• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgaf: 'cause boys will be girls (and vice versa)

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
He's Cheezmo.

He's 60% of what goes on off GAF. :p

PXPBB.gif

Platy

That awkward moment when your girlfriend's friend feels she needs to explain what a transgender is to you because she just announced she is going to check out some transgender lolita bar in Tokyo while she is on holiday.

Yeah, honey, it's ok. I know.

"yes .. i know because ..... i have a friend .... who you don't know .. who is trans. this. haven't I told you about her ? I mean ... him ... or her ..."

Isn't this those crosdressing maid cafes ?

edit :
Working on my crazy anime backlog. >_> I'll get on IRC after I take a shower. :3

...what kind anime backlog is this ? =O

"yes .. i know because ..... i have a friend .... who you don't know .. who is trans. this. haven't I told you about her ? I mean ... him ... or her ..."

Isn't this those crosdressing maid cafes ?

I actually didn't know these things existed outside of my imagination.

Nothing can top that lesbian couple, trans-child thread from last year. There was like 20+ bans and tons of ignorance (and people who dont actually read the article).

Hey, folks. I am wondering if you can enlighten me. I'll repost my question from the Against Me thread:

(context: Tom Gabel of Against Me!, soon to be Laura Jane Grace, is married to a woman, and just came out as trans)

Anyone know how the law will view her marriage after this? In reality, Heather's still her wife (and it's great that she's sticking around, that is really heartwarming) and nothing will change that as long as they love each other, no matter the gender. But depending on the state, female-female marriages aren't recognized. I guess the real question is: how does the law view transgendered people? Will Tom Gabel become a woman in the eyes of the law, or will the law still see her as a man who is now legally named Laura Jane Grace?

Obviously they're still the same people, and the marriage will still mean the same thing to them, but I am curious about the specifics of the law. Anyone have any knowledge on this?

In Australia, if you are already married and want legal recognition of a gender change of your birth certificate, you have to get divorced first. The government won't allow a legal gender change for a married person, because it's THAT important that marriage is only ever between a man and a woman.

In Australia, if you are already married and want legal recognition of a gender change of your birth certificate, you have to get divorced first. The government won't allow a legal gender change for a married person, because it's THAT important that marriage is only ever between a man and a woman.
Damn. I wouldn't be surprised if Texas ends up the same way. :\

I...wow...

Dead Man

Yeah, the situation is fucked up here. Don't even get me started on the adoption rules.

Jintor

Maybe I now have a life goal as a lawyer... well, more like a politician.

Dead Man

Please start, this might be very relevant to me in the next 2 years.

The laws vary state to state, I am only familiar with South Australia. In SA, only a married male and female couple may adopt. No single people, and the rules are worded such that even if same sex marriage was legalised federally, they still couldn't adopt here. Shit drives me nuts.

Jintor

Spiders are our lifeblood, Billie

Deadman, I'm leafing through NSW's adoption legislation and it seems to allow for same sex couple adoption (primarily due to the inclusion of 'de facto couples' and some wording that makes it clear that the law doesn't give two shits what gender or combination the parents are)

Dead Man

Spiders are our lifeblood, Billie

Deadman, I'm leafing through NSW's adoption legislation and it seems to allow for same sex couple adoption (primarily due to the inclusion of 'de facto couples' and some wording that makes it clear that the law doesn't give two shits what gender or combination the parents are)

Yeah, a quick google indicated NSW and Vic at least have some modicum of sensibility in their laws. Haven't found out for the rest yet. I could always move to NSW for a couple years... ;)

Thanks for the input. I should have figured it would be a state-by-state kind of thing. The Australia bs is how I feared it would be. And honestly, it's probably the same, or at best not explicitly stated at all, in many places here in the US. Lord knows we're backwards as hell when it comes to same sex marriage.

Wouldn't that be a nice present for my parents lol

No, my girlfriend and I have been talking about her having a baby down the line. If we were together long-term, we'd want some sort of legal recognition of me as a parent in case something happened to her.

Top Bottom