• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Warhammer |OT| WAAAGHcraft 4

ISee

Started a new campaign with vampire counts today (hard) and I must say: Vampire Counts are awesome. It's so easy to build up a high level army with them and their flying units are just brutal...

Gaz_RB

Barely anyone plays multiplayer campaign to begin with, and with turns taking up to an hour each in the late game, any more players would be really tedious.

Yeah I couldn't imagine playing it with anyone other than a real life friend.

Ya, tier 2 of the garrison building in minor settlements gives walls. I know Empire and the Dwarfs have it, not sure about the rest though.

Gracias. I'll definitely have to do that on the border towns.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Love when auto resolve gives me no chance, but then I get a decisive victory by myself with defensive tactics

Fitz

Does the +x% Casualty replenishment rate from farms stack globally? Or is it just applied to the province? I've mostly been ignoring farms, but if it's all going towards a global bonus, then it's probably worthwhile in settlements with spare slots.

danthefan

I really really want this but I just don't have the time or money :(

Glad it's being received well enough. I'd imagine it will be even better in a few patches time.

rdytoroll

My Dwarf campaign on normal has become a complete disaster after 50 or so turns. At first I won every battle and took a few settlements. I even got some other faction to join my confederation.

I'm not having too much trouble in battles (besides greenskins kiting my poor dwarfs like crazy), but everything on the campaign map has been going downhill for the past two hours. I overextended too fast in the beginning and now it's biting me in the ass. I could only field 3 armies and was overrun by Greenskin hordes.

All my armies were also spread too thin on the campaign map, which resulted in a few of my settlements getting sacked and being occupied. Public order and income has been going downhill too. I think in the next 2 turns there would have been a rebellion. Now they even came as far as my capital city, which I could defend with some effort. Grudges also kept piling up, one of them was to destroy like 5 armies of Undead which is pretty ridiculous considering that I had my hands full in the south. Well, it's been fun though getting my ass beat lol

I'm probably gonna start a campaign with the Empire. I'll revisit the dwarfs in the future.

I recommend this channel for videos https://www.youtube.com/user/LegendofTotalWar

he has a few campaign videos up atm

Been watching the Empire campaign on there, it's making me want to buy the game. The only reservation I have is that it seems like the least Total War-ish game that they've released. When playing Medieval 2 the actual fights were a secondary thing for that I fought when I felt like it whereas with this game it seems the be-all and end-all of it.

Decisions, decisions...

Well... maybe it was just luck or whatever, but I'm stomping pretty hard on normal. Feels too easy, where hard felt a bit unfair. Maybe one of the other campaigns will strike a better balance, but Dwarves feel a little weird because of how their situated. Either Waaghs stomp you out or you get ahead of it and steamroll a bit.

DSix

Banned
I kind of regret playing vampire first. The lack of any projectile attack is causing me a lot of tactical troubles.

In Total War my go to tactic is usually a good line of melee infantry protecting the archers (who are doing most of the damage), forcing the enemies to either try a charge or run away while my cavalery seeks any week point.

But as Vampires I have no idea how to handle things properly, my zombies are slow as shit and generally everything I do is week against projectiles. I understand that I should use flyer flanking but bats are generally very week and hard to keep alive for any reasonable amount of time.

What am I missing here?

Geist-

what type of races do you think CA will be adding later?
I'm thinking all the major races(Skaven, Elves(High, Dark, and Wood), Lizardmen, Tomb Kings, Brettonia, Chaos Dwarfs, and Ogre Kingdoms) since they're doing 2 major stand-alone expansions(think Fall of the Samurai level).

MikeDown

Banned
I'm thinking all the major races(Skaven, Elves(High, Dark, and Wood), Lizardmen, Tomb Kings, Brettonia, Chaos Dwarfs, and Ogre Kingdoms) since they're doing 2 major stand-alone expansions(think Fall of the Samurai level).
I wouldn't mind having amazons somewhere in the mix

DrSlek

Love when auto resolve gives me no chance, but then I get a decisive victory by myself with defensive tactics
I crushed 3 full Chaos armies with 1 and a half of my own this way. First I got lucky. They chased away my half army into the vicinity of a town and I got support from the garrison in the battle. Barely won with 3 units left.

Then I chased the second army all over my territory, but they were taking attrition from vampiric corruption the whole time. Their 3rd army showed up and both attacked my single army, with the attrition damaged army starting on a hill ahead of my deployment zone and the full reinforcing army entering behind my zone.

...so I rushed my army up hill and wiped out the damaged army, then charged downhill into the bigger army, killed both generals and caused a chain route.

Auto-complete would have had me lose both battles by an enormous margin.

nubbe

expanding the empire too much is really bad
You lose out on trade profits and you need to fight off raiders on many fronts which need a large army

Ketch

Had an ally ask for help with the vampires and I've killed two of their full armies but then my emporer was assassinated by a banshee on the campaign map and now I gotta wait 4 turns to resserect him and probably 4 more to walk him over.

Kinda sucks because I didn't even know that could happen. Everytime I learn how a system works I want to start over because usually I've been doing it wrong for 20 turns without even knowing it.

This is by far the easiest total war game I've tried to get into, I wasn't able to understand any of the other ones at all, but I still wish it had better tutorials.

4Tran

I'm thinking that the stand alones are probably going to be around the size of the first game, so they'll be more like Napoleon instead.

I wouldn't mind having amazons somewhere in the mix
I think that CA said somewhere that they were going to concentrate on the factions that have 8th Edition Armybooks, so they'll come really late if at all. Of the factions that don't have Armybooks, the likeliest to be playable is Kislev since they won't have to build too many new skeletons and it'd be nice to have one fewer Empire-clone. Still, CA does like having women units, so I won't say that Amazons are impossible.

Stiler

Started a new game as vampire counts, my last one was a disaster , not enough money and I had no idea what I was doing.

Can someone please explain what a good way is to keep public order up and get your growth up? Because the tutorial didn't really explain it (or I missed it).

I have a problem where I can't get my main building chain up, it says I need more growth. I need more money but my public order was low and even if I turned taxes off it only went up +2 tops, but I needed money to make a building to get growth....so confusing.

Just can someone tell me when starting out a good way to get growth and public order up without breaking your entire bank in the process?

Started a new game as vampire counts, my last one was a disaster , not enough money and I had no idea what I was doing.

Can someone please explain what a good way is to keep public order up and get your growth up? Because the tutorial didn't really explain it (or I missed it).

I have a problem where I can't get my main building chain up, it says I need more growth. I need more money but my public order was low and even if I turned taxes off it only went up +2 tops, but I needed money to make a building to get growth....so confusing.

Just can someone tell me when starting out a good way to get growth and public order up without breaking your entire bank in the process?
Keeping an army in a city increases public order and sometimes a hero. If you own all the settlements in a region you can make decrees that increase public order by 2 in the region. Also you can construct buildings that increase order and one that will increase growth.

Oh man I just intercepted my enemies legendary lord army underground and demolished it only losing 180 men. I then proceeded to turn the tide and kill 3 remaining armies (2 of which were highly skilled waaghs) and only lost an additional 300 men. Dwarf guns, too stronk.

This is how I feel right now. I can crush all the Waaagh's I want but this guy is stupidly annoying.

8f2b81e02b.png

Corpekata

Banned
I think that's just a comparison of your military power. It can help when making threats in diplomacy.

I mean, I don't know how I raise it. If my army is strong enough to field against these enemies, you'd think I'd have a higher rating so I can make those threats.

The damn agents ended my chaos campaign. Basically halted my armies and ground them into dust. I started a VC campaign that's going well. Their units are cool.
Edit: the 1 means you're first.

Geist-

I'm thinking that the stand alones are probably going to be around the size of the first game, so they'll be more like Napoleon instead.

I mean, they'll have a ton of effort put into them, unique armies aren't easy, but it's not like it's a new campaign upgraded graphics, UI and mechanics, it's the same game with new armies and an expanded Grand Campaign map. At least, that's what I've gotten from what CA has said.

frontovik

Banned
Any tips for playing as the Empire; with regards to military and unit composition? Should they rely on concentrated fire and prolonged melee with infantry? Or are they dependent on commanders to provide leadership bonuses?

I've fought Dwarves and Bretonnians, and they both managed to slaughter my men who fled after a few seconds of melee. I've found that cannon fodde- ahem, swordsmen to be quite useless, and crossbowmen don't seem to pack a punch either.

I'm thinking I have to tech fast to an army composed mostly of halberdiers, and supported by greatswords and handgunners.

Is there any way to make my heroes better?
They have really low success rates for assassinations etc

I mean they pretty much always will, just by attempting actions or fighting in battles they will level. But your assasination chance will never be like 50+% unless you are multiple levels higher than the enemy. It's a small chance usually, but the chance to actually get wounded or killed from a failure is generally very low too. 24-30% is usually pretty damn good without skills specifically for assassination.

ISee

Binabik15

I want this but my pc would melt :(

PS: No, GW, this does *not* mean you should blow up Creative Assembly's source code and replace all copies with Total War: Stormcast Eternals made by some shovewlware dev D:

Well, my second play through as Empire just failed. It was around turn 70 or so and everything was actually going really well. Then out of nowhere this Chaos blob comes and kills Franz and his army, it was 1500 vs 3000 and my other army was too busy elsewhere to help.

Debating if I should try Empire again or try something else.

Top Bottom