• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trine 2 |OT| - The Wizard, Knight, and Rogue Adventure Once More

Kyaw

Want want want.

The first game was wonderful.
And this one has freeplay COOP?! SIGN ME UP.

My backlog... :(

GWX

The first two (proper) stages already have more variety (and much more interesting puzzles) than the whole first game. I'm in love.

Mrbob

I've only dipped into single player, and finished the first couple stages. First thing I noticed is the art. Gorgeous. Absolutely stunning looking game. Second it runs great too on my GTX 470. The puzzles and platforming style, while similar to the first game, feel a lot more fleshed out now. Still very early in the game, but really happy with the sequel so far. If you liked the original (who didn't?) you need to pick this one up too.

Volcynika

Had an absolute blast in co-op with a friend and ROBOTKITTYZILLA. I wonder how it would've went if I made the game not let us be all the characters interchangeably. :p

We tried to make one watering puzzle harder than it actually was, we all had boxes to direct water. Hilarious.

Fun game!

Not sure if it has voice chat, but it'd be cool if it did.

EDIT: Also we just had fun helping the others get items by levitating them all up. Who needs puzzles when you can ride blocks all around the area!

leng jai

Anyone else stuck at 50fps with v-sync on?

Game is pretty fantastic. Seeing the art at max settings is definitely 'wow' and the IQ is exceptionally crisp on PC. This might have the best art of 2011 which is saying something when we've had the likes of Skyrim, Alice and Bastion.

Audio has a nice hefty feel to it and honestly more articulate than the majority of big budget AAA games. Soundtrack is coming along nicely after a few levels.

trine2extreme.jpg

This is what the pre-menu looks like. It's playable.

Tilian

Banned
A long shot, but: anybody playing this with a Dualshock and Xpadder? I'm having a helluva time trying to figure out the best setup.

-SD-

Banned
In Windows 7 it's: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Trine2\

AppData folder is hidden, so...

1. Press Windows key + E to open up explorer
2. Press Alt for the toolbar to appear
3. Click on Tools > Folder Options
4. Go to View tab
5. Hidden files and folders > tick the "Show hidden..."
6. Click Apply and OK

Volcynika

There are options for voice chat ingame... but even if it didnt support it at all, you can just use the steam chat rooms.

Yeah I know, just would be good to have push-to-talk available, some people don't like the always-on of Steam voice chat (I don't care, myself).

I'm excited, but like $7.50 on a steam holiday sale excited.

Will be glad to hear your impressions in the 2012 Steam Holiday Sale!

Log4Girlz

Bought the first one ages ago and didn't play. I just started, and its already pretty f'ing cool...think I'm gonna buy the sequel!

Peterthumpa

Holy 3D balls.

This game in 3D makes you fell inside a fantasy world. Crank up the volume, set the convergence to the best setting possible, turn off the lights and boom... feels like you're inside a Harry Potter movie.

Amazing stuff.

SparkTR

Wow, this looks gorgeous..

I can just skip Trine 1 and go right into this can't I?

Does it control ok with KB/M?

You can skip the first if you want, you won't miss anything story-wise and the game doesn't assume you know the gameplay basics. Though Trine 1 is still worth playing, provided you can handle the combat repetition.

It controls best with the KB/M from my experience.

Trine 2 is quite possibly the best looking 2D game ever made. My god, this game in motion is just, WOW. I'm tempted to look into a 3D monitor just for this game alone.

Had an absolute blast in co-op with a friend and ROBOTKITTYZILLA. I wonder how it would've went if I made the game not let us be all the characters interchangeably. :p

We tried to make one watering puzzle harder than it actually was, we all had boxes to direct water. Hilarious.

Fun game!

Not sure if it has voice chat, but it'd be cool if it did.

EDIT: Also we just had fun helping the others get items by levitating them all up. Who needs puzzles when you can ride blocks all around the area!

So much fun. BEES EVERYWHERE!

We should definitely try it with the classes locked down for a real challenge. I can't remember from the first game but does the Mage have an attack? Can you levitate monsters into traps and kill them with the skill in the skill tree? That reminds me. Unless I'm missing something, it seems like only the host can assign skills in the skill trees during multiplayer sessions. Kind of disappointing.

I seem to recall seeing voice chat options in the menu.

Volcynika

Trine 2 is quite possibly the best looking 2D game ever made. My god, this game in motion is just, WOW. I'm tempted to look into a 3D monitor just for this game alone.

So much fun. BEES EVERYWHERE!

We should definitely try it with the classes locked down for a real challenge. I can't remember from the first game but does the Mage have an attack? Can you levitate monsters into traps and kill them with the skill in the skill tree? That reminds me. Unless I'm missing something, it seems like only the host can assign skills in the skill trees during multiplayer sessions. Kind of disappointing.

I seem to recall seeing voice chat options in the menu.

I completely forgot about upping skills, sorry :p But yeah, I'm down to try the class lockdown method, seems like it would encourage teamwork more than just Wizard block riding, lol. Don't think the wizard has an attack though.

BURN THE BEES!

Labadal

Played the introduction levels plus the first level that lets you control all three characters. It's really enjoyable so far. It feels good knowing you don't have to wait for mana this time around. You can mess around as much as you want. Controls for KB&M are very good and responsive, so that is a bonus, since I was expecting it to be difficult to control. Graphics are stunning. I have to say that this is the best looking 2D game I have seen. Not only does it look great from a technical standpoint, but the design is really gorgeus. I'm running the game with everything maxed and it plays great despite the warning. The game has less combat so far, wich is good. I already think this will have better puzzles than the first game, with the water being an example for early levels. Music is nice, not magnificent, but it does fit the world of the game.

I highly recommend this game despite not having come very far yet.

I might start playing again in 30 minutes, and I'd really love to try out the multiplayer. Anyone interested?

-SD-

Banned
All in all, I prefer to use SMAA.

- SMAA and SSAA+FXAA have the best edge smoothing.
- SMAA has slightly blurrier textures compared to using SSAA only.
- SSAA+FXAA makes textures too blurry.
- SMAA taxes the GPU a lot less than SSAA.

Get SMAA Inject here: http://mrhaandi.blogspot.com/p/injectsmaa.html

trine2_01_2xssaa_fxaaxfjvw.png

trine2_01_4xssaauvkvb.png

trine2_01_smaa3bk2j.png

Another part of the same screenshot.

trine2_02_2xssaa2x_fx3eju1.png

trine2_02_4xssaa81jts.png

trine2_02_smaa57kvf.png

Animated PNGs, since GIFs don't cut it in comparisons like this.

trine2_aa_01ebk8i.png

trine2_aa_02tikfp.png

BeeDog

Wow at the art direction, goddamn. I hope the PS3 version turns out alright... I have Trine 1 on it, so I'd rather have Trine 2 there too.

Volcynika

1.1 million sales is a bomb for a lower budget game?

If it's not 10 million, it's a mega super major bomba. Sorry.

:p

And it's going to be $15, which is a fine price for a game with a good amount of content and some great multiplayer. If anything, it's the release timeframe that'll probably be its biggest hurdle.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Anyone want to trade me this game for.........Saints Row 2 PS3 without the case? A 4GB MS PRO DUO? I am borked/unemployed but GATDAM, this is stunning.

Top Bottom