• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Truck plows into market in Berlin killing 12, injuring 48. Suspect shot dead in Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would that make them a target? Especially since many refugees are actually sunni?

To first order that's probably true, though I think they'd primarily target countries with which they have an issue with - otherwise they completely lose any semblance of message their attacks may have.

I don't know what you think their message is but they don't want people being welcoming and kind to muslims, they want conflict.

SilentRob

Its Large Delivery Truck with no roads near by, this isn't an accident.

How do you think the material for the christmas market was devlivered there? By Foot? You can literally see the street right next to the market. It's Berlin. There is always a road nearby.

Please calm down and stop spreading half-truths, paranoia and fear-mongering. There are several people dying in vehicle accidents every week in Berlin. Wait for the news.

chadskin

Considering there are no reports of gunfire or anything of the sort, like what happened in Nice, I'm leaning more towards horrible accident than terror attack.

Boem

Its Large Delivery Truck with no roads near by, this isn't an accident.

You can clearly see the road on that periscope stream.

For now it's an accident. Let's not spread needless panic before more is known, there are many German people on Gaf.

Betty

Banned
Considering there are no reports of gunfire or anything of the sort, like what happened in Nice, I'm leaning more towards horrible accident than terror attack.

France was on high alert at the time and the Truck in that case was acting weird long before it started to go fast.

In this case the police just may not have had enough time to react.

But it's too early to label this as whatever yet.

Kurtofan

Why do you think a gun is needed for a car attack? It wasn't the first one and the majority don't involve firearms (since the whole point is that anyone can use a car as a weapon compared to firearms).

GlamFM

Banned
According to information from the "WELT", there have been indications for a possible attack on a Christmas market in Berlin for several days.

kadotsu

Banned
According to information from the "WELT", there have been indications for a possible attack on a Christmas market in Berlin for several days.

Has there once been a time since 2001 when there weren't indications for an attack on public places in a capital.

Dinda

How do you think the material for the christmas market was devlivered there? By Foot? You can literally see the street right next to the market. It's Berlin. There is always a road nearby.

Please calm down and stop spreading half-truths, paranoia and fear-mongering. There are several people dying in vehicle accidents every week in Berlin. Wait for the news.

Spiegel saying the police is believing it was an attack.

Mimosa97

THis is a well known modus operandi of ISIS terrorists. Also what are the chances that an accident would happen by coincidence in a christmas market which are targets of choice for terrorists ?

Huge probability that this was a terrorist attack. Hope the death tally won't go higher than one. Stay safe GermanyGaf.

Impossible to stop attacks like these, assuming the police calling it an attack are correct. They're just going to become more frequent. No solution I can think of.

Fritz

THis is a well known modus operandi of ISIS terrorists. Also what are the chances that an accident would happen by coincidence in a christmas market which are targets of choice for terrorists ?

Huge probability that this was a terrorist attack. Hope the death tally won't go higher than one. Stay safe GermanyGaf.

BS, I bet an accident is like 1000 times more likely.

GlamFM

Banned
Police wouldn't call this an attack for no good reason. I would put that accident theory to rest tbh.

akileese

Police wouldn't call this an attack for no good reason. I would put that accident theory to rest tbh.

But they're not calling it an attack. They're ASSUMING it's an attack. Big difference there. An assumption and a confirmation are not the same thing.

Tugatrix

Have they really call it an attack? unfortunately media are no saints and they love this stuff, later they can always deny the source. Where is the polizie official stating that it's an attack?

Jezbollah

Police are not officially saying there was an attack or not. It's just a bunch of misinformation, usual for an incident like this. The golden rule applies: Wait for official confirmation from a spokesman.

GlamFM

Banned
But they're not calling it an attack. They're ASSUMING it's an attack. Big difference there. An assumption and a confirmation are not the same thing.

German Police wouldn't even publicly ASSUME it´s an attack for no good reason.

If he were to attack why stop at the edge of the market. Also seem like the truck was coming out of a turn, that he might have missed.

Think it came from the right side of that map based on the position it's in in that periscope video. Possibly he tried to change lanes and skidded out? Icy roads there?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Police are not officially saying there was an attack or not. It's just a bunch of misinformation, usual for an incident like this. The golden rule applies: Wait for official confirmation from a spokesman.
"Auf einen Weihnachtsmarkt in Berlin ist am Abend nach Polizeiangaben vermutlich ein Anschlag mit einem Lastwagen verübt worden. Das sagte ein Sprecher der Deutschen Presse-Agentur in Berlin."

I mean, you won't get anything more direct than this at this point in time.

Kurtofan

They have other reasons. Tornado jets do reconnaissance over Syria, Germany supports Kurds with military equipment and the country took in a lot of refugees.

lol if you think they care about shit like this. Terror attacks aim to recruit more people for the cause. Big publicity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom