• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Declares Opioid Crisis a National Emergency

LOL @ the article's insinuation that this will result in more treatment options for Medicaid recipients or increased funding in general.

It won't.

In case you're wondering where the sudden compassion for drug offenders came from, the opioid crisis is a winner for Republicans because it affects poor, white rural communities. I can confidently say that approaching 100 percent of Trump voters know someone or have a family member that has been affected. It's decimating a generation where I live. So they're offering compassion and treatment there. Harsh sentences for minorities and the inner cities, though.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-opioid-crisis-in-black-and-white_us_594a90d1e4b07cdb1933bed5

And if this were effecting inner cities and majority black neighborhoods.

Apply this to all drugs of abuse. Or you're full of shit and playing at sympathy to get some semblance of support.

Fuck em. Expand health services and give these people real help with money and time or sit down and be quiet.

This is a good thing. Its become a really big issue. I doubt our current administration can do good on the issue, however.

Drugs as a whole needs tackling in its legality and with helping people overcome addictions and get the treatment they need. But this also falls on medical care, which is all around shit in the states. So I don't expect any sweeping changes for the better.

droggg

White people getting caught up by drugs because life as a low wage worker is fucking terrible

Raise the red alert y'all

Never thee mind minorities have had to deal with this shit for decades.

Fuckboy.

Hahaahahahahahahahahahaha

Yes because opioid addiction only affects white people...

"I'll be bringing in my good friend Rodrigo Duterte from the Philippines, who has been VERY successful in dealing with the drugs, to advise me. #MAGA"

andymcc

Banned
This is how you keep your grip on WV.

Funny how these shitheads want to repeal Obamacare and this is the same political party that shut down state run mental health facilities that bore the brunt of addiction rehab.

Pilgrimzero

When did we get back to the 80s?

Shill President
Cold War
Cuban/Korean Missle Crisis
War on Drugs
Greed is good mentality

Protein

Banned
Now that little Becky and Johnny Sue are OD'ing on PCP and heroin, the government steps in. Now we have a drug problem that's hurting our beloved citizens.

Never mind that Mr. Gonzalez and Mr. Jackson have been thrown in solitary or shot in the streets like animals for decades.

C.Mongler

Are we really going to give the man a standing ovation for essentially seeing a pile of dead bodies and saying "You know what, that's just plain terrible."

Yeah, great, he did what any sensible person would do, it just took him 6 months of his presidency to come up with a statement. Not only that but has the right ever sensibly dealt with drug issues or drug policy? Nope.

While it sure is heartwarming Mr. President found the time out of his busy schedule to remember that LSD was a thing, I don't for a second think he's going to make any positive advances on this very serious epidemic.

We don't know enough details of what they plan to do to know if he's doing it properly, though. Like making MJ legal would be small step (many have turned to MJ as an alternative), but Sessions is posturing to go in hard against MJ. I wouldn't be surprised if their answer is to jail abusers.

The OP talks about giving states more rights, giving more funding to the cause and providing addiction treatment. Maybe I'm missing something but that all seems overwhelmingly positive? I agree there's a chance he could fuck it up, but since this is an issue that concerns his strongest base of supporters... should be good?

Kill3r7

First good thing he has done as POTUS.

Are we really going to give the man a standing ovation for essentially seeing a pile of dead bodies and saying "You know what, that's just plain terrible."

Yeah, great, he did what any sensible person would do, it just took him 6 months of his presidency to come up with a statement. Not only that but has the right ever sensibly dealt with drug issues or drug policy? Nope.

While it sure is heartwarming Mr. President found the time out of his busy schedule to remember that LSD was a thing, I don't for a second think he's going to make any positive advances on this very serious epidemic.

You are right but giving him positive reinforcement on this is not a bad thing.

watershed

Banned
Opioid addiction is a national health crisis, drug addiction in black and brown communities is a crime. America, forever and always.

To be clear, I want everyone struggling with drug addiction to get the help they need and for the federal government to do their part but the dissonance is staggering.

I don't care that he thinks it's bad. That is correct, but I want to know how he wants to tackle the issue cause he could end up repeating our last addiction combatting disasters.

Law and order.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/08/trump-opioid-epidemic-heroin-241416

President Donald Trump on Tuesday vowed his administration would beat the opioid epidemic by beefing up law enforcement and strengthening security on the southern border to stop illegal drugs from entering the country.

Trump, joined in Bedminster, New Jersey, by Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price and other administration officials, emphasized a tough law-and-order approach, rather than new treatment or social programs, as the White House's primary strategy for halting an epidemic that kills 142 Americans every day, according to federal statistics.

"Strong law enforcement is absolutely vital to having a drug-free society," Trump said. "I'm confident that by working with our health care and law enforcement experts we will fight this deadly epidemic and the United States will win." The remarks echoed similar comments made by Attorney General Jeff Sessions earlier this summer.

In practice, I personally don't think WH or Congress will do much different besides more funding. However, the money has to come from Congress and I don't think there would be much funding from Congress because conservatives like the Freedom Caucus likely doesn't want a huge increase in social program funding.

People probably should pay attention to the budget this fall that is were any type of funding is likelier to pass besides a stand alone bill that focuses on it.

Mikef2000

i mean i agree with him but talk, especially with this administration, is real cheap

Pretty much this. Yes, it's the correct step to take. But just two days ago the official response from his Health and Human Services director was to NOT declare it an emergency. This strikes me as Trump just deciding to "declare a national crisis" on the fly because he gets off on the power trip. But until it's officially declared so and steps are taken to actually do something, let's not give him any credit.

Socivol

Crazy how sensible this policy on drugs at least appears when it largely affects white suburbia and rural areas. Contrast that with the War on Drugs.

This. I'm not here for this white sympathy while you still have minorities locked in in jail due to tough on crime drug policies.

RMI

Banned
on the one hand, people should get treated for drug addiction, on the other hand, it sucks that minorities only ever got (and probably will get) treated as criminals for it.

zeemumu

Trump, you can't deflect from war with drugs. You have to deflect with something of equal or greater importance

GrapeApes

The OP talks about giving states more rights, giving more funding to the cause and providing addiction treatment. Maybe I'm missing something but that all seems overwhelmingly positive? I agree there's a chance he could fuck it up, but since this is an issue that concerns his strongest base of supporters... should be good?
It doesn't give more funds though. Why are you ducking the President's support for knee capping Medicaid though? If Trump is really about trying to tackle this problem why would he be for hobbling a program that can help people with their treatment?

Trey

Trump's own health secretary said this wasn't necessary just yesterday. Is this administration on the same page about anything?

8byte

Banned
Translation: We're going to fill up these prisons yet.

Edit: Oh, just read the full details.

Good for white communities I guess. A day late and a dollar short for everyone else who've been suffering for decades.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Almost 40 years after crack destroyed the streets but NOW the federal government decides to help because Johnny & Jenny are popping xanax by the dozens. Get fucked.

Drug addiction is going to continue to get worse as long as the elite use the government as a tool to enrich themselves at the expense of the majority. Treating the symptom and ignoring the source of the problem won't solve anything.

C.Mongler

You are right but giving him positive reinforcement on this is not a bad thing.

He can have some positive reinforcement once he's actually made a dent in the problem, and not just by locking up addicts, either. Until then I'm going to remain entirely skeptical.

Socivol

Almost 40 years after crack destroyed the streets but NOW the federal government decides to help because Johnny & Jenny are popping xanax by the dozens. Get fucked.

Basically how I feel. The audacity of Jefferson Sessions to try to make punishment on weed even more severe when you have something like this happening is completely transparent. They will continue to criminalize drugs for minorities communities while giving white ones sympathy and a slap on a wrist.

I mean, good.

Ill give credit where credit is due. This is a good thing.

They're empty words. He's still harping on a healthcare plan that guts Medicaid and destroys even current funding for opioid abuse. His administration has also come out talking about heavy handed approaches like prison to deal with it.

I'm not sure why he deserves any credit for lip service.

Top Bottom