• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toukiden: The Age of Demons |OT| "very f*ckable." -@tecmokoeieurope

Jindrael

Banned
Maining Spear with Def Mitama and it seems really strong, might not be the fastest method but most of the time I only have to use 0-1 heals per large Oni.

Having a lot of fun so far :D

killatopak

Gold Member
Maining Spear with Def Mitama and it seems really strong, might not be the fastest method but most of the time I only have to use 0-1 heals per large Oni.

Having a lot of fun so far :D

Gonna have to try this. I've been running out of heals since chapter 6 started.

I'm using spirit mitama btw.

Amir0x

Banned
So, I'm reading through this topic, sounds like this game is really great. I loves my Vita, I'd wager this is worth buying if I love Monster Hunter? I know the differences are great, but can it still scratch that itch?

So, I'm reading through this topic, sounds like this game is really great. I loves my Vita, I'd wager this is worth buying if I love Monster Hunter? I know the differences are great, but can it still scratch that itch?
Yes. I love MH and I'm enjoying Toukiden way more than Soul Sacrifice.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Since I have a self imposed rule not to progress mp further than sp, I'm gonna collect some levels first.

Once again thanks, sakura and bayonetta, jim and muchi :)

JimPanzer

if you like hunting games and got a vita toukiden is a no-brainer IMO. I've spent 150 hours in monster hunter and wouldn't consider toukiden any worse, just a bit different and slightly more straightforward.
can't comment on the endgame as I'm only 18 hours in (switching between single and multiplayer), but people said it takes 100h+ to platinum it. so yeah, buy it!

edit: and the graphics and art design maaan! some phenomenal armor- and weapon-designs + dat oled!

Yes. I love MH and I'm enjoying Toukiden way more than Soul Sacrifice.

Yup, this is exactly how I feel. It still can't compare to MH imo, but that is to be expected since it's a first entry in the series. As far as MH clones go, this is definitely the most polished and fun one I have played so far.

Shengar

Good, because honestly Soul Sacrifice did not do a good job adequately scratching my MH itch :p

Playing SS for 50 hours, Toukiden and MH3U both 20 hours each, I can conclude that SS is very different take on the whole hunting action game, while Toukiden have similar approach to MH but come up with enough differenting factor to set it apart from MH.I personally love all of them since I went into the genre with SS firs, Toukiden second, and MH3U third, but I can see why SS not satisfying enough to fill MH place for many people.

The most disappointing aspect of SS for me was the lack of armor and weapon crafting. Yes, you had different magics to collect, but they all fell into a small set of types. The arm sigils also weren't that satisfying. I liked the combat though.

Shengar

Chasing a Windshredder around the map is the only thing trying my patience so far.
Even as bow user, I know that feeling. Worse when you fight Shredder family on huge/long linear area.
The most disappointing aspect of SS for me was the lack of armor and weapon crafting. Yes, you had different magics to collect, but they all fell into a small set of types. The arm sigils also weren't that satisfying. I liked the combat though.

Yeah, crafting and customization is always a big part of MH, an area that SS certainly lack at.

Yup, this is exactly how I feel. It still can't compare to MH imo, but that is to be expected since it's a first entry in the series. As far as MH clones go, this is definitely the most polished and fun one I have played so far.
Agreed. I have already a huge list they can improve upon in kyoku but so far it's good.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Good, because honestly Soul Sacrifice did not do a good job adequately scratching my MH itch :p

SS wasn't really a MH clone to even do that for you (unlike lets say Ragnarok Odyssey and God Eater) as you you don't really go in a "hunt" journey. it's arena/boss fights sort of a game with heavy focus on story for its SP.

Abylim

Mine is missing a super attack. I'd cuss and stuff when it happens and it happens frequently too whenever I target the hard to reach parts of bosses.

First time on Chthonian, I missed his goddamned fucking beads with my super! I still got them in the end, but holy shit! He like, spasm'd at the last second and my super hit him in the head.
I was just doing MP and missed on Terragrinder, too. You cant wait too long, because they will move, but if you do it too quickly, sometimes they jerk out of the way.

Awesome game though, I'm starting to get into the super versions of each boss now, it still feels fun. I like grinding though. Must say this is a much better game than SS, I platinumed it, loved the hell out of it, but knew it was flawed. This still has some quirks id love to iron out, but much closer to my ideal experience than SS was.

Shengar

What's the best so far in your experience guys? I've yet to fought all of them, but Terragrinder or Bladewing get my vote as a bow user.

Abylim

What's the best so far in your experience guys? I've yet to fought all of them, but Terragrinder or Bladewing get my vote as a bow user.

So far Bladewings probably been the hardest, while Chthonian was most fun so far.
I'm an Attack Mitama focused Spear user.

antispin

Just downloaded the demo and Vita's charging up... How f*ckable is the game if I don't MP? Is the single player experience hampered without MP?

Shengar

So far Bladewings probably been the hardest, while Chthonian was most fun so far.
I'm an Attack Mitama focused Spear user.
Bladewing ridiculously wide arc attack always get. It is the only boss that get me down without resorting to cheap charge attack.
Just downloaded the demo and Vita's charging up... How f*ckable is the game if I don't MP? Is the single player experience hampered without MP?

It's still pretty solid due to NPC companion. They rarely die and do many things competently.

arimanius

IMO Toukiden is pretty good at scratching the MH itch. I'm finding it not as deep as MH.

MH >>> Toukiden >>>>>>>>>> Soul Sacrifice

I really couldn't get into Soul Sacrifice. Lol

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I just noticed that there's a breakable part at the rear end of Viper Queen after she wriggled out of her shell......

Anyways, I am chapter 4, phase 4-2. So far no enemies grind my teeth in frustration more than terragrinder. So bloody annoying trying to target its part when it buries them so often later on and the AI keep attacking it regardless :/

Shengar

I just noticed that there's a breakable part at the rear end of Viper Queen after she wriggled out of her shell......

Anyways, I am chapter 4, phase 4-2. So far no enemies grind my teeth in frustration more than terragrinder. So bloody annoying trying to target its part when it buries them so often later on and the AI keep attacking it regardless :/

SPT mitama Implosion proved to be crucial if you aim to break all Terragrinder apart. Pretty effective for both drag 'em out and break their parts.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics

I've played through the demo in SP and I've enjoyed it so far. The NPCs do their job well enough against the enemies of the demo. I'll probably jump into MP when I get the full game though, because why not? Might try killing major foes in SP first though. I usually want to beat them myself before anyone shows me how it's done.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Finally got some good looking armor when I hit chapter 5.

http://imgur.com/iIsIjPN
iIsIjPN

Why do the weapons have an attack that they don't show you in the tutorial? Apparently dual knives and chain/sickle have an aerial slam down attack that they never once mention in the tutorial.

Why do the weapons have an attack that they don't show you in the tutorial? Apparently dual knives and chain/sickle have an aerial slam down attack that they never once mention in the tutorial.

This. I've been trying to figure out what that slam move is with the dual knives. I can only do it randomly once in a while.

I think every retail game when bought digitally comes with an online manual. Not sure though.
If have a physical copy with a physical manual but it comes with a digital one as well. It's even more detailed than the physical one...
Edit: too late.

Yeah guild hall misses a lot. I'd place a bet that they fixed this in kyoku.

killatopak

Gold Member
Even the retail version comes with the digital manual. It's actually more extensive than the actual manual it comes with lol.

If have a physical copy with a physical manual but it comes with a digital one as well. It's even more detailed than the physical one...
Edit: too late.

Well it's not exactly surprising given the limited amount of space the case can contain especially on a detailed game such as this.

Top Bottom