• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toukiden: The Age of Demons |OT| "very f*ckable." -@tecmokoeieurope

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Well it's not like she's bad, mind you; in fact I have said that the artwork for everyone is really pretty, especially the girls <3

It's just that, for me she is the lesser of all the prettiest females <3 Still pretty and awesome, but not as pretty and awesome as the rest of the gang <3

God I can't wait for Thursday already, sheezzzz.

Just got an update from Amazon, should be in tomorrow! Too bad I'll be working all night.

Just set my Vita to NAT type 1, so I'm ready for whenever I can actually play!

killatopak

Gold Member
Should I go digital? I don't wanna be late to the party. R3 versions are already sold here much earlier but R1 are sold so so late. Probably by next week.

Ken

Can you target parts individually on monsters? I'm on the manhunter thing and I forgot everything from the tutorial boss lol.

Can you target parts individually on monsters? I'm on the manhunter thing and I forgot everything from the tutorial boss lol.

If I recall correctly, it depends on what weapon type you're using. Spear and Bow can definitely target lock onto specific parts but I don't remember off the top of my head how to do it. As a savage gauntlet user, I don't know the meaning of the words "lock on".

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Should I go digital? I don't wanna be late to the party. R3 versions are already sold here much earlier but R1 are sold so so late. Probably by next week.

Where do you live exactly? Singapore?

I managed to get one, R1 physical, delivered on Thursday. Guess I am lucky.

Yeah you can. You can even lock-on to individual parts to make it easier... well, for bows anyways... Not really sure about any other weapon.

Hmm... what do you folks think will be the least popular weapon? I am thinking of make whatever it is the least popular as my main... you know, because I am a unique snowflake and all that, hahaha.

I don't fully understand "repetition" claims on this sort of game. It is what it is. I play Soul Sacrifice off and on, still, and I like the repetitive nature of it. I enjoy it.

Well, probably a warning for 1st time players, though I suppose only those who have been conditioned by games like JRPGs or hunting games will actually look at games like Toukiden in the first place.

killatopak

Gold Member

Yeah you can. You can even lock-on to individual parts to make it easier... well, for bows anyways... Not really sure about any other weapon.

Hmm... what do you folks think will be the least popular weapon? I am thinking of make whatever it is the least popular as my main... you know, because I am a unique snowflake and all that, hahaha.
I live in the Philippines. I tried reserving the game a week early so they had a lot on stock but unfortunately didn't have R1 on stock. Lots of R3 ones though.

I don't think there would be a least popular since every weapon is good but if I had to name some due to the difficulty in mastering it would be the gauntlets and the sickle

i ordered it from a slow retailer (import). i don't have problems waiting 3-5 days. have enough stuff to play atm and still not done with the demo.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I live in the Philippines. I tried reserving the game a week early so they had a lot on stock but unfortunately didn't have R1 on stock. Lots of R3 ones though.

I don't think there would be a least popular since every weapon is good but if I had to name some due to the difficulty in mastering it would be the gauntlets and the sickle

We have quite a number of R1 copies here... quite many, actually. My guess is many of the R1 copies on the immediate area of Singapore and your country are actually brought wholesale by sellers in my country, leaving you folks with none left, hahaha.

Anyways... Sickle seems popular though! Probably the gauntlet eh... maybe I should just make a female character... there is a certain satisfaction seeing a pretty petite young lady punching large monsters with oversized boxing gloves, hahaha
but I guess I'll stick to male character so I can fantasize my avatar having a romance with Oka/Nagi :p

killatopak

Gold Member
I think I'm going digital. It works better for me anyway now that the P4G cart will be permanently stuck on my Vita.

I think I'm going digital. It works better for me anyway now that the P4G cart will be permanently stuck on my Vita.

Unrelated, but I'm an idiot and I just now noticed that there are two more pages with even more information on the google doc. I'm pretty much in awe of how much work you did in such a short amount of time and I'm really sorry I couldn't help more. Therefore, I've made a small edit to the credits at the top of the first page.

Edit: I will absolutely help you add all the English names for skills/bosses/etc. tomorrow as I play.

killatopak

Gold Member
Unrelated, but I'm an idiot and I just now noticed that there are two more pages with even more information on the google doc. I'm pretty much in awe of how much work you did in such a short amount of time and I'm really sorry I couldn't help more. Therefore, I've made a small edit to the credits at the top of the first page.

lol.

Totally fine though. The fact that you helped me is the truth anyway.

Ken

If I recall correctly, it depends on what weapon type you're using. Spear and Bow can definitely target lock onto specific parts but I don't remember off the top of my head how to do it. As a savage gauntlet user, I don't know the meaning of the words "lock on".

Was using spear and didn't seem like I could do it. Oh well, he died but things got rough when he was in rampage mode or whatever lol. Is it 3 deaths before you fail the mission like in MH?

What exactly is the special move of the Sickle?

ramyeon

Was using spear and didn't seem like I could do it. Oh well, he died but things got rough when he was in rampage mode or whatever lol. Is it 3 deaths before you fail the mission like in MH?
Yeah but it's hard to get proper "deaths" in Toukiden from what I've seen. Before dying you get knocked out and you can retreat (This will count as a death) or your NPC party members or online party can revive you (This doesn't count as a death). Simply put I guess it's 3 retreats and you fail.

Ken

Yeah but it's hard to get proper "deaths" in Toukiden from what I've seen. Before dying you get knocked out and you can retreat (This will count as a death) or your NPC party members or online party can revive you (This doesn't count as a death). Simply put I guess it's 3 retreats and you fail.

I see. Things got kind of crazy when me and the other AI went down in a corner and the manhunter kept spamming his spin thing while the last AI partner kept trying to spam revive.

Anyways, fun game now that I got to try out the spear. Glad I picked it up. What's a good first upgrade for armor/weapon? Is gear monster themed like in MH?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

What exactly is the special move of the Sickle?

Special move? Sickle is the only weapon where you can hook an enemy/any part of the enemy and propels the MC towards it to attack, IIRC. Kind of like Attack of Titan, if you are familiar with it.

Ken

It drains your agility but allows you to combo anything into the grapple move so you can stay airborne much longer by combing grapples into each other.

Er, agility? Like speed? And isn't the grapple a charge square? Need a sample combo to understand it. @_@

ramyeon

Er, agility? Like speed? And isn't the grapple a charge square? Need a sample combo to understand it. @_@
My bad, I meant stamina. Essentially it's increasing your attack speed, but the biggest benefit of that is being able to do more stuff while airborne including letting off another grapple to keep yourself airborne longer.

IzzyF3

I don't fully understand "repetition" claims on this sort of game. It is what it is. I play Soul Sacrifice off and on, still, and I like the repetitive nature of it. I enjoy it.

I think the review cycle means they have to finish games in only a few sittings. Personally, I'd love to play a repetitive game like this on the go.

Korten

Banned
I always feel the criticism in the Hunting Genre games of: "Repetitiveness," doesn't hold any water. Why? Because it's inherit within the genre. As much as I love Monster Hunter, and while there is quite a bit of content, it's still really REALLY repetitive, and I don't mean that in a bad way. There isn't any way of getting around it.

Abylim

How much "relationship" stuff is in this game?

Is there any romancing and what not? I usually play female, but if its a wafiu game I play as a male.

ramyeon

How much "relationship" stuff is in this game?

Is there any romancing and what not? I usually play female, but if its a wafiu game I play as a male.
This is not a waifu game.

But people who are into that thing seem to make any anime influenced game into one.

Abylim

Yeah the only thing I saw was something to do with hot springs.

Eh, I have played a fair bit with this character, probably too lazy to start over at this stage.
It's nothing compared to most of you, havent killed Manhunter 150 times or anything :p But finished the demo, and got a few spears and bows decently upgraded.

ramyeon

I try to block any "waifu" talk out as much as possible.

It kind of ruined Fire Emblem Awakening for me because the community for that game was really hard to stomach. Going into threads about that game felt like entering a room of virgins who had never laid eyes on a real woman before.

Now it's spread so much that people are using it even when romantic relationships aren't an in-game mechanic, the term really needs to disappear.

Makes me sound like a grouch but it's a peeve of mine :/

The PSN page for Toukiden is taunting me by saying it'll be ready for download in 1 day when it's actually more like 2 :/

Abylim

It kind of ruined Fire Emblem Awakening for me because the community for that game was really hard to stomach. Going into threads about that game felt like entering a room of virgins who had never laid eyes on a real woman before.

Now it's spread so much that people are using it even when romantic relationships aren't an in-game mechanic, the term really needs to disappear.

The PSN page for Toukiden is taunting me by saying it'll be ready for download in 1 day when it's actually more like 2 :/

To be fair, saying someone is fuckable(Like what TK said in the tweet) can be misleading. That combined with others throwing around waifu, I dont think its too crazy to think there would be some confusion.

ramyeon

To be fair, saying someone is fuckable(Like what TK said in the tweet) can be misleading. That combined with others throwing around waifu, I dont think its too crazy to think there would be some confusion.
Oh yeah, I wasn't talking specifically about Toukiden, just in general pretty much. The tweet from Koei is totally misleading but it was just a joke really.

That's why i said OT shouldn't be named like that.

RalchAC

Well, I think it depends on the mood of the conversation. On the PSN thread we often talk about Persona 4 "waifus" but we're pretty much joking. I don't think anybody takes to seriously that stuff.

I agree not every game needs that kind of mechanics. But I actually like them when they're done well enough. They can add some inmersion and improve the overall experience with a good execution.

How does that "friendship meter" in Toukiden work? Does it improve damage or other character capabilities?

Abylim

That's why i said OT shouldn't be named like that.

Yeah, I now read fuckable as a compliment, instead of descriptive, or indicative of something more lol

To be honest I find a lot of it cringeworthy (Valhalla Knights 3 was ridiculous) but I like how Persona 3 and 4 handle relationships.

I have done all that I can in the demo. Did all the training, made every weapon and armor. I could level all my mitamas to 3, but meh.
Would rather wait for the full game so I'm not constantly capped on mats and haku!

ramyeon

Well, I think it depends on the mood of the conversation. On the PSN thread we often talk about Persona 4 "waifus" but we're pretty much joking. I don't think anybody takes to seriously that stuff.

I agree not every game needs that kind of mechanics. But I actually like them when they're done well enough. They can add some inmersion and improve the overall experience with a good execution.

How does that "friendship meter" in Toukiden work? Does it improve damage or other character capabilities?
If the mechanic is done tastefully I like it. I don't mind the mechanic itself it's more the kinds of conversations it creates. 90% of all talk about Fire Emblem for example is about who is "my waifu" and I just don't find that interesting at all. In extreme cases like FE:A I feel like it actually detracts from the dialogue about the game and really turned me off discussing it here.

I like how it's done in Persona because relationships with people are an important aspect of the game from a story perspective. Not gonna jump online and start claiming such and such character as my waifu though, I'm too old for that business lol.

Not sure exactly how friendship changes characters in this game but the wiki says it affects characters differently depending on their role so I can imagine some boosts in battle and maybe discounts or something for the townspeople?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Ouch ramyeon, all the waifu talk really ruffle your feathers huh. Well for my part its just a little bit of harmless fun and joking around; it is not something that I consider serious in any capacity, just a fun thing to say every now and then.

ramyeon

Ouch ramyeon, all the waifu talk really ruffle your feathers huh. Well for my part its just a little bit of harmless fun and joking around; it is not something that I consider serious in any capacity, just a fun thing to say every now and then.
Nah not really. It's just a talking point and I'm bored at the moment.

It's only really an issue when it drowns out actually interesting conversation about games.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm kind of with ramyeon. I'm not going to prevent any of you guys from taking about it, but I think there's must be something more meaningful to say than spooging on about whatever imaginary character made you swoon most in whatever medium. Even if it's a joke, it's the same stuff that (seriously) permeates tumblr and every other den of obsessed fan boys/girls.

Shengar

People just become over-enthusiastic because Manhunter already hunted to extinction. Don't worry guys, when game's out, we'll talking about onis and gears.

krossj

Some hype:

sfK0QHT.jpg

Awesome! I was hoping they would have multiple oni at the same time quests like MH and SS.

Twinduct

I agree. Hazubando talk is really been censored and needs some real attention.
On the flipside, trying to power through SS right now in hopes to finish it before Thursday

Top Bottom