• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age

Status
Not open for further replies.
FlyingTeacup said:
undergraduate in elec eng, master in biomed eng., master in device eng. and phd biomedical eng. past work exp: research eng & research officer
Yeah, you could probably find a job here, but it might not be "downtown" since it seems like a lot of the scientific/research stuff is in the suburbs.

The Interrobanger said:
Yeah, you could probably find a job here, but it might not be "downtown" since it seems like a lot of the scientific/research stuff is in the suburbs.

cheers, I'm thinking of slowing down my life a bit... maybe doing slightly non-technical things... teaching maybe...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Vhalyar said:
Anyone know where I can get some nice lunch specials for 10-15$ around Adelaide/Spadina? With Chinatown close by, I imagine that there should be some good places to eat out on a budget.

When I worked in the area, we'd frequent Fusaro's (Italian, most pastas in larger portions) and CJ's Lunchbox (Sushi, dumplings, and a few other sides). Both would fit 10-15$, and in most cases would be a lot less.

Azih

FlyingTeacup said:
cool thanks...
Getting a job before coming will clear out pretty much all the obstacles that come with moving here. Try Ryerson and York University as well for the 'second tier' of universities (still pretty good), and then there's also colleges like Sheridan, Seneca, Humber. Not sure what they're about though or if you'd be interested.

EvilMario said:
When I worked in the area, we'd frequent Fusaro's (Italian, most pastas in larger portions) and CJ's Lunchbox (Sushi, dumplings, and a few other sides). Both would fit 10-15$, and if you didn't splurge, you could probably cut that in half ($10 per day for lunch is expensive).
Fusaro's is great, but be prepared to wait in line for 20+ minutes unless you go before 12/after 1:30

Italian:
Fusaro's (Richmond/Spadina)
Pizzaiolo (King/Brant)
Alice Fazooli's (Adelaide/John)

Healthy/Vegetarian but Yummy:
Freshii (Richmond/Spadina)
Sadies (Adelaide/Portland)

Burgers/Sandwiches:
Zoes (King/Brant)
Reggies (King/Portland)
The Counter (Wellington/Bathurst)
Craft Burger (King/Portland)
BQM (Queen/Spadina)
m.brgr (King/Spadina)
Corned Beef House (Adelaide/John)
Lou Dawgs (King/Portland)

Burritos:
Burrito Bandido's (Richmond/Peter)
Quesada (Wellington/Peter)

Greasy Spoon:
Avenue Kitchen (Adelaide/Spadina)
Zupa's (Adelaide/Peter)

Asian:
CJ Lunchbox (Richmond/Spadina)
Aji Sai (Queen/Spadina)
Thai Princess (King/Spadina)

MISC:
Ravi Soups (Adelaide/Peter)
Ackee Tree (Queen/Spadina)
Nora Shawarma (Richmond/Spadina)

There's a million more, but everything else is either overrated or I've had bad experiences.

Azih said:
Getting a job before coming will clear out pretty much all the obstacles that come with moving here. Try Ryerson and York University as well for the 'second tier' of universities (still pretty good), and then there's also colleges like Sheridan, Seneca, Humber. Not sure what they're about though or if you'd be interested.

many thanks!

Vhalyar said:
Anyone know where I can get some nice lunch specials for 10-15$ around Adelaide/Spadina? With Chinatown close by, I imagine that there should be some good places to eat out on a budget.

The dumplings at Mother's Dumplings are AMAZING.. and CHEAP! The two magic words..

http://www.mothersdumplings.com/

Hilarious website too.. I love this quote on it:

"We have moved to 421 Spadina Ave.
No longer does our restaurant appear to be a hole
in the wall.
We hope you will like it."

mf.luder

What are people's thoughts on Hong Shing? It's pretty much in the middle on Dundas between University and Bay, on the South side.

mf.luder said:
What are people's thoughts on Hong Shing? It's pretty much in the middle on Dundas between University and Bay, on the South side.

Never heard of it.

I, like most people, generally disregard that entire stretch of Dundas because it's filthy and super sketchy. You're better off going a bit west and going to the "real" Chinatown

Vhalyar

firehawk12 said:
Hah, if you can stomach it, you can get really cheap lunches at Chinatown Centre. The smaller restaurants on Dundas are also usually cheaper than the ones on Spadina as well.

Of course, if you're not into Chinese, then that probably won't help you out that much.
Chinese is fine... in moderation :p
Not something I'd do every day though.

The Interrobanger said:
That's where I work too and I go out for lunch almost every day.

What do you want to eat?
Anything from a nice filling sandwich place to a seated restaurant with a nice lunch special. I'd like to do the same and go out most days, so no greasy, cheap fast foods. I think I'll get enough of that from my work place during crunch time. I don't suppose you work at 366 Adelaide?

EvilMario said:
When I worked in the area, we'd frequent Fusaro's (Italian, most pastas in larger portions) and CJ's Lunchbox (Sushi, dumplings, and a few other sides). Both would fit 10-15$, and in most cases would be a lot less.
added_time said:
The dumplings at Mother's Dumplings are AMAZING.. and CHEAP! The two magic words..

http://www.mothersdumplings.com/

Hilarious website too.. I love this quote on it:

"We have moved to 421 Spadina Ave.
No longer does our restaurant appear to be a hole
in the wall.
We hope you will like it."
All three places look great, cheers! And really close, so more time to eat.

cbox

Question for Toronto-Bike Gaf, is anyone doing the Ride to conquer cancer??

I'm doing it for the 2nd time in a row this year, just started doing my training outside tonight, turned out to be perfect!

mf.luder said:
Go to New Treasure instead. Dim Sum Cart Service! Cheap deliciousness!

I used to go to Garden at 3AM after late night study sessions. Their General Tao is good...just watch out for the little plastic pieces.

Hong Shing...is okay. But you can do better.

Kraftwerk

"Wakes up"

"Looks out window"

we_are_going_to_die.gif

Kraftwerk said:
"Wakes up"

"Looks out window"

we_are_going_to_die.gif
Ya, my girl got me up to show me the sky. East was bright and sunny, west was dark and foreboding, and the cloud front was moving fast.

Plus, it's unbelievably windy out there.

Mercurial

The Interrobanger said:
Burgers/Sandwiches:
Zoes (King/Brant)
Reggies (King/Portland)
The Counter (Wellington/Bathurst)
Craft Burger (King/Portland)
BQM (Queen/Spadina)
m.brgr (King/Spadina)
Corned Beef House (Adelaide/John)
Lou Dawgs (King/Portland)
No Toronto sandwich list is complete without Sky Blue Sky (Bloor/Bathurst).

Or Caplansky's (College/Agusta), for that matter. John's (Baldwin St.) is also really good. Especially the patio on a beautiful summer day. Hmmm... Pusateri (Church/Wellseley) as well... Oh god I want a sandwich.

[edit] I didn't read the quoted post. Just ignore me, I'm hungry.

Mercurial said:
No Toronto sandwich list is complete without Sky Blue Sky (Bloor/Bathurst).

Or Caplansky's (College/Agusta), for that matter. John's (Baldwin St.) is also really good. Especially the patio on a beautiful summer day. Hmmm... Pusateri (Church/Wellseley) as well... Oh god I want a sandwich.

[edit] I didn't read the quoted post. Just ignore me, I'm hungry.
haha, yeah, the goal was to provide decent places within a few blocks of adelaide/spadina. :p

Oppo

I'm getting nailed with some pretty big gusts right now, I'm assuming tornado fragments from the south... my dog is acting all neurotic. I think the change in air pressure messes with his ears.

Interrobanger – i was never adventerous enough to find the gems in Chinatown when I worked over there but Fusaro's chicken sandwich is really awesome. You just gotta get there by noon or it gets really jammed. Avoid Letteri for anything but coffee as it's a ripoff.

(Now you want to talk sandwiches, I did a gig in Rosedale recently and had access to the Black Camel. That is a fucking sandwich. goddamn)

Mercurial said:
Or Caplansky's (College/Agusta)

I know your post missed the correct area completely but I can't help but echo this statement. I LOVE Caplansky's. It's a shame that so many people shrug off their smoked meat sandwich just because it isn't exactly like the Montreal style ones.
It's not supposed to be like that... it's just good in a different way.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The wind this morning is nuts. At Queen and Windermere this morning I saw it two (heavy) mail boxes blow over, and the ad ripped off the side of a streetcar.

Vhalyar

The Interrobanger said:
haha, yeah, the goal was to provide decent places within a few blocks of adelaide/spadina. :p
I completely missed that list of yours while replying, thanks. Next week should be off to a good start with all these places to try.

Dyno

ConvenientBox said:
Walked on the subway soaked with sideways rain, got out at yonge to perfect blue skies....

Yeah that storm was alot like me. It came hard and left quickly!

Subject Change - Lunch

I work at City all and we are always going to lunch on Dundas between Bay and University. all of these places are on Dundas between Bay and University

-Big Fat Burrito is very good. My favourite burrito in the area. (North side)
-Spadina Garden is good Chinese (North side)
-Pho Orchid is good for viet food and pho (South side)
-Indian Flavour is a nice indian buffet. It is closed now but might re-open (South side)
-New Treasure is pretty good dim sum (North side)

Also in the new food court in the path (just south of Sheridan Plaza) has a Soup Nutzy. Man that is some tasty soup!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Dyno said:

Subject Change - Lunch

I work at City all and we are always going to lunch on Dundas between Bay and University. all of these places are on Dundas between Bay and University

-Indian Flavour is a nice indian buffet. It is closed now but might re-open (South side)

Also in the new food court in the path (just south of Sheridan Plaza) has a Soup Nutzy. Man that is some tasty soup!

We tried that place a couple of times, but just found the burritos not as big.. nor as tasty as Chipotle (even if they're a little 'sterile', they're good). Both are pretty proximity to each other.

The Grange over by OCAD has a couple decent places to eat as well. Mission Burrito, and Manpuku (Japanese) notably. If you arrive at launch time though.. well, it's a food court near a couple of schools. You can guess the atmosphere.

Dyno

EvilMario said:
We tried that place a couple of times, but just found the burritos not as big.. nor as tasty as Chipotle (even if they're a little 'sterile', they're good). Both are pretty proximity to each other.

Yeah Chipotle is on Yonge St. but I'm not a fan. I know they tout high quality ingredience but their burritos are bland to me.

Big Fat Burrito isn't any bigger than the competition but that's okay with me because I don't like those huge 'kitchen sink' burritos. I just like the way they taste. Plus they have breakfast burrito. Sometimes you just have to do that.

Smash88

Banned
Dyno said:
Yeah Chipotle is on Yonge St. but I'm not a fan. I know they tout high quality ingredience but their burritos are bland to me.

Big Fat Burrito isn't any bigger than the competition but that's okay with me because I don't like those huge 'kitchen sink' burritos. I just like the way they taste. Plus they have breakfast burrito. Sometimes you just have to do that.

I saw that Chipotle place near Yonge and Egg. Wondering how the taste of the ingredients are? Also by bland do you mean tasteless or just nothing to tout about taste-wise. I usually just go to South St. Burger, tasty burgers. IT ACTUALLY TASTES LIKE MEAT! :O

Also what a couple of shitty gray days. I feel tired, even though I'm going to bed on time.

EvilMario said:

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of Big Fat Burrito either. Mission Burrito is pretty good, although if you're that close you might as well go to Burrito Bandidos or get a sub in Chinatown.

Kunohara

I just wish all the good places to eat weren't downtown. I fucking hate going there, and it is kinda far from where I am. I just wish there were some good places to eat in the suburbs. I live right on the border of North York and Scarborough.

Kunohara said:
I just wish all the good places to eat weren't downtown. I fucking hate going there, and it is kinda far from where I am. I just wish there were some good places to eat in the suburbs. I live right on the border of North York and Scarborough.

Scarborough and Markham have incredible Chinese food.
Scarborough also has really awesome Indian, Pakistani and Sri Lankan food.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
mf.luder said:

All I remember about that place when I lived nearby like 7 years ago was that there seemed to be a lot of police in there. Oh yeah one time someone got shot there too. Food was good though.

shortyme

The Interrobanger said:
Yeah, I'm not really a fan of Big Fat Burrito either. Mission Burrito is pretty good, although if you're that close you might as well go to Burrito Bandidos or get a sub in Chinatown.

I've always had a bad experience at Big Fat Burrito but never really minded the food. Burrito Bandidos is definitely better though.

Where do you get a good sub in Chinatown?

Joule

mf.luder said:
I live right by it and it's okay. Nothing special really.

For something better the aforementioned New Treasure is good and Lai Wah Heen as well. Most of the better dimsum places seem to be uptown though.

On related dimsum talk, the 3rd floor of that Maindale Mall in between Beverly and Huron is opening up a new restaurant. It used to be the Yiu Wah restaurant before they closed down. Might be something to keep an eye on. I'm vaguely familiar with the people starting it up and some of the workers there. Can't say whether it'll be good place or not till after they open up on this weekend/after this weekend.

Divvy said:
All I remember about that place when I lived nearby like 7 years ago was that there seemed to be a lot of police in there. Oh yeah one time someone got shot there too. Food was good though.
Yeah the police thing hasn't really changed much. There hasn't been any shootings there recently though. 52 division is a minute or 2 away.

Kunohara said:
Wait.

You hate downtown, but you love the border of North York/Scarborough (which is where? 404/401? Fairview Mall?)

Mind boggled.

Kunohara

The Interrobanger said:
Wait.

You hate downtown, but you love the border of North York/Scarborough (which is where? 404/401? Fairview Mall?)

Mind boggled.

Pollution, how driving around there is a fucking mess, especially getting into and out of downtown. Paying for parking up the ass.

Yeah, real nice.

I'm also not going to drive all the way there just to eat something.

My neighbourhood is quiet, everything is close by and quick to get to, and parking is free.

Draff

Dyno said:

Subject Change - Lunch

Manpuku at Dundas and University is also a very good option. Cheap bowls of noodles.

Kunohara said:
Pollution, how driving around there is a fucking mess, especially getting into and out of downtown. Paying for parking up the ass.

Yeah, real nice.

I'm also not going to drive all the way there just to eat something.

My neighbourhood is quiet, everything is close by and quick to get to, and parking is free.
I don't own a car, because I can walk/public transit everywhere within minutes. Plus, I have a parking space that I rent out so parking actually makes me money.

You have the 401 and the 404 in your backyard. I guarantee your noise/pollution problems are worse than mine.

Each to their own obviously, but I'm pretty sure you're the only person in the world who prefers "the border of North York and Scarborough" to Downtown.

cbox

Im in on the downtown dislike too, though I've gotten used to it working down here for a year and a change, I still love the burbs and north of the city. Quiet, no sirens, more open and parking is free :D

I went to the skyblue sandwhich place and ordered the pulled pork, it was way too salty.

Kunohara said:
I'm out in Scarborough (most of the time), and I wouldn't think of driving downtown unless I absolutely needed to.

That's what the TTC is for.

Anyway, I love downtown.

Oppo

Kunohara said:

Yeah, real nice.

Here's the vital, crucial part you're missing: all of those have to do with driving.

Don't drive. Take the subway or some other means.

I mean you're complaining because you live way out of town (relatively) and there's no access to stuff, but you don't want to go where there's access to stuff because it's crowded with people just like you, driving around.

Kunohara

PortTwo said:
Here's the vital, crucial part you're missing: all of those have to do with driving.

Don't drive. Take the subway or some other means.

I mean you're complaining because you live way out of town (relatively) and there's no access to stuff, but you don't want to go where there's access to stuff because it's crowded with people just like you, driving around.

The only reason I would want to go is for food. And taking the TTC would be more of a hassle to get there just to eat something. I bought a car so I could drive, not take the bus. Maybe they should fix the awful fucking traffic problem we have here.

And even though I'm close to the 404, I don't hear any of it. No sirens or other shit either.

I just find it weird there isn't really any good places to eat around here, instead it is all downtown.

In regards to Sri Lanka, Pakistan etc food in Scarborough. There are tons of places there. Which one is good?

There also isn't really any good sandwich places or just places to hang out, like downtown.

Kunohara said:
I bought a car so I could drive, not take the bus. Maybe they should fix the awful fucking traffic problem we have here.
The "awful fucking traffic problem we have here" is precisely because everyone wants to drive in this dense, metropolitan city.

There's two solutions: Go crazy expropriating property and building massive roads, or build-up a proper transit system. The first one is just plain stupid, and no one ever wants to commit to the second one.

Kunohara said:
I just find it weird there isn't really any good places to eat around here, instead it is all downtown.

Why is that weird?

Why would a customer anyone want to go to the middle of nowhere to eat when they can go to areas where there's literally hundreds of quality eating options all within walking distance of each other? Not to mention other forms of entertainment/culture of all types?

Why would a restaurant owner put his restaurant in a place where it's harder to get to and less densely populated with potential customers?

I bought a car so I could drive, not take the bus. Maybe they should fix the awful fucking traffic problem we have here.

My head hurts...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
TTC has its (major) issues, but it's an decent transit system. I love to drive, but I wouldn't want to own a car in this city. Between insurance, gas, maintenance, the cost upfront, or monthly payment, insane parking prices downtown, parking at the apartment.. it's a sink hole for cash.

My wife and I both manage with metro passes, which undoubtedly cost much less than having a car.. and less time spent sitting in traffic. I mean, I can work on my laptop in the morning on the streetcar. I can't do that while driving.

Speaking of which, we do have Zipcar as an option when we do need a car. We only pay the $60~ whatever yearly fee, and then the cost (around $8.95 per hour, which includes insurance/gas) when we use it. It's a great system when we do need to pick up something large, or get to some place outside the range of the TTC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom