but now I just walk past them.

cbox

I'm not sure what happened, but at yonge/bloor a few years ago every time I went for a walk I'd always come back with some promotional item. 3 years ago I had 20 bottles of franks red hot sauce in my cubicle, all from a few days of promotion. I'm guessing dundas square is more popular for that type of thing now?

dubq

Whenever one manages to catch me off guard or without headphones I simply fire back at them that I work for a hospital and inquire if they would like to make a donation to our Foundation.. usually shuts them up.

I always hear the worst shit (although what you describe is a new one..) about the "I Am a Girl" chuggers. They definitely seem to be the most persistent to me, but not really more than others. But lots of stories about them grabbing people by the arm that try to walk by without acknowledging them, stuff like that. I play the dangerous game of actually speaking to them saying "No", or "Not today", but I never stop moving.

Most of them don't hassle you too much but I did have a bad experience last year that I posted in the Toronto thread. I was stuck at a light waiting to cross and I had to repeatedly tell him that I wasn't interested. He didn't seem to understand what no meant.

I agree, they are far more aggressive than the homeless.

Yeah I also hear really bad things. One of my friends was actually followed by one of them for like a block until my friend eventually told him to back off because he wasn't interested.

This is why my headphones are my best friends.

I have a short story about this. I wear my ATH M50's outside whenever I'm in the mood. 2-3 years ago I was wearing them and one of those I Am a Girl chuggers really tried to get my attention. Tapped my shoulder multiple times and followed me for a good 10 meters. I still had my headphones on so I just kept ignoring him. At some point he just jumped in front of me while I was walking. I had to take off my headphones to tell him to back off and I'm not interested in whatever shit he's pushing. According to some random passer by he was basically yelling at me very loudly for whatever reason but I didn't hear him. So yeah, fuck those people. EDIT: This was near Yonge & Eglinton near the Indigo street level entrance. It's a place those guys frequent quite a lot. The other ones are either in front of the Shoppers Drug Mart or in front of the Starbucks both near Yonge & Eglinton.

So yes, based off my experiences and what I've heard from other friends, those "I Am a Girl" people are definitely worse than homeless people

I remember reading up on them last year and I believe it is a for-profit organization that is representing these charities.

I worked there! :p And I remember when you could walk through the mountain.

Everything is so built up now. It looks so empty in those pictures compared to now.

You can't walk through the mountain?

dubq

I remember reading up on them last year and I believe it is a for-profit organization that is representing these charities.

Wouldn't shock me. Most non-profits hire agencies to handle this kind of "guerrilla" fundraising.

(It should be noted that the "I Am A Girl" campaign is from Plan Canada, which used to be known as Foster Parents Plan (Canada), so that is the non-profit in question.)

dubq

You can't walk through the mountain?

f8b8cb500ab3c4ff00100e99b32c09dfe0f87ebff6dcf6c7155ddd33f4557745.jpg

Quadratic

I get solicited a lot by them but it's never as aggressive as some of the stories here. Once I told a I am A Girl canvasser I wasn't interested. Later that night I was on a patio drinking and the chugger (off his shift) gave me the dirtiest stink eye as his group walked by.

Really wonder how much money they generate for the charity to make it worth the negative PR. Judging from the posts here it gives off a really bad impression towards that charity.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

Yes, I mentioned this before, but I worked for a sick kids one when I was a teenager. There is a for-profit organization that does this for different charities. The people hound you because if they don't bring in enough money, they get fired.

Renewed

Never going down without a fight. If I'm going down, I'm taking all you #teamwarm fools down with me.

Also yeah, screw those Plan I Am A Girl folks. I understand, but I said no. I remember on my way to my next class they were between me and Gould St (dangit Ryerson...). I remember not getting a hot chocolate before class because of that jerk.

Mr. F

Banned
I can't keep up with this weather. I was pretty excited for the 0.8 seconds of thunderstorm.

I bring you this morning's TTC delay, featuring the 501 streetcar. I thought they were spaced well enough for this to never happen, even while turning. Guess not.

Haha that's steps from my place, glad to have missed that.

Rinoa

I bring you this morning's TTC delay, featuring the 501 streetcar. I thought they were spaced well enough for this to never happen, even while turning. Guess not.

Weird, I thought everything was like you said, engineered to never collide... now Imma start freaking out whenever streetcars are close to each other.

Just get a combo CO/Propane/Natural Gas detector. They're $60 at Home Depot.

Word, seems Cdn tire doesn't have good ones?

ahdurian

I'm not sure what happened, but at yonge/bloor a few years ago every time I went for a walk I'd always come back with some promotional item. 3 years ago I had 20 bottles of franks red hot sauce in my cubicle, all from a few days of promotion. I'm guessing dundas square is more popular for that type of thing now?

by my work at King/Bathurst, we used to get like 7 beer companies come by during the summer so we'd have a stock in our desks

Sober

I get solicited a lot by them but it's never as aggressive as some of the stories here. Once I told a I am A Girl canvasser I wasn't interested. Later that night I was on a patio drinking and the chugger (off his shift) gave me the dirtiest stink eye as his group walked by.

Really wonder how much money they generate for the charity to make it worth the negative PR. Judging from the posts here it gives off a really bad impression towards that charity.
I don't really frequent the city during the day so it sucks to hear it's that bad. The few times I did run into them they seemed okay. A few of them were pretty nice. Didn't know they weren't volunteers or anything or were hired by a for-profit and given quotas and stuff.

I wonder how many chumps you have to dupe into donating until you can afford a fixed-gear bike and vintage clothes?
Well I guess that makes me a chump then.

Quick

Banned

Replace the last bit to "I need customers"

studying-for-finals-just-kidding-i-need-to-pass.jpg.jpg

The I Am A Girl ones. Fucking hate those.

I got caught by one (after doing a pretty good job at avoiding almost all of them), and I told her I'd think about it and check back (I was being nice). She gave me this passive-aggressive line about people having a slim chance of running back into each other or something and I would miss her. :\

Roto13

I got caught by one (after doing a pretty good job at avoiding almost all of them), and I told her I'd think about it and check back (I was being nice). She gave me this passive-aggressive line about people having a slim chance of running back into each other or something and I would miss her. :\

"Oh, hunny, who would ever miss you?"

I hate that one so much, once the weather was pretty terrible and I was trying to get to the subway station and this guy is literally trying to get me to commit to something for the rest of my life in a span of 3 minutes.

Like fuck, calm yourself buddy.

Quadratic

Two days for the Raptors to regroup and try to make the series competitive. Looks like a really good chance the Wizards will sweep us out of the 1 st round.

I hate that one so much, once the weather was pretty terrible and I was trying to get to the subway station and this guy is literally trying to get me to commit to something for the rest of my life in a span of 3 minutes.

Like fuck, calm yourself buddy.

I'd say that they aren't doing I Am a Girl any favours but they keep sending them back out there every year so they must be bringing in enough to make it worth it.

Top Bottom