• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toukiden: The Age of Demons |OT| "very f*ckable." -@tecmokoeieurope

maouvin

To include R3 and japanese regions. Maybe even yhe R2 and R1 regions are seperated even if they are both english regions.

This:

Of course, if you find that you just never have good network experiences with people from other regions, then definitely set it to "English Version" but make sure you specify if you're trying to get a room going.

Sure, to play with other regions.
I completely forgot that Asia is getting the game this week too, and since US and EU can play together with "english version" enabled (I played with two gaffers that got the EU demo afaik) I assumed it'd be a waste to use the non-default option since R3's online would be dead by now.

But, as far as GAF go, are there people going for the R3 version? I never heard of a R3 vitacat not using an US account :p

edit: and can't really say how my connection fares playing with "all" enabled, since I never found a lobby that way lol

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I guess that from reviewers i have to expect the same kind of treatment that SS got, saying anything to make it look mediocre, cause you know monster hunter is the only one that has the right to exist, even worse it's on Vita! Who's the fool that thought that a monster hunting game on Vita was a good idea?
:/

Feonix

Enemy encounters are going to have to be a lot harder for the healing type to make much sense. Every mitama has a large stock of personal healing and the shrines to replenish that stock are quite common...

That and I question if healing is best suited for bow users given it's caster centered AoE. Sure there's the aspect of "retreat to the safe spot and heal", but retreating is damage lost. Throwing the healing circle down in melee range will hit every non bow user with healing while they're still doing damage.

/shrug

Like I said, "try". I think the Bow/Spirit option will be better, but I don't know for sure and I doubt anybody here really knows. Healing Mitama has more than just the AOE heal, anyway. IDK.

Zalusithix

There are encounters later in the game where managing your spells becomes more important, as there are enemies that have attacks that deal massive damage and have a lot of health. I've run out of healing spells, replenished them via praying at the small obelisk things, then ran out of them again. The NPC in my party who occasionally drops the AOE healing spell has bee a blessing in those battles.

Good to know. If things remained anywhere near what they were like in the demo, that mitama would be pretty lackluster. Still wouldn't have been as bad as luck though. (I hate leaving things to chance.)

/shrug

Like I said, "try". I think the Bow/Spirit option will be better, but I don't know for sure and I doubt anybody here really knows. Healing Mitama has more than just the AOE heal, anyway. IDK.

My comment was just based on demo experience, and was more or less meant to bring up discussion on the healing type mitama and uses of it. Compared to the others introduced in the demo, the healing mitama didn't really have a "roll" in a properly functioning group for the main encounter.

One more long boring day of work tomorrow to go. Gonna bring my vita to work and connect to their wifi to download toukiden during the day. Won't be able to play till I get home since I'm always too busy at work anymore, but at least I will have the game ready to go right when I get home. Can't wait.

I thankfully only have one class tomorrow from 8am - 8:50 am. Right after that it's straight to gamestop and I'll be playing for the next 15-ish hours.

Zalusithix

Haha, yeah, almost always do.

Side note, I just did a 4 player Manhunter and we finished in 2:45 with all parts broken. I said goddamn.

Maxed out gear + people that know what they should be doing after killing the thing dozens of times + a bit of luck with the PUG working in harmony. We're probably at the peak of community skill right now. Anybody still playing can probably do the encounter blindfolded. Come tomorrow with all the new players and new encounters, it'll be back into chaos mode. =)

Still, chaos can be fun. It might not be a "beat the clock" sort of accomplishment, but making something work even when nothing is going right is it's own sort of reward.

Feonix

My comment was just based on demo experience, and was more or less meant to bring up discussion on the healing type mitama and uses of it. Compared to the others introduced in the demo, the healing mitama didn't really have a "roll" in a properly functioning group for the main encounter.

Fair enough. Though to be honest, the demo was kind of faceroll easy all the way through. I'm sure the full game will end up much harder.

Fair enough. Though to be honest, the demo was kind of faceroll easy all the way through. I'm sure the full game will end up much harder.

According to people in the thread, the Japanese demo was apparently harder.

Maxed out gear + people that know what they should be doing after killing the thing dozens of times + a bit of luck with the PUG working in harmony. We're probably at the peak of community skill right now. Anybody still playing can probably do the encounter blindfolded. Come tomorrow with all the new players and new encounters, it'll be back into chaos mode. =)

Still, chaos can be fun. It might not be a "beat the clock" sort of accomplishment, but making something work even when nothing is going right is it's own sort of reward.

Now there's an idea...

maouvin

We getting some reviews before release?

A few:

Embargo is over! Here's my review: http://www.savecontinue.com/2014/02/review-toukiden-the-age-of-demons/

Also I'm at the end of the game, so feel free to ask me questions regarding the game.

Hardcoregamer review:

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/02/10/review-toukiden-the-age-of-demons/73588/

3.5/5
personally i don't see how repetitiveness is a downside. all games are repetitive by nature. and the closing comment is silly. why hold Monster Hunter on some super high pedestal that no other game can reach?

Ketch

I've gone from zero to 60 on this game in the last 5 hours. Never heard of it before today, and I'm so excited that it's coming out tomorrow.

Shengar

There are encounters later in the game where managing your spells becomes more important, as there are enemies that have attacks that deal massive damage and have a lot of health. I've run out of healing spells, replenished them via praying at the small obelisk things, then ran out of them again. The NPC in my party who occasionally drops the AOE healing spell has bee a blessing in those battles.

This sounds like, really good. Can't wait for the game :D
Also, how many story chapters are there?

Ken

Hm, Gamestop has copies, I'm still churning away at Bravely, and I didn't enjoy the demo too much. But then again the waifu power is strong in this one. What to do...

Ken

According to Tecmo Koei Europe's Instagram anyone who completed the demo will get this bonus gear once they transfer their save to the full game:

http://instagram.com/p/kP5YjCsO7V/

How do you finish the demo? I don't think I did.

iqcffi3hGtUGK.jpg

Got my copy. That one page manual. :eek:

Ken

I'd assume you complete all the missions that were available in it up until the Windshredder appears and you get the thanks for playing splash screen.

Bleh, never got that far. Oh well, can't be bothered to go back to do it now lol.

So these quests from petitioners like, cheeky child or whatever, how do I go about turning them in? Do I have to find the NPC themselves?

Bleh, never got that far. Oh well, can't be bothered to go back to do it now lol.

So these quests from petitioners like, cheeky child or whatever, how do I go about turning them in? Do I have to find the NPC themselves?

No, just hit X again on the quest in the list when you've fulfilled the requirements. It's all very faceless.

Jobbs

Banned
How have I not heard of this?

I downloaded the demo, and it seems at a glance to kind of be a monster hunter/soul sacrifice type game.

Gameplay and graphics seem pretty on point. Why are the weapons so friggin enormous, though? It's comical. :)

ramyeon

I wasn't going to post this in case people don't want to be spoiled, but this is too good to pass:
Heh, you could always just link it so people have a choice to see it or not ;) although I don't really consider anything in games like this spoilers, some people do.

Airgetlam

I downloaded the demo, and it seems at a glance to kind of be a monster hunter/soul sacrifice type game.

Gameplay and graphics seem pretty on point. Why are the weapons so friggin enormous, though? It's comical. :)
They do look pretty silly. But then again the bosses you fight are also enormous.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I'd assume you complete all the missions that were available in it up until the Windshredder appears and you get the thanks for playing splash screen.

Heh, I need to finish it then, the bonus armor looks cool.

I mean, I already finished using a girl character, but I restarted and now using a male character.

That ending to the demo really made me laugh. So abrupt.

I will mostly play with helmet off though... the helmets so far look so goofy.

I hope you end up getting it. It'd be cool to play with the dev of my most anticipated indie game. But yeah, the comical size of the weapons is what made me not pick gauntlets from the start of the demo, and now they're my main weapon.

Heh, I need to finish it then, the bonus armor looks cool.

I mean, I already finished using a girl character, but I restarted and now using a male character.

That ending to the demo really made me laugh. So abrupt.

I will mostly play with helmet off though... the helmets so far look so goofy.

Do you mean actually off, or just hidden?

Guymelef

I hate the demo because the items/money limit and i was waiting for the retail game, now i must finish demo for the bonus item...
Hate to sell items after every mission.

ramyeon

I hate the demo because the items/money limit and i was waiting for the retail game, now i must finish demo for the bonus item...
Hate to sell items after every mission.
There are heaps of useless materials you can sell and get back easily if you ever need them. You can blaze through the missions in the demo too, there aren't that many.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I read the reviews posted here; I don't see anything necessarily glaringly wrong with what they said, unlike some of you seem to imply.

Comparison to MonHun is inevitable, since this game does indeed borrow many elements from it, and it's not like they're wrong saying that this game can be repetitive, because it does.

Well, that wouldn't stop me from enjoying it though. Can't wait for Thursday when this and Bravely Default come together to my sweet, sweet embrace.

Do you mean actually off, or just hidden?

Hidden. That bonus stat is nice, but I want to stare at my MC's hair more than to look at their mostly goofy designs, hahaha.

ramyeon

I read the reviews posted here; I don't see anything necessarily glaringly wrong with what they said, unlike some of you seem to imply.

Comparison to MonHun is inevitable, since this game does indeed borrow many elements from it, and it's not like they're wrong saying that this game can be repetitive, because it does.

Well, that wouldn't stop me from enjoying it though. Can't wait for Thursday when this and Bravely Default come together to my sweet, sweet embrace.
There's definitely an element of repetition that is required in games like Monster Hunter but the point is that they aren't without reward. There's no experience or levelling up so your growth in the game comes in part from gear upgrades but mostly from actual experience taking out monsters. Fighting a monster over and over again nets you parts for new gear but more importantly you actually get better at the game and start to understand the monsters better.

At least that's how I feel about MH, and I hope this plays out similarly. It'll depend how good the monsters are really.

I just pulled a 7:04 no-AI solo Manhunter but that was with one death. Ugh. Should've been watching my stamina when guarding. Could've been a much more impressive run,

I basically tried to do it without purifying anything and just attempting to keep him stunlocked by breaking the same two limbs over and over again. It fell apart when I failed multiple crits in a row right before a drill spin.

Edit: Well guys. I'm officially done with the demo. Just did 5:05 solo, no-AI, no deaths. Didn't purify a damn thing, didn't let him do the drill spin a single time, nor regrow any limbs. It was as close to a perfect run as I could ask for. Screenshot incoming.

XkWpSVI.jpg

rlhPfAe.jpg

killatopak

Gold Member
I wasn't going to post this in case people don't want to be spoiled, but this is too good to pass:

5kHL3Ad.jpg

lol
I just pulled a 7:04 no-AI solo Manhunter but that was with one death. Ugh. Should've been watching my stamina when guarding. Could've been a much more impressive run,

I basically tried to do it without purifying anything and just attempting to keep him stunlocked by breaking the same two limbs over and over again. It fell apart when I failed multiple crits in a row right before a drill spin.

Edit: Well guys. I'm officially done with the demo. Just did 5:05 solo, no-AI, no deaths. Didn't purify a damn thing, didn't let him do the drill spin a single time, nor regrow any limbs. It was as close to a perfect run as I could ask for. Screenshot incoming.
Very impressive. The best I could do on a solo run is 8 minutes. I may try your method and stun locking him and I do have a way of stopping his spin attack using the spear's brace.
Okay guys, let's just get this out of the way:

Oka > Nagi > Yu > Shikimi > Kikka > Hatsuho.

This is gonna be good when stfu sees this.

Okay guys, let's just get this out of the way:

Oka > Nagi > Yu > Shikimi > Kikka > Hatsuho.

Right now I'm leaning Hatsuho = Nagi > Yu > Oka > Shikimi = Kikka.

I haven't even met Nagi but I love Akemi Satou so I know her voice will be fantastic, plus her name in combination with her weapon name is very cool to me
in a very nerdy Japanese way
. And I'd easily rank Nagi above Hatsuho but I also adore Ai Nonaka's voice so Hatsuho just ranks highly by default.

Edit: Figured I should explain the Nagi thing. Nagi wields a bow called "Evening Calm". I don't know if the localization translated it directly, but there's a very specific word for "evening calm" in Japanese, and it's "Yorunagi". So pretty much "Yorunagi no Nagi", or "Nagi of the Evening Calm". Being very interested in things like that involving language, I can't NOT love her. Doesn't help that my favorite quote from a manga is (roughly) "The whole world, which had been like a festival, slowed down, and the era became an age of evening calm."

killatopak

Gold Member
Right now I'm leaning Hatsuho = Nagi > Yu > Oka > Shikimi = Kikka.

I haven't even met Nagi but I love Akemi Satou so I know her voice will be fantastic, plus her name in combination with her weapon name is very cool to me
in a very nerdy Japanese way
. And I'd easily rank Nagi above Hatsuho but I also adore Ai Nonaka's voice so Hatsuho just ranks highly by default.

Edit: Figured I should explain the Nagi thing. Nagi wields a bow called "Evening Calm". I don't know if the localization translated it directly, but there's a very specific word for "evening calm" in Japanese, and it's "Yorunagi". So pretty much "Yorunagi no Nagi", or "Nagi of the Evening Calm". Being very interested in things like that involving language, I can't NOT love her. Doesn't help that my favorite quote from a manga is (roughly) "The whole world, which had been like a festival, slowed down, and the era became an age of evening calm."

It has a manga? :O

It has a manga? :O

No no, that manga quote is from Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. I'm just saying that the fact that her character has something tied to the idea of "evening calm" when my favorite manga quote also has the phrase in it makes me love her more.

Very impressive. The best I could do on a solo run is 8 minutes. I may try your method and stun locking him and I do have a way of stopping his spin attack using the spear's brace.

And thanks. I did come up with one final way to improve the time but I don't really feel like attempting to implement it now, so close to the full game. It would basically involve near constant use of Mind's Eye so that there's no guesswork involving which of the 3 limbs (on my 5:05 run I found alternating between 3 limbs on one side worked way better than just 2 in case I fucked up in the way I'm about to describe) to be focusing on. Sometimes when I knocked him down by re-breaking an already broken limb, and I started hitting a different one, I would accidentally break the next limb before he fully got back up again. As you know, this makes him flinch, but it's a minor interrupt compared to letting him fully get back up and then breaking a limb to send him back into knockdown.

Top Bottom