• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toukiden: The Age of Demons |OT| "very f*ckable." -@tecmokoeieurope

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So! In the end I favor this over Danganronpa. But change of plans, from the digital version to the physical version.

Also bought Bravely Default, heh.

Abylim

Heeey, I was one of the first to give my PSN and I'm not in the op!

PSN Abylim
Character Abylim

As the release date draws closer I'm wanting it more. I'm finding it hard to get into any game right now, just looking forward to this!

Abylim

For Australians NOT going Digital on Toukiden, you may want to reconsider.

JB Hifi has finally listed the game for preorder, not only is it $59 - $11 more expensive than the digital version and without any preorder bonuses, they've listed it as being released on the 27th so you'll have to wait a good 2 weeks to even get it.

Really ridiculous how little effort goes into promoting and releasing Vita games here. They dropped the ball even worse than usual on this release though.

Wow, thats horrible.
Ohwell, Digital it is. Heres hoping they price Ys more reasonably!

Eeek! Double post, sorry >_<

I called Amazon and it seems like release day shipping isn't available for this game. Switched to one day so I can get it on Wednesday. Maybe that'll give everyone enough time to catch up with me (bought everything in the demo). First time Prime has let me down. :/

killatopak

Gold Member
I called Amazon and it seems like release day shipping isn't available for this game. Switched to one day so I can get it on Wednesday. Maybe that'll give everyone enough time to catch up with me (bought everything in the demo). First time Prime has let me down. :/

Good for you but here in my country the earliest I can have a physical copy of Toukiden in R1 is by next week. ;__;

Now whether I go digital or not depends if they can release it faster.

nynt9

how long did it take you to reach the end? is there a lot to do in endgame?

Can't exactly remember, but it was definitely over 20 hours. There's a lot of stuff, you can do harder extra non-story missions and multiplayer.

Can you rank difficulty of the game compared to all hunting games?

Hmm. This is kinda tough, because the game doesn't really punish you via you dying. You just waste a lot of time on one encounter via death zerging. That being said, it's harder than Ragnarok Odyssey, not as hard as Monster Hunter. Actually, it's about on par with Dynasty Warriors games.

Shame about the no bonus for digital on the US front of PSN, but I'm still grabbing the game there. Cleaning up my friendlist later so I'll be able to add you folks from here when the game is out! PSN - Hyperfludd.

killatopak

Gold Member
Can't exactly remember, but it was definitely over 20 hours. There's a lot of stuff, you can do harder extra non-story missions and multiplayer.

Hmm. This is kinda tough, because the game doesn't really punish you via you dying. You just waste a lot of time on one encounter via death zerging. That being said, it's harder than Ragnarok Odyssey, not as hard as Monster Hunter. Actually, it's about on par with Dynasty Warriors games.

I see. Thanks.

They definitely have to change that in the sequel or at least restrict the amounts of death you can have.

nynt9

I see. Thanks.

They definitely have to change that in the sequel or at least restrict the amounts of death you can have.

To be fair, I'd say I'm quite good at the game and I have never had a full party wipe so I can't tell if there is a punishment for that.

Shengar

That doesn't sound like a compliment lol
Well, that being said I hope there will DLC where we could taste DW's chaos mode.

nynt9

That doesn't sound like a compliment lol
Well, that being said I hope there will DLC where we could taste DW's chaos mode.

I'd say that the game isn't difficult, just challenging, if that makes sense. If you don't utilize your skills properly, dodge attacks etc then you will spend like 45 minutes on a demon you could have killed in 15. Do you still kill the demon either way? Sure, but you waste your own time if you're not good. To me that's a worse punishment than dying and starting over.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Fanboy. lol

As if MH isn't a repetitive game. :p

Now, I haven't played Toukiden outside of the demo, and I've put in hundreds of hours into the MH games, but I can say that even when I'm doing the exact same thing 15 times in a row in MH, it just never "felt" repetitive.

killatopak

Gold Member
Now, I haven't played Toukiden outside of the demo, and I've put in hundreds of hours into the MH games, but I can say that even when I'm doing the exact same thing 15 times in a row in MH, it just never "felt" repetitive.

That's the exact definition of repetitive even if you yourself didn't find it to be.

I've played MH myself and it's not exactly repetitive when you're having fun doing it. What I'm saying here is perhaps the reviewer didn't find the game to his tastes because I sure as hell didn't find killing Manhunter 150 times in the demo to be repetitive.

BgIB8SXCMAEYzT0.jpg

yea game reveiwers need to stop it with those kind of arguments. they make no sense

Yeah, just because MH is the most widely popular hunting game there is doesn't mean that other hunting games can't be good or just as good. Yes, MH is the best in the genre but Toukiden can give it a run for its money.

Ridley327

Hardcoregamer review:

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/02/10/review-toukiden-the-age-of-demons/73588/

3.5/5
personally i don't see how repetitiveness is a downside. all games are repetitive by nature. and the closing comment is silly. why hold Monster Hunter on some super high pedestal that no other game can reach?

If there's a lack of unique content, the feel of repetition will set in much sooner. With Toukiden being the first game of its series, the smaller monster count makes sense, but it's not going to compare favorably to what we're used to with Monster Hunter these days, which are in the dozens.

I don't have sky-high expectations for Toukiden for that reason, because it's starting at square one. That being said, even Monster Hunter was like that at one point, and look where it is now.

Shengar

Fanboy. lol

As if MH isn't a repetitive game. :p

Let's not jumped to that conclusion, shall we?
Also skimmed the article, I only found this phrase where he indicate what makes the game repetitive.

Don’t get me wrong; when you fight each colossal boss for the first time it feels incredibly satisfying finding its attack patterns and weaknesses, but it’s when they use that same boss as the basis for multiple missions that it becomes concerning.

Well the only I could said its: This is a first generation game, are you expecting this to have the same amount as MH3U did? While what Ridley have said it's true that lack of content will make the repetition feel come sooner, expecting the amount of content where a hunting action game have different monster for its main quest in the first generation isn't fair. If the reviewer acknowledge this (lack of unique content, specifying it being the number of monters species) and bring up hard fact with comparing it to the first MonHun which have 17 monsters (including 3 online only monster I think), I can accept the argument, as Toukiden only have 12 onis (recolored sub species don't count I think).

Also saying "Monster Hunter killer" is down right silly as action hunting game is like Souls game aka you'll never get enough of them as long as they have solid gameplay and strong differentiation factor (monster being the core of it). I can pour 3 hours to SS, then jumped to MH afterward for 3 hours without feeling burned of the genre.

killatopak

Gold Member
Let's not jumped to that conclusion, shall we?
Also skimmed the article, I only found this phrase where he indicate what makes the game repetitive.

Don&#8217;t get me wrong; when you fight each colossal boss for the first time it feels incredibly satisfying finding its attack patterns and weaknesses, but it&#8217;s when they use that same boss as the basis for multiple missions that it becomes concerning.

Well the only I could said its: This is a first generation game, are you expecting this to have the same amount as MH3U did? While what Ridley have said it's true that lack of content will make the repetition feel come sooner, expecting the amount of content where a hunting action game have different monster for its main quest in the first generation isn't fair. If the reviewer acknowledge this (lack of unique content, specifying it being the number of monters species) and bring up hard fact with comparing it to the first MonHun which have 17 monsters (including 3 online only monster I think), I can accept the argument, as Toukiden only have 12 onis (recolored sub species don't count I think).

Don't take my comment too seriously. You did notice the lol right?

It's definitely lacks content compared to MH but that's not exactly a fair comparison. Let's just hope that by the time the sequel is released they should have enough content to be comparable to MHFU at least.

This game is interesting enough in its own right to be enjoyed by many and not branded as an MH clone to the dot. It's definitely an amalgamation of many different games. You can see its roots is MH, SS and DW. It combines some of the best qualities that those games have and removes the redundant aspects of those games. That I think is one of the things that I liked in this game.

Also saying "Monster Hunter killer" is down right silly as action hunting game is like Souls game aka you'll never get enough of them as long as they have solid gameplay and strong differentiation factor (monster being the core of it). I can pour 3 hours to SS, then jumped to MH afterward for 3 hours without feeling burned of the genre.

I cannot stress how infuriating it is when game journalists pull the "*Game* killer" word. It's like one has to be better than something at everything right at the get go. And yes, as long as you have fun in a particular genre be it FPS or RPGs one can't get burned out that easily.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
That's the exact definition of repetitive even if you yourself didn't find it to be.

I've played MH myself and it's not exactly repetitive when you're having fun doing it. What I'm saying here is perhaps the reviewer didn't find the game to his tastes because I sure as hell didn't find killing Manhunter 150 times in the demo to be repetitive.

Yeah, I guess my point is that sometimes even if it IS repetitive, it doesn't FEEL like it, and that's what makes MH great. Not saying this game isn't - we'll see tomorrow - but I can understand how not every game captures that awesome feeling.

killatopak

Gold Member

I cannot see the reason why copying MH is bad. Isn't copying the good stuff of something considered good? Of course not morally good but objectively good. Bill Gates didn't make Windows to be the most used OS without copying a rather large amount of stuff from the Apple OS.

Repetitive gets used again but I can forgive that since the hunting genre itself is repetitive.

Weapons moveset are too basic? The Japanese themselves who are huge fans of MH were pleasantly surprised with most of the weapons this game had.

Though not a particularly bad looking game, Toukiden does little to push the Vita to its limits.

I don't know about pushing the Vita to its limits but Toukiden is one of the most graphically beautiful games that I've played in it.

I'm not trying to white knight here but I can see some form of exaggeration in the reviews.

I do have my own problems regarding the game such as item sharing and why you can't access the stores or the blacksmith while in the online lobby but I fear they aren't being addressed in the reviews. Shame they didn't put that. The scores would have been more believable otherwise.

Ridley327

I do have my own problems regarding the game such as item sharing and why you can't access the stores or the blacksmith while in the online lobby but I fear they aren't being addressed in the reviews. Shame they didn't put that. The scores would have been more believable otherwise.

What do you expect, though? Most of the reviewers aren't going to be the guys who spend dozens of hours on these kinds of games in the first place, so important stuff like that is going to be pushed to the wayside for much broader criticisms.

But yeah, that graphics comment is really weird. Maybe it's not pushing shaders like Uncharted or Killzone, but it's super clean, has nice shadowing, and runs at a very solid framerate, and all of that at native res. It's definitely in the upper echelon of Vita graphics.

Zalusithix

Got 1-day shipping on this from Amazon with a estimate delivery date of...tomorrow!

Delivery estimate of Thursday here with 2 day shipping (prime). I guess they're not shipping out everything at once. Not that it really bothers me much now. EQN Landmark came out of nowhere and has consumed absurd amounts of my free time. I have no clue how I'm going to juggle EQNL, Toukiden and Bravely Default. Need more hours in the day (that aren't spent working)...

Edit: Just got shipping notification from Amazon. So that'll make it Wednesday delivery. Given it's one state away, delivery tomorrow is possible, but unlikely.

Ogawa-san

SixAxis' review make it sound like it's a lower average-looking Vita game...

I wonder what the reviewer would have to say about SS.

Farming Manhunter for the hell of it and would love some company.

Room name: Gaf
Password: gaf

Region Setting: All <<<I think specifying English Version / All should be standard for when we start making rooms for GAF in the full game because of the idiotic way the search filter works.

People who have "All" selected will not find rooms where the host is set to English Version and people set to English Version will not find people set to "All" even if they ARE playing the English version.

For those who don't know, you change your Region Setting in-game by:

Start -> Settings -> System Settings -> Network connection.

Edit: The room is down, by the way. I waited half an hour so I'll just try again later.

Feonix

Hey guys, I'll be picking this up once it's out. Going to try to specialize in Bow/Spirit or Bow/Healing.

PSN: Feonix

maouvin

Region Setting: All <<<I think specifying English Version / All should be standard for when we start making rooms for GAF in the full game because of the idiotic way the search filter works.

Any special reason to use "All"?

Yes, I'm assuming everyone here will get an "English Version"-compatible version, hence the question.

killatopak

Gold Member

Yes, I'm assuming everyone here will get an "English Version"-compatible version, hence the question.

To include R3 and japanese regions. Maybe even yhe R2 and R1 regions are seperated even if they are both english regions.

This:

To include R3 and japanese regions. Maybe even yhe R2 and R1 regions are seperated even if they are both english regions.

Of course, if you find that you just never have good network experiences with people from other regions, then definitely set it to "English Version" but make sure you specify if you're trying to get a room going.

Zalusithix

Hey guys, I'll be picking this up once it's out. Going to try to specialize in Bow/Spirit or Bow/Healing.

PSN: Feonix

Enemy encounters are going to have to be a lot harder for the healing type to make much sense. Every mitama has a large stock of personal healing and the shrines to replenish that stock are quite common...

That and I question if healing is best suited for bow users given it's caster centered AoE. Sure there's the aspect of "retreat to the safe spot and heal", but retreating is damage lost. Throwing the healing circle down in melee range will hit every non bow user with healing while they're still doing damage.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I have a feeling i'm going to be picking this up with Dangit ronpan tomorrow, I'm curious if lamestop will have extras since it is more of a niche title.

nynt9

Enemy encounters are going to have to be a lot harder for the healing type to make much sense. Every mitama has a large stock of personal healing and the shrines to replenish that stock are quite common...

That and I question if healing is best suited for bow users given it's caster centered AoE. Sure there's the aspect of "retreat to the safe spot and heal", but retreating is damage lost. Throwing the healing circle down in melee range will hit every non bow user with healing while they're still doing damage.

There are encounters later in the game where managing your spells becomes more important, as there are enemies that have attacks that deal massive damage and have a lot of health. I've run out of healing spells, replenished them via praying at the small obelisk things, then ran out of them again. The NPC in my party who occasionally drops the AOE healing spell has bee a blessing in those battles.

Top Bottom