• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toukiden: The Age of Demons |OT| "very f*ckable." -@tecmokoeieurope

killatopak

Gold Member
Havent really been playing online, but just got to chap 5 and it's annoying how its basically the same fights for the last few chapters.

Wait until you get to chapter 6+

There's someone who posted here a mission that's absurd.

I thought the solo king mission was bullshit, but this takes the cake.

aM6Sdar.jpg

Four bosses, 60min. And for good measure each party member is locked to a different room at start, so you'll get to solo a Pyrogrinder and duo a Bloodhunter.

I believe its applicable to all weapons, and I also heard that this skill stack.
That's very good and yes they do stack.

Holmes

So what is the most effective weapon to use? I've been using the gauntlets for two and a half chapters and it's fine, but a bit slow and sometimes hard to land hits when the enemy is mobile. The damage is the highest but I don't think that's all that matters?

So what is the most effective weapon to use? I've been using the gauntlets for two and a half chapters and it's fine, but a bit slow and sometimes hard to land hits when the enemy is mobile. The damage is the highest but I don't think that's all that matters?

kusarigama is the best weapon but also the hardest to properly use imo

dual blades and long sword seem to be the most popular, but every weapon is good.

Shengar

The effectiveness of weapon is depend on how you use them and mitamas combination. I've tried all the weapon, and even though I extensively use bow and sometimes spear, all weapons are really great to use, have their own weakness and strength.

Holmes

kusarigama is the best weapon but also the hardest to properly use imo

dual blades and long sword seem to be the most popular, but every weapon is good.
I did all the training from the captain and found the gauntlets easiest to use and they had the highest damage so I've been using them. I think I'll try the kusarigama training again and see if I can get the hang of it.

Kensuke

I need scorched horns. I know you can get them from Blistershells (red turtels). But where can I find these enemies? I've searched for them in the online and offline missions for killing Rockshells, but no red turtles.

Anyone know on what missions I can find them?

ramyeon

Just beat my first Cthonian Fiend after getting to the end of Chapter 4! So much easier than I expected, managed to get all parts broken on my first go without too much hassle, and didn't even use up all my heals, despite my AI partners falling down left right and center lol.

Really keen to farm him for his weapon and armour (As well as money!), anyone down for some online? I'm still mid phase 4 (4-7) so might have to do some key quests to get him unlocked first.

Abylim

Just dove into chapter 6, holy shit!!!!!!!!!!!!

Location spoilers
They added ex stages of everything! new loot, and random boss attacks!
I love this fucking game

they really need to rework the skills system in a sequel. I want class specific skills like MH to further emphasize customization on armor sets. I don't really give a shit to complete an armor set to get a pitiful defense boost or attack boost.

as a kusarigama main, something like fastcharge would be a godsend

I agree. I love Toukiden but this one of the few things that I dislike. It's fun mixing different pieces of armor + charms to form interesting skill combinations. If you have a set with skills you like but happen to hate how one of the pieces look it's still possible to get the benefits of that set. I hope they stick away from Charm Tables that are locked when you create your character, haha.

- -

Just go to Chapter 4 in SP. I need to get the Elastic Band and Harrowhalf Hornbits from the Harrowhalf for the new spear though. The armor's complete. I've only been using Spear so far but I'm going to do the weapon tutorials and see if there is anything else I'd like to try. I love fighting the Terragrinder as a spear user though. It's so much fun jumping into the air when he's in Phase 2 and running toward you and slamming down on him as soon as he's under you. The spear's super attack is a lot of fun when you successfully snipe horns/some smaller part.

It's awesome how the last few bosses/large oni (as just finishing Chapter 3)
transform near the end of the battle

Ogawa-san

Location spoilers
They added ex stages of everything! new loot, and random boss attacks!
I love this fucking game
It's all fun and games until
they send you off to solo those new ex bosses, sometimes a couple per mission/at once

I know for some it's a good challenge but for me that's the worst part of the game.
Soloing a Frostwing particularly feels like playing Dark Souls, you can't afford making mistakes for about 40min and you're always 2~3 hits from dying.

And it seems that's all I have left for SP... So I'm off to clear multi.

Abylim

It's all fun and games until
they send you off to solo those new ex bosses, sometimes a couple per mission/at once

I know for some it's a good challenge but for me that's the worst part of the game.
Soloing a Frostwing particularly feels like playing Dark Souls, you can't afford making mistakes for about 40min and you're always 2~3 hits from dying.

And it seems that's all I have left for SP... So I'm off to clear multi.

I like challenge, but that being said, that sounds brutal lol

I'll give it a shot when I get there, sometimes post game is my favourite part.

Question: when a boss is weak to an element, does that mean it takes double damage or something from that stat? For instance, my spear has 89 earth on it, would it enhance that damage? How much by? I currently have a bitchin' Sky spear (pictured above) with a bit more base attack, and 150 sky. Just curious if its worth exploiting the weakness or just going with Sky?

Shengar

Just beat my first Cthonian Fiend after getting to the end of Chapter 4! So much easier than I expected, managed to get all parts broken on my first go without too much hassle, and didn't even use up all my heals, despite my AI partners falling down left right and center lol.

Really keen to farm him for his weapon and armour (As well as money!), anyone down for some online? I'm still mid phase 4 (4-7) so might have to do some key quests to get him unlocked first.
Either I'm playing really bad or you just too skilful or maybe both, but I died so many times that I don't bothered to count it. The bastard always switch to hit me whenever I'm trying to land cursed arrows.
Is that.................. a spear???????????????
That's how weapon in hunting action game should look like :p

Abylim

There are some ridiculously good-looking weapons in this game, especially spears. The worst part is having really plain weapons that have better stats than the pretty ones. :(

I have loved most of the spears so far. There has been some sexy swords, though.

I keep tossing up bows or Spears, but I'm in too deep to even think about switching. I have made every spear possible so far, even getting tons from upgrading. I suppose I could go forward making spears and bows, but thats going to add to my time.

My main complaint with spears is Hells Wardens break points. Even with jump its hard to break those suckers on his shell. I had a thought though, I have a Mitama with Expert Destroyer, which says it increases the rate at which my weapon gauge fills. Wondering if its viable to use that and just use more Destroyers?

I cant remember the last time I got so lost and caught up in a game.

Originally I bought this as something hold me over for Ys, but I'm having a hard time stopping haha. Maybe I'll be abit over it by the time it hits over here.

Abylim

Oh and I officially found my first complaint with this game.
Lock on targetting. If there are mobs around the boss, even far away, it tends to lock on to them. I made sure I was right on the bosses leg, and it kept trying to lock on to the turtles further behind him.

It doesn't happen consistently, but lock on is definitely an issue.

EDIT: Bah sorry for double post, figured someone would have replied before =\

JimPanzer

Oh and I officially found my first complaint with this game.
Lock on targetting. If there are mobs around the boss, even far away, it tends to lock on to them. I made sure I was right on the bosses leg, and it kept trying to lock on to the turtles further behind him.

It doesn't happen consistently, but lock on is definitely an issue.

you can switch between targets by pressing the right or left direction on the right stick

Abylim

But you cant switch between body parts that way. I'm locking onto body parts, and instead its going to any close minion, not the boss.

Shengar

Fighting Terragrinder without SPT mitama is a pain in the ass. How do you suppose to bail the damn thing out if its hiding hole?

Ogawa-san

There are reskins, the best set I can craft right now is a golden-ish Stygian. If I could get the rest of those impossibly rare mats, that is...

About the Terragrinder, if you hit it while it's jumping it'll be knocked down. I do it with a bow's charged shot but anything should work.

Shengar

I need scorched horns. I know you can get them from Blistershells (red turtels). But where can I find these enemies? I've searched for them in the online and offline missions for killing Rockshells, but no red turtles.

Anyone know on what missions I can find them?
Age of Honor is your best bet. And like any other rare grunt, kill the regular one, exit and reenter the area. There should at least one rare grunt there.
There are reskins, the best set I can craft right now is a golden-ish Stygian. If I could get the rest of those impossibly rare mats, that is...

About the Terragrinder, if you hit it while it's jumping it'll be knocked down. I do it with a bow's charged shot but anything should work.

It's movement is rather hard to predict when it's "swimming" around. I only managed to bailed it out once with bow, and that was lucky hit.

Abylim

I'm sure I'll find it annoying when trying to get 100% collection, but I do love that bosses and monsters drop different mats at higher difficulty missions. Just did Manhunter in chapter 6 and got a bunch of parts I never had before!

I'm lovin my Sky spear, only one or two bosses are immune to Sky, so it seems like a great general purpose element, too!

No one answered my question re: elemental weakness and what it actually means, so I'm rolling with double element damage for exploiting weakness.

Immunity would obviously just disregard the element damage altogether.

-Digits-

How does status ailment work? Some Mitama have an increased chance to apply one but I'm not quite sure how to apply them in the first place.

Are bows a multiplayer focused weapon in this game? Or are they just as good as any other weapon for a person who's only going to really be playing single player?

Also, is there any negative to just outright buying a weapon or piece of equipment rather than crafting the same item?

killatopak

Gold Member
How does status ailment work? Some Mitama have an increased chance to apply one but I'm not quite sure how to apply them in the first place.

Paralysis seems to work frequently for me. About 3-5 times a boss. I just keep attacking them with a weapon with status ailment element. I've only seen paralysis and poison though.

I'm sure there's a defense down there somewhere.
Are bows a multiplayer focused weapon in this game? Or are they just as good as any other weapon for a person who's only going to really be playing single player?

Also, is there any negative to just outright buying a weapon or piece of equipment rather than crafting the same item?

Nope. Yes.

None.

Shengar

If you mean single player is bringing AI companions, not solo, yes bow is very viable due to that. There is no negative outcome from buying an equipment outright usually beside being more expensive.

Abylim

I'm honestly not too sure yet, havent really dabbled into the poison or paralysis weapons, sorry!

Bows are probably the best weapon for breaking parts on large Oni. They deal less raw damage then most weapons though, but there is no reason to go solo (unless you are in the post game, good luck.)

Thanks guys! Yes, I didn't mean true solo, as I bring the AI party members around with me.

Damn, the problem with this game is that there are TOO many weapons I want to use. My original decision was the spear and I'm pretty happy using it at the moment, but Bows look awesome as well as the chain and sickle and I'm always tempted by using Katanas/longswords in games. It is really tough to just decide on one (or two)...

Also, pertainiing to the spear, are there any attacks I'm missing? I know there's:

Square poke string
Triangle wide string
Circle jump attack (can be charged)
Charge Square stab

anything else? And I'm assuming you don't "learn" any new weapon attacks and have the full moveset from the start right (the difference being gaining new attacks from mitamas)?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Thanks guys! Yes, I didn't mean true solo, as I bring the AI party members around with me.

Damn, the problem with this game is that there are TOO many weapons I want to use. My original decision was the spear and I'm pretty happy using it at the moment, but Bows look awesome as well as the chain and sickle and I'm always tempted by using Katanas/longswords in games. It is really tough to just decide on one (or two)...

Also, pertainiing to the spear, are there any attacks I'm missing? I know there's:

Square poke string
Triangle wide string
Charge Square stab

anything else? And I'm assuming you don't "learn" any new weapon attacks and have the full moveset from the start right (the difference being gaining new attacks from mitamas)?

Brace (Circle X) and Super Attack (Triangle Square). Charged Square can be immediately followed with rapid thrusts with Squares.

Nope, you don't learn any new moves.

Kensuke

Age of Honor is your best bet. And like any other rare grunt, kill the regular one, exit and reenter the area. There should at least one rare grunt there.

Finally found a red turtle. I didn't know about the kill, exit and re-enter trick. Now my Warder set is finally complete! It's pretty sexy.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I'm down for some slaying. :D

I'm only at phase 5 though. D:

And I am still at Phase 4-4 since I make a rule that MP cannot pass SP and I have just reached the beginning of chapter 5 :p

My Internet can be a bit iffy though. Can you make the room?

Anyone else available should join! It's still just a Bladewing though, nothing too fancy,hahaha.

Abylim

Square poke string
Triangle wide string
Charge Square stab

Most important thing is to lock onto body parts. You can lock on when you are aiming with Square charge.
Spear is pretty amazing, has its limitations, but powerful, precise and versatile.

Oh and they look badass :p

Top Bottom