• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toukiden: The Age of Demons |OT| "very f*ckable." -@tecmokoeieurope

Shengar

Anyone know how the elemental damage/weapons work in this game? Should I avoid trying to create elemental weapons unless I want to specifically make something to go against a big monster that is weak against it, or is a stronger weapon that is elemental always better off than a non elemental weapon?

I think elemental damage deals separate damage from normal one. When you hit bosses with the right element, the damage will bosted and so does the reverse where your elemental damage will be nullified against immune boss but not the damage. The thing is that elemental weapon usually have lower precision and what upgrade does to them usually increase their elemental damage, though some elemental weapons like Skyshredder spear seems to focus on precision over its own elemental damage. All in all, which is stronger really depends on your weapon, mitama combination, and playstyle.

Thanks, that explanation helps.

Also, while I'm asking, what exactly is the precision stat for?

Edit: side note, you are very helpful Shengar! I think you've answered pretty much every question I asked here

Shengar

I wonder how exactly precision translates to crit... I have a +9 weapon with 100, but of course that's not 100%.

I'm not sure about that either. At first I guess precised attack fill your weapon gauge faster but if that is the case, then my weapon gauge will be filled in no time when I'm using hold square attack with carnage on.

Raxious

So what would you guys advice me to do. I'm in chapter 2 with the starter weapon, should I keep it that way or should I get a new weapon?? I got a spear btw.

Shiina

Noob Question: Where do you get an Copper Ore from?

Loving the game by the way...best MH Clone ive played

Those shinies you can pick up on the floor in the first area. Your tenko can also bring them back if you send it to the first area (Age of Grace I think it's called, the greenish one).

krossj

Just finished the single player, chapter 5 anyway. Cimmerian King definitely some Alatreon about it with some of those moves.

I've enjoyed it so far but it does get spammy in the same way soul sacrifice is. I suppose with all games like this I'm going to compare to Monster Hunter in some respects and it does not have much of that tactical gameplay I really enjoy in MH.

Breaking all the monster parts is super satisfying and the bosses, character models and weapons/ armour look great. Looking forward to playing some more especially online and trying to get some better equipment.

Shiina

60h into it I really wish they had put more bosses into this game. I'm starting to lose my motivation having to do the same missions in story and multiplayer and having to kill the same 12 bosses. The 12 subtypes are largely the same thing as they don't gain any new abilities and they just look slightly different and have a different element.

ramyeon

60h into it I really wish they had put more bosses into this game. I'm starting to lose my motivation having to do the same missions in story and multiplayer and having to kill the same 12 bosses. The 12 subtypes are largely the same thing as they don't gain any new abilities and they just look slightly different and have a different element.
Most of the subspecies I've fought so far definitely have one or two new abilities, they felt reasonably different to me. I mean, that's just how subspecies are really.

I agree that 24 is not a lot. But I think it's understandable and a fair number for a first iteration hunting game.

I'd also argue that getting 60h out of a game is definitely getting your money's worth. Although I will no doubt get easily 100h+ out of this.

Shiina

Most of the subspecies I've fought so far definitely have one or two new abilities, they felt reasonably different to me. I mean, that's just how subspecies are really.

I agree that 24 is not a lot. But I think it's understandable and a fair number for a first iteration hunting game.

I'd also argue that getting 60h out of a game is definitely getting your money's worth. Although I will no doubt get easily 100h+ out of this.

Oh I don't my purchase or anything or I wouldn't have played this for so much. The gameplay itself is fantastic, albeit a little bit too easy and not tactical enough. The difference between subspecies was as far as I experienced only a difference in the element of spells they cast, not in actual abilities they gain. Dreadhalf throws some rocks at you from underneath the earth instead of ice shards flying at you but the idea of the ability is still the same. He doesn't gain any new attacks and his second phase isn't any more difficult over his Harrowhalf form.

I hope they improve on that in the sequel. And especially on the netcode and the general way the multiplayer works. Being held back by the person with the least progress in your group is not fun for anyone.

3be.jpg

ramyeon

Pyrogrinder for example has some AoE abilities that the original Terragrinder didn't have. They definitely have some additional abilities even if it doesn't change the way you play all that much.

I do miss the monsters of MH, they just seem so much more real. I miss the visible tells of damage versus the health bar and how monsters would run away limping. Cutting limbs was a lot more satisfying in MH as well. Maybe also because it wasn't a necessity but more of a bonus.

I do prefer the online progression in this though. In MH you would have to do key quests multiple times for every member of the party, because only the quest taker gained any progress from it. This is good for farming but oftentimes you'd go into a random room, help someone progress only for them to leave (Thus forcing the whole room to close - since it didn't transfer room leader status) and make you find someone else to help you.

Superflat

I do prefer the online progression in this though. In MH you would have to do key quests multiple times for every member of the party, because only the quest taker gained any progress from it. This is good for farming but oftentimes you'd go into a random room, help someone progress only for them to leave (Thus forcing the whole room to close - since it didn't transfer room leader status) and make you find someone else to help you.

Dang, that sounds rough, especially if you're playing with random people. The only thing I wanted from the Toukiden online was for my single player progress to automatically unlock multiplayer chapters concurrently. But now that I'm done with the central campaign, it's less of an issue. For chapter 6-10 I wouldnt be surprised if I only played on multiplayer.

Shiina

I really liked the way Soul Sacrifice did it. The story was good and well made and the multiplayer was different enough so that doing both didn't feel boring. The netcode was superb and everybody could join everybody and do any mission they wanted.
I think the difference showed because I played far more multiplayer in SS compared to Toukiden which I mostly played solo.

krossj

I found the single player in Soul Sacrifice a lot more compelling than this also. I think just the way the narrative was told through the book pages is a lot more interesting than the cutscenes used in Toukiden.

Yeah, the online in SS allowing you to join whatever quest was being tackled and just having it marked as done once completed even if you were not at that point was great. I remember having very little issues online in SS as well but a couple of times with this it has just straight up froze or I wasn't able to select a quest.

ramyeon

Dang, that sounds rough, especially if you're playing with random people. The only thing I wanted from the Toukiden online was for my single player progress to automatically unlock multiplayer chapters concurrently. But now that I'm done with the central campaign, it's less of an issue. For chapter 6-10 I wouldnt be surprised if I only played on multiplayer.
Yeah it was terrible.

I don't mind the single and multi player games being separated, although I do wish there was more difference in the quests like MH which makes the multiplayer quests much more difficult and balanced to that. And of course G Rank, which I suppose we can expect a similar mode from the updated version of Toukiden that will undoubtedly come out.

As for SS... the story was great and the lore too. But the gameplay does very little for me. It's missing so many of the elements that I actually play hunting games for that I feel like it's difficult for me to even consider it as part of the genre. Didn't really enjoy it as much as I had hoped to.

Abylim

Yeah it was terrible.

I don't mind the single and multi player games being separated, although I do wish there was more difference in the quests like MH which makes the multiplayer quests much more difficult and balanced to that. And of course G Rank, which I suppose we can expect a similar mode from the updated version of Toukiden that will undoubtedly come out.

As for SS... the story was great and the lore too. But the gameplay does very little for me. It's missing so many of the elements that I actually play hunting games for that I feel like it's difficult for me to even consider it as part of the genre. Didn't really enjoy it as much as I had hoped to.

As much as I loved SS, I didnt like how it was based entirely around offerings. No weapon or armor upgrades, just abilities, and a weird levelling system.

I just felt it wasnt very balanced, and there wasnt a lot of choice.

Where as with Toukiden I feel there is a lot of choice, and I like the weapon and armor system. Bosses are fun, its not just one drop per boss, you get many things.

Shengar

I do miss the monsters of MH, they just seem so much more real. I miss the visible tells of damage versus the health bar and how monsters would run away limping. Cutting limbs was a lot more satisfying in MH as well. Maybe also because it wasn't a necessity but more of a bonus.

The health isn't quite big deal for me but I can understand that. It gives us good estimate how long the boss can hold up before we can break all their parts. Toukiden pretty much built up around breaking monster part, from limbs damage indicator to purifying.

The health isn't quite big deal for me but I can understand that. It gives us good estimate how long the boss can hold up before we can break all their parts. Toukiden pretty much built up around breaking monster part, from limbs damage indicator to purifying.

Agreed. Since Toukiden is built around part breaking, if we had no 100% accurate measure of boss health, I would fucking hate the game since everything would definitely die before you broke everything,

Shengar

Agreed. Since Toukiden is built around part breaking, if we had no 100% accurate measure of boss health, I would fucking hate the game since everything would definitely die before you broke everything,

Even though the core hunting gameplay revolved around breaking part, not all the bosses designed to fit with it. Half-family for instance, have all part quite easy to reach with no regrow or extra limb after its transformed, making me never worried too much dealing heavy damage to it. But some bosses on the other hand requires you to break their limb without dealing too much damage to their life force. Breaking Shredder limb badly, and you ended up getting it use it second horns when it only have sliver of health. Spam attack at Grinder fanfin, and it will dead before you have the chance to damage it fins and hind legs. Once I have all limbs but the tail of a Venom Queen break apart, miss my ultimate attack then it regrow shell it shells to cover it until to its dead. I hope there are more bosses like these which makes you not to attack too much on bosses life force while breaking their limbs.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Alright, I am gonna make DMZ for my Vita later tonight. Hopefully, as several people has indicated, it can make a difference.

Also, to the topic of SP/MP separation, yes it sucks so bad. Especially when you have to fight numerous boss-class characters successively, with each fight can take 20 to 30 minutes or so... it can be mind-numbingly repetitive.

It even weaken my resolve somewhat on not surpassing MP before SP... >__>

Also, although limb-breaking is a central core to Toukiden's gameplay, it is a shame that basically severed limbs does fuck all to Boss' movement/pattern; I mean, they continue to act as if the limbs are still there even though they are cut and purified. I guess it's gonna take too many work creating different animations for when different limbs combinations are cut and such and such......

Shengar

Also, although limb-breaking is a central core to Toukiden's gameplay, it is a shame that basically severed limbs does fuck all to Boss' movement/pattern; I mean, they continue to act as if the limbs are still there even though they are cut and purified. I guess it's gonna take too many work creating different animations for when different limbs combinations are cut and such and such......

Well, Grinde, Jollux, Shredder will stumble if they use their sliding, jumping, and charging attack respectively when some of their limb purified if that what you mean.

I main kusarigama. I basically craft all the weapons available for kusarigama (and upgrade them). Is this the right way?

Why do so many elemental weapons have 0 precision?

Shengar

Well more like, the leg is gone but the dudes are still acting like the leg is still there.
Well, too many animation to make the fight more boring if they act like their limbs are being cut off :p
I main kusarigama. I basically craft all the weapons available for kusarigama (and upgrade them). Is this the right way?

Because they already deal elemental damage? Some elemental weapon focus on precision upon upgrade like Skyflash Spear though.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

At first I main Chain and Sickle but then I moved on to Bow. Chain and Sickle's attack arc is so wide I am having difficulty when I want to aim at specific part :(

I love how dynamic-looking it is though, in terms of movement. Probably gonna make it my second weapon set to pursue later on--although for some reason it seems like materials for them and bows are the hardest to come by.

Zafir

Zavvi finally delivered the game today, so been playing it quite a bit. Done a lot of online missions too with a friend. Is it me, or is the netcode a bit dodgy online? Like I'll see my friend, and sometimes the AI hitting a mob which doesn't even exist on my screen. It seems to be fine on bosses though.

ramyeon

Zavvi finally delivered the game today, so been playing it quite a bit. Done a lot of online missions too with a friend. Is it me, or is the netcode a bit dodgy online? Like I'll see my friend, and sometimes the AI hitting a mob which doesn't even exist on my screen. It seems to be fine on bosses though.
That's because most hunting games like this spawn small mobs differently for each player. Monster Hunter does that too.

Zafir

That's because most hunting games like this spawn small mobs differently for each player. Monster Hunter does that too.
I never really played Monster Hunter online before, so never noticed. I figured that was what it seemed like, but it's rather odd that they would do it that way.

At first I main Chain and Sickle but then I moved on to Bow. Chain and Sickle's attack arc is so wide I am having difficulty when I want to aim at specific part :(

I love how dynamic-looking it is though, in terms of movement. Probably gonna make it my second weapon set to pursue later on--although for some reason it seems like materials for them and bows are the hardest to come by.

Use the triangle attacks for precision. Hook on with Square, and fly towards the part you wanna hit, then finish the triangle combo. Rinse and repeat with another hook if your focus is on. The kusarigama is fucking amazing!

Yeah, it was a lot of fun.

Nightblade is no joke at all.

That bro does so much fucking damage. At least his 2nd form is a joke. First form though, finding safe moments to attack is pretty tough, and if you screw up once, it's over 1/3rd of your health even with 600-650 armor.

ramyeon

I have empty time tomorrow. We should play again with ramyeon :p
I'm down, as long as time zones match up. I need to do Nightblade a few more times to get mats for his weapon and armour, desire sensor is screwing me over lol.

Speaking of spirit Mitama, I recently made the switch to those from attack and won't be going back. So useful. Although Pursuit is an odd skill... It says in the description that it's homing but even if you're a little off on the angle it flies off into nothingness lol.

Speaking of spirit Mitama, I recently made the switch to those from attack and won't be going back. So useful. Although Pursuit is an odd skill... It says in the description that it's homing but even if you're a little off on the angle it flies off into nothingness lol.
Yep, I always want to change to a different one just to mix things up but I'm just way more comfortable with Spirit.

And pursuit seems more risk-reward than any of the other abilities Spirit has. I usually run up and hit the enemy, then run a fair bit away and shoot it off when it's fully charged. If I'm staring in the general direction of the oni, it *usually* hits. It certainly is a very odd homing. :p

Top Bottom