• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Declares Opioid Crisis a National Emergency

bigkrev

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...4&wpisrc=al_alert-COMBO-hse%2Bnational&wpmk=1

President Trump on Thursday declared the country’s opioid crisis a national emergency, saying the scourge exceeded anything he had seen with other drugs in his lifetime.

“It’s a national emergency. We’re going to spend a lot of time, a lot of effort and a lot of money on the opioid crisis,” Trump said, speaking to reporters outside a national security briefing at his golf club in Bedminster, N.J., where he is on a working vacation. “It is a serious problem, the likes of which we’ve never had. You know, when I was growing up, they had the LSD, and they had certain generations of drugs. There’s never been anything like what’s happened to this country over the last four or five years.”

The designation will allow the administration to remove some barriers and waive some federal rules enabling states and localities to have more flexibility to respond. One such rule restricts where Medicaid recipients can receive addiction treatment. It could also put pressure on Congress to provide more funding.

In March, Trump established the President’s Commission on Combating Drug Addiction and the Opioid Crisis, which is led by New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R).

Sorry I agree with this. We need to do something different here. I'm not sure if the plan they have will work but some action should be taken.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
First order of business: Cut down on that gateway drug marywanna.

Could he give it a rest on the variations of this phrase already?

Colbert hit him on that last night or the night before lol

Crazy how sensible this policy on drugs at least appears when it largely affects white suburbia and rural areas. Contrast that with the War on Drugs.

I don't care that he thinks it's bad. That is correct, but I want to know how he wants to tackle the issue cause he could end up repeating our last addiction combatting disasters.

Aurongel

Yeah, can't really knock this considering just how ravaged many areas of the country (and my hometown) are from this. I just wish they'd view other forms of drug addictions as a health crisis but I know that this is a special case because it affects white voters more than anyone else.

Hale-XF11

Good stuff.

I wonder if they'll find a way to goof it up somehow...

In March, Trump established the President’s Commission on Combating Drug Addiction and the Opioid Crisis, which is led by New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R).

Oh. That's a shame.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Crazy how sensible this policy on drugs at least appears when it largely affects white suburbia and rural areas. Contrast that with the War on Drugs.

Sessions hasn't changed his position, so not sure how this news is going to jive with that.

Apharmd

White people getting caught up by drugs because life as a low wage worker is fucking terrible

Raise the red alert y'all

Never thee mind minorities have had to deal with this shit for decades.

Fuckboy.

Yeah? Opioid crisis has been a problem in suburbia for a while now. It's great to see the president finally address it properly.

Hahaahahahahahahahahahaha

Valhelm

contribute something
This is one of Trump's stopped clock issues but he wouldn't be doing this if the typical opioid victim wasn't a rural or suburban white person.

SeanC

Everything is lip service until they actually do something. "The likes which we never have" is his go-to phrase for rambling bullshit.

Call me when you plan to not gut the fuck out of medicaid, shithead. Sure, you can make less barriers for it, but if there's no funds for it what good is that?

Kaban

Actions speak louder than words. If the funds go towards treatment and rehabilitation of opioid addicts, that's good. If it leans more towards tossing loads of people in jail, not so good.

Either way, it's really difficult to see Trump do the right thing here.

GrapeApes

Yeah? Opioid crisis has been a problem in suburbia for a while now. It's great to see the president finally address it properly.
How do you feel about Trump supporting the end Medicaid expansion and capping the program? Do you think that would have been him addressing the situation properly?

shiba5

I thought he already hinted that law enforcement was too lax with opioid addicts - solution will be to jail them all and increase profits for private prisons.

Saganator

We don't know enough details of what they plan to do to know if he's doing it properly, though. Like making MJ legal would be small step (many have turned to MJ as an alternative), but Sessions is posturing to go in hard against MJ. I wouldn't be surprised if their answer is to jail abusers.

Ri'Orius

"We have a problem" is not a difficult thing to say. Fixing it is.

What's Trump's plan? Nationwide stop-and-frisk? Crackdown on weed as a "gateway drug"? Build a big wall (transparent, so when they chuck drugs over it they don't accidentally hit people)?

I thought he already hinted that law enforcement was too lax with opioid addicts - solution will be to jail them all and increase profits for private prisons.

He's full of shit. He doesn't have an actual position because he's been all over the board on this. And well basically everything else. Prisons one week. Stripping of Medicaid funding the next. Compassion led by Chris fuckin Christie the next.

Top Bottom